Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My story with Topa

Hi everyone,

I wanted to post here since I came across your site not too long ago. Basically, 2 years ago I decided I wanted to do something to cut down on drinking and I came across a research study that was invesitgating a "medication" approach. Well, I called and was accepted and it turned out to be a study regarding alcohol dependence and topiramate.

I was given a 50/50 shot of getting a placebo or the real thing and was to titrate up to 300 mg a day. After my first pill I knew I had the real thing, I was suddenly not hungry and within days I couldn't drink soda. I soon titrated up to 150 mgs a day and experienced some side effects. I had sleepiness, upset stomach, metallic taste, lost 15 pounds (I was only 125 to start), tingling in hands and feet and ringing in my ears (never heard anyone else mention that one). They wanted me to go up to 300 mg per day but as soon as I hit 200 I couldn't take it any more (especially the buzzing in my ears) and I begged them to let me go back to the 150 (they agreed after discussing with the manufacturer who sponsored the study).

While this was going on we worked on cutting down my drinking. Initially when I started the topa it was difficult, but as the weeks wore on it became easy. Strangely easy. I ended up giving up alcohol mid-way into the study and was abstinent for 3-4 months without worry. Also, while I initially had borderline high blood pressure it was normal all throughout the study.

After the study ended I eventually started drinking again. Then my father died and I gave up all attempts at stopping. So, now, having found these forums I really want to go on topa again and am interested in ordering it from an online pharmacy. I don't have a relationship with a physician who would prescribe it for me.

One other concern I have that I wonder if anyone could speak to: has anyone been able to order the medication online without their spouse finding out? Although he knew about the study I would like to do this on my own as he felt that the topa side effects were not worth it.

Thanks for letting me share my story.

Anne

My story with Topa

Thanks so much for sharing your story with us, Anne. Really valuable 'hands-on' experience. I can relate to some of the side effects, especially the 'ringing in the ear' one. I have the same problem, but I actually trace that one to the intake of an anti-depressant I am still taking - Zoloft. I'm on a very low dose, and titrating down. But this side effect may or may not go away I was told. Are you on any other medication, that might bring on this side effect?

As for ordering Topa online, I understand the challenge. I'm fortunate enough to buy at the chemist on prescription. Be very careful which online pharmacy you order it from, because there are a lot of fraudsters online - and you could up harming your body with poison, rather than with genuine drugs. As to whether you could order the medication without your spouse knowing it, that's a hard one to call. I hope some of our other members can help out on that one.

Best,
    Paddy
    Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

My story with Topa

Hi Anne,
      Thanks for sharing your story. Its very encouraging. Lots of people on here by from Aclepsa. Its the cheapest place we've found, they are efficient and deliver in plain envelopes so your spouse need not see the contents.
      Here is a link to look at
      Buy Generic Topamax (Topiramate) Online :: Aclepsa.com.
      I hope that helps you.
      Suz
      Suz
      Happy to be sober since 07 Sept 09.

Comment

My story with Topa

Hey Suz haven't heard from you in a while how's it going?
        K

Comment

My story with Topa

thanks

Hi all,

Thanks for the encouragement. I ordered from Aclepsa and have my fingers crossed and am actually relieved to know that I'm on the road now. I already got my email saying that my order was approved and on the way.

I still can't figure what I am going to tell my husband when he sees the charge on the charge card??? If anyone has any good cover stories, please share!!

A

Comment

My story with Topa

Yup-
            Suz is right. I ordered from them & it came in a brown envelope. At first I thought I ordered something on e-bay I forgot about!
            :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

My story with Topa

There you go Annie- say it's something from e-bay and then go shopping!
              :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

My story with Topa

Say, I can't tell you, it's a gift. (He'll think it's for him, but it's really for both of you!)
                Mama T.
                Found MWO Feb. 17, 2007

Comment

My story with Topa

:new: Hi everybody my name is alexis and I am delighted to be able to access this site. At present I am anxiously awaitng the book, cds and supplements. I am unwilling to ask a gp or any other professional for a perscription and understand that you can buy on line from Aclepsa.com, however i am unsure if I should give the real reason for obtaining topomax or whether I should say that I have epilepsy:new: .
                  Thank-you in anticipation of a reply

Comment

My story with Topa

I said "for alcohol craving management" and it arrived 10 days later!

I'm on 150mg daily and it is working brilliantly.

Comment

My story with Topa

if i upset you i'm very sorry

honestly

Comment

My story with Topa

???

Comment

My story with Topa

Hitting the 200 mgs mark and the ringing in my ear drives me nuts!

Interestingly, I hit the 200 mgs mark a week and a half ago. While the alcohol off switch was also reached with the 200 mgs TOPA, the ringing in my ear started a week ago, and it's become REALLY annoying.

So, as off today I went down again to my most comfy dose of 175 mgs, even though it's not the most effective dose (unfortunately!). But the ringing in my ear drives me NUTS!

Just an update. Don't know if any of you had this experience? I'm sort of glad I read this thread here to confirm my experience.
                          Paddy
                          Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

My story with Topa

ringing in ears

Paddy,

Sorry to hear you are having that annoying noise in your ears. It's hard to describe, I know, but it is LOUD and you cannot concentrate at all.

I just got my topa in the mail last week and started it this week. Unbelievable. Even at 25mg it has dropped my alcohol intake immediately. Suddenly I can stop. This drug is really amazing. It is worth the side effects for me, although at 25 mg I don't really have any except taste changes and slight fatigue.

Well, I will go up to 50 mg next week to see if it further lessens my alcohol intake.

Anne

Comment

My story with Topa

I love topa and wish I could take it forever.
                              Gabby :flower:

Comment

Working...
                              X