Newbie ready to change-Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to introduce myself as Dain...(for Dana) I can see the real people here are exactly what I've been needing and looking for for too many years now. Not rehab or AA meetings.
    I woke up ashamed and wanting to cry all day like many who understand these feelings and why we have them. I have got to stop my destructive behaviors and hope to make some friends here to help me as I get started. I am trying abstinence to start until March 31, (I'm using the calendar)
    I drink 2 or 3 times a week and usually end up...staying up all night and being worthless the next day (like today)
    I will lose what I have left if I can't stop this deathstyle and look forward to those of you I will meet to help me. I will also do my best to help and support you and others.:angel:
    I am a 40 year old woman with 5 teen daughters and a 21 year old son. (also a new grandaughter) :helpme:
    I am a self employed real estate agent, so it's easy to hide my problem when I don't make it to work in my home office!
    I would very much like to be at my best each day for myself, family and clients. Help me, and I will not abandoned this place and pay forward what I get here.:armsaround:
    Thanks in advance. I hope to find advice and support from a few of you very soon, before I'd mess up again.ray:

Hi Dain and :welcome:

I'm glad you found us. I too remember waking up and feeling bad but you know ... it really can get better!

Stick with us. Read the posts. Read RJ's book and then make a decision as to which route you want to follow.

There is a way. You'll get loads of support from people who may, over time, become really important friends - all dealing with the same struggle - because we've all been there.

Look forward to seeing you around.

Comment

Welcome Dain!
      I understand having a working situation to hide it in - the teenagers (though not quite as many...lol!), and trying to keep up the professional front and example in front of your children... its so miserable and really sabotages your self esteem! I have currently sold my business last June as we moved, so that has taken a lot of pressues off of me, but also taken away a lot of friendships I once had to fill my time etc. So there are many women here who can empathize with your story and support and encourage you. If you havent already, please navigate around the site until you find where you can order the pdf. file and download the book. It is an easy read and you can download it right now at home so you can get started on the program right away. Most everything you will need can be bought at your local GNC or health food store, or even grocery store.

Wishing you the best of luck! Post often and ask questions as you need to in the beginning. Lots of great people here to help you.

Glad to have you...
      Allie
      What happens in Vegas goes straight to Ohio....

Comment

Welcome Dain, there are lots of us here who understand what you are going through. Read the posts and reply to some and also write your thoughts down here. It has helped me so much i can't tell you! Lots of luck to you. Bella xx

Comment

:welcome: Dain!

We all know the feeling of despair, crying does help but you are right this is what I was looking for, for many year to - so come here and cry if you want - boy I want to burst into song - "ITS MY PARTY AND I CAN CRY IF I WANT TO" well enough of that I sound terrible - this place makes you want to sing and even join the birds in the morning - every morning I get up to see what I have missed during the night - the time zone thing is a killer for me but her down South in South Africa - but you know what no matter what time I log in - there is always someone here, and they are never to busy to listen or hold out a hand - they even dish out hug?s.:l

Congrats on the new granddaughter - that?s such a blessing enjoy her.
          Though no one can go back and make a brand-new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand-new ending

Comment

hi Dain

welcome on board..i really hope you gain from this site.

There is nothing worse than creeping around feeling guilty ,presumably family are aware you drink , maybe the kids recognise you have a problem...Then comes the guilt ..we feel we have taught our kids too the drinking habit .

Well you sound like you are ready to jump onto day one of alcohol free?not sure why march 31st as the goal ?
            my goal was for lent...40 days of alcohol free and guess what amazingly i am on target.hubby and a grilfriend are in this with me so we are all on Day 32...we got started a bit before Ash Wednesday/

i too felt like crap each morning holding down a professional job and even supporting people in my job who have alcohol problems...what a joke!

eventially i came to realise this is not what i need. I too have a grandaughter and would like to be around to have fun with her for a lot more years.

so get a plan for today to have ready to action when you hit the danger time for that first drink!

As a women there is always room to get fit, exersxe, get walking, health eating .

the drink takes all self respect and we may ignore the physical a=effects.. iget scared about the state my liver and pancreas must be in.

i have to say i havent read the book or taken supplements so far but I do eat healthily now and plan( boringly so i know 0 what i intend to do in my danger time 9 - 11pm0

for me it works...tonight is planned out, beauty stuff, DVD, getting the WOK out, a walk etc.

If i get the cravings i get on this site for an hour for inspitation!!!

dont hide at home..you sound like you have alot to offer . Get healthy..get yourmind and body healthier....maybe after all this effort i wont end up "canary yellow from liver disease...wearing incontinence pads...(alcohol sure makes me wee more!!) with a face of broken veins, bad breath , black teeth ( i havent got those yet)...and a low mood from going about hiding my guilt from family and friends.

Dana you are ready to rock on this issue so spend a little time preparing day one of this journey of change!1

i,ve never been so plucked waxed and alert for years!i

i went out with my girlfriend for a curry last night and we had fun without the booze...noticed a few chaps looking at us(i,m happily married) but its good for my ego!!

My hint for whats worked for me to get to day 32 alcohol free are in summary
            1. get on this site daily at first..maybe especially when you crave a drink

2. plan things to do in your normal drinking time

3. pray? im catholic and a bit of spiritual reading am and evening helps with a few prayers

4.Get a healthylifestyle plan..there is always room for improvement isnt there.

4. Get a trusted friend to join you on the alcohol free journey for a while..maybe it will help her too?

4. keep a drinks diary and be hones twith yourself

5. for treats...dont overeat...buy perfume, a new top anything for a confidence boost

Finally for me i darent look to far ahead.. At first i just planned the first evening of AF and
            felt accountable to my friend who i sent a text to each am to report in!!like a private AA group..also got on this site each am to report in!! it worked for me might for you??

you will feel grea tif you can somehow get through today without a drink..go get those jogging trousers on..plan a beauty therapy evening..get plucking waxing anything ..but dont pop the cork!

if you cant sleep tonight...read, get a hot chocolate ,get on this site, clean the kitchen .its mad behaviour at first as you may be restless but irt settles down after a while.

good Luck Dana and keep posting

Regards Cassy

Comment

Thanks, I AM coming here EVERYDAY

I have checked out much of the site and it's just what I have been looking for and hoping will play a big part in what I need to do day by day now since I am an alcoholic and believing in My Way Out and our new friendship with good anticipation!
              Thanks, I vowed to myself that I AM coming here EVERYDAY

:thanks: :thanks:
              tawnyfrog;110216 wrote: Hi Dain and :welcome:

I'm glad you found us. I too remember waking up and feeling bad but you know ... it really can get better!

Stick with us. Read the posts. Read RJ's book and then make a decision as to which route you want to follow.

There is a way. You'll get loads of support from people who may, over time, become really important friends - all dealing with the same struggle - because we've all been there.

Look forward to seeing you around.

Comment

Allie, I wrote back tothe first person who replied to me (Tawny) If you are here often, you will see me, I look forward to getting to know others like me and finally having good type of support. I will read the book and take advantage of the advice I found so far including YOUR advice. Thank you very much

Comment

Bella, thank you very much, I plan to do what you say, I look forward to getting to know more about you and the others as we may be able to communicate each day :-)

Comment

Kimmy, Thanks for your reply, it made me believe more thanever what I think I found here may be real...including so much great stuff, I will need to put this site on a strict schedule to stay productive in the other tasks of life!
                    Thanks, Kaylee is a blessing! (grandaughter 6 mos.) But the stress of the 18 year old with father of it in jail and what to do, wow, I WAS DRINKING EVERYDAY Last year!

South Africa huh? that's interesting! I'm in Pittsburgh PA.
                    See you again soon, I'll look for you:-)

Comment

WOW, Cassie, at first I thought how will I have time to read and answer my 5 replies. From start to yours at finish I have tears of Joy rolling. Sounds like I'm a weirdo now!
                      You response was also perfect. I WILL take all of your advice and already do some of the things. I wil probably not crave a drink till Fri or Sat night. March 31 in days with NO drink. I would prefer to be a moderate drinker if possible later. I will think about my next week or months plan when it gets here. YOU WILL SEE ME HERE EVERYDAY, but I have not began work yet due to this wonderful site and will probably get on later in afternoons or evenings so that I get through work first! :-)
                      Thanks so much!!! You are appreciated a lot today!

Comment

Hi Dain,
                        I remember only too well feeling exactly thesame.
                        But once you decide to stop drinking things get
                        better,but why wait,start to feel better now,not
                        31 March.
                        Best wishes.x

Comment

Welcome Dain! - Glad you've joined us! I found that after I'd stopped drinking I had so much more time to do productive things that I could easily justify all the time I spent here! Best of luck with it all and ENJOY! - it's the start of the rest of your life so take back control and make of it what you will - we're all here to help you on your way, so again, :welcome: !
                          :rays: Arial

Last first day - 15th April 2012
                          Goals:
                          Days 1-7 DONE
                          Days 8-14 DONE
                          Days 15-21 DONE
                          30 days DONE
                          60 days
                          100 days

Comment

Working...
                          X