Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 types of Moderators. What type are you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This post is designed for those that have been trying to moderate or control their drinking. Those that abstain may definitely relate to the struggles shared here as trying to control one's drinking can come with many challenges.

WHAT TYPE OF MODERATOR ARE YOU?

I finished an excellent book written by two PhD?s who are advocates that moderation can work for some people. What I was surprised to read was that their research placed people who moderate in 5 different categories. I wanted to share the info as I thought it would be thought provoking for us. My personal belief is that some areas may cross over into others. You?ll see what I mean after I share the info. I will also share how I feel I fit in and wonder where you think you do.

The Stable Moderator: These are people who have found that moderation works well for them and once they cut down it?s no longer a struggle. They can take it or leave it. They don?t feel like ?controlled? drinkers. They don?t drink daily and when they do they have one or two without the craving for having more. Their drinking poses no real problems and they are comfortable with moderation.

The Pretty Good Moderator: These people (like the stable moderators) have cut down on their drinking but still may have days when they drink too much and still have problems related to their drinking but nothing as severe as before.

The White-Knuckle Moderator: Although these folks have tapered down their drinking they find it?s a continual struggle to keep it under control. They often feel like they?re on a tightrope and could fall at any time. They find moderation to be an awful lot of work as they find that they drink less but still want more oftentimes. In the long run they usually decide it isn?t worth the effort and they quit drinking altogether.

Pointless Moderation
    : Even if these folks succeeded in moderating and didn?t struggle to keep their drinks down to safe levels, they started to wonder what the point is in drinking so little. Previously they drank to get drunk so now they have found alcohol has lost its meaning.

Nice Try
    : These folks tried to moderate but didn?t have much success with it. They may have had some days of moderation but ended up going right back to completely overdoing it. The experience of giving it a good but unsuccessful try helped them to let go of the idea of controlling their drinking and they chose to abstain rather than to continue to harm themselves and others.

I wish I could say I was in the first group. Wouldn?t that be nice. I fluctuate between the Pretty Good Moderator and the White Knuckle Moderator. Most often I can have one or two drinks and feel satiated. There are times however when I still struggle and want to have another drink. Sometimes this happens when we get home from an evening out where I allowed myself two drinks. Now I am home and really want a third drink. I purposely try to not have alcohol in my home because I never know when a crazy craving is going to hit or when it isn?t. Because it can be such a ?white knuckle? event for me at times, I do entertain the thought here and there of completely abstaining and getting off of the merry go round. Being a ?white Knuckler? is not a lot of fun.

There may be some very lucky ones who fall into the stable moderator role. Perhaps those are some of the people who leave the board as they took the advice they got here, felt moderating wasn?t a difficult thing to do, and they don?t want to be reminded of their previous struggle so they don?t come back to post anymore.

I have read others (who abstain) say there?s no point in only having two drinks so people like that would fall into the Pointless Moderation category. And there are many who have been real honest with us and shared that they gave it a go but it just wasn't working for them and they felt they would have more peace and freedom by letting go of the thought that moderating could work for them.

Share your thoughts friends, where do you think you fit in?

The book is entitled Controlling your Drinking, by William R. Miller and Ricardo Munoz. Has lots of good information.

:l
    Eve11
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Hi Eve - I fall right where you do. Over the past few monrhs I have cut out about 50% of my drinking. I do not have it in the house for the same reason that you do. I go for days feeling good and not even thinking much about drinking and then all of the sudden "wham" I totally blow it and drink way too much. If I go out and have one or two I often find myself wanting more to continue the buzz. I have heard that moderation is not possible but right now there is where I am. I am not sure you can call me successful because I still struggle. Thanks for the book recommendation, I am going to check it out.
    Make it a great day!:heart:

Comment

I am in the same place both of you are. I do well for a time, at this point i have cut down 50-60% I find that I have a hard time when i am in a situation that is out of the ordinary like at a bar or at someones house. If I am at home I can limit myself.
      ALL I HAVE TO DO IS GET THOUGH THIS DAY AF

Comment

Eve11;1451828 wrote: This post is designed for those that have been trying to moderate or control their drinking. Those that abstain may definitely relate to the struggles shared here as trying to control one's drinking can come with many challenges.

WHAT TYPE OF MODERATOR ARE YOU?

I finished an excellent book written by two PhD?s who are advocates that moderation can work for some people. What I was surprised to read was that their research placed people who moderate in 5 different categories. I wanted to share the info as I thought it would be thought provoking for us. My personal belief is that some areas may cross over into others. You?ll see what I mean after I share the info. I will also share how I feel I fit in and wonder where you think you do.

The Stable Moderator: These are people who have found that moderation works well for them and once they cut down it?s no longer a struggle. They can take it or leave it. They don?t feel like ?controlled? drinkers. They don?t drink daily and when they do they have one or two without the craving for having more. Their drinking poses no real problems and they are comfortable with moderation.

The Pretty Good Moderator: These people (like the stable moderators) have cut down on their drinking but still may have days when they drink too much and still have problems related to their drinking but nothing as severe as before.

The White-Knuckle Moderator
        : Although these folks have tapered down their drinking they find it?s a continual struggle to keep it under control. They often feel like they?re on a tightrope and could fall at any time. They find moderation to be an awful lot of work as they find that they drink less but still want more oftentimes. In the long run they usually decide it isn?t worth the effort and they quit drinking altogether.

Pointless Moderation
        : Even if these folks succeeded in moderating and didn?t struggle to keep their drinks down to safe levels, they started to wonder what the point is in drinking so little. Previously they drank to get drunk so now they have found alcohol has lost its meaning.

Nice Try
        : These folks tried to moderate but didn?t have much success with it. They may have had some days of moderation but ended up going right back to completely overdoing it. The experience of giving it a good but unsuccessful try helped them to let go of the idea of controlling their drinking and they chose to abstain rather than to continue to harm themselves and others.

I wish I could say I was in the first group. Wouldn?t that be nice. I fluctuate between the Pretty Good Moderator and the White Knuckle Moderator. Most often I can have one or two drinks and feel satiated. There are times however when I still struggle and want to have another drink. Sometimes this happens when we get home from an evening out where I allowed myself two drinks. Now I am home and really want a third drink. I purposely try to not have alcohol in my home because I never know when a crazy craving is going to hit or when it isn?t. Because it can be such a ?white knuckle? event for me at times, I do entertain the thought here and there of completely abstaining and getting off of the merry go round. Being a ?white Knuckler? is not a lot of fun.

There may be some very lucky ones who fall into the stable moderator role. Perhaps those are some of the people who leave the board as they took the advice they got here, felt moderating wasn?t a difficult thing to do, and they don?t want to be reminded of their previous struggle so they don?t come back to post anymore.

I have read others (who abstain) say there?s no point in only having two drinks so people like that would fall into the Pointless Moderation category. And there are many who have been real honest with us and shared that they gave it a go but it just wasn't working for them and they felt they would have more peace and freedom by letting go of the thought that moderating could work for them.

Share your thoughts friends, where do you think you fit in?

The book is entitled Controlling your Drinking, by William R. Miller and Ricardo Munoz. Has lots of good information.

Eve11
        Eve:

We had this conversation before and I told you I never really heard of the term moderation before I came to MWO. And I just wanted to add one more possibility of moderators who might have left MWO---those who felt judged or no longer felt comfortable posting their experiences here...

Whether I am an abstainer or a moderator, I just know alcohol isn't good for my liver .
        Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
        A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Alcoholic;1451887 wrote: ...I just wanted to add one more possibility of moderators who might have left MWO---those who felt judged or no longer felt comfortable posting their experiences here...
          Ally,

Unfortunately that part is probably true. When we share our thoughts and feelings here we are really sharing things with the world. Sometimes the world isn't as supportive or understanding as we want it to be. Sometimes too, this online world can be confusing as things can be misconstrued or misunderstood when we don't have eye contact, can't hear tone and inflection, etc. For newbies, please know that you can always send a private message (pm) to anyone you feel comfortable with. Just click on their name and a drop down bar will give you the option to send a pm. Sometimes we need to talk to someone but don't want the whole world to know. This feature helps.

Eve11

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

I think I am probably a 'nice try' moderator who has not yet decided to fully abstain! I have been here a number of times in the past 3-4 years or so - I can't remember if I've tried moderating 2 or 3 times now, but I have never been able to keep it up and have always gone back to overdoing it and drinking daily. I overdid it last night and sit here with a headache and thinking I need to try again. Or something. Not sure what just yet. A couple of years ago I abstained during lent and then tried moderating after. Did fine for a few months probably but summers usually get me right back into my routine which ultimately gets back to daily drinking, and anywhere from 2-6 drinks per day, usually around 3-4. Anyway, I'm thinking of trying that again...not drinking during Lent, that is. And then decide if I want to continue 'not drinking' or if I want to try moderating again. It's frustrating to keep coming back to the same place.

Comment

Cool thread. I am in the same place as you. For a long periods at certain points in my life I was a solid pretty good...lately, I must admit, I have veered between that and white knuckler, especially now when things seem hopeless (non-alcohol related).

I have given up alcohol for lent. my last drink(s) were on Wednesday (if Lent already started, sorry). It was 3 1/2 glasses of wine, which is one and half over my limit...(for wine)I felt unusually off the next day...I think a lot of that has to with the change of my diet....anyway, let see how this lent thing goes.

Comment

book

Great book Eve! Well worth reading.

Comment

Bump for myself and other newbies.

Very interesting topic. I'm a Pretty Good Moderator. I don't drink very much, but drink daily. I very very seldom drink more than I should - beyond my two glasses.

BUT I would like to have more control, i.e. have days when I don't drink at all. Hence my baclofen try this time around.

The Stable Moderator sounds like what we would call "a normal drinker." That's the target I guess. Thanks for the book idea.
                  JMum
                  My first "indifference experience" Saturday January 11, 2014. Thank God for Baclofen!

Comment

Thanks for the bump for the newbies Jazi. I forget some of these old posts sometimes. This one was interesting and has lots of food for thought.

Eve11

Comment

I was a white knuckle moderator....constantly trying to tame that wild hair that would stand at attention and say more, more, more
                      then I was a nice try which is why iam choosing to abstain as of now. I'd moderate for weeks and then blow it in a black out bender of a night
                      great post

Comment

Yes, thank you Jazi for the bump and also to Eve for posting this in the first place.

I'm still too early in this return to categorize myself, but in past years would curiously put myself bouncing between pretty good and pointless. I found myself having days where my "moderation" was simply to decide to drink that day, although I had indeed been moderating up until then (and for me moderation includes AF days). The only thing left of moderation was an ability to stop before it got way out of hand.

I'm finding myself a bit more reflective this time round. One thing is that the argument has changed from "why shouldn't I drink today?" to "why should I drink today?" I forget who it was but someone used to have a signature saying "I drink occasionally. Everyday is not an occasion." I need to put that on my fridge!!

Comment

I always liked this thread. I think I am at pretty good moderator at this point. Many times I feel bad, without drinking that much, which makes it kind of weird, but whatever.

Comment

Oh how have I wished and prayed I could go through life as a stable or pretty good moderator, but unfortunately for me I am a White Knuckler ALL THE WAY..

Here's a question for you Eve, Does the book discuss the posssibility that White Knucklers can become stable or pretty good or are we white knuckler's for life? And therefore the hope of becoming a "real" moderator is completley out of the question for the likes of us?
                            On a mission, and the only option is success. My family and I deserve a better life, an AF life.:h

Comment

Working...
                            X