New, unmotivated, panicked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

:new: I'm a 43 year-old mother of 3, happily married. I have been drinking for a few years now but the amount I drink has increased. For a long time I thought I didn't really have a problem as I only drank wine, never drank before the evening time... but then as I say, I wanted to drink more, thought about it earlier in the evening, and started to panic that if I wasn't careful I might get to a point where I couldn't stop. So after MONTHS of telling myself I would stop, I did, last Monday. I am now on my 7th alcohol free day. I haven't had DTs or anything, but have been irritable, exhausted and on 4th day tearful. I've also felt very hungry and had dreadful sugar cravings (I don't usually have a sweet tooth at all). I have also come to realise that I don't need medecine to help me: i need motivation. And this is what is really worrying me. Nothing in this AF life gives me the 'high' that drinking did. I know I should be feeling an inner thrill or something because of my achievement. God knows, I took long enough to get round to feeling able to do it. Yet, I don't. Each day I wonder whether I'll have a drink or not. Thus far I haven't; my husband is so thrilled I'm not falling asleep on the sofa each night. But I have to get some motivation inside me. I used to be bulemic, and now I am very fearful that I will switch one for the other. I am eating like a pig! I see a therapist, do gym 2 x week and am being supervised by my GP. I feel there's no hope. If I don't want it from within; it won't happen. Then what will become of me? ....

I am new here too... My drinking has got worse over a two year period ,, I kept telling my self i did not have a problem but you dont realise you have a problem untill you try to stop then you realise that its got a grip .... i am going to take it a day at a time . there is hope and you will get support on here ... i will try and motivate myself at night rather than sinking into oblivion with a bottle in hand ... I want a better life and dont want to end up with no one , so dont give up chin up girlie

Comment

Welcome CookingHappy,
      I can so relate to your story and many that follow will too. I have 3 children and am married. It seemed after children for some reason I started drinking more and more and with the help of the people here and the support of this site I have been able to get a grip on my life and my drinking. I came from a very dark place, for me at least, where I wasn't remembering my nights and was scared for me and my kids. Keep posting and reading.
      Best of luck to you!
      "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Wow! Seven days AF. That's amazing, but I can relate to the feeling your having about that achievement not being enough satisfaction. There are so many different reasons why people drink. For me I think it was simple boredom at first. Then it became a habit I couldn't break. I have cut way back since finding this website (and I started counseling and was prescribed an anti-depressant/anti-anxiety) but that hasn't made me instantly happier either. I'm very glad to be getting a handle on the drinking thing, but I'm facing the fact that I have to find some other way to get that "high" too. That's a work in progress. But I totally get where your coming from. We've got to fill our previous drinking time with other activities that bring us happiness (but what?). I'd suggest logging on the MYO website as often as you can. I log on here every day. The people here provide good insight and inspiration. Good luck!

Julie

Comment

Cook,
          you hit the nail on the head... "if i dont want it from within, it wont happen" is what you said.

Well you know the nuts and bolts of it then... and you are speaking the truth.

But you are HERE.. so you DO want it. Well done. If you DO want it then its yours. Question is.. how will you do it and what will support you.

You are over the procrasinating and into the action.. and that is where the change kicks in.

Well done and welcome.
          Brigid

Comment

i feel exactly the same way. I make a big effort to quit and I feel depressed and miserable all the way through and its on my mind all day and im waiting to feel free! The longest i have gone is 6 weeks and at that stage im totally depressed but I so desperatly want to give it up.

Comment

Welcome new members:welcome:

Have you read the book? In the case of happy cooking, it sounds as if you, like me have hypoglycemia. After a glass of wine by body just craved more until I usually passed out. I had to follow a hypoglycemic diet and that helped the sugar cravings. Also in the recommended supps the all in one powder and L-Glu are amino acids that help with the sugar cravings, and the kukzu helps with the alcohol cravings. I encourage you do the things recommended in the book, as well as listening to the cd's. Some find them a little irritating at first but I believe they work.

Keep posting.
              Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Hello Happycooking,
                I'd just like to say 'Hi' and thanks for finding us.
                Welcome.

Comment

Thank you.

I'd like to thank you all for your support. When it's your first posting, you can barely believe there will be a response; that you are all real! But your words, and ideas are really helpful. I am curious about the hypoglycemia.

Thought sugar cravings must be withdrawal from alchohol sugar. Wonder if fake sugar like "Splenda" is better at not mucking around with blood sugar levels.

Does anyone know how long all the CD and supplements stuff that comes from the States takes to get to Europe, or if it can come more quickly from Europe?

Can someone also tell me in what way the topo helped them?:thanks:

Victoria

Comment

Which would you advise as being the most motivational cd? I also want to lose weight as well as stop drinking, and really want that sort of supportive message. Thanks.

Comment

Hello Cooking:
                      I have been on the Topa for about 1 1/2 months now and am up to 150mgs a day. It has made a huge impact on my cravings. I still have a glass (or two) of wine in the evenings, but I no longer drink 8-10 big vodka drinks per night, black out, and not remember what I did the night before. My life has improved dramatically. I am married and a mother of two with a full time job so you can see it was a desparately needed change in my life. I do not listen to the cds but I do take the Kudzu. So glad you have found us and I wish you success.

Hugs!
                      Learning to live life on the outside of a bottle. :flower:

Comment

Cooking, i am new hear and want to quit drinking also. Good luck to us both on our journey
                        Its strange being sober; huh, so this is how normal people are :H

Comment

Just saying hi Cookie, you are in the right place please believe me! Yes we are all on the same struggle (evening for me, same as you), I win more than I lose nowadays and that is because of this site, keep loggin on, keep posting when you feel like it and most of all look and listen to those senior members!!!! Big hugs to you, you will very soon feel like part of the family. Lorna xx
                          Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

Dear Cooking,

:welcome:

I too like SKendall, am hypoglycemic and never felt like sugar while drinking. I didn't realize how much sugar I was really pouring into my poor little body!! She gave you excellent advise on the diet end. I think the weight or inches will come off, getting into some exercises and just stopping the drinking for awhile.

The CD's helped me tremendously change my attitude. All of the sudden I did not need to drink every night, nor huge amounts when I did drink.

Keep coming back, you can do this!!

Captain and all the othe newies :welcome: aboard!!

Comment

hi cooking happy..welcome on board this site.

i note your comment that you want to lose weight too..what worked for me and still does is get going on clearing the crap out of the fridge,,buy seasonal fruits, eat fruit and yoghurt for breakfast. PREPARE AND PLAN...boring as it is ..like the booze it stops me being impusive.

so get the carrots/ celery cut and in the fridge, a big box of dates, sunflower seeeds, nuts also at the ready. soft drinks...sugar fee, chilled water, soda water...wplan luch and evening meals... baked potatoes , sALADS...get the wok out and stir fry prawns, ginger whatever...

Clear out the booze cupboard
                              meals planned

stage 3 for me was i need to exercixe...joined a class, go walking in the evenings...take the kids...make it fun(depending on their ages?..go swim , get on the bike...anything just move yourself regularly

stage 4...we are women that want to look our best..go clear out you knicker drawer...no room for faded , baggy knickers in your new life!!

clear the wardrobe to the charity shop..but a new outfit for the weekend .. even if its a top, or get new make up. get hair done, nails...no end of bits to pluck , wax, and moisturises.

Get support sorted,,ring a close friend each am maybe to be accountable? get hubby to join you on your goal..maybe 30 days AF or just try it for today?

Keep a drinks diary and write down triggers, emotions etc.

Maybe you have a faith?? i find a bit of spiritual reading/praying on waking..sets me up and then i have to discipline myself to do 10 -15 mins in the evenings.

get a new hobby

i can only say for myself some of these strategies helped me get onto the first day, and second and so on..it hasnt been easy and i hope i dont sound smug..but its pure pleasure to be able to have woken up to day 37 alcohol free today...several pounds lighter and with my self respect coming back.

good Luck..and get planning ..it really helps

regards Cassy

Comment

Working...
                              X