af day Sunday 3 March

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

af day Sunday 3 March

MAE Absters! This time I think I got the date right in the title cos I don't want tricky Mick missing my breakfast call! Its pancakes today - will make banana ones. Tea already brewed and coffee to come. Todays of course the day Mick has an early start.

Looks like folk are very busy and that sounds good - means we have a life! But I think its important to nurture our own sanity and sobriety in the midst of busy-ness. Sounds like we are getting - or have got - really good at prioritising what matters - and I think being sober really helps to make that call in an efficient and clearer way. So we make sure we have the time for families, friends, bankers, beaux, work, exercise, spiritual connection, creativity, gardening - whatever is important to us, and what is important to our loved ones and what really matters in our jobs. As I said yesterday I am trying to sort through some of the material and mental 'stuff' that I think has distracted me - and when I was drinking it was easier to let that stuff mount up. To the point where it becomes consuming and panic sets in...

So Patrice - I am with Lavande on this one - try to do a brief daily check in cos we don't care if its just 'hi, bye' - we want to support you (You can always add a few lines about Penang and Malaysia for the virtual travellers here). The daily resolve to not drink is so important if abstinence is your goal - you know that! Its soon adds up and just becomes normal. But its up to you. I too am easily distracted by the web but usually I can say no - shut the bloody thing down or not start reading MWO threads that can take you all over the place. Don't feel rotten about not posting to help others - that can come later - its you that matters. Also you work with students and I know how mentally and emotionally demanding that can be. And you are a Mum. Hope I don't sound bossy - just trying to lend a hand here.

Nothing exciting planned for me today - catching up with work stuff and hope to go for a walk. Leaving the jokes for the Jock to post - hope for the rest of you the weekend is going swell.
    Ta Ta for Now....

af day Sunday 3 March

oh ho might have an early start ..but just nipped in to see you all...4.30 am up 240 mile round trip..have a great day
    af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

af day Sunday 3 March

386 kilometres. A lot of driving. Take care!

Comment

af day Sunday 3 March

yoo hoo:hiya:quick hello
        af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

af day Sunday 3 March

Mick;1471832 wrote: yoo hoo:hiya:quick hello
          Yoo hoo :hiya: :goodjob: on your 8 months

Comment

af day Sunday 3 March

mae abs

TT - I liked your surprise birthday flowers; how romantic

Have you thought of a suitable gift yet Mick? I must try to avoid the picture with no sound scenarios (which I've been this weekend, grumpy moi!) Your pics are lovely and your plants are so healthy.

Have a fun day. Public holiday here tomorrow. Labor Day. And also first day of semester, the day when I was going to be way ahead of everyone... the best laid plans...

Comment

af day Sunday 3 March

I had a birthday party to attend tonight. Hubby and I did not feel like going....as it had snowed and we literally have not have sun for about 4 days. Just being lazy all day. But we both knew we really had to show up.

So off we went....and I found myself plunked down on the couch....being rather unsocial. That is not usually like me. I wondered if it was because I wasn't drinking. We left earlier than normal. I felt really bad for not being more engaged with people. About a half hour of being home.....I got really sick.

Here my behavior was more linked to me coming down with the flu.....than not drinking. It was a learning event for me....my brain of course first off thought it was because I wasn't drinking.....rather than being tuned into....that I really wasn't feeling well.

Patrice....I understand and do what is best for you. I sometimes get sucked in as well....and it could be time better spent.

TT...Good yoga makes me happy Life is stressful....I hold alot of tension in my body...drinking was the quick cure....for me yoga is the best way to release the tension.

I am going to go to Massage Therapy training....I don't know that I would take it up as a profession.....but....I want to learn about the pressure points correctly. I went to an open house and volunteered to be a "demo".....I told her I was holding alot of pressure in my neck, shoulders and into my back. She did work on me that wasn't so much a massage as holding meridans in my neck and elbow....after 15 minutes....my neck, shoulders and back were feeling amazing. That is the stuff that excites me. How energy travels through the body.

Mick...I agree that we learn by experience. What I meant by a clean slate.....was what would I do.....if at 18 I knew what I knew now. At 18 there was just a whole world I did not even know that existed. But one of my favorite teachers....always says it never too late to change course. I would skip the 20 years of addiction....but, honestly my addiction played into some good things I would not trade in. But, it is time for addiction to leave

Comment

af day Sunday 3 March

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice about checking in...I will take your advice and will check in daily on this thread but will limit myself time wise how long I spend here ( actually generally on the computer!!)

SunFlower = my ex is a massage therapist and he taught me a lot about the different pressure points in the body. When our son was 3 months old he used the 'sleep' point. Son then slept through the whole night. Even now he is 7, I give him a little pressure point massage and he asleep within 3 minutes!! I too am a great fan of traditional chinese massage and have one once a week.. always feel fantastic afterwards!! Good for you...

MAE all to come have a great rest of the weekend.

Patrice
                x

Comment

af day Sunday 3 March

Take care SF and rest up well. As much as is possible with all the demands. Lots of nasty viruses around at the moment - and they are coming our way - as we head into autumn and winter here. I am my having my flu shot on Tuesday.

See you tomorrow Patrice!

Blondie - we officially started the semester and its been crazy. Lots of drunk students too and many nursing hangovers from hell.

Mick - I used to drive that distance quite often when my Mum was alive some years ago.

Had a walk and - confess - a much needed afternoon sleep - and did some work. Now its cajole the resident teenager into doing homework without looking like any pressure is being done. Its really important because in NZ we have a formal assessment from Years 11-13 (NCEA) where projects and internal assessment count for most of the final level that is awarded each year. This means stress is nicely distributed throughout the school year! But kids have to have fun too!

Comment

af day Sunday 3 March

TT - I could never understand how these young students could party and drink and study. :-)
                    Is that your or your daughter's stress that is distributed throughout the year? :-)
                    Off to bbq a chook; only 30 degrees (90) so not too bad!

Comment

af day Sunday 3 March

Blondie - afraid I was once one of those young students many moons ago and I did party and drink and study and get high grades - but I was very strict with myself about when I did the party stuff and never ever during exams, tests, or when essays were due. I never drank daily in those days either - booze was very expensive, pubs were out of bounds for under 21 year olds - all very different context. Other drugs however were quite widely available and I saw quite a few of my age group get really messed up...some never pulled through.

Comment

af day Sunday 3 March

Morning Abbers!

Cold but partly sunny here. Having coffee with my grandaughter - she's having milk :H

SF, hope you feel better soon!

Patrice, good to check in even if it's very briefly - keeps us from disaapearing from your consciousness

Greetings TT, Mick, blondie & everyone stopping by today!
                        Another busy AF day ahead for me.

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

af day Sunday 3 March

MAE All....

TT...thanks for the kickoff and the coffee....and like Blondie says, I think your surprise b-day flowers was lovely.

Mick...always glad to see you pop in on your busy Sunday mornings. Yesterday's planning session went well and I'm glad the week from hell is over. Today the only thing I'm doing is only what I want to....

Blondie...enjoy your Public Holiday and it's funny, I seem to be saying...the best laid plans...alot lately. Only difference now is there's no remorse, anxiety, guilt or deathly hangover involved.

SF
                          ...so sorry you're feeling sick and so glad you're feeling sick. Hah..figure that one out! It took quite awhile for me to realize that not everything that happens is AL related. I think that's when I felt I'd turned another corner in my journey.

Patrice
                          ...think I'll follow the advice given to you as well. It's so easy to get caught up in life and become complacent with the not drinking, and that didn't work out so good for me. So even if I can't keep up with everything that's happening, just popping in keeps me grounded. Ohhh...to have had your ex's knowledge when my first was going through 3 months of colic. :upset: Fairs, fair as I guess my twin and I did the same thing to my mom.

Lav
                          ...I don't think any of you will ever disappear from my consciousness again and that is a very, very good thing. Enjoy your Grandaugher...jealous.com here.

Major Winter Storm Warning in effect here. 20-30cm of snow with gusting north winds. CanToo
                          ...hope you've got those hatches battened down. (Loved the pic's by the way.) Planned for this...car topped off with gas, roast for dinner bought, plan to not venture outdoors. Looked out the window and - nothing! Forecast still calls for freezing rain turning to the predicted snow accumulation. Will update conditions throughout the day

Off to get my second cuppa and read around...have a great AF Sunday all and all to come...PPQP

Comment

af day Sunday 3 March

I know you don't want the hoopla but....

Mick has 8...who do we appreciate...Mick Mick Mick :h

CONGRATS ON 8 MONTHS MICK

Comment

af day Sunday 3 March

7:18 am Snow starting to fall.......

Comment

Working...
                              X