Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Gang

Hey guys,

I finish my training class on Thursday, I am so excited to get to go home. Everyone has been odrinking and having on big party here, I have had no major problems, and no major urge to join them. Day 73 today. I have a doctors appointment on monday, it will be my first appointment since telling my doctor I have a drinking problem, and I am excited to go in there and tell her I was able to quit drinking with success so far!!

I have noticed the longer I remain abs, the easier it gets. There are still little moments where you "remember" what it was like and want it, but it is for a split second, and much easier to control.

Now, the days have added up to larger numbers compared to my first couple of weeks. I can say things like "when I hit 90 days" because I know I will. And that is a good feeling. I think about it far less than i did my first few weeks, I have learned new habits, new routines.

I quit smoking, and quit drinking, 73 days ago, and so far, have touched neither, not even once. Before this period of abstinence, my self confidence was okay, but it could be rocked easily, now, I feel like I can handle so much more. I am able to handle situations so much better. Before I quit drinking, I thought about what I would do if something bad happened, you know, someone dies, a breakup, anything bad along those lines, how would I handle that and not turn back to an excuse to drink. I have had so many things come up in the past two months that would have made a good excuse to open a bottle before, but now I know that it is not a way to handle a problem. I just accept that life happens, and before I drank, i was a able to cope with things, so I just re-learned that.

I am enjoying life so much more. I love waking up without the shame. I love knowing what I did the night before. I love living my life, not wasting my life.

Victoria
    It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
    James Gordon, M.D.

Hello Gang

Victoria,

That's absolutely brilliant. Congratulations! I can feel your happiness.

Comment

Hello Gang

hi victoria

That is just how i feel..the pay off for not drinking is great isnt it? I wonder where my journey will lead as i still would like to moderate but dont want to unpick the good work and realise I cant moderate!!!!

i dont feel deprived right now but i sometimes think it would be nice to share a bottle with a meal on holiday with hubby/friends or christmas dinner and times like that.

Whilst over the years i have done the odd crazy thing when drunk in recent years my problem was more frequency of drinking...ie a couple of glasses of white /red wine most evenings and then a bottle full on a saturday or sunday(the bottle full days were when I would get niggly with hubby, emtional over some issue or just go to sleep!!!)

I started to look at the habit of drinking 4- 5 days a week and knew it wasnt right for me...then i hit a problem..Wakey Wakey...it was not as easy to stop as i imagined...

i had crossed the line.....Self control didnt come easy..several failed attempts in so far as I would do a few AF nights and then have a couple or even one drink BUT it wasnt the quantiy it was the fact I WANTED A DRINK OF ALCOHOL WHETHER IT WAS ONE TWO OR THREE..I LONGED FOR IT!

nobody complained about my drinking...well not to me.My hubby thinks I,ve got a catholic conscience..whereby I am too hard on myself. I tend to think its ok for others to smoke, drink or whatever but when it comes to my behaviours I beat myself up at times!!

Anyway regardless of what others thought I knew it was time to get alcohol free for a while and review the situation.

Day 36 ... 40 days was the goal BUT not ready to consider moderating yet..

Well done and Good Luck ..you are an inspiration

Regards Cassy

Comment

Hello Gang

Thank you Victoria, I too can feel your happiness and it's catchy!
        "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Hello Gang

Hi Victoria.
          As you know....I think you 're a star.

Comment

Hello Gang

awww...Popeye:l

Thanks everyone....too kind!
            It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
            James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

Hello Gang

Hi Victoria,

I gave up drinking and smoking 43 days ago. And what a relief it is. I don't feel "bound" to anything anymore, it's a lovely feeling of freedom from that horrible "addiction feeling".

It's great that you've gone so long, I hope I can follow happily in you footsteps and become happier, fitter and more comfortable in my own skin.

All the best

Cashy
              xxxxxx
              "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon

Comment

Hello Gang

Well Done victoria

Delighted to read your post and feel all those positive vibes you are sending out.

I can still remember when you first started on this site and you were in such despair, sounding so vunerable and sad. You have come such a long way - now you are so clearly in a much much better place.
                Best wishes
                Changeling (100 days)

Comment

Hello Gang

You sound great Victoria! I know what you mean about being able to handle situations better. i have also quit the fags and the booze and i feel in control of my life for a change.. Well done you. i am proud of you. Bella xxx

Comment

Hello Gang

Control

Hi
                    I am new here, and reading your stories in encouraging. I would love to be in control of my life so much, but because l have said this over and over, l just dont' trust myself anymore. I just always seem to get carried away with the social situations and most time, (not all the time, l am improving), get drunk, and do and say stupid things to my husband in front of my children. We most times end up fighting, over absolutely nothing. I also end up ringing everyone and start getting really chatty and friendly to even the people l dont really like. I wonder what is going on with me. If l don't drink what else am l going to do with my life. I mean that is what l look forward to on Frid and Sat nights, and when l have people over for dinner, what am l going to do??? I really doubt myself. Sometimes l have said to my husband, l will die like this one day, it will kill me, but l will never give up.
                    I must be crazy. Sorry for rambling and thanks for reading.

Comment

Working...
                    X