Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AA Thread

Everyone:

I just read the end of last week's thread. As suggested, I just titled this AA thread. There are no obligations:
    -you don't have to post daily.
    -you don't have to be a member of AA.
    -you can respond to a topic from your experience, strength, & hope.
    -no restrictions at all.

This morning's topic was HP & humility, which seem to go hand in hand. I didn't get to share, as the meeting is very large. I think I would have said that I try not to overthink the whole God/HP concept. I'm a very practical person...feet firmly planted on the ground. For me, doing God's will means I have to do the next right thing. That really keeps it simple. I don't have to listen for voices or see visions. I only have to do the task that is in front of me.

I'm not a morning person, but when I go to the AM meetings, I couldn't be happier throughout the rest of the day.

Take care one & all.

Again, feel free to comment or ask questions.

Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

AA Thread

Morning Mary...

I have never had an issue with the God/HP at AA. I am not religious but I do believe in God. I found that humility and gratitude is what helped change things around for me.

I always remember the KISS acronym Keep It Simple Stupid. Just concentrating on the task at hand, as you say, keeps me grounded. And I also live by the creed "just do the right thing". Pretty soon all those "right things" add up to a pretty nice life.

Didn't make my home meeting on Sunday, snowed in. I find myself not making enough time for AA, with life and work getting in the way. I need to change that and put my sobriety at the top of the priority list.

Have a great day....PPQP

Comment

AA Thread

pq: I try to keep my sobriety first but sometimes life encroaches on that resolution. I shouldn't let it...especially as I'm retired & have time. I am trying to make a meeting a day or at least 4 - 6 per week. It isn't easy but very grounding & good for me.

The whole KISS...keep it simple...slogan was Dr.Bob's philosophy. I do like it too. In fact, the slogans in general, while seeming a little simplistic at first, now seem like nuggets of wisdom for me. I especially like "Live & Let Live," as I'm prone to getting into my loved ones' issues.

Take care, Mary
      October 3, 2012

Comment

AA Thread

Morning Mary

I really like all the slogans as well, especially when I hear how different people interpret them. Always seem to have an ahah moment, never thought of it that way.

Do you by any chance know/remember how they define the acronym FEAR? I heard it once at a meeting and then keep forgetting to ask at my meeting.

Have a great day...PPQP

Comment

AA Thread

pq: I just looked in some of the notes I've taken at meetings. Can't find it. I know the last two letters: AR stand for "appearing real." Not sure about the FE. False something appearing real.

Other acronyms I came across:
          -GIFT: God is forever there.
          -HELP: His everlasting power.
          -HOW: Honesty, openness & willingness.
          -GOD: Good orderly direction or Group of drunks.

These are not an acronyms or slogans, but I wrote them down:
          -Give & forget, receive & remember.
          -Love is not a feeling. Love is an action.

When you find out, let me know.

Love, M
          October 3, 2012

Comment

AA Thread

Bingo....Emotions

False Emotions Appearing Real

Thanks Mary

ps. I love your quotes...especialy Love is an action.

Comment

AA Thread

Hi all! Mary thanks for getting us started!

Another way I have heard the "FEAR" acronym is "False Evidence Appears Real." For me, this speaks to the many irrational beliefs I held near and dear that drove my fears.

I LOOOVE interning at the treatment facility. I just started that about 5 weeks ago. I will say that being immersed in treatment (recovery) professionally, and then also being immersed in it personally - I am in need of shifting some things to achieve more balance I think. And if that is my worst problem today, then I have an absolutely AWESOME life!!!!

Just wanted to pop in and touch this life line! I'm glad you are here.

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

AA Thread

I like that definition of FEAR as well DG...

Interesting you mentioned interning at a treatment facility...

When I first admitted to myself I had a problem and asked for help, I had to go to a detox centre before I could enter treatment.

I spent a week there, minimal withdrawl symptons, and bonded with everyone.

After treatment (90 days - awesome experience for me) I thought I should look at schooling/courses and work at the detox centre that I started out at.

I just felt that being around/helping those at their rock bottom, at least that's where I was at, would only reinforce my sobriety besides making me feel good about myself.....

Not that things aren't getting sorted out in my life now, but I often wonder where I'd be if I'd followed that path.....PPQP

Comment

AA Thread

DG: Wonderful seeing you here! So glad your career change is so rewarding. What an accomplishment.

PQ: It looks like we have a bit of a dialog going on. Thanks for being here.

I have my regular first 164 pages of the BB tonight. We keep recycling through those pages, & I get something different from them each time. Yesterday, the day got away from me, & I didn't get to a meeting. It felt weird. I'm getting accustomed to the daily meeting schedule.

Take care one & all.

Mary
                  October 3, 2012

Comment

AA Thread

Morning Mary

When I was going through a rough spot with personal/work related issues which really brought out a lot of anger in me, my sponsor said "You may be 6 months sober but you're still on step one." I didn't agree with that statement.

Step one - admitted we were powerless over alcohol and are lives were unmanagable.

I figured I'd done that by just walking into my first AA meeting.

Step two - came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

I have actually experienced a calming wave come over me leaving thoughts of gratitude. Maybe that was part of the promises, haven't gotten into them yet. But my assistant HP - MWO has restored me to sanity.

Step three
                    - made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God....

As I am a returning AA'er I believe I have done that. To God and his assistant - MWO.

Step four
                    - made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

This is where I feel I am at. Although I'm not following the recommended process, which is what I wanted help with from you, I do feel I am looking at my part in situations. When something has hurt/upset me I post on my daily thread and the feedback I get helps me see my part in things. (Even if I don't like some of the replies I learn from them.) Don't know if that makes sense to you, but I do feel I am missing something here.

When I was more dedicated to AA - in my earlier stages, I felt the same way as you when I missed a regular meeting. Things just didn't feel right. Just wanted you to know I hear what you're saying.

Thanks again for not giving up on this thread.

Have a great day all and I will be checking in later....PPQP

:hallo: DG...didn't mean to ignore you. Life line (love that) still hooked up and working.

Comment

AA Thread

pq: It helped me to do step 4 w/a sponsor & kept in almost daily contact w/her. Mostly, I've used the BB model:
                      1. Listing people, institutions, issues, incident I have a resentment or any charged feeling against.
                      2. Describing the incident & listing what it effected...my self-esteem, security, etc.
                      3. Describing the feeling associated w/the incident...fear, envy, etc.
                      4. Then lastly, my part in the whole thing.

I actually got a form from my sponsor w/columns more or less w/the above.

I found daily contact important & just briefly described what I had written the previous day. I was told to write a little every day. Not to leave it fallow for too long.

I just spoke w/my sponsor a little while ago. She's battling cancer but is still going to meetings etc. I'm going to a formal step 3 w/her & then go on to another step 4 around the relapse I had.

Good luck. M
                      October 3, 2012

Comment

AA Thread

Check in before bed...

My sponsor is also dealing with health issues and is still very active with AA. She's like Granny AA to almost everyone.

I have never heard of a "formal" step 3. Possible for you to share further?

I know step 5...admitting to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs, can involve a "certain" fromality. Have heard some great stories about this step, but also some horror stories....as I'm not there yet, not thinking about it right now.

PPQP

For any lurkers out there....we usually don't get this detailed about the program.
                        Just trying to figure a few things out for myself right now.

Jump in with any comments, AA specific or not, at anytime....

Comment

AA Thread

PPQP,
                          At a newcomers meeting last night, we "worked" Step 3.
                          We do not "hand over" to our HP, we "turn over". Meaning, no taking back.
                          It is a vital step for me to keep my ego at bay!!!
                          Step 4 was the beginning of me cleaning house, no more sweeping under the carpet....
                          I couldn't have done that without my sponsor!
                          It was a natural process that some of Step 5 happened whilst busy with Step 4....
                          I shared last night that some of the long-timers put the fear of life into me about doing Step 4 and 9. How hard it was etc.... To me, it was/is just something I had to do. I have the gift of desperation, and am willing to do anything....
                          So far, all good.
                          Have a lovely week-end!!!
                          Sol xxx

Comment

AA Thread

Sol, lovely post.

Yes non-AAers, we don't usually go into the steps in such depth. Try to read between the lines. If you're wondering what the steps are go to the AA website.

For me, a formal step 3 is simple. I'll meet w/my sponsor & talk about what needs to be turned over to God. Then we'll hold hands & say the step 3 prayer together. I've done it before, but obviously I must have taken some stuff back...otherwise I probably wouldn't have relapsed. It's really a pretty simple, spiritual step.

Last night's chapter was There Is a Solution. The part that resonated w/me was about taking that first drink...that sends us right back into it. Cunning, baffling, powerful indeed.

M
                            October 3, 2012

Comment

AA Thread

Mary,
                              Pretty much the same for me on Step 3. My sponsors held my hand, we got on our knees and said the third step prayer. It was a powerful moment for me.
                              Love and Peace,
                              Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Working...
                              X