Aversion Therapy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aversion Therapy

I read this article about using nausea as aversion therapy. Antabuse is one type but it turns out that whenever we tell each other to 'Remember how bad your last hangover was' or 'Remember how guilty you felt when such and such happened' or when we use that technique ourselves, that is aversion therapy, too!

This made me larf:

"Ethical concerns have been raised about the morality of deliberately making clients experience unpleasant symptoms."

As if just thinking about the unpleasant symptoms is worse than actually experiencing them!

I particularly like the last paragraph:

"Recent research suggests that aversion therapy alone is not the most effective approach. Treatments that involve taking drugs such as antabuse tend to have high dropout rates. There is interest in creating new drugs that not only cause negative symptoms when mixed with alcohol, but also reward abstinence with pleasant feelings. A new drug might achieve this by increasing the levels of the neurotransmitter serotonin in those who remain abstinent. In sufficient doses, this hormone can create a sense of well being."
    Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Aversion Therapy

Siren136;1474348 wrote: .... A new drug might achieve this by increasing the levels of the neurotransmitter serotonin in those who remain abstinent. In sufficient doses, this hormone can create a sense of well being."
    Well let's hope this potential drug isn't addictive or riddled with dangerous side effects b/c it would be ReallyPopular!!! Who wouldn't want to quit drinking if they had this???

Comment

Working...
    X