af day Monday 11 March

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

af day Monday 11 March

Hi there all - its getting towards evening here and its been a long work day for me. Lots of meetings, dealing with all sorts of people stuff - much of which is frustrating at times.
    I am afraid I was a little impatient at times and maybe came across as somewhat bossy. OK if I was a guy no-one would say I was bossy!
    Oh well there is plenty more stuff to deal with - so I will just get on with this. Fortunately there are moments when I know I can be helpful and my areas of expertise gets put to good use.

How is everyone after the weekend?
    Det - good to see you pop in. Keep cool and keep away from u-know-what!
    Pauly - nice to see you too. I reckon people do ask what's wrong because they care. Its just that we can't always explain about why we are grouchy or down or blah. 3-7pm in the day are all relative - you can always transport yourself mentally into another time zone!
    PPQP - glad you had some same time zone time with your Dad. Must be hard. How was the AA meeting?
    Mick - Sunday jaunt over? Hope the hand/arm is not causing too much pain.
    Cat - hope your Sunday went well too,
    Lavande - dinner sounds good. What did you cook?
    Hi there Blondie - I have some young friends who are off to Perth in late April and I was telling them how hot it is there.

Thanks so much everyone for your well wishes on my 5 months. I really feel bashful about posting months of sobriety but you guys all know how hard it can be. Great wee support group here!

have a fab Monday and week ahead - to one and all - Mick's brewing the tea and coffee right now!

af day Monday 11 March

Morning afternoon evening all.....how are you all?Absolutely freezing over here ...back to winter conditions and they reckon so for the rest of the week!! Came home a bit early yesterday..even wrapped up the wind was so piercing.

Tea and coffee on the go.....and hot lemon ..really taken a shine to that

Evening TT (boss :H) so thats it ..the end of another busy day then? I agree with you ...some /most meetings are a waste of time unless here is direction and an objective to be met.....otherwise you go on chasing your backside for ever to no result!!I used to hate them .
    So whats it now you are finished home and relax?

morning blondie..whats the avatar ..is that your waltzing matilda :H..hope you are ok..any plans today?

Morning Lav..and how are things with you today? Need a coffee?well how did the dinner go ?ok I hope

Any plans for today?visiting your other garden? have a good one

Good morning ppqp...glad the visit with your dad went well for you...did you get to your meetings too?hope so ..how are things with you?Construction site scenario for you today isnt it..(office)

Hiya Catbuddy ..you ok?yes you are right..we are all in this together..hows your weekend been? do anything or go anywhere?

Morning Pauly ..you ok?You know talking about your safety beer?...Ever thought about substituting that for one thats af?See what the reaction to that one is.Any plans for today? have a good one whatever it is

Morning Det..wow you seem to be taking a lot on mate..you ok?You on the road this week at all or is it at home?Keep trying mate

Right folks ..short and sweet...love to say just like me but..........................

take care ..have a good one

A new Army Captain was assigned to an outfit in a remote post in the Afghanistan desert.
    During his first inspection of the outfit, he noticed a camel hitched up behind the mess tent. He asked the Sergeant why the camel is kept there.
    The nervous sergeant said, ?Well sir, as you know, there are 250 men here on the post and no women. And sir, sometimes the men have ?urges?. That?s why we have Molly The Camel.?
    The Captain says, ?I can?t say that I condone this, but I understand about ?urges?, so the camel can stay.?
    About a month later, the Captain starts having his own ?urges?. Crazy with passion, he asks the Sergeant to bring the camel to his tent. Putting a ladder behind the camel, the Captain stands on the ladder, pulls his pants down and has wild, insane s*x with the camel. When he?s done, he asks the Sergeant, ?Is that how the men do it??
    ?Not really, sir? They usually just ride the camel into town where the girls are.?

Two boys are playing football in Central Park when one is attacked by a rabid Rottweiler. Thinking quickly, the other boy rips off a board of the nearby fence, wedges it down the dog?s collar and twists, breaking the dogs neck.
    A reporter who was strolling by sees the incident, and rushes over to interview the boy.
    ?Young Giants Fan Saves Friend From Vicious Animal,? he starts writing in his notebook.
    ?But I?m not a Giants fan,? the little hero replied.
    ?Sorry, since we are in New York, I just assumed you were.? said the reporter and starts again. ?Little Jets Fan Rescues Friend From Horrific Attack? he continued writing in his notebook.
    ?I?m not a Jets fan either,? the boy said.
    ?I assumed everyone in New York was either for the Giants or Jets. What team do you root for?? the reporter asked.
    ?I?m a Cowboys fan,? the child said.
    The reporter starts a new sheet in his notebook and writes, ?Little Redneck Maniac Kills Beloved Family Pet.?

McQuillan walked into a bar and ordered martini after martini, each time removing the olives and placing them in a jar. When the jar was filled with olives and all the drinks consumed, the Irishman started to leave. ?S?cuse me,? said a customer, who was puzzled over what McQuillan had done. ?What was that all about??
    ?Nothing,? said the Irishman, ?my wife just sent me out for a jar of olives.?

A mom and dad were worried about their son not wanting to learn math at the school he was in, so they decided to send him to a Catholic school. After the first day of school, their son comes racing into the house, goes straight into his room and slams the door shut. Mom and dad are a little worried about this and go to his room to see if he is okay. They find him sitting at his desk doing his homework. The boy keeps doing that for the rest of the year. At the end of the year the son brings home his report card and gives it to his mom and dad. Looking at it they see under math an A+.
    Mom and dad are very happy and ask the son, ?What changed your mind about learning math??
    The son looked at mom and dad and said, ?Well, on the first day when I walked into the classroom, I saw a guy nailed to the plus sign at the back of the room behind the teacher?s desk and I knew they meant business.?

The teacher came up with a good problem. ?Suppose,? she asked the second-graders, ?there were a dozen sheep and six of them jumped over a fence. How many would be left??
    ?None,? answered little Norman.
    ?None? Norman, you don?t know your arithmetic.?
    ?Teacher, you don?t know your sheep. When one goes, they all go!?

An old man approached the White House from a cross Pennsylvania Avenue, where he?d been sitting on a park bench. He spoke to the U.S. Marine standing guard and said, ?I would like to go in and meet with President Bush.?
    The Marine looked at the man and said, ?Sir, Mr. Bush is no longer president and no longer resides here.?
    The old man said, ?Okay?, and walked away.
    The following day, the same man approached the White House and said to the same Marine, ?I would like to go in and meet with President Bush.?
    The Marine again told the man, ?Sir, as I said yesterday, Mr. Bush is no longer president and no longer resides here.?
    The man thanked him and, again, just walked away.
    The third day, the same man approached the White House and spoke to the very same U.S. Marine, saying ?I would like to go in and meet with President Bush.?
    The Marine, understandably agitated at this point, looked at the man and said, ?Sir, this is the third day in a row you have been here asking to speak to Mr. Bush. I?ve told you already that Mr. Bush is no longer the president and no longer resides here. Don?t you understand??
    The old man looked at the Marine and said, ?Oh, I understand. I just love hearing it.?
    The Marine snapped to attention, saluted, and said, ?See you tomorrow, Sir.?

When I was younger I hated going to weddings. It seemed that all of my aunts and the grandmotherly types used to come up to me, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, ?You?re next.?
    They stopped that crap after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

A woman and a man are involved in a car accident on a snowy, cold Monday morning. Both of their cars are totally demolished but amazingly neither of them is hurt. God works in Mysterious ways.
    After they crawl out of their cars, the woman says, ?So you?re a man. That?s interesting. I?m a woman. Wow, just look at our cars! There?s nothing left, but we?re unhurt. This must be a sign from God that we should meet and be friends and live together in peace for the rest of our days?.
    Flattered, the man replies, ?Oh yes, I agree with you completely, this must be a sign from God!?
    The woman continues, ?And look at this, here?s another miracle. My car is completely demolished but this bottle of wine didn?t break. Surely God wants us to drink this wine and celebrate our good fortune.? Then she hands the bottle to the man.
    The man nods his head in agreement, opens it and drinks half the bottle and then hands it back to the woman. The woman takes the bottle and immediately puts the cap back on, and hands it back to the man.
    The man asks, ?Aren?t you having any??
    The woman replies, ?No. I think I?ll just wait for the police?. ?

and for all our female readers..............

How are husbands like lawn mowers?
    They?re hard to get started, they emit noxious odors, and half the time they don?t work.
    How do men define a ?50/50″ relationship?
    We cook-they eat; we clean-they dirty; we iron-they wrinkle.
    How do men exercise on the beach?
    By sucking in their stomachs every time they see a bikini.
    How do you get a man to stop biting his nails?
    Make him wear shoes.
    How do you keep your husband from reading your e-mail?
    Rename the mail folder ?Instruction Manuals.?
    How does a man show he?s planning for the future?
    He buys two cases of beer instead of one.
    How is Colonel Sanders like the typical male?
    All he?s concerned with is legs, breasts and thighs.
    How many men does it take to open a beer?
    None. It should be opened by the time she brings it to the couch.
    How many men does it take to screw in a light bulb?
    One-He just holds it up there and waits for the world to revolve around him.
    How many men does it take to screw in a light bulb?
    Three. One to screw in the bulb, and two to listen to him brag about the screwing part.
    How many men does it take to tile a bathroom?
    Two. If you slice them very thinly.
    What did God say after creating man?
    I can do so much better.
    What do most men consider a gourmet restaurant?
    Any place without a drive-up window.
    What do you call a handcuffed man?
    Trustworthy.
    What does it mean when a man is in your bed gasping for breath and calling your name?
    You didn?t hold the pillow down long enough.
    What do you call a man with half a brain?
    Gifted.
    What do you do with a bachelor who thinks he?s God?s gift to women?
    Exchange him.
    What makes a man think about a candlelight dinner?
    A power failure.
    What should you give a man who has everything?
    A woman to show him how to work it.
    How can you tell when a man is well hung?
    When you can just barely slip your finger in between his neck and the noose.
    Why do men need instant replay on TV sports?
    Because after 30 seconds they forget what happened.
    Why do men whistle when they?re sitting on the toilet?
    Because it helps them remember which end they need to wipe.
    Why do only 10% of men make it to heaven?
    Because if they all went, it would be Hell.
    Why does it take 100 million sperms to fertilize one egg?
    Because not one will stop and ask for directions.
    af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

af day Monday 11 March

MAE Abbers ......quick fly by from me

TT know what you mean about being female in charge, we are 'bossy' men are 'assertive'.

Having said that I found out the other side of the coin when I was employed for a short time. I never realised how competitive female coworkers could be. Having always been my own boss it was an eye opener.

Hi Mick......you sound in good form. Sorry the good weather hasn't blown north yet......soon be spring though .......the only season I miss cos here it goes from winter to HOT quickly, plus plants grow and bloom all year.......pretty but less seasonal.

Good to see you back on board Pauly. Tough it through, it does get better.

Hi Molly .......hope you are feeling better.

Laters......be good

KY

Comment

af day Monday 11 March

Oh and CONGRATULATIONS ON FIVE MONTHS TT

Comment

af day Monday 11 March

Good morning Abbers!

Still dragging myself around with the head cold from hell :H
          Can't last forever, right?

Greetings TT, Mick, Kuya, Molly & everyone!

Fed the boys full of spaghetti & meatballs last night so they left happy. The little beggars will be back again tonight while their Mama goes to her karate class.
          I have work to catch up on, still don't feel like going back to my exercise at Curves.....maybe in a few days.

Wishing everyone a great AF Monday!
          Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

af day Monday 11 March

MAE ALL....

TT...thanks for the kickoff and you got it...people stuff can be very frustrating.

Very sparse turnout at my AA meeting yesterday due to an AA Roundup out in Banff over the weekend. One of the topics was "Live and let Live". I find that my meetings always deal with something that is going on in my life at the time. It's just uncanny!

Mick...thanks for the coffee...can I have an extra large to go...think I'm going to need it. My niece came along for my Dad visit and was very pleased when Dad acknowledged and congratulated her on getting engaged. He didn't really understand the first time we told him so she was right chuffed. My new word, seem to use it all the time now. :H

Molly...well first I thought you started off with "Pooped"...had to read that twice, then the "namesake camel"...went searching for the reference then figured it must be a Mick joke, as I read those after I've posted. Way too much work for me first thing in the morning. :H

KY
            ...competitive female coworkers, I hear ya. I tend to just concentrate on what's required for my job and let everyone else worry about their own jobs. Until we hired a new accountant who decided she can do everyone's job better than they can. Learned very quickly to quit sharing future events with her. The only time I get in anyones face is when their work interferes with mine...then watch out.

Lav
            ...hope you see the tail end of your cold soon. It can be very exhausting as I found out. Bet the curves craze will reappear when you're feeling better.

Det
            ...glad to see you're still alive and hanging in there. Make sure you get some "me" time in. Even if it's just being on your own and maybe meditating for a life break. Loved the "Saving Valentina" video. Look what can happen when you never give up. :l

Second cuppa time to enjoy with the rest of Mick's jokes. Have a great AF Monday all and all to come....PPQP

Comment

af day Monday 11 March

MAE Fabbies! She's back......

To make a long story short, I'm sorry to say that I did have two glasses of wine back on Feb 17th. No excuses. It was a decision I made, albeit a bad one. I haven't had anything since, since I did quickly realize that it was a pretty stupid thing to do. It did nothing for me other than make me cranky and headachey and did not solve the problem I wanted it to--namely, getting to sleep in a different environment. So, I've got 3 weeks in now AF. The lapse also resulted in an amazingly good therapy session several days later that helped me release a lot of anger and sadness that I had been sitting on.

Avoiding telling you all is one reason I haven't been here. The other is that I have been crazy busy working on the house in Pennsylvania. I never knew that I could work so hard and be happy doing it. I am learning all sorts of new things, and I think I am going to tackle the hardwood floors myself. The house is starting to look pretty good. I'm chuffed about that.

I have been thinking of you all, despite my absence.

Congrats on 5 months, TT! Well done! I hope you are feeling pretty darn good about yourself.

I see you are still in fine form, Mick! I hope it warms up in your neck of the woods soon.

Hi Mollyka, nice to see you.

I'm thinking of you Kuya.

Hey Lav, I hope you are feeling better soon. I have no doubt you will be back at Curves soon.

I'm glad your visit with your dad went well, PPQP.

Hi to Det, SF and all else.

Back to read Mick's jokes.

I still have at least two weekends of work up in PA, but it is good seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I'll be posting more than I have been, now that I've gotten past the hump of confession.

Hugs to all,
              :l
              YahYah
              AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

af day Monday 11 March

Crappy weekend - really have had enough - seems that I manage to take a step forward, then something happens and about a mile backwards....I need a little while of no more bad news and let me get my life in order - I seem to get on the right track, then POW I get derailled...
                Dealings with Ex, with lawyer - hopefully she can help, but it brought everything to a head. He was a jerk to my girls....again.... and then money - last week has cost me close to $10,000 - flights home (which is a stressor for me), lawyers fees, then my car needed new brakes, and with the amount of driving I do I couldn't wait to do them..
                Feel at the bottom and looking for strength to keep paddling!
                sorry to be a downer, not even read posts yet, but will do in a bit - just had to get this out...
                “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

af day Monday 11 March

Hi there SL - sounds like a hell of a week. So much to deal with. Do you want to say a bit why the trip home will be stressful? I always used to have bitter-sweet feelings about visiting family and although my parents died some years ago - I still get stressed visiting my sister and my partner's sister. I have been able to deal with it all much better since being sober and not trying to fit in with everyone else's plans. Its always hard though when you are staying with others for a period of time. And its hard for the people who have family staying with them.

Try not to think too far ahead about the trip - thats a wee while off - you have the tickets - done! Concentrate on the immediate issues and try to find a tiny wee bit of light relief in it - sounds like your being with your girls more than makes up for all the crap.
                  Being sober is what you can do now - you have control over that.

Lots of hugs and rant as much as you need to!

Comment

af day Monday 11 March

Hi SL,

Sorry the weekend was so crappy; I hope you can sit in a sunbeam today.

Cat
                    "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

af day Monday 11 March

MAE, all.

Not greeting Monday with much energy. In answer to your question, Mick, I had a crazy busy weekend. Baseball started for my son, so there was a parents get together on Friday night, the a 2.5 hour practice on Saturday. Sunday was Zumba class, strength training class, farmer's market, SURPRISE keys locked in car, cab home, ten mile bike ride back. Then, dinner, chores, work (since Sunday is the new Monday in my work culture). Lights out at 11:00pm.

OVERSLEPT two hours this morning. CRAP. Then remembered it was daylight savings yesterday, so it made sense that I slept later ? my body hasn?t just adjusted because I changed the clocks! As I get older, I?m starting to show more respect to the ol? body. All that abuse I gave it ? needs to be the past.

Mick, you asked for more details on Epsom salts. I don?t know all the science around it. As you bathe in warm water, your pores open up and allow the magnesium to be absorbed by the skin into your muscle tissue. There I think it works some magic to remove lactic acid and other waste products, and make them less sore/more repaired by the next day. There is a thread in Epsom salts in our ?Research? area that you can review. (Don?t know how to connect it here).

Hope everyone is getting off to a good start this week!

Cat
                      "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

af day Monday 11 March

scottish lass;1476103 wrote: Crappy weekend - really have had enough - seems that I manage to take a step forward, then something happens and about a mile backwards....I need a little while of no more bad news and let me get my life in order - I seem to get on the right track, then POW I get derailled...
                        Dealings with Ex, with lawyer - hopefully she can help, but it brought everything to a head. He was a jerk to my girls....again.... and then money - last week has cost me close to $10,000 - flights home (which is a stressor for me), lawyers fees, then my car needed new brakes, and with the amount of driving I do I couldn't wait to do them..
                        Feel at the bottom and looking for strength to keep paddling!
                        sorry to be a downer, not even read posts yet, but will do in a bit - just had to get this out...

:l SL :l

Sometimes it feels like we're really being tested doesn't it! Everything always seems to happen at once. Can't send you a paddle but will this do ....:angel:"PPP":angel:

Oh...and look what I came across this morning...(the thread got bumped)!

From the thread "What's your Sobriety Plan?" Posted by scottish lass May 22, 2011...

Another great thread ? here is my first attempt! This is a great idea?

? Read MWO threads before getting out of bed in am.
                        ? Get out of bed and acknowledge how good I feel and how different it feels without AL night before
                        ? Eat good nutritious food ? have breakfast!
                        ? Take supplements
                        ? Sing on way to work as I am not hung-over
                        ? Improve self image ? lose weight, pamper a little (pedicures, lotion etc)
                        ? Gym ? continue with trainer until I have a good routine
                        ? Walk ? enjoy the outdoors
                        ? Get finances in control
                        ? Spend a little of the money saved from AL on treats for ME! ? flowers, books, lotions
                        ? Acknowledge witching hour ? when alone, watch all the TV programs that I have missed; when I have girls, enjoy them! When struggling post on MWO

? Have AF drinks for the day and different ones for normal AF time (avoid feeling of depravation ? ginger ale, or tonic with lime for 5pm ? 9pm only)
                        ? Early to bed ? use calm forte to encourage good sleep patterns
                        ? Weekends ? do something, have a plan ? even little plans, but something that makes me feel good ? farmers market, walk, relax etc
                        ? Acknowledge success ? do not dwell on failures
                        ? Focus on what works, not what doesn?t
                        ? Have something to look forward to ? something in the close future, but a carrot on a stick.
                        ? When struggling ? read old posts and great threads to reassure myself that others have achieved this so I can too!

So you're doing a fine job following your plan, see ... when struggling post on MWO.
                        You may have to tweak it a bit and add a plan for your visit home...please post updated plan as I intend to use this as my blue print for my sobriety plan.

Comment

af day Monday 11 March

porqoui;1476331 wrote:

This is a great idea?

? Read MWO threads before getting out of bed in am.
                          ? Get out of bed and acknowledge how good I feel and how different it feels without AL night before
                          ? Eat good nutritious food ? have breakfast!
                          ? Take supplements
                          ? Sing on way to work as I am not hung-over
                          ? Improve self image ? lose weight, pamper a little (pedicures, lotion etc)
                          ? Gym ? continue with trainer until I have a good routine
                          ? Walk ? enjoy the outdoors
                          ? Get finances in control
                          ? Spend a little of the money saved from AL on treats for ME! ? flowers, books, lotions
                          ? Acknowledge witching hour ? when alone, watch all the TV programs that I have missed; when I have girls, enjoy them! When struggling post on MWO

? Have AF drinks for the day and different ones for normal AF time (avoid feeling of depravation ? ginger ale, or tonic with lime for 5pm ? 9pm only)
                          ? Early to bed ? use calm forte to encourage good sleep patterns
                          ? Weekends ? do something, have a plan ? even little plans, but something that makes me feel good ? farmers market, walk, relax etc
                          ? Acknowledge success ? do not dwell on failures
                          ? Focus on what works, not what doesn?t
                          ? Have something to look forward to ? something in the close future, but a carrot on a stick.
                          ? When struggling ? read old posts and great threads to reassure myself that others have achieved this so I can too![/I]
                          Great plan SL, mind if I pinch it Well spottted Pourquoi.
                          You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

af day Monday 11 March

YoungAtHeart;1476053 wrote:
                            To make a long story short, I'm sorry to say that I did have two glasses of wine back on Feb 17th. No excuses. It was a decision I made, albeit a bad one. I haven't had anything since, since I did quickly realize that it was a pretty stupid thing to do. It did nothing for me other than make me cranky and headachey and did not solve the problem I wanted it to--namely, getting to sleep in a different environment. So, I've got 3 weeks in now AF. The lapse also resulted in an amazingly good therapy session several days later that helped me release a lot of anger and sadness that I had been sitting on.
                            Despite your absence we've all been thinking of you too YahYah...

So done and dusted and 3 weeks back on the AF life. And by the sounds of it a great oppoortunity to get rid of some of your anger and saddness. Just more positives here.

Getting past that hump of confession took me awhile to start posting again too. Glad you didn't stay away too long.

Do I see a change in profession? "YahYah's House & Hardwood Floor Restoration" :H

Looking forward to seeing more posts YahYah.....PPQP

Comment

af day Monday 11 March

:hallo: CB...

Did you post on the )#(%*#& thread? I'll go look in a bit.

Yup, if it doesn't rain it pours!

Sounds like a few of us are dealing with life's overloads right now.

Major snow storm last Sunday only to wake up Monday morning with a flat tire! At least I didn't have a 10 mile bike ride to right the wrong!

Lights out at 11 pm. :shocked: I'm lucky if I make it past 9 pm! Still working on my sleep patterns.

In spite of it all you still sound pretty positive, and positivity is an important one to me.

Hope the rest of the week goes smoother for you.....PPQP

p.s. I like the way you call it "our" research area.

Comment

Working...
                              X