One year today at MWO!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One year today at MWO!!

Just wanted to say that moderation IS possible. I am here one year today!

THANKS RJ!!!!!!

I have never even posted my story, I think I was too raw last spring . . .so here goes. I had an accident that crushed my hand in a pressure laminating machine, 11 years ago. Alcohol was not even really on my radar before that. I was an occasional drinker. I did not do well on the different pain meds they gave me, either allergic to or made me sick to my stomach. By two months into it, I was up to 24-30 -200 mg, tablets of Ibuprofen daily (anti inflammatory medication.) that stuff just eats your stomach but I continued it, just take the edge off the pain. Had a couple years of ganglion (sp?) nerve block shots in my neck along with physical therapy to help build mobility and strength back in my hand. To look at me now, I compensate pretty well with it, though that thumb is a pretty lame excuse for a thumb! Anyone unaware of the story can not see what damage was done though. At the PT, she said I have almost 2 lbs of pressure from off that thumb but overcompensating up to 25 lbs off the other thumb!

Along the way, I discovered hard liquor gave me a nice buzz, and while there was still the pain, I just didn't care when I was loaded. Hence my home remedy that grew from one drink in an evening to 3 (doubles) in a night. If I really didn't want to feel anything, 4 doubles to pass out.

I cut back for a couple years as I started to realize I was waking up hung over every morning. June 2005, I stepped on the dogs tail in the middle of the night, came crashing into the brick floors and tore my PCL. Gone, done, torn no real fixing it. Back to Ibuprofen, physical therapy and the liquor store on my way home from PT. March 27, 2006, woke up with a horrible, hangover, looked at my eyes in the mirror and the skin around my eyes had a yellow cast to it. Scared the sh** out of me. I came to work and googled alcoholism. Joined that day. Went cold turkey, bought the supps and started them about a week later. Was doing OK moderating and then I ordered the book and CD's about 7 weeks into it. I know half A** backward!

The CD's were the biggie for me. I just had that switch click for me about 2 weeks into them.
    Wanting sobriety helped. Looking at MODS as though I am really in ABS with the occasional evening of a drink or two is a good attitude for me.
    Getting into an exercise routine at my bewitching hour helped change my habit.
    Not having my favorite alcohol around the house really helps keep the demons at bay.
    With this program in place I was able to stop smoking January 1st of this year! Other than these boards I have now thrown all addictions away!!
    Getting up and feeling great, seeing the whites of my eyes so white and clear along with my skin being super healthy now - that helps too!

THE NUMBER ONE keep me on track item is this board. Coming here, hearing stories, receiving the constant love and support from you wonderful members, offering support, and being accountable on the drink tracker probably plays the biggest role in my success.

In the past couple months, my husband has started back to the gym and slowed his drinking down incredibly. I think a lot has to do with being a good role model for him. He still has no idea I am on this site so often or what you all mean to me. Many of you being great role models for me has ultimately helped me, help him too. So THANKS!!!

Thank you all for your love, support and for sharing your stories. I wish for all of you excellent health, continued strength and lifetimes of happy sobriety!

Hugs and Love,
    Mary

One year today at MWO!!

MKR - You do truly define moderation and you are such an inspiration to me. You have helped me in many more ways than you know. What a difference a year makes!!!! Love to you. So glad you are here. :l
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

One year today at MWO!!

Hey MKR

Congratulations - one year in! :goodjob:

Can you emember back to when you were counting in hours!

I only hope I can be posting a tear from now - you helped me no end when I first got here - thanks for everything - you are an example to us all

Take care of yourself! (sounds like you got that pretty well sorted already!)

Satori
      xxx
      "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

One year today at MWO!!

Thank you for sharing, i hope one day to be just like you
        Its strange being sober; huh, so this is how normal people are :H

Comment

One year today at MWO!!

Thank you for being here Mary...

Comment

One year today at MWO!!

MKR:goodjob: You have been an inspiration to me also. Congratulations on 1 year. You have always been very insightful and kind and thank you for sharing.:h
            Enlightened by MWO

Comment

One year today at MWO!!

Thanks Mary - you know what an inspiration you are to me already and thanks for sharing your story with us. we love you.
              Love jen
              Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

One year today at MWO!!

{{{{{{Mary}}}}}}

Thank you for all you share!

Love, Nancy
                "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

One year today at MWO!!

Mary,

You know how awesome I think you are. Thank you for sharing your story.

Love ya,
                  Laura
                  Humor is just another defense against the universe!

Comment

One year today at MWO!!

Congrtulations Mary !!!! It has truly been an honor to get to know you over the past year. You are really a great inspiration to all of the Mod Muffins and I always look forward to your words from the universe and your many words of support when someone needs a lift. Thanks for being a friend to so many! :h :l :h
                    Sometimes I wonder...."Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...and then it hits me.

Comment

One year today at MWO!!

Congratulations Mary!!!
                      Thanks so much for sharing your story. Wow, one year and you've been done so great! You've been such a comfort for me every since I came (July 2006)..I always look forward to reading your post and am always amazed how generous you are in acknowledging everyone..it's amazing to me how you do that! :-D

Comment

One year today at MWO!!
                        • :danthin: :bday7: HAPPY MWO B-DAY MARY!
                        Love ya Sweetie! "We've come a long way Baby!"
                        Funny, I was just reading thru some of the archives yesterday... WoW!
                        You are such a bright ray of light to us all! Have a delightful day! Congratulations.:goodjob:
                        Love you...
                        Judie
                        The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

One year today at MWO!!

Congrats Mary. You are such an inspiration to me and I know many, many others. I just think you are such an incredible, caring person and I am so glad to have gotten to know you over the past year...OK 11 months
                          "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

One year today at MWO!!

Wow!! Thanks so much to all of you!!

As I was writing a PM to a new person this morning, I realized the best way I could articulate how I feel, is those of us who have been around for awhile - we are in a pay it forward position. I know many of you especially senior members, make a habit of welcoming everyone, you pay it forward daily. You guys are awesome!!!

I am counting on you throwing out your start dates when they come rolling around!! One month to go Beaches?

Got a lady who can't figure out how her brochure folds at her office, so she is coming in here, gotta run!

Love and Hugs to all,
                            Mary

Comment

One year today at MWO!!

No I am wrong I was looking at the July date sorry.....I joined in August However I know I was here a little before that. Much love and I will post a story around my join date
                              Really Mary, thank you for sharing your story. I could share many sprained ankle and wrist stories too. Our bodies needed a rest. Thank goodness we found our way here.
                              "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Working...
                              X