af day Thursday 14 March

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

af day Thursday 14 March

Looks like its 14 March already - so MAE everyone.
    Its evening here now and its been a lovely day - 26 degrees celsius. Trouble was that I had a heap of work to do inside. Thursday seems to be becoming curry nite as we have to dash around collecting daughter from drama and then judo - tonight was Indian takeaways (quite healthy ones!).
    Mick - please please get the UK weather to heat up just a little bit as I will be there at the end of the month. Looks like this weekend I will have to sort through my winter clothes in preparation for this trip.
    Hiya Kuya - sounds like you are very busy too. Question - when you say you are off for a wander before bed - what the hell are you up to?

Hiya also garden queens - Lavande and PPQP! Yes it is great to see some new avatars on the screen - so hope we see lots of you, Winter Lover and Freefly.
    Welcome back YahYah. Hi there Pingu!
    SF and SL - keep going at what you are doing so well ladies! Yep - cleaning out and sorting is good for the soul. I just can't convince daughter and G. of this view. Anyway - thats their concern and its not worth the energy for me to get too hassled about this.
    SL - Yes you have it! We all have our doubts and insecurities and there are times when its truely awful. I do not know how I would react to some extreme disaster. I would hope that reaching for the bottle would not be part of my reaction.
    Its too lovely an evening to think of doom and gloom. Its balmy outside, the light is soft and relaxing and from where I sit there is so much bush and so many shades of green- the other night my daughter told me that green is the colour that we humans can detect the most shades of.
    Have a fabuluso Thursday and stay safe and warm (except Blondie - gidday! howz things? and Kuya - who is probably splashing around like a nocturnal mermaid right now).
    Apologies if I missed one of our regular Abbers but I will catch up with you soon enough! :thumbs:

af day Thursday 14 March

hanging in there....

And so day 5 begins and this cold snap doesn't end. 25 degrees F.
    I am sure I will feel better in a few hours?
    March: 23 days AF, April 26 days AF, May _23_ AF days
    May 29: back to day 1
    June: The battle continues......

Comment

af day Thursday 14 March

Brrrr LTLW - thats cold! Where are you living now?

Do you mean you will feel better in a few hours because of the cold or because of the stopping drinking???

Anyway well done and super-great-terrific-yay-yay-!!!! on being onto Day 5. :yay:

Comment

af day Thursday 14 March

MAE all ..and how is you today? Frosty over here ...been assured by the big fella that the weather will change for the end of the month

Tea n coffee on the go now ..

Evening TT...and how are you today? did you say it was a balmy evening or a barmy one?
        Thats some combo your daughter has got ...judo and drama..could certainly put a new slant on the Shakespeare company!!Have a great evening

Mornin ltlw ...how are you ? good thread start yesterday ...well done.Jump in any time you want ...stops me n the down under one above from yakking all day .well day 5 now for you excellent..yes it is tough to start with , but honestly it does get easier and worth it, health finance, in charge of your own life, so stick with it.Whenever I got an urge for drink , I used to (and still do tho hardly ever happens, just on the odd time)write it all down ..why what good it will do you etc etc, and you will see the cravings go past.Dont forget the tool box..tons of stuff there..and just say fk it ..it isnt happening ..I aint giving in The other thing is ..dont forget this site ..when you feel that way ...post on here ...at the time not after..someone will answer you

Mornin pings ...just in case you are awol again today ..hows you ? Still on your sudden weight loss or has that stopped now?

Hi ky..hows you today mate? glad things are busy for you..and glad nursie is taking on well for you too..makes life a bit easier for you.Went swimming again yesterday..getting to gbe a pretty regular thing now.Since I stopped taking those statin tabs..I am getting nowhere near as much pain any more..at one stage it was so bad I couldnt do any exercise..now I regularily swim 45-50 lengths of the pool ..which is 2 thirds olympic size...my other half says I seem a lot more cheery and happy too...fk that..Victor Meldrew rools!!:H..have a great evening ..."nocturnal mermaid" ..that TT must be on summat

Mornin Mr G glad to see you..ope all is well

Hiya blondie ...hows you this evening? been looking for epsom salts...Cant find any over here..might have to go tiniternet shopping.....remember them yonks ago..probably on sort of banned list over here now!!
        Semm to have hit a plateau with the weight time for drastic measures of some sort......hmmm gettin your finger out ..could be one of the reasons you aint losing it
        Would Thomas be ..Thomas the tank engine perchance?

Morning ppqp.....apologies ..one large coffee coming up...glad things are on the go with the garden...need to get some pics when it is on the go..as for the negativity ...I used to like that as a challenge in people...see if you can turn it into a positive..it doesnt matter what bs or crapology you tell him see if you can...politicians do it for a living all over the world ( except Britain where they screw it all up via speeding tickets!!!!:H)

Hi SF..you doing ok? seems so ..glad to hear it chucking stuff out...my fav hobby going through it all .. binning what I dont want ..then stocking up with another pile of might come in handy stuff.

Mornin Lav ..well done you for pushing that sickly feeble frame out to exercise, and despite the pain suffering aches and torment struggled bravely on in the face of extreme adversity to soldier on to achieve your objective..is that good enough? One large coffee maam...seriously tho ..hope you are better today

Hiya freefly ..you ok ?bath and bed sounds good to me (not like that, but you know what I mean!!) yep you stick around ...you can do this? do you keep a diary of stopping al , how you feel at the time etc? might be an idea..sometimes when you read back in the future you will think ...so what was all the drama about

Mornin YAH.... nice to see you ..fingers crossed for you re the 4 clients..sounds like a step up from the three amigos!!!Still as long as it brings in the dosh thats the main thing ..and if you can enjoy your work too thats a bonus

Mornni SL...you ok? hopefully the penny is dropping this time...all you have to say is no when things get tough...do the same write it all down..doesnt matter what you write as long as it gets you through that craving cos thats all it is.This is it ..keep telling yourself that

PPQP..well you set the challenge!!!

Wrong Train

A few years ago, I decided to visit my sister who was living in France. I assumed that most French would speak English. I found that many people spoke only their own language and this included the ticket inspector on the train. He punched my ticket, then chatted cordially for a bit, making several expansive gestures. I simply nodded from time to time to show him that I was interested.

When he had gone, an American tourist, also on the train, leaned forward and asked if I spoke French.

'No', I admitted.

'Then that explains', she said, 'why you didn't bat an eyelid when he told you that you were on the wrong train.'

This is a technical publication squawk sheet left by the train crew. At great expense Will and Guy have unearthed the answers:

Report: Something loose in cab.
        Answer: Something tightened in cab.

Report: Evidence of leak in crankcase.
        Answer: Evidence removed.

Report: Dynamic brakes don't work at any speed.
        Answer: This locomotive is not equipped with dynamic brake.

Report: Alternator volume unbelievably loud.
        Answer: Volume set to more believable level.

Report: Locomotive dances up and down when brake applied at 89 mph
        Answer: Could not reproduce problem in engine house.

Report: Dead bugs on windshield.
        Answer: Live bugs on order.

Report: Parking brake cause throttle lever to stick.
        Answer: That's what it's there for.

Report: Engine missing.
        Answer: Engine found under hood after brief search.

Report: Locomotive handles funny.
        Answer: Locomotive given verbal warning to be serious.

Report: Radio hums.
        Answer: Reprogrammed radio with the words.

An American, an Englishman and an Australian were travelling on a train from Doncaster, England to London.

The trip which normally takes over 6 hours could be boring and tedious, so the Aussie asked his companions if anyone was carrying a packet of playing cards to while away the time. No one had the required ingredients to be able to play Poker, but the American suggested that a game of charades would help to pass the time.

'What the hell is charades?' queried the Australian.

'I will give you clues about a popular film by miming and doing hands gestures, while you will try to name the movie. The main rule is that the person doing the charade must remain silent,' explained the American. He then started the game by getting a piece of paper from his briefcase and throwing it out of the window of the moving train.

'I know, I know,' claimed the Englishman, 'Gone With The Wind.'

Now it was the Englishmen turn to have a shot at the game. He stood up on his seat and with both fists he started to hit his chest and pulling his face.

'Oh! That's King Kong!' the American exclaimed. He then got of his seat and started to kick frantically with his hands and feet.

'Easy,' shouted interrupted him the Englishman, 'Karate Kid.'

Charade followed charade and then the train had arrived at its halfway stop at Peterborough. The Australian had not manage to guess any of the titles and was feeling very inferior. As the train stopped at the station he quickly grabbed his companion's suitcases and bolted to the door.

'Oy! What do you think you're doing?' screamed the other two in one voice.

'The Great Train Robbery,' the Aussie bellowed as he disappeared out of the train and down the platform at a run.

Mr Smith gets into work late for the 5th time in five days and his boss says: "OK Smith, what's the excuse today? "Let's hear a good excuse for a change."
        "I'm very sorry boss," he says, "everything went wrong this morning, my wife decided to drive me to the station. She got ready in ten minutes but we got stuck in traffic. I didn't want to let you down so I got out of the car, knocked a policeman off his motor bike, stole his bike and raced through the streets to the station with siren screaching, the train was just pulling out of the platform so I ran after it and jumped on the back, I clung on at speeds of 100mph for 30 minutes but it didn't stop in the station so I jumped off on the viaduct into the swollen river and swam through raging torrents, got out of the river and grabbed a passing fire engine, clung on for dear life and it dropped me off here - and here I am - look, my suit's still damp!"
        "You'll have to do better than that, Smith," said the boss, disappointed. "That's unbelievable, no woman can get ready in ten minutes!"

A man on the northbound "Night Caledonian" sleeping car train ordered one of the attendants, "I have to be off at Perth, I'm a heavy sleeper (no pun intended!), but I must get off there. I want you to put me off, whatever I say."
        The next morning he woke up at Inverness!
        Extremely annoyed he found the attendant and gave him a piece of his mind. After he had left, somebody asked the attendant, "How could you stand there and take that kind of talk?"
        "That's nothing!", replied the attendent, "you should have heard the guy I put off at Perth!"

Jim wanted a job as a signalman on the railways.
        At the job interview the inspector asked him this question: "What would you do if you saw 2 trains heading for each other on the SAME track?
        Jim said: "I would put all signals to danger"
        "What if they were going too fast?", asked the inspector.
        Jim said," I would switch the points for one of the trains."
        "What if the lever broke?", asked the inspector.
        "Then I'd dash down the signal box steps waving a red flag", said Jim.
        "What if it blew away in the wind?" asked the inspector.
        "Then I'd run back into the signal box & phone the next signal box."
        "What if the phone was engaged?"
        "Well.....in that case," persevered Jim, "I'd rush down out of the box & use the public emergency phone at the level crossing."
        "What would you do if THAT was vandalized?"
        "Oh well, then I'd run into the village & get my Uncle Harry."
        This puzzled the Inspector, "Why would you do that?"
        "Because he's never seen a train crash!!"

Young Alec and his parents were drinking at the bar in a train station when they heard a whistle. The three of them rushed out of the bar onto the platform only to discover that they had missed the train.
        "The next train is in one hour," said the stationmaster.
        The three went back into the bar. The parents had another drink, Alec had a coke.
        Again they heard a whistle, rushed out and discovered the train pulling away.
        "Next one is sixty minutes from now!" said the stationmaster.
        An hour later, Alec, with his mum and dad, raced out onto the platform and his parents leaped onto the train as it pulled away. The boy was left standing on the platform and began to laugh uproariously.
        "Your parents just left you," said the stationmaster. "Why are you laughing?"
        "They only came to see me off!"

Took this first thing this morning..so weather aint that bad TT

[/URL]

[/URL]

Tomatoes,Courgettes ,red and green cabbage rocket and peppers growing

[/URL]
        af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

af day Thursday 14 March

treetops;1477461 wrote: Brrrr LTLW - thats cold! Where are you living now?

Do you mean you will feel better in a few hours because of the cold or because of the stopping drinking???

Anyway well done and super-great-terrific-yay-yay-!!!! on being onto Day 5. :yay:
          I guess I meant once I have time to wake up & think clearly? I already feel so much better laying off the wine. That is exactly how my dad phrased it a couple weeks ago. I have been trying since march 1st. The times I did drink I threw caution to the wind entirely. Not good. New plan...
          March: 23 days AF, April 26 days AF, May _23_ AF days
          May 29: back to day 1
          June: The battle continues......

Comment

af day Thursday 14 March

MAE Abbers, just a quick check in as gotta get an earlier night tonight, up far too late yesterday.

TT..... I usually check in here first then go for a wander round the boards, not outside for a wander, you egg ! :H:H

Mick that is a good ole swim there , my pool is only 12 metres so I reckon the weight should be falling off you soon. Glad you are off the statins, never liked the science behind those.

Hi Winter, keep up the good work. Five days and all the alcohol,is out of your body. From here on it is all mental.......just remember what you left behind

Comment

af day Thursday 14 March

Hi there, not sure this is the place where I post as a newbie, but starting today I am not going to drink for 1 month. My name is Jackie, I am a Mom to two beautiful kids a boy 7 and girl 9 years old. I love my wine as my end of the day Mommy reward. I am running in a half marathon on April 14, so I want to feel my best and lose some weight. Im not sure how bad my problem is, I just know I have been drinking wine just about every night for quite awhile now. Hoping to hold myself accountable by being here, and to meet some friends who feel as I do. Have a great day everyone

Comment

af day Thursday 14 March

Good morning Abbers!

Thanks for starting us up TT!

Wow Mick, you make me sound like a hero, thanks :H
                Nice pics, you are way ahead of me. I'm looking out my window at snow flurries at the moment unfortunately so no gardening for me today.

LTLW, congrats on your AF progress!
                tigerlilly, hello & welcome! You should check out the Newbies Nest thread for lots of support in getting started.

Kuya, hope you have gotten some rest

Well, I'm still dragging this cough/cold around with me. Why is it so hard to get rid of this stuff? YUCK! Wishing everyone a great AF Thursday!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

af day Thursday 14 March

MAE ALL....

TT...thanks for the kickoff. Out of the mouths of babes...never knew that about the colour green. You just learn something new every day! Which falls in line with my growing everyday, so thanks for that! Jealous.com here....what a peaceful serene feeling I got reading your description of your wind down time this evening.

LTLW...congrats on day 5. We're paying attention...just waiting to hear you chucked the bottle of wine. 25 degrees F....try -13 degrees F (-25 degrees C) so there's a positive, you're not living where CanToo and I are! "Laying off the wine" as the wise one said, and New Plan sounds just about perfect to me. We're here to supply our own words of wisdom for your new plan. Stay close. :l

Mick...apology accepted and thanks for the large coffee. Crapology...I like that, and the challenge. Another chance to grow...will start today and let you know how it goes.
                  "PPQP..well you set the challenge!!!"...I beg to differ. I think the blame lies solely on Blondie :H

KY
                  ...aw you should have kept TT guessing about your wandering! I had a whole slew of responses for that! :H Going to look for pictures of a "nocturnal mermaid".

Tigerlilly17
                  ...or Jackie for short we were all newbies at one time. Consider yourself on the accountablily list. Like Lav says...check out the https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...est-30074.html and the https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html. I found reading as much as I could helped me in my starting days. I'll be keeping an eye open for you.

Lav
                  ...you are a hero...in my eyes anyways. Hope you're feeling a bit better, it does seem to drag on doesn't it. I think it's our bodies way of forcing us to take some down time.

Was hoping for a peaceful sleep last night...best laid plans! Must be keyed up about the community garden and the up coming Comedy Dinner Show on Saturday. Weather has changed for the worse but I'm sure everyone will show up...'cause I know where they all live!

Have a great AF Thursday all and all to come.....PPQP

Comment

af day Thursday 14 March

Now ppqp..should I apologise or blag it and say you started it..with shall we tell him about Thomas...then blondie comes up with the trains thingy...so heres the deal

I apolo...................cant get fairer than that 50% of I apologise!!! :H:H:H:H
                    af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

af day Thursday 14 March

Mick;1477572 wrote: Now ppqp..should I apologise or blag it and say you started it..with shall we tell him about Thomas...then blondie comes up with the trains thingy...so heres the deal

I apolo...................cant get fairer than that 50% of I apologise!!! :H:H:H:H
                      :H:H

Comment

af day Thursday 14 March

Morning all - lots of high jinks, and upbeat spirits here today, does a soul good.
                        Crazy busy work activity day today - saving lives, on my week on call stretch, so strating to suffer from lack of sleep - only four more days to go.....being AF certainly helps with my call schedule!
                        Have a great AF day everyone, will be checking back in later depending on how my day goes....
                        “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

af day Thursday 14 March

[quote=Mick;1477572]Now ppqp..should I apologise or blag it and say you started it..with shall we tell him about Thomas...then blondie comes up with the trains thingy...so heres the deal

I apolo...................cant get fairer than that 50% of I apologise!!! :Hquote]

Hey Mick - what's the story ?- you are very quiet these day.
                          Our fridge is FULL for Paddy's weekend :thumbsup:.
                          Molls Mc Ginty went shopping before she went.
                          Are you ok - did we do summat to offend you.:upset:
                          Also hello :hiya: PPQ !
                          I am away home now but will be on later if anyone around for a natter

Comment

af day Thursday 14 March

Yo affers.... See Dr Satz has walked into this here thread again

Dr Satz, I have left you an ickle ode on the army thread

How is a'body? Good I hope.

Comment

af day Thursday 14 March

:wavin: Abbers & :welcome: Tigerlilly - hope you enjoy MWO

Super quick check in from me to report a calm day and no cravings this evening. Having fleeting thoughts but sticking with green tea & peppermint. Off for early ritual of bath and ready for bed (and yes Mick, it's lovely thanks )
                              You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Working...
                              X