Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

af day Sunday 17 March

Morning me luvlies!
    Its St Patrick's Day here now and although even yesterday I saw groups of drunk female students in short green couture (joke! more like rubbish bags) I won't be celebrating the day. We never have in our family and its not because of my Scots heritage (we wouldn't even know when St Andrews was). My partner G. comes from a huge line of Irish Catholic boozers and they don't celebrate the day either. Mind you the generations have been in NZ since the 1840s. But the vultures of commerce are onto St Paddy's of course! So don't worry Pauly - plenty of people take the day in its stride but it must be crazy in Vegas.

Over the past 48 hours I have organised and spoken at a workshop, been a samosa cook, baked one of the best cakes in my life, made a Mancunian style cheese pie, been the Easter Bunny in the forest of a former lunatic asylum, chauffeured giggly and carsick teenage girls - along with all the usual tasks. Would I have done this when I was drinking? Yes I would have - but I would have rewarded myself with a lot of wine, probably burnt the cake and myself and been a grouch at the end of it all. I was very knackered and did have a wine 'twinge' for a few minutes but tossed that aside and collapsed in bed with some DVDs, icecream and chocolate. I don't usually do the latter so it was a treat. Also find I don't pig out on such food as much as when I had been drinking. No guilt.

Mick - todays your Trotsky-off day (aha another titbit for you to find a joke for) and you have redeemed yourself by sharing that you bring the wife brekkie in bed on her day off. Thats lovely. G. did it once - only once - because I refused to eat a raw egg (he immersed the egg in a cup of boiling water to save time on cooking it), toast with mould on it, and lukewarm coffee. The guy says he loves me - so love can be very very blind I guess.

Blondie - as you know many people have high cholesterol without the booze - and despite a healthy diet. The jury is still out on high vs. low vs. good/bad cholesterol and there are many many dietary myths about this - and the causes of heart disease.

LTLW - another day AF? Great isn't it? Sorry about your wee doggies. Soon the spring flowers will be poking through the ground where you live.

SL - I don't worry too much about Fridays now. For those of us with kids (like you) the work doesn't cease cos its the weekend - in fact its usually more chaotic. Maybe try to find ways to make it easier for you so you can have some time to do your own thing - or crawl away in a cave and sleep - whatever works for you. I keep food really basic on Friday nights and try to get time for a DVD/book/internet window shopping etc. But if I was younger and without a family i would probably want to go out - not sure how that works for trying to be AF. To be honest i think it must be bloody hard.

Lavande - are you being Super-Gran this weekend - anyway I bet you are coping and enjoying it. I thought of you when I was cooking for the offspring and her mates. Its exhausting but its a way I can show my love. Sounds similar for BHOG too - welcome!

PPQP - hope your event went smoothly and that your Dad visit went that way too. getting any warmer yet up there in Canada?

OK - I need to get some more coffee, Sunday papers have just been delivered and I need some healthy food.
    Have a great Sober Sunday!

af day Sunday 17 March

I'll refrain from saying Top O' the marnin'!
    (my grandparents were Irish as were most of my aunt & uncles)

TT - I miss the "sunday papers" ritual. I used to love just spending the day reading through all the papers - never buy any now (nothing to do with being canny!) How did you come up with the location for the party? And the cheese pie sounds great (is it anything like the mediterranean variety/borek?) I guess G made sure that'd be his first/last foray into breakfast-in-bed-making for you :H

Lav - great to hear your sinuses are finally clearing. Hope you don't have to nurse YB with the man-flu now though.

Just saw 2 rats on my pomegranate tree (explains why the mouse has gone quiet!) Had to cut all the fruit off and compost it (most of it had split - it was useable, but I wouldn't touch it now).

Damn, I forget what everyone wrote yesterday - need to go back ... in the meantime, hope everyone's having a great day.

Comment

af day Sunday 17 March

MAE.....early today.

TT your brekkie in bed sounds awesome Glad you have had a good day with the teenage girls......my teenager is in bed sick today.

Blondie......rats in the pomegranate tree, sounds like a UB40 number ! :H:H

The rats raid my lemon trees, I've learned to share

Comment

af day Sunday 17 March

morning everyone...cant stop....on my way out of the door...happy paddys day to all concerned (half the feckin world!!!!):H:H
        Hi TT Blondie Ky ..hope young un gets better Hi to all to come..cawfees on the stove...orf we go into the snow!!!!!

CYAZ :wavin:
        af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

af day Sunday 17 March

Goed morgen allemaal!
          (practicing...)

Yes, we are onto day 7. Baby steps.
          It is pretty amazing how much more one accomplishes without wine, huh? I am pretty astounded myself. Sounds like u have a lovely day yesterday. Would like to see the cake!

Just wondering.... have you ever looked at the site William Sonoma? They have terrific recipes I use all the time.

Enjoy your Sunday everyone- I am off to the gym. I haven't been able to get up on Sunday morning for this class in weeks and it is the best class, so off i go!
          March: 23 days AF, April 26 days AF, May _23_ AF days
          May 29: back to day 1
          June: The battle continues......

Comment

af day Sunday 17 March

Sunday check in. Off for 70th birthday party this afternoon - more tea & cake than wine & beer so shall be ok
            You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

af day Sunday 17 March

Good morning Abbers!

Not a drop of Irish in this granny so no need to celebrate anything today :H

TT, I remember the 'fun' with the teenagers & how exhausting that fun can be :H
              I actually was not even doing any problematic drinking back then & I'm glad for that.

blondie, YB is going to have to nurse himself this time around. He's flying halfway across the country today for a work related project. He'll be taking along his bagful of doc ordered medications, just as well

Greetings Kuya, Mick, LTLW& FF! Hope everyone has a good day today!

I still need to do some catch up work today, can't put it off any longer!
              Wishing everyone a great AF Sunday.
              Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

af day Sunday 17 March

Mae, my friends,

I've missed a few check-ins. I'm doing alright, but the crush of duties in my life is starting to piss me off. Friday night was errands and fixing wifi at home; got to eat at 9:00pm finally. Satruday was more errands in a.m., wash and hem baseball uniform, volunteer at opening day parade, baseball events, afternoon kid party an hour away, home to host a dinnner/playdate to spell another divorced parent on on a Saturday night. Finally had a moment to myself at 9:30pm.

TT, judging from your post, you know what I'm experiencing. And SL, and countless others out there. I have started this week to be VERY ANGRY about my life. And I've been awful with my son - calling him on his behavior, but doing so in a really off the charts way. Mom is in the middle of a nervous breakdown.

More chores and a huge amount of work due for my job before Sunday night ends. I know this is a phase in life; heck, it's a phase partially driven by baseball season. I'm going to focus on coping with awful days wthout completely losing my shit.

Cat
                "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

af day Sunday 17 March

Instead of starting Monday's post - I'll do a quick reply here esp 'cos Cat sounds exhausted.
                  Cat - I feel for you and don't have any magic answers - except that booze won't help with the coping. All the rushing around you describe is so 'normal' these days. We know we should find time for ourselves - but sometimes its really hard - esp with no other support person to call upon, and our kids do really need us.
                  Fortunately my daughter was grateful and great on Sunday - did her homework without me bugging her. Part of that involved working on her art portfolio (she's taking art as an exam subject in senior high school). Swings and roundabouts with kids. But booze is not like that - it just drives us down and down....
                  Take care my dear and I hope you find a bit of sanity time this Sunday. Same to everyone else - hi there TTLW, FF, Lavande, Mick, Blondie and Kuya and all others to come...
                  PS - Blondie, the pie was British - short pastry, tasty cheese and onion. I know lots of special locations around here - I am a bit of an explorer and love finding new places or places people have forgotten about...no pomengranates here though!

Comment

af day Sunday 17 March

Hi all, week one done hey LTLW and FF - week two commencing well!
                    Cat - so understand - really wanted to get outside for a bit this weekend - too many errands and homework, never mind my real job! And laundry, cats, tidy up....the list goes on and on - I found myself shouting at the girls at 10pm, like a fishwife - HATE it when I go there, it has been a lot less since cutting way back/giving up drinking, but sometimes it just creeps up! Had to apologise this morning for shouting, but tried to explain why I felt that I didn't need to tell them over and over to go to bed
                    Sitting here looking at my laptop to write and my muffin top is in the way - as the sun is shining, I need to get motiviated to work on getting rid of it - does not make me feel good - but chocolate is my subsitute in the evening for wine....
                    I used to enjoy teh sundays too - given them up as there is hardly any news in them any more - and don't get The Broons or Oor Wullie in the comics either :H:H
                    Happy St Patricks day to anyone who recgnises it - I have carefully not put green on today, and it won't be in the beer, potataoes, bread, eggs, toilet water, lines down the middle of the road or anything else that the folks over here colour green this weekend
                    “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

af day Sunday 17 March

morning

Cat - hope you can find some time for yourself to relax. You too, SL! And well done on heading into week 2!
                      Kuya - saw NZ's drought on the TV last night (and telling Wellingtonians to flush/wash less:H) Don't know why UB40 didn't go for those lyrics...

hope everyone had a great sober Sunday. Horrified to discover I put on about 6kg (which is about 14lbs/1 stone):upset: Moving house this week too. Long story. Between a rock and a hrd place, but I'm letting go (not just of myself:H:H) and going with the flow...

If I come back on here today, kidnly kick me off - so much to do...:thanks:

Comment

af day Sunday 17 March

Blondie - sounds as if the move is not what you want???? Hope it goes smoothly :l
                        I am also at a stone extra - got a magic wand to make it go??? It is all since Christmas, I didn't think i had been that bad :upset: I have been reading about stress causing weight gain, or difficulty losing it - really wish it would vanish!
                        “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

af day Sunday 17 March

Sorry, haven't read back but wanted to say to Blondie...put that positive spin back in the move. Remember the people you met while visiting?

I personally have had a very weird weekend. Great visit with my Dad Saturday morning, stop in at work to supervise the table set up..so everythings going great and all I can think of is getting a 1/2 of vodka to drink while waiting to go to the comedy dinner show.

Where the hell did that come from and it stayed with me till I left early for the show. Kept busy checking everyone in, seating them, and general running around making sure everything was going to go off without a hitch.

Was an excellent meal, great comedy show and many kudos for a job well done. Really wanted to turn left to go "you know where" when I left, but turned right and headed home. Very wired from the evening so found it tough to get to sleep.

Restless night, woke up to another -13C windchill -21C, snow, fog crystals, very gloomy. I think the weather was the only thing that stopped me from heading out for that 1/2 again. Didn't go to my AA meeting today, that's probably bugging me as I sure could have used it. Spent the day cleaning and basically keeping busy with mindless work.

Just finished dinner and am going to escape into a book. I usually read because I enjoy it but tonight it's an escape.

Sorry, but had to get this out and let it go so that hopefully tonights sleep will be better. Will check in on the morrow...hope everyone else is doing ok....PPQP

Comment

af day Sunday 17 March

I posted last night....and lost it. But I am still here.

Cat...I hear you about overwhelming times...I think about how many times I drank through them....I lived to tell about them....but, honestly I have no idea how I managed.

We are on vacation....and even in this tourist town....St. Patty's was minimal. The only thing I missed was....corned beef. Here is the funny part....I used to be drinking so much that I never even ate corn beef on most St. Patty's Days (maybe in a good blackout)...although I am getting myself some corn beef when I get home.

I was a bit nervous about vacation. However, its gone well. We are having a blast as a family.....relaxing....and when I get back....we move and I start school. Along with normal life of working and everything.....I am excited. I checked in with a few people about being overwhelmed due to school...however, I they all reported that since they are the into-courses....I will be fine.

So I am taking relaxation seriously...rest serioulsy....and excited about the future.

Comment

af day Sunday 17 March

It's technically Monday, but I'm closing out the weekend.

First, PPQ. I'm so glad you didn't get that vodka. It was a craving, right? Whatever triggered it, you survived it. You did great! As long as you can ride it out, you can survive the randomness of it.

I completely exhausted myself today, but doing what I wanted to do, which was clean and shop for my home. I clean when I'm stressed, and I did a DEEP clean. Floors, walls, ceiling in the bathroom, baseboards, doors, and more. My cleaning lady cleaned alongside me, though the lighter stuff, and I think she thinks I've gone insane. I did a bit, but by the end of the day I got it out of my system, and was back to the mom I usually am.

Shopping - a big vice for me. I found a beautiful print for my dining room at a going out of business sale. I also bought myself some french perfume, also on sale, and something I've never owned. I smell pretty as I sit here typing this!!! I'm my own date tonight - just me and a cup of tea.

SL, I made it out for a hike at 7:00pm, so it was cold by then. Just a short 2 miles, but a steep hill so the glutes would feel it. I hope you feel motivated by the warm weather - our Spring is coming. We can get that muffin shrinking in no time. Let's think about PPQ's weather in comparison, and get outside.

Thanks for always being here, all my sober friends.

Cat
                              "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Working...
                              X