60 days AF / Transfer thy burden...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and he shall sustain thee; he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved." (Psalm 5:22)

It is a heavy burden; roll it on Omnipotence. It is thy burden now, and it crushes thee; but when the Lord takes it, He will make nothing of it. If thou art called still to bear, "he will sustain thee."

It will be on Him and not on thee. Thou wilt be so upheld under it that the burden will be a blessing. Bring the Lord into the matter, and thou wilt stand upright under that which in itself would bow thee down.

Our worst fear is lest our trial should drive us from the path of duty; but this the Lord will never suffer. If we are righteous before Him, He will not endure that our affliction should move us from our standing.

In Jesus He accepts us as righteous, and in Jesus He will keep us so.

What about the present moment? Art thou going forth to this day's trial alone? Are thy poor shoulders again to be galled with the oppressive load?

Be not so foolish. Tell the Lord all about thy grief and leave it with Him. Don't cast your burden down and then take it up again; but roll it on the Lord and leave it there.

Then shalt thou walk at large, a joyful and unburdened believer, singing the praises of thy great Burden-bearer.
    Control the Mind

congrats on 60 days Rocky!

Got a heavy load?
    :h NAncy
    I?ve been to Sunday school enough times to know that God doesn?t take vacations. He doesn?t take a breather, and He doesn?t get much sleep. It?s a basic fact, but I recently found myself in the middle of trials doing the typical ?God-where-are-you?? routine. It felt like I carried my troubles all alone without relief or even a glimmer of hope that the end was in sight. So, I asked, If God is here, then why isn?t He helping?
    I was contemplating this the other day in my favorite place for deep thought ? a bookstore with a cup of coffee in my hand. As I sat down in a Barnes and Noble near my apartment, my prime window spot was perfect for people watching. Sometimes watching the world takes your mind off yourself.
    Before I could figure out which latte would lift my spirits, I noticed a young couple with a baby and a toddler walking out of the grocery store next door. They were all carrying bags ? even the toddler. He held a package of diapers barely covered in plastic and dragging on the sidewalk.
    He was trying his best to hold the bag up, but it was nearly as big as he was. After struggling, the boy and the bag when down to the ground, and I could see him mouthing ?help? to his parents, who were several steps ahead of him by now.
    If you?ve ever walked with a toddler anywhere, then you know that their little legs can significantly slow down the pace. I was expecting the father to take the bag from the child. Dad certainly wasn?t carrying that much. He seemed strong enough, and it would certainly speed things up.
    Instead, his father stopped, put the diapers back in the bag, and helped the boy to his feet. When the child dropped the bag again seconds later, the father did the same. He didn?t scold the child for lagging behind. The third time he looped the boy?s arms through the handles of the bag so he could wear it like a backpack. The boy was all smiles as he walked steadily down the sidewalk.
    I thought it was cute at first, but the wisdom in it resounded in my mind. Aren?t we a lot like this child? Whether we asked for it or it was given to us, sometimes we wind up carrying burdens that are too heavy or awkward to handle.
    It would be so much simpler if God just took it from us, wouldn?t it? He could send a check in the mail, instantly heal our bodies, or mend our broken relationships. He?s God. That?s got to be nothing for the One who created the universe.
    But instead, He lets us carry it. He walks right beside us and adjusts the burden just enough so that it?s bearable. It sounds cruel, but there?s a method here.
    James 1:3 simply says that ?the testing of your faith develops perseverance? (NIV). Trials sometimes serve no other purpose than to make us tougher. Every day you carry that burden, you?re a little bit stronger than you were the day before. On the surface, it seems sadistic, but in reality it?s the best spiritual fitness regiment you?ll ever be on.
    An interesting addendum to this story is that the boy still couldn?t carry the bag on his back. It kept slipping off his tiny shoulders. His father then walked behind him with his hand gently holding the bag up.
    You may still feel the burden on your shoulders, but it?s God who?s carrying the bulk of the weight. And it?s comforting to know that He?ll hold you up all the way home.
    More Devotions on Spiritual Life
    "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Thanks for sharing that Nancy...Very well said.
      Control the Mind

Comment

Just the same thing you said without the thee's and thou's.....
        I've found that sometimes more people are drawn to our everyday language...
        Also...
        I had a pastor-teacher that would share the very same thing three different ways before he would let us go home on Sundays!
        ) Nancy

Comment

Beautifully put Nancy, respect to you and to Rocky.

Lorna
          Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

Beautiful story, beautifully told. However I'd still like that check in the mail followed by a nice cold glass of chardonnay. The Lord knows my little legs can't keep up.
            Sorry to whine about not having my wine.

Anemone

Comment

Lean on us Anemone............. We'll help you!

:l Nancy

Comment

way to go nancy, keep it real......

Comment

think it maybe make it more REAL to lots of us if not spoken in the ancient language ie thee and thou... no disrespect to rocky.... just how I feel.. xxx love you babe... keep having Jerry Hall in mind when I hear that southern drawllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Comment

I grew up on the King James Bible...now it just flows like poetry to me.. the thee and thou's...sorry if it stuffy sounding to some, but all in all, I trust the truths come through.

Blessing to all...
                    Control the Mind

Comment

Hi Rocky,
                      I also grew up with the KJ version. And I still love to hear it read.
                      I came to love hearing and reading in more modern language when my grandkids started asking questions and I think it made it eaiser to understand.
                      To each his own.....whatever works for you!

All in all, you know we are "but dust"!!
                      Our God must be smiling whenever we read any of His word.

:l Nancy

Comment

Thanks to Rocky and Nancy for the beautiful posts. I like the KJV because I too grew up on it. The scripture that I have in my memory bank is from the KJV. I too love it's poetry. It was our daily bread. A lot of it is difficult for me to understand so I use the NIV or another modern day version for my study and quiet time. Rocky, does the title of your thread mean that you have been AF for 60 days? If so I want to say to you,:goodjob: Liz
                        :heart: Eliziby :heart:

Comment

Yes Liz...actually today is 68...I am amazed...the other side of that is that since I've been sober, God's Word is speaking to me about serving Him again, more, etc...All scary cause it seems like it would be so easy to start back at drinking.. I know "Trust" my Child. "He that hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the Day of the Lord"

Bless you! Liz
                          Control the Mind

Comment

Rocky, you may be one of those that would catagorize me as a hypocrit, but I never stopped serving the Lord even while drinking. I loved Him as much then as I ever have. I was a clauset drinker. No one knew except my husband. If I had something to do, a service to attend, a talk to give, a Bible study, etc., I would wait till I got home to embibe. My husband is an early to beder and he would leave me up while I downed my vino of choice. I shared my story on the My Story thread, but it bears repeating. I won't go into that now, but God has been right by my side through it all. He continued to bless our efforts of service. I think I prayed the hardest while I was drinking because I knew what I was doing was wrong and was hurting my health. I suffered so from guilt. God knew the time was right for me to quit when He lead me to this site. I thank Him and greatfully praise Him. If you love Him serve Him. He will bless you. Liz
                            :heart: Eliziby :heart:

Comment

Rocky - just read your post earlier. If you have read my earlier posts you will know I am a beginner in this path to Jesus, no disrepect meant to you I just find it easier to take in when spoken plainly. Lorna xxx

Comment

Working...
                              X