Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gonna try this

Hi everyone,

I am back to trying to get sober again. Started in earnest in 2004 and have had some spells of success (a couple of month-long stretches, celebrated our 10 year anniversary sober, etc.). After a stressful spring/summer last year, I basically gave up. I may have a week where I string 3-4 days together, but more often than not, I am drinking 6+ days a week now. Ugh. My DH is a tee-totaller and is becoming more distressed. I wait until evening to start, to hide it from the kids, but what a horrible way to live! To top it off, I got a DUI last August. I was lucky in getting it reduced to reckless driving because of cop error, but now have license suspension coming up (30 days), fines, insurance rates up, and all that fun.

I ordered and received some Campral on-line and have taken it for 2 days. I feel bloated and gross, but is that related to the drug? I am very curious about the Topomax. I'll read more and decide soon. Worried about the weekend (which for me tends to start on Thursday night). Really want to stop the madness and lose the extra 10 pounds I've put on this year.

Journey

Gonna try this

Wishing you the best Journey. Wanting to make a change is a great first step. I have not done the prescription meds but do the supps and CDs and they have helped quite a bit. Hope to see you around more! :welcome:
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Gonna try this

Hi Journey.. well this is a journey thats for sure.

I reckon people come to this site a variety of ways.. they hear of topa.. or they google something about alcohol... whichever way you came.. welcome.

Lush is right.. wanting to change is a first step. Then there are a variety of ways that you can go.. its indicative of these choices that this board can look a bit busy with all its different parts... and there is no one choice for everyone - and topamax does not work for everyone, and neither does RJ say it does. People here have succeeded and failed on both campral and topamax...

Have belief in yourself that you can do this.. read people's posts where they find the strength within.. its so uplifting.. and you can have this too.

Thats why its very important that you find out what is right for you. RJ puts forward an integrated program.. hers is hypnotherapy, supplements, exercise and then a choice of meds also. I did not follow her program, but I do agree that any program requires at its foundation a number of facets which her program provides.

The bottom line is that you have to be determined to change. There does seem to be a process sometimes where people try and fail.. and they kind of slowly progress along a harm minimisation course.. others go cold turkey and just do an all in approach (I was the latter sort).. its up to you to determine which sort of process would suit you best.

You wont regret it.
      Brigid

Comment

Gonna try this

Morning journey, welcome back. Great advice on here (wish I would take it!) - on a positive note - DAY 2 AF - Yahoooo.

Lorna xx
        Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

Gonna try this

journey04;113846 wrote: Hi everyone,

I am back to trying to get sober again. Started in earnest in 2004 and have had some spells of success (a couple of month-long stretches, celebrated our 10 year anniversary sober, etc.). After a stressful spring/summer last year, I basically gave up. I may have a week where I string 3-4 days together, but more often than not, I am drinking 6+ days a week now. Ugh. My DH is a tee-totaller and is becoming more distressed. I wait until evening to start, to hide it from the kids, but what a horrible way to live! To top it off, I got a DUI last August. I was lucky in getting it reduced to reckless driving because of cop error, but now have license suspension coming up (30 days), fines, insurance rates up, and all that fun.

I ordered and received some Campral on-line and have taken it for 2 days. I feel bloated and gross, but is that related to the drug? I am very curious about the Topomax. I'll read more and decide soon. Worried about the weekend (which for me tends to start on Thursday night). Really want to stop the madness and lose the extra 10 pounds I've put on this year.

Journey
          My doctor prescribe Campral for me, i told him i wanted Topo but he wouldnt listen. When i got back from his office i did some research on Campral, one of the side effects could be weight gain, no way i have gained enough weight from drinking. One of the benefits of Topo is weight loss. I ordered from the web site here some Topo.

Good luck to you
          Its strange being sober; huh, so this is how normal people are :H

Comment

Gonna try this

Great to hear from all of you! I am encouraged, on this day 2 AF for me too. Went running this morning, which usually bodes well for helping me stave off some of the cravings later. I will come to these boards for support and can't wait to get to know all of you better. Have a great day!

Journey

Comment

Gonna try this

Welcome to MWO Journey:
              I started on the Topa in February. It has definately helped with the cravings. I am also taking the Kudzu and am going to the store today to get the L-Glut. Weight loss has not been a side effect from the Topa for me (figures!!!!), but it has not caused bad ones either. I wish you much success in anything you try.
              Learning to live life on the outside of a bottle. :flower:

Comment

Gonna try this

Hi, Journey,

Just wondering how you're doing as the last reply to your thread was over a week ago. Wishing you best of luck.
                I'm starting on a new day!

Di

Comment

Gonna try this

Hey there,

Thanks for checking on me. I am eagerly checking my mailbox each day for the Topa RX that will be arriving soon. I had a 1/2 and 1/2 week last week. Four days sober, then a string of drinking days. I am a black or white gal. And I tend to "start over" on Mondays. So here I am digging out again. Lots of work to do. No one said it was easy, right?

Journey

Comment

Working...
                  X