af day Saturday 30 March

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

af day Saturday 30 March

MAE - couldn't resist starting a thread from Hong Kong! I am only at the airport and its not even 7am. Glad to see that everyone is doing well - keeping warm - or looking forward to some slightly better weather.
    I have a 13 hour flight ahead of me - boarding in a couple of hours.
    Managed to get some sleep on the plane and watched the movie Hitchcock. It had a nice swimming pool in it Kuya!
    Only drinks I consumed were water and coffee. It really is much better flying sober. I have witnessed a few inebriated people make mistakes and leave things behind (I always help out of course) - reminds me of an old boozer I once knew intimately!!!:l

Once I get to Heathrow - I go to Epsom for a few days to sleep - and stay with my niece and her children. My abstinence will probably be commented on but they will will be very supportive and niece gets 'tipsy' on looking at one glass of wine. I by-passed that 'gene' - like most of us here!
    Hope you all PPQP, SF, Cat, BHOG, LTLW, and all others are getting some rest this Easter.

af day Saturday 30 March

Signing on to tomorrow, just to enjoy my 21 days a tad early!
    Missed a couple of days as it seemed to get a little tense and I do like this thread as it seems to avoid that for the majority of the time - I have enough stress in my other life, I do like to come here without it. Been reading though to keep on my path - and good to see that all doing just fine!
    Just took a peek back and I started 2013 with the hope of being AF - it was a big hope, but goals should stretch you - I have not made my goal, but I drank 2 days in Jan, 5 in Feb and will finish March with 2 days - 9 total out of 90 - 10% - or better still 90% AF - I can live with that!!!
    Happy Easter all:l:l
    “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

af day Saturday 30 March

Thats great going SL - you have been almost 100% AF.
      Sometimes the tension on this thread must brush over me - or maybe I don't know folk that well. But I agree that its a damn sight less tense than some other threads that I had a peek a while ago. I guess this might be because the folk on this thread are pretty clear about what their goals and 'way out' is.

Comment

af day Saturday 30 March

G morning all- I have not been spending much time here this past week; hubby starts work soon. we are house hunting & I still do not have a wedding dress. I think I have about 10 days left.... Often my posts disappear lately when I hit post quick reply? I think it is my iPhone, I am on the desktop now. I don't have the hang of using it yet. (Babbling... sorry).
        I agree that this thread is a very positive and nurturing place. And I have, in the past, seen some pretty aggressive posts in other locations on this site. Stuff that really turned me off. Anyhow, that is why I stick to this thread and refer to it in my mind as 'the safety zone.'

I am doing rather well to be honest, not to jinx myself but.... I will post April 1st the number of AF days I have had and take it from there. The best part I think is waking up in the morning and feeling fresh and clear headed.

Something terrible has happened that is also helping me to stay on track. I got news a cousin has died. They will not know for a couple of weeks exactly what happened, but apparently she had a nasty habit of using tranquillers and alcohol when things get rough. And life has been very rough on her. In the past three years her husband died and in November her mom did too. There were lots of unpleasant things going on for years and she was not equipped to deal with it. Now she has two sons without parents. Really hard to digest and no one is surprised about the situation, except those of us who had no idea what was going on. It really is a wake up call on a variety of levels: family genes (her mom passed early because of alcohol addition), my dad had a heart attack last year (alcohol related as well). Best I not take life for granted I would say.

I have a lot going on now that is all good, but also very big adjustments. Gonna just continue to take it one day at a time, I think that works best for me.

Wishing u all a restful long week-end! Long trip ahead for you Treetops and you are right to focus on how much more comfortable you will be without drinking alcohol on the flight. I fly to Manila every couple of years to see friends and that is a long hall! Best to sleep as much as you can on the plane!
        March: 23 days AF, April 26 days AF, May _23_ AF days
        May 29: back to day 1
        June: The battle continues......

Comment

af day Saturday 30 March

G morning all- I have not been spending much time here this past week; hubby starts work soon, we are house hunting & I still do not have a wedding dress. I think I have about 10 days left.... Often my posts disappear lately when I hit post quick reply? I think it is my iPhone, I am on the desktop now. I don't have the hang of using it yet. (Babbling... sorry).
          I agree that this thread is a very positive and nurturing place. And I have, in the past, seen some pretty aggressive posts in other locations on this site. Stuff that really turned me off. Anyhow, that is why I stick to this thread and refer to it in my mind as 'the safety zone.'

I am doing rather well to be honest, not to jinx myself but.... I will post April 1st the number of AF days I have had in March and take it from there. The best part I think is waking up in the morning and feeling fresh and clear headed.

Something terrible has happened that is also helping me to stay on track. I got news a cousin has died. They will not know for a couple of weeks exactly what happened, but apparently she had a nasty habit of using tranquillers and alcohol when things get rough. And life has been very rough on her. In the past three years her husband died and in November her mom did too. There were lots of unpleasant things going on for years and she was not equipped to deal with it. Now she has two sons without parents. Really hard to digest and no one is surprised about the situation, except those of us who had no idea what was going on. It really is a wake up call on a variety of levels: family genes (her mom passed early because of alcohol addition), my dad had a heart attack last year (alcohol related as well), my mom is an alcoholic too but has stopped drinking, her dad drank too...etc.... etc.... Best I not take life for granted I would say. By the way now that my mom doesn't drink she criticizes me if I drink a drop of wine. I feel like saying to her 'Who do you think taught me about drinking mommie?' Not worth it though. We live far apart and it is a good thing and best to just keep the peace when we do communicate.

I have a lot going on now that is all good, but also very big adjustments. Gonna just continue to take it one day at a time, I think that works best for me.

Wishing u all a restful long week-end! Long trip ahead for you Treetops and you are right to focus on how much more comfortable you will be without drinking alcohol on the flight. I fly to Manila every couple of years to see friends and that is a long hall also via Hong Kong (what a confusing airport!!). Best to sleep as much as you can on the plane!

Comment

af day Saturday 30 March

omg- before my posts disappear and now the same one posts twice? huh?

Comment

af day Saturday 30 March

morning all.and how are we today?Sober Saturday?not many people posting yesterday..the easter break...has taken most people off on holiday.
              Surprise surprise..put some plants in yesterday...put my strawberries into tubs..they are now in the greenhouse covered with frost fleece same with tomatoes and peppers.Makes you feel a lot better when you can get out`into the garden.

Tea and coffee on the go for any one that wants a cuppa

Morning TT ..and how are you? have you landed yet? If so ..you will see that the sun is shining today...and whats more we are going to change the clocks tonight...just to give you an extra hour of it!!!

Good morning Lav...the jelly babe genie!!!:H and how are you today?Did you get to the gym yesterday?Hope you and grandson/daughters have a great easter....and no eating all the eggs!!!

Morning Yah ....after moaning yesterday ..weighed meself yesterday 11st 8..goal in sight!!!how are you?hows the house coming on?We need to see what you are up to!!!

Evening KY..hows you? never had peeps for dinner b4 what are they like?whats your Easter plans or are you working?Nosmo going ok?hope you aint getting too many cravings.Have a great evening andEaster

Mornin BHOG ...hows things with you? glad you find it friendly here too...no one is judgmental...thats down to you ..we are here for each other..yes there are at times heated debates..tell me a walk of life that there isnt any in..have a great weekend

Good morning ppqp..your ladyship..your getting too used to this sort of life!! Coffee for you on the casting couch ma'am?Any plans for this weekend?whatever you are doing have a great time

Morning SL..how are you today?Wow you have done well on the af front ..keep it up..are you going for 100% or see what happens? whatever it is gotta be better than your past otherwise you wouldnt be here,so well done

Morning ltlw..how are you ? I never use the quick reply on my phone for that reason..the bloody message just disappears..the long way round is the short way round ..if that makes sense!!!!.You are doing really well on here , how long is it now ? keep up thee good work

Well wont be here tomorrow...Im out on an early start have a really happy peaceful easter folks ..stay sane safe and sober

''I went to the zoo the other day, there was only one dog in it, it was a shitzu.''

''Dyslexic man walks into a bra''

A young blonde woman is distraught because she fears her husband is having an affair, so she goes to a gun shop and buys a handgun. The next day she comes home to find her husband in bed with a beautiful redhead. She grabs the gun and holds it to her own head. The husband jumps out of bed, begging and pleading with her not to shoot herself. Hysterically the blonde responds to the husband, ''Shut up...you're next!''

I said to the Gym instructor "Can you teach me to do the splits?'' He said, ''How flexible are you?'' I said, ''I can't make Tuesdays'', was fifth.

Police arrested two kids yesterday, one was drinking battery acid, the other was eating fireworks. They charged one - and let the other one off.

Two aerials meet on a roof - fall in love - get married. The ceremony was rubbish - but the reception was brilliant.

I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost three days already.

A man walks into a bar with a roll of tarmac under his arm and says: ''Pint please, and one for the road.''

I went to the doctors the other day and I said, 'Have you got anything for wind?' So he gave me a kite.

My mother-in-law fell down a wishing well, I was amazed, I never knew they worked.

I saw this bloke chatting up a cheetah; I thought, ''He's trying to pull a fast one''.

There's two fish in a tank, and one says ''How do you drive this thing?''

I went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

When Susan's boyfriend proposed marriage to her she said: ''I love the simple things in life, but I don't want one of them for my husband''.

''My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We'll see about that.''

I rang up British Telecom, I said, ''I want to report a nuisance caller'', he said ''Not you again''.

I met a Dutch girl with inflatable shoes last week, phoned her up to arrange a date but unfortunately she'd popped her clogs.

A jump-lead walks into a bar. The barman says ''I'll serve you, but don't start anything''

Slept like a log last night........ Woke up in the fireplace.

A priest, a rabbi and a vicar walk into a bar. The barman says, ''Is this some kind of joke?''

A sandwich walks into a bar. The barman says ''Sorry we don't serve food in here''

The other day I sent my girlfriend a huge pile of snow. I rang her up, I said ''Did you get my drift?''.

I cleaned the attic with the wife the other day. Now I can't get the cobwebs out of her hair.

Went to the paper shop - it had blown away.

A group of chess enthusiasts checked into a hotel and were standing in the lobby discussing their recent tournament victories. After about an hour, the manager came out of the office and asked them to disperse. ''But why?'' they asked, as they moved off. ''because,'' he said ''I can't stand chess nuts boasting in an open foyer.'

I'm in great mood tonight because the other day I entered a competition and I won a years supply of Marmite......... one jar.

So I went to the Chinese restaurant and this duck came up to me with a red rose and says ''Your eyes sparkle like diamonds''. I said, ''Waiter, I asked for a-ROMATIC duck''.

Four fonts walk into a bar the barman says ''Oi - get out! We don't want your type in here''

I was having dinner with Garry Kasporov (world chess champion) and there was a check tablecloth. It took him two hours to pass me the salt.

There was a man who entered a local paper's pun contest.. He sent in ten different puns, in the hope that at least one of the puns would win. Unfortunately, no pun in ten did.

I went down the local supermarket, I said, ''I want to make a complaint, this vinegar's got lumps in it'', he said, "Those are pickled onions''.

I backed a horse last week at ten to one. It came in at quarter past four.

. I swear, the other day I bought a packet of peanuts, and on the packet it said ''may contain nuts.'' Well, YES! That's what I bought the buggers for! You'd be annoyed if you opened it and a socket set fell out!''

A lorry-load of tortoises crashed into a trainload of terrapins, What a turtle disaster

My phone will ring at 2 in the morning, and my wife'll look at me and go, ''Who's that calling at this time?' ''I don't know! If I knew that we wouldn't need the bloody phone!''

I said to this train driver ''I want to go to Paris". He said ''Eurostar?'' I said, ''I've been on telly but I'm no Dean Martin''.

Two Eskimos sitting in a kayak were chilly. But when they lit a fire in the craft, it sank, proving once and for all that you can't have your kayak and heat it

A three-legged dog walks into a saloon in the Old West. He slides up to the bar and announces: ''I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.''

I tried water polo but my horse drowned.
              af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

af day Saturday 30 March

Good Saturday morning Abbers

Up way too early again today, oh well.
                I am not thrilled that it's below freezing out there - what's up with the weather? It's supposed to be Spring.

Glad to report only a small jelly bean attack yesterday :H
                Damn those things are pure sugar & totally addictive!

I am working out some homemade physical therapy for my grandson until he is seen by the real thing. I just can't stand seeing this kid spending his entire day sitting on the sofa with the iPad on his lap playing 'train games'. I put the iPad away last evening & made him spend 30 minutes on the floor with me & some toys. he wasn't happy but he did move around a little & did a lot of kicking with his feet & legs He needs to do this several times/day to build up his strength.

TT, I hope you were able to grab some more sleep on your long flight!

Greetings to LTLW, SL, Mick & everyone!
                Stella & the girls are waiting for some fresh feed & water so I'll get moving.
                Wishing everyone a wonderful AF Saturday!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

af day Saturday 30 March

MAE.......thanks for the kick off TT. I went to school near Epsom .......many, many moons ago :H grew up around that area and moved around Surrey and Sussex.

Hi Mick .... smoke free and today just had a kind of grieve when it hit me that it is like booze .......never again. I know it should be joyous but a bit of me felt sad. But oh well.......next ! :H

Hi Winter.......scary when things like that make you realise that you are not immune. Just keep on trucking and move back into the safety zone is all you can do

Lav......you can hire these indoor jungle gyms which he should love playing on

Laters and hi to all to come

Comment

af day Saturday 30 March

Good morning all! Yes, the nurdl is still about and still AF! Over six months now. I was very busy doing music direction for a very successful musical production. Six performances in a 400 seat theater and every one was sold out. I was in charge of all of the music including the 12 musicians who played 24 instruments for the show. I certainly couldn't have done that while drinking. I'm off to do a lot of reading to see what y'all have been up to. I've missed you and it's so nice to know you are here. Best to all.
                    ~nurdl
                    :notes:
                    we are human beings with alcohol problems not alcoholics with problems caused by drinking

Comment

af day Saturday 30 March

NURDL !!!!, ........well it is so good to see you.......I feared the worst......don't do that GF

Glad you are well and busy and AF

Comment

af day Saturday 30 March

MAE ALL...

TT...thanks for the Hong Kong kickoff. Sounds like you're handling the flight just fine.

SL...congrats on your first 21 AF days. The hope for being AF in 2013 is huge, but the hope to be AF for today is manageable.

LTLW...hubby starting work and you looking for a wedding dress, must have missed something there, are you married or not? I only ask 'cause I married my hubby twice! Sorry to hear about your cousin, life teaches us lessons everyday if we're paying attention. I like your April 1st plan and I totally agree about the fresh and clear headed feeling in the morning. That's one of my biggest gratitudes.

Mick
                        ...thanks for the coffee. Hope you got that weather sorted out for TT or you'll be hearing about it. :H Taking the long weekend to just relax. Off to a Texas Hold'em Tourney tonight (thought it was last night) so wish me luck. I won this one last time.

Lav
                        ...good luck with the homemade PT. If I recall from posts he's usually pretty active isn't he? Remember, time takes time. I like KY's idea of an indoor jungle gym. Jelly bean time almost over, hang in there.

KY
                        ...doesn't matter what the addiction, you're giving up an old friend and grieving is a part of growing. Hope you had a craving free day.

Nurdl
                        ...good to see you and glad you haven't sold the car yet. :goodjob: on 6+ months, no stopping you now. Hope you'll park the beast here for awhile it'll be nice catching up.

Second cuppa for the jokes and then it's off to make the requested eggs benedict, sausage and hashbrown breakie. Figure that takes care of my Easter Meal. Have a great AF Saturday all and all to come...PPQP

Comment

af day Saturday 30 March

[QUOTE=porqoui;1485244]MAE ALL...

LTLW[/B]...hubby starting work and you looking for a wedding dress, must have missed something there, are you married or not? I only ask 'cause I married my hubby twice! Sorry to hear about your cousin, life teaches us lessons everyday if we're paying attention. I like your April 1st plan and I totally agree about the fresh and clear headed feeling in the morning. That's one of my biggest gratitudes.

[B]

haha... good point. We filed a 'registered partnership' about a year ago for financial reasons ( we were abroad and with this document he could receive additional salary for me) and now we are doing a traditional wedding in the netherlands.

Comment

af day Saturday 30 March

OK, got it now. :thanks: Pic of the dress would be nice when you get it.

Comment

af day Saturday 30 March

MAE lovely FABbers not so near...yet not so far....

It is always such a treat to start the day by reading here with a cup of streaming fresh-ground French roast decaf. Look at how well and happy and healthy all of us are continuing to become.

NURDL!!!!! You are soaring, my friend. Methinks your little pink car has a pair of wings. Thanks for swinging in to let everyone know about your latest and really great achievements. Amazing what we can do once we let go of addiction. It really is a drag in more ways than one.

Mickster....I really appreciate your wonderful jokes and the kindness and care you show everyone who comes this way. AND you are really rocking La Vida AF. Did I ever tell you my step mom is a Scot. Edinburgh and Aberdeen were her haunts. It is a lovely, lovely place. I've been once and would love to go again. I accidentally saw the Queen Mother toodling along near Balmoral. I was a crazy American Chick jumping up and down in excitement as she drove by. She gave us the cutest Royal wave anyway!

Kuya....you are the energizer bunny of these boards....You have a really big heart and a really good head on your shoulders. You speak the truth to folks - even when they may not want to hear it. And while it may not always be apparent....those words are important in cutting through the dense brain fog that envelopes the addicted brain. I'm glad you stick with us. We love you...and need you!

TT...our wonderful world traveller....look at the great new wiring you just wrapped up in flying AF! Every time we break those old associations with dulling our senses with AL....we are building brand new, healthy neural pathways in our brains. You keep enjoying those Dopamine highballs with a twist!

LearningTLW....well...as a veteran of many, many, many northern winters....I have to tell you that you are definitely on the right track by training yourself to embrace the experience. Attitude is probably half the battle....but a good, pharmaceutical grade brand of Vitamin D3 could be the other half. Those of us in northern latitudes are usually quite deficient and need that extra supplementation since we don't see as much of the sun as we need to function properly. Sure makes a difference for me! We still have another month or more before we'll see the ground around here.

Lav....you are one of the smartest people I know. Getting your grandson to move is really brilliant. It's not just good for his muscles...it's essential for his mental health, too. Your family is really fortunate to have you.

PPPPPQ....how you doing, my fine southern neighbor? Still up to your eyeballs in snow? You are such a ray of sunshine - thanks for brightening all of our days!

Okay....later FABulators! Off to Costco....and maybe a mushy ski!

xoxoxox
                              Sober for the Revolution!
                              AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

Working...
                              X