Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing mindset about drinking

Hi all

As those of you who read my Value of meditation thread know, I have been reading about Buddhism and learning about how to change self-image with a view toward addressing drinking.

Now, I just started reading Alan Carr's book Easyway to control drinking. I only read 90 pages so far but think there might be some valuable lessons in here.

For example, he says that it is a myth that we cannot handle stress. This is a myth in society, that we are deficient and need booze to cope, a myth that is supported by ads and movies. But the reality is our bodies are very complex and we can cope with lots of things.

This deficiency feeling feeds addiction. I think this fits with the buddhist books i have been reading, that we actually can deal with stressful situations better than we think we can.

The other thing he talks about is the rationale for quitting. he thinks focusing on the negatives and feeling deprived is the wrong way. he seems to be suggesting we just use our natural abilities to deal with life and view the trap of addiction for what it is.

Also, he addresses the myths that keep us drinking. for example, we say that a beer quenches our thirst when in fact it dehydrates us. Or we say it makes us sociable, when in reality it knocks us out. he says we need those excuses to justify doing something that is in fact very harmful. Very interesting stuff.

also, he doesn't like the stigmatising term "alcoholic" and doesn't believe alcoholism is a disease. I agree with this.

I like this book!!!

I am a huge fan of the book also -

Comment

Thanks for sharing that Nancy. I'll have to look into the book. Certainly my feelings of inadequacy is the major reason I drank (drink). My lack of resiliency is the thing I like least about me. But I've been gaining much from meditation lately, too, and I love the idea that our bodies can indeed handle much more than we give them credit for.
      Thanks again for bringing this out for discussion. I'll look into it more when I get back....right now I'm bracing myself for a parent/teacher conference which may be a bit stressful so I need a couple of minutes of meditation before I leave....

Comment

stress!

I find the book interesting, if very different!

I know what you mean about lack of resiliency. i think i finally have woken up to the link between low self-esteem and drinking. I don't want to be constantly seeking external cues for my self-worth.

I haven't been very good about meditating for a while though. I like the books, more an intellectual process. but i know the actual practice is so important. I want to make time for it this week.

there is one meditation where you meditate on the self, then a friend, then a stranger and someone you are in conflict with, then the whole world. with each one you wish that person well and to be free of suffering. i found that really useful, though due to the insecurities, i wound up giving me more time. i hope to become more unselfish as ttime goes on. but the self part was a real eye-opener, kind of emotional. the meditation teaches you that you need to show kindness to yourself first, then expand that to everyone around you.

good luck with your meeting!

Comment

on deprivation...

this book by alan carr really helps with this feeling of deprivation we get after quitting.
          the author really challenges our perception and society's perception that drinking at every social situation is normal and we are the ones who are weird. He says it is similar to the way people treated cigarettes previously but now people have wised up to the dangers.

so he makes it seem a lot less abnormal to not drink. i think that is very useful. He also encourages these positive reasons to quit because if you focus on the negatives, you may be tempted by "forbidden fruit".

and a useful analogy about using alcohol for stress.

there is a myth about the ostrich sticking its head in the sand when it senses danger, because it is so stupid. we all know that this won't make the danger go away but the bird is supposedly so stupid, it doesn't realize that. now, drinking is a bit the same, if you have stress or sense danger, why would you want to turn off all your senses?

Food for thought I think. ostriches are not really like that i guess!

Comment

This book is my bible at the moment.

I first picked it up quite a few weeks ago. Then put it down again. However, I am back into it with a vengance. It is an excellent example on how we must change our ingrained attitudes towards alcohol in order to put it into perspective in our lives and not to let it control us.

Very easy to read and comprehend.

Comment

Great thread

A very interesting thread. I've got the book. Didn't like it, but think now I've had experience of being AF I'll look at it again to see if it feels different and "speaks" to me more as your comments hit me as if I'd never read it. Thanks.

Comment

I ordered it last night, but I have no idea how much I paid for it b/c I couldn't get it through th US Amazon.com, so I went through the UK, and I don't know how to translate pounds into dollars, and I was so eager to get the book into my hands, I clicked on the fastest shipping methods. GULP.

I appreciate the insights on meditation.

Comment

Thanks, Nancy, for sharing your book experience. I am sure this would help a lot.

Comment

new attitude

funny thing about that book, you are not supposed to stop drinking until you finish it and i left it in a liquor store by mistake!

so i ordered a new one and finished it. my final feeling about it is somewhat simplistic but has some valuable messages. i am now thinking of alcohol as a drug that is addictive, not as myself as one of the few unlucky souls who are somehow not able to tolerate it. after all, the author is right, a lot of people who say they are normal drinkers have had episodes of overdrinking. i also am thinking about the way society brings drinking into everything and how that makes it difficult to abstain. i have been aiming for moderation but this book is making me reconsider that. after all, i won't touch a cigarette because i know they are addictive. even if i could have 10 cigarettes a week only i wouldn't have them because i quit 15 years ago.

Comment

Nancy,
                      Thanks for the book info. Do you have easy way to stop drinking or easy way to control alcohol? I've found both on amazon
                      Suz
                      Happy to be sober since 07 Sept 09.

Comment

It is called
                        Easyway to control alcohol

The author is mainly known for his easyway to stop smoking, check out the reviews for that book, pretty amazing. the alcohol book has only a few reviews.

Comment

Thanks, I've just ordered it.
                          Suz
                          Happy to be sober since 07 Sept 09.

Comment

funny thing about that book, you are not supposed to stop drinking until you finish it and i left it in a liquor store by mistake!

Nancy......were you taking Topa at the time, because that epitomizes my life since I've been on Topa (actually, pretty much pre-Topa, too, but I like having something to blame!)

Still waiting on the book to arrive here in the Bible belt from the UK......

Comment

Topa

No, wasn't taking dopa. i am a little spacey anyway. I just thought it was ironic that i left it there and wondered what the sales clerk must have been thinking!!!

Of course, I was too embarassed to go back.

I just reread the My Way Out Book. I can't help wonder if the topa is the most important part of this program. I am afraid to take it due to the fuzziness and the hair loss.

Hopefully I can do it without it. Is it working for you?

Comment

Working...
                              X