Can you drink when you first take Topa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My DH took topa (25mg) for the 1st time yesterday, the bottle has a label that says "alcohol intensified effect", so how is okay for those that want to moderate drinking in this program take it? He does drink heavily, but yesterday he did not come home/call, and when he did at 5:30 this am, he was still drunk and says he has no idea what happened to him. I'm not sure if he was just heavily drinking and blacked out (even though he is an alcoholic he doesn't black out at all) or if it was the mix with the drug. He checked himself into a detox at a local hospital this afternoon, b/c he said something definitely did not feel right. Did anyone else have this reaction? At this point I'm not sure what to believe, many times it's the disease talking. But, I do want to support him. I am in alanon too.

Im sorry, I cant answer your question
    but I do wish the best for you and your husband.
    hang in there!

G

Comment

nla, ask your question in general discussion. you may get more responses.
      Gabby :flower:

Comment

Hmm, I never had a reaction like that, but remember this is a medication and you never know what it can do. If he is a heavy drinker and has never had a reaction like that to drinking, and the only thing that was different was that he took the topa, then I would think that perhaps the topa had a bad effect on him...but i am no doctor....
        Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Topa is made for the treatment of epilepsy so the warning label is specific for that. It is also now also used for migraines. Doctors and researchers are now finding other uses for it (ie. treatment for alcoholism, bullimia, kleptomania to name a few). Doctors still do not readily prescribe Topa to their patients to treat alcoholism. There are quite a few people here who approached their doctors but were denied a script because their doctors did not want to prescribe a drug "off label". Many had to get theirs via the internet. Luckily I was able to get mine w/Dr. who told me to take mine at night to avoid sleepiness (which I did not get).
          :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Looking for a doctor in Atlant area who might prescribe Topamax to me to kill the afternoon craving.

Comment

more2life;114560 wrote: Hi NLA,

It happened to me too. I went from 50mg to 100mg of Topa (too lazy to cut the pill in half) 2 glasses of wine and a vodka martini later, I was on my lips. I couldn't string three words together. All if front of my son's youth pastor. :eeks: From now on I'm ordering the Topa in the 50mg.
              That's a riot!...:H :H :H .thanks for the good laugh in the middle of the day!..I'm going to be starting the Topa soon....I'll be sure to get the 50s.
              :boxer:Failure is NOT an option! :boxer:

Comment

Working...
              X