PDA

View Full Version : Betty's story

betty boop
March 31st, 2007, 09:55 AM
Hi All, I've been here for 5 months now and finally have my life back, I've decided now to share my story, I just posted this in the subscriber section but wanted to share it here as well ....

We were talking about vodka!!!!

The night that was the worst for me was ironically the night that I bought vodka home!!!!

It does get worse though! We used to go to france twice a year and fill our cellar with wine because its approx ?1 a bottle for what costs ?5 here, and we get free diesel and a HUGE truck with our job.....

I'd been getting up in the night for a long time and drinking a second bottle by myself and putting the empty bottle back in the box ......then disposing of them when hubby was at work, he never fetched the bottles up so he didn't realise how quick they were going down .....

Pretty soon I was sneaking a third bottle and on the day that Kerrie's brain surgery was cancelled at the last minute I started drinking at 6am, as soon as hubby had gone to work.....

Soon started sneaking home form work (work with my parents) to keep topping up ....

The day that it all came to a head was when I had been drinking all day, went along to my second job as a slimming consultant (in a pub) drank two more bottles there (told my members I had migraine) drove home terribly drunk, and picked up a bottle of vodka on the way home ...

Told hubby that I didn't want any wine tonight as I was being good.... and went to bed with the vodka, he knew obviously, and when I wet the bed unconcious it was the final straw....

It wasn't easy back then and I had slips, but it really is worth all the hard work ......

Thanks to everyone here, I couldn't have done it without you ..

Love you all very much xx

nattie
March 31st, 2007, 10:39 AM

Popeye
March 31st, 2007, 10:56 AM
:l
as always...

cassy
March 31st, 2007, 11:21 AM
Hi Betty...wow you have come so far!!!

I cant say I have been in the same situation and my reason at present for not drinking is because the habit had become too frequent to feel comfortable...Drinking almost daily 2- 3 glasses of wine and a bottle full when i went out with friends or at weekends at home with hubby.

That may not sound like a lot to some people..but me me i knew i had become dependent. I hated bumping into people when out if i was "slurring" .when I wentout with a friend we would have 3 large wines and i would go home "tiddly" and some times "niggly" and cause an argument with hubby...poor man would be rreading or watching Tv and i would go on and on and on.................

I have never been to a GP about my drinking, neither have I read the book or needed the supplements..BUT what is clear to me is I need to have break from alcohol before deciding if I can moderate(by some people's standards this might already be seen as moderating?)..the amount and frequency are one issue the other is "the looking forward to a drink mentalilty" i had developed.

dont know where i am going with all this but had 42 days AF now and feel i can reflect and decide dont want to go back to drinking for a hobby.

I never "pee,d the bed"but did pee in my back garden once when I couldnt get to loo quick enough after walking home from the pub!!Age comes into this I think as generally and even now I,m not drinking I am always in the loo!!

Thank you so much for sharing such personal stuff...please be assured it will help so many people on this site and maybe in particular people who cant bear to discuss their own journey will alcohol yet.

My Dad used to pee the bed when drunk...he certainly got through a few mattresses in his time...but worse still I remeber when he was 52 just before my parents marriage broke down because of hsi boozing..i recall playing out and he came staggering by with poo runnning down his legs..the after math of too much beer..He never drank spirits but the volume of pints caused hin to poo and wet himself...wow how degrading.

He died years ago...having quit the drink in the fina l year of his life.. he lived till he was 75(but was inan awful state, demented from alcohol abuse..poor man)

Well Betty ..thankyou for your amazing honesty and sharing how degrading things can become if and when the booze takes over.

i wish you well...good Luck and a big thank you formyour honesty!!

Regards Cassy

Bella
March 31st, 2007, 12:25 PM
Betty....I am proud of you for sharing your story. It just shows how far you have come, doesn't it! you should be cheering from the hill-tops! Lots of love, Bella xxx

weemelonhead
March 31st, 2007, 12:37 PM
Oh Booplet!!! Thanks for your story my favourite Busty Belle....
Gosh...doesn't reading it make you realise just how WELL you're doin' now Missus:h:
i've been through a few mattresses myself...DISGUSTED afterwards...but kept on drinking, also hit people I love, and said the most crushing, spiteful, downright damn nasty things when I've been drunk...and put myself in very dangerous situations....Crikes it's good to be able to say that it's in the past.....

You must be soooo proud of yourself my love.......huggy hugs....and MUCH back slapping..
Keep that happy mind, and healthy body...it sure looks good in your avatar:H:

Keep going Bets...
Weecheeringandwhistlingmelon
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

tea
March 31st, 2007, 06:08 PM
Thanks Betty and Wee Melon, hope you both know what your sharing means to me right now.

Lorna

Captain Morgan
March 31st, 2007, 08:01 PM
Betty, thank you for sharing. I am so glad you were able to do what you have done. That is awesome

journey04
March 31st, 2007, 09:33 PM
((((Betty))))

Thank you for sharing. So proud of you for 5 months here! Keep up the great work and inspiring so many others here.

Journey

Beaches
April 1st, 2007, 01:58 PM
Thanks for sharing that Betty, even for those of us around for awhile we need to be reminded of how we got here
You are doing so great! Hugs.

betty boop
April 1st, 2007, 02:49 PM
Thanks all for your lovely replies, I do feel really proud of myself if i'm allowed to say that!!!! It took a lot of courage to post that as I am really ashamed of my past, but thats just what it is, the past .... Here's to the future ....

Love you all xx

Java
April 1st, 2007, 02:51 PM
You should be pround of yourself!

tea
April 1st, 2007, 03:36 PM
BB, you are what you are NOW. I am not yet ready to tell my story so power to you for doing that and much respect.

Lorna xx

April 1st, 2007, 03:40 PM
Betty, I admire your courage. It is a hard fought battle but so worth it.
Love Ya
Mar

Eve11
April 1st, 2007, 07:32 PM
Thanks Betty

Betty,
Thanks for your post. That sneaking drinking is what kills me. Those days are over for me too!
Thanks for sharing and looking forward to getting to know you and everyone better.

TomNolds
April 1st, 2007, 07:43 PM
Thanks Betty and thanks to all . It's amazing how alcohol has afected so many people all over the world from the begining of time. I am ashamed to say but have drink more longer 5than most 24/7 longer than I want to admit. But point is 2nd month here and got down to 6 pack a night. Not perfect but hope hope. Thanks Betty you help me me share where I am at . Long list but hey to lushy D and Pop Eye and all of you you know who you are . Tom

Arial
April 2nd, 2007, 09:41 AM
Thanks, Betty - what a courageous and admirable lady you are! So glad you feel strong enough now to share - and YES! be proud!!
Many :l

bestlifeldms
April 2nd, 2007, 10:19 AM
Betty,

Yours is a remarkable story, of which to be proud! You offer great inspiration here. :goodjob:

Thank you!

Best

springrl
April 4th, 2007, 10:10 AM
thanks for sharing your story betty. I started drinking heavily 6 years ago after my divorce. I had found myself in dangerous situations as a result. almost lost my car and my home. amazing i kept my job. have since met and married wonderful man. have however had hard time quitting drinking. also hide extra wine in house. feel I am dragging hubs down into my drinking world. he did not drink much when I met him but now can keep up with me. I have been reading this board for about 3-4 weeks now. I now know i am not alone in this. I have been moderating, some AF days. for april I am trying to do more AF. thanks for your inspiration

Rocky
April 4th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Thanks Betty!!! Very proud of where you are today...Good job:)

DidItForMe
April 4th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Boop boop bee doop!!! You are the best! You are such an inspiration. It's hard to share our stories, still can't do it myself. Partly because I can't remember much of it! You are a strong lady and I think you are amazing. Many hugs to you.

MKR
April 6th, 2007, 01:02 PM
I am sorry I didn't see this until now!

BB, thanks for sharing!! You are totally amazing and you are all in our prayers this next week. You have done this program so well. We are very PROUD of you!

Lots of hugs and love,
Mary

eustacia
April 7th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Hey, Boops!

Like Mary, I just now read your post. You set an example for all of us who occasionally fall down even as we get stronger. Thanks so much for your kindness in sharing your story.

:heart: E

angela31uk
April 7th, 2007, 05:54 PM
I've wet myself. Twice. So embaressed. Once was with a guy I knew, much younger. I woke up in his bed, soaking wet. Was awful. Live just across road - never seen him since. Also wet myslef walking home from a night out. Why does this happen?

chatnat76
November 26th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Hey betty, thanks for your story...Im glad u had the wakeup call after your first drink driving offence. In Australia we have those breathaliser things u can install in your car but because i dont have a current aviction Im unable to get one. I couldnt even tell u how many times ive driven home and not remembered but im hoping now with my new journey that to is in my past. Stay in touch and look forward to reading more of your posts and threads.

trixietrack
November 26th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Nice work BB. I have been following your footsteps thanks for being such a great example.
big hug

Trix

changing
December 22nd, 2007, 05:06 AM
....I am a little late in my reply.....thanks Betty for sharing your story...Merry Christmas to you too....changing

betty boop
January 13th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Hi all, just updating my progress ........

It's 10 months since I posted that, and I have realised how far I have come since then .....

Yesterday we went out for lunch and half way through my meal I realised that I was drinking sparkling water, a year ago that would have been an excuse to have a glass of wine, now it really doesn't occur to me ......

I also realised that in the last year I can honestly say that although I am still drinking in moderation I have never fallen down drunk, never woke up with unexpected bruises and Mr Boop has never ever had to say to me 'Do you remember what you did last night?'

So all in all its been a pretty good year, and I owe it all to RJ and my super friends here ........:thanks: :thanks: :thanks: