Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Binge drinker's story

Hey guys,
    I am a newbie and wanted to share my story.

My problem is week-end binge drinking. I have no problem saying no to the wine on school nights/work nights. I blow it at week-end parties, re-unions, weddings, etc. It?s like being a vampire. I have a glass and then I want another and another and another.

Where I run into problems is the fact that there are times when I can totally control my
    drinking but as I look back at the times when I?ve controlled it it?s because I?m with people who don?t have drinking problems. With them I?m aware that my desire to go to the 3rd drink would be too much and they?d notice because they stop at one or two.

But put me with people who also have a problem or situations with lots of drinkers like re-unions or weddings ? then it?s real easy for me to get way out of control and end up slurring words, having black-outs, stumbling, etc.

I used to sneak drinks behind hubby?s back too. Example: we?d go to dinner and share a bottle of wine and then when we got home I?d have another glass or 2. I?d buy the little mini wines so I could do that without him knowing and then I?d stash it in the laundry, cupboard etc. until I could safely discard in the trash. Pathetic!

I recently got too drunk at a work related dinner and my professional peers noticed. Then my older son recently commented to my husband that I was ?drunk? during our last vacation. I had snuck two drinks while he as napping (after we had had 2 drinks while on port) during a cruise!

That?s when I decided to make a change. I am going to try moderation and will be tracking here at MWO. My goal is only 1 glass of RED wine (prefer white) with dinner or special occasions so I don?t feel left out of the crowd. We?ll see. Am hoping I don?t have to totally abstain but I know that some people have to ? even the 1 glass doesn?t work. So, we?ll see. Thanks for the ear and look forward to the support.
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Binge drinker's story

Hi Eve, welcome, welcome. I thought I had responded to you but see that i didn't, couldn;t have pressed the correct button... You will receive lots of responses, we are all here for you. I can totally relate to your post and so will heaps of others, the more experienced will give you a ton of good advice, all I can say at this stage, for me, is to keep looking in, this is the best place in the world for us. Look forward to getting to know you.

Lorna
    Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

Binge drinker's story

Eve11 - glad to have you here. Read the posts and take comfort in the fact that we are all here for you (and I in particular can relate to your story).
      Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Binge drinker's story

Eve, you can do this. Download the book, it is a nice start. I look forward to seeing you progress
        Its strange being sober; huh, so this is how normal people are :H

Comment

Binge drinker's story

Hello Eve,

Well, I can say I've been there with the kids noticing. If nothing else makes you stand up and take notice, its the remarks of the children, huh? I could have written your post. So happy you are here. Looking forward to getting to know you and helping each other on the path to sobriety.

Journey

Comment

Binge drinker's story

Hello Eve, your story is very familiar to me. I'm great at hiding drink from husband! Good for you coming here! Loads of lovely people to trash it out with. We know where you are coming from. Keep posting and welcome. Balla xx

Comment

Binge drinker's story

Hi Eve,i can relate to that about behaving when its expected..ie with certain people when out for a meal etc/

BUT if i get permission in my head..ie with others who drink too much,,,then away i go on drink 3(thats mt =y dangeroues one as it leads to who knows where!!!!

Thankfully havent had to hide drinks as yet...but gave seen myself pouring a large glass and drinking some on the way to sitting down pretending in my head ..if nobody seen me drink it it didnt count mentality.

binge drinking has a cruel twist..it Robs us of our dignity, makes us feel like crap after the event mentally and sometimes physically...spiritually for me it moves me away from where i want to be in my realtionship withGod...it smacks of being greedy and leaves me disgusted with myself.

I,m having a "gap" from the booze at present...i neede to clear my thoughts and get some positive action going...so no bingeing or even any alcohol for 6 weeks and NO GUILT...its a good feeling.

i have to wait and see where this journey is taking me...so for now ..thank you all for posting as it gives me support, motivationand hints on how to achieve day by day being alcohol free.
              HOWEVER..i still would like to moderate...well at least give it a try...BUT not ready as yet as need some more time to clear the brain cells of toxic xtuff...and give my body a much needed brak from poisoning it with binge drinking.

good Luck to us aall..small steps in the right direction ...i only have enough light to see the next step so try not to worry tooo much about what is ahead.

Regards Cassy

Comment

Binge drinker's story

Hi Eve & :welcome:

You really have come to the right place, you are fortunate, you recognise now that you have a problem, I was doing what you are doing for years, I used to buy a 3ltr box in the early days and keep getting an extra glass but if you read 'betty's story' on here you will see how much worse I got.

You can do this, I promise, keep reading the lovely stuff from all the people here.

We will help in any way we can.
                sigpicXXX

Comment

Binge drinker's story

Hello Eve and welcome. There was a post that I started awhile back that I welcome you to read about feeling like a fraud. That we work all day and be our perfect selves then if anyone knew the real us they would be flabergasted.
                  I did the hiding drinks from everyone, and the excuse hey it's noon somewhere right even if it was 8am my time. This place will make a difference if you allow it and want it.
                  Best of luck and here's the link:
                  https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...raud-8223.html
                  "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Binge drinker's story

I can totally relate Eve ....... especially to the hiding of drinks ...... it's even more embarassing when a member of your family finds the can of "special brew" or a half finished bottle of vodka in an unusual place.

Good Luck

Comment

Binge drinker's story

Hi Trev, even more embarrasing is sitting with a mug of 'coffee' which is really a voddy and coke.... and getting caught...

Lorna
                      Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

Binge drinker's story

once again

I too am a binge drinker. I can have 1 or 6, or spend 3 days drunk like I did this past week/end. Started drinking on Thursday, went through large bottle Skky and grapefruit juice, then bought another. I don't work on Wednesdays, Thursdays,and Fridays and this weekend had Sat and Sun off. The "trigger" this time 9do I really need one?) was all my kids and grandkids getting together Sat less than 20 minutes from my home, at my son's home, with my ex mother in law and her grandaughter from another relationship-- a family reunion of sorts. I see her on holidays and other times too, so why I was left out this time, I don't get. So, I showed them! I got drunk. And then had to go through sweats, nausea, vomting, etc. for 2 days. I am just feeling normal today. The most ironic part of this is---ha ha.... I work at a detox center, admitting and counseling alcoholics who need detox. And no one knows because I get it together when I need to work part time.

Ha, ha. The joke's on me.

The pattern is to stay sober for a few dahys, get to feeling normal, then go back to a few glasses of wine, my drink when I don't want to get drunk. Geez, I even have a prescription for Campral. What is is going to take? A heart attack? A stroke?

Discouraged.

Comment

Binge drinker's story

drinktracker

Why can't I log on to drink tracker? I can to message boards but not count my drinks which I think will be very helpful.

Comment

Binge drinker's story

Vodka and Tonic in a Perrier bottle, Vodka in Green tea, Wine in a water glass, yep, been there. Makes you feel like an idiot and a sneak. We have that monkey on our back too! Welcome!
                            Anemone

Comment

Working...
                            X