af Saturday 27 April

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

af Saturday 27 April

MAE ? Saturday morning here. I have guzzled all the tea and coffee ? but made some more ? so here we go.

Mick ? yuk, I hate fasting tests. I have one overdue and it?s the fasting that puts me off. I also don?t want a lecture from the Dr about my cholesterol and suggestions that I change my diet even more ? because its pretty pared down.
    Your garden is looking great ? I can see that former military discipline has paid off. Much needed in my garden.

Cardboard boxes are because the kitchen is being demolished on Monday and I need to get everything out of there for the following week. We might very well end up on the street as electricity and water get temporarily turned off and who know what horrors are uncovered once the boys start their work.

Hi LTLW ? yes, you should plan more fun things. It really helps with recovery. Not sure why the language exchange with your French friend with be a ?morality boost? ? I see what you mean though ? as in good for the morale. Its just the way you wrote it ? it sounds like you are a woman of ill repute who needs saving !!!! :H

Lavande ? what a wonderful Granny and Mum you are. Hope your weekend goes well.

Office sorted yet PPQP? I plan to be almost living in mine next week with our house in turmoil. My daughter might have to camp out in my office too as its school hols. But I hope she gets a better offer from her friends! G. has his own office at work.

Hi there Kuya - sunny down here today. Even blue skies again. Hi there Cat - hope you get some relaxing time this weekend.
    Have a great sober and fun weekend all and those to come

af Saturday 27 April

Hahah!! Thanks for making me laugh TT! Well, maybe I am a lady of ill repute? Can't even blame that one on bad spelling. I have been sick all week and doing stupid things, then going back to bed. I even managed to stab myself while doing the dishes. Went to the gym and didn't lock my bike. Let's see... what else?
    Yes, morale boost- not morality boost! No vino though... Whoopie! I am looking forward to May 1st... so I can tally my AF days. I do admit I thought about having some wine this afternoon. I had to break it down into 15 minute intervals of 'waiting' and I managed. I am not out of the woods yet, I know this. This is why I kind of 'hung around here' a bit more today as it really helps to remind me what I am trying to do. I am also noticing there is less and less 'friction' between my new hubby and I. No uncomfortable morning discussions these days and I want to keep it that way.
    I am going to try and change my screen name, this Learningtolovewinter is a bit long! will try to change it to LTLW instead....
    March: 23 days AF, April 26 days AF, May _23_ AF days
    May 29: back to day 1
    June: The battle continues......

Comment

af Saturday 27 April

All is good on this front....which means I am not drinking.

TT...I read your comments on AA. Quite frankly it takes alot of balls to walk into those rooms...and I am glad that it helped me to be humble. The steps are not for me. But the F2F is....the sharing in the group is. I still go and I only go to meetings that uplift me. But, the truth of the matter is.....that a small percentage even look for help....and even a smaller percentage is helped by AA. At times I felt such a f-up that not even AA could help me. Then I worked hard to be like them. Bad idea.....read my suicide posts.

I respect what everyone does here to get sober. If its AA, church, anatbuse....who really cares. But we do all care about each other. Sad that most of us will never meet in person......but.....amazing that we will do just about anything to help someone 10,000 miles away.

I started "Celebrate Recovery". I like it. It is good for me....but, in no way is this for everyone who is is recovery.

The nice thing about AA...is focused on AL. I lean towards "open discussion" meetings. Because one group I was attending....treated "Bill" like he was God. He was not and neither am I.

I just started watching videos from "I am Second"....I love them!

Comment

af Saturday 27 April

mae abbers

TT - at least you'll have sunshine if you have to camp out! Was speaking with a lovely lady from ChCh who visited family during the earthquake (fortunately she was in town on the Monday, not the Tuesday); she was telling me how hard for any business to survive there now.

Hi LTW - well done on waiting out the urge! Amazing how delaying tactics can work so well on cravings. How's spring there?

Hi SF - kind of wish I'd stuck at AA as the F2F support is wonderful.

Mick - I had blood tests yesterday too and had been waiting to get them done for ages as I kept breaking the fast (get up at 4/5 and they don't open till 8 - bit of a long wait!!)

PPQ - do we get to see befores and afters of your project? Has the snow cleared yet?!

Hi Lav, Kuya, Cat, Det and everyone else; Have a great weekend. Lovely and sunny here - found some great new riverside walks close by (pity about the plagues of mosquitoes - didn't know we had salt marshes here!)

Comment

af Saturday 27 April

mae all..wow just opened the thread ..its well started..and how are we today then?sun is shining here ,hoose is full of plants ready for their daily trip into the greenhouse..too old to leave them out, and I am getting my things ready for tomorrows jaunt..tis sunday early start pour moi.Went for blood tests yesterday..usual scenario in the chair pump your arm up and thiose magic words "sharp scratch"...only it wasnt..instead it was 3 attempts reckon she was using a blunt knitting needle!!!hey ho

Right lets move on tea n coffee on the go now

Evening Ky..and hows you this evening? you been working today?Glad the jokes are up to there usual crap standard!!!Glad you are doing well with not smoking fags ..you allowed to say that in pc world?:H yes there are some new faces ...great it means that people are taking an interest in getting rid of al ...be interesting to see how people come by this site ...for me it was just a combination of last ditch and being nosey!!

Goede morgen ltlw....a morality boost YEEEEEHAH..def have some of that!! :H and how are you today?hope all is well ...as for thoughts about drinking..your not on your own with that one..I had th e urge for a beer yesterday too..the issue is how you deal with it..now I just basically dont really bother it goes away in about 10 seconds ..by the time I have asked myself why I want it ,and think of an answer its gone!!, but in the earlier days when I had the raving I would sit down and write out why I thought I wanted one,how it would help if I did ,what would happen if I didnt, how would it affect my health how would I feel after and just keep thinking questions and writing them down and answering them...the urge goes..even during it while you are writing make a coffee or something..."surfing the wave "its called..you will soon get over the crest of it..try it next time and see

hebben een goed weekend

Morning Lav...and how are you today? busy day for you yesterday...and no social life..something tells me that you are the sort of lady that it doesnt particularily bother you that one...and if it did it would be sorted out....so how was that for politeness?heres a big coffee and a :l
          off to the supermarket for supplies....made me think of that old chinese joke....
          An Italian, a Scotsman and a Chinese man, are hired at a Construction site. The foreman points out a huge pile of sand.

He says to the Italian guy, "You're in charge of sweeping."

To the Scotsman he says, "You're in charge of shoveling."

And to the Chinese guy, "You're in charge of supplies."

He then says, "Now, I have to leave for a little while. I expect you men to make a dent in that pile of sand."

So when the foreman returns after being away for a couple of hours the pile of sand is untouched.

He asks the Italian, "Why didn't you sweep any of it?"

The Italian replies, "I no hava no broom. You saida to the Chinesea fella that he a wasa ina charge of supplies, but he hasa disappeared and I no coulda finda him nowhere."

Then the foreman turns to the Scotsman and says "And you, I thought I told you to shovel this pile."

The Scotsman replies, "Aye, that ye did laddie, boot ah could nae get meself a shoovel. Ye left th' Chinese gadgie in chairge of supplies, boot ah couldna fin' him neither."

The foreman is really angry now. He storms off toward the pile of sand to look for the Chinese gent.

Just then, the Chinese man leaps out from behind the pile of sand and yells, "SUPPLIES!!!!"

have a good one

Morning ppqp..and how are you this fine day? weather any better over there?Any plans for the weekend?Heres a coffee whilst you think about it..let me know and have a great day

Evening TT and how are you today?..intersting what you said about the disipline..it took me about 7 attempts to put those stones in..had to get wife to look at it..when I put them in ,its as if they are sized off and positioned for a royal salute..too regimented I was told!!any plans for the weekend?

Hiya SF..wow ...sounds like you really have turned that corner..well done you :wd: Yes there is no such thing as one size fits all..it is whatever helps you ,and you seem to have found it..keep it up

Hi blondie..hows you? finally got the tests done?the not eating isnt so bad ..its when you know that you cant its a pain!!! any plans for this evening.

Right thats me..cest moi fin..have a great weekend everyone...before I go..are there any long termers out there (hate that phrase!) who would like to jump in and tell us a bit about how they started ,and their success and how they feel now?just as a wee bit of encouragement for folks ..thanks

Two tourists were driving through Wisconsin. As they were approaching Oconomowoc, they started arguing about the pronunciation of the town?s name. They argued back and forth until they stopped for lunch.

As they stood at the counter, one tourist asked the employee, ?Before we order, could you please settle an argument for us? Would you please pronounce where we are?very slowly??

The blonde leaned over the counter and said, ?Burrrrrr gerrrrrr Kiiiing.?

While away at a convention, an executive happened to meet a hot, intelligent young lady. When he finally persuaded her to disrobe in his hotel room, he saw she had a perfect-10 body. Unfortunately for him, he was unable to perform when the time came.

On his first night home, the executive walked from the shower into the bedroom to find his wife all covered up in a wrinkled bath robe, her hair up in curlers, face creamed, munching loudly on some candy while reading through a movie magazine. Then, without a moment?s notice, he feels the onset of a massive erection.

Looking down at this, he snarls aloud, ?Now I know why they call you a prick!?

The ambitious coach of a girls? track team starts giving his squad steroids. Their performance soars, and they go on to win the county and state championships. The day before the nationals, Penelope, a 16-year-old hurdler, comes into his office.
          ?Coach,? she says, ?I have a problem. Hair is starting to grow on my chest.?
          ?Oh my God!? yells the coach. ?Well, how far down does it go??
          ?Down to my balls,? she replies, ?and that?s another thing I wanted to talk to you about?"

A young Southern belle walks into a bar after having a very bad day. The bartender asks her what she would like to drink, to which she replies, ?What kind of beer do you suggest??

?Anheuser-Busch?? the bartender says.

The Southern belle then retorts, ?Fine thank you. And how?s your dick??

DO YOU FIT THE BILL?

You have refused to watch the Academy Awards since "Smokey and the Bandit" was snubbed for best picture.

102. The only condiment on your dining room table is the economy size bottle of ketchup.

The rear tires on your car are at least twice as wide as the front ones.

You consider "Outdoor Life" deep reading.

You prominently display a gift you bought at Graceland.

106. You use the term `over yonder' more than once a month.

The diploma hanging in your den contains the words "Trucking Institute"

You've ever worn a tube top to a wedding.

Your favorite Christmas present, was a painting on black velvet.

You think that Dom Perignon is a mafia leader.

The most commonly heard phrase at your family reunion is "What the hell are you looking at, Shithead?"

112. You think that beef jerky and Moon Pies are two of the major food groups.

113. You think that Campho-Phenique is a miracle drug.

114. The first words out of your mouth every time you see friends are "Howdy!" "HEY!" or "How Y'all Doin'?"

You have more than two brothers named Bubba or Junior.

Your father encourages you to quit school because Larry has an opening on the lube rack.

You think a Volvo is part of a woman's anatomy.

You think that the Styrofoam cooler is the greatest invention of all time.

You had to remove a toothpick for wedding pictures.

You've ever used a weed eater indoors.

You have to go outside to get something out of the 'fridge.

Your richest relative invites you over to his new home to help him remove the wheels and skirt.

You've ever financed a tattoo.

Your idea of a 7 course meal is a bucket of KFC and a six-pack.

You go to a Tupperware party for a haircut.

Your Junior/Senior Prom had a Daycare.

AND FOR ALL THE HOPEFULS.....:H

Annoying Things to do During
          A Job Interview

While shaking hands get into a heated thumb wrestling match.

Repeat everything your interviewer says, keep going until he or she yells at you. Then ask if you got the job.

Stick a piece of broccoli between your front teeth, smile a lot.

Sometime during the interview, frown and sniff suspiciously, ask the boss if he or she farted.

Pick your nose and wipe contents underneath the lip of your interviewers desk.

Bring in whoopie cushion, set it off, roll your eyes and look at your interviewer with disgust.

In the beginning of the interview pull out a gun and put it on the interviewer?s desk in front of you, then say, "Mind if I rest this here during the interview?"

Demand that if hired you want desk plate that reads, "Big Kahuna."

As you follow your interviewer to his or her office kick out their heels so that they trip and fall on their face, laugh uncontrollably.

Show up in your jogging outfit, run in place during the entire interview.

Bathroom excuse #1: Excuse yourself to go to the bathroom, as you walk out the door make a loud fart noise with your mouth then sigh and say, "DARN!"

Bathroom excuse #2: Excuse yourself to go to the bathroom, come back with the entire front of your pants wet.

Ask for a company Porsche.

Comment on how much you like your interviewer?s spouse?s picture, then take it and put it in your briefcase.

Some time during the interview slip some chiclets in your mouth, then sneeze as loud as you can launching entire contents in your mouth in his or her face, cover your mouth and say, "I sink I loth by theeth."

As you reach inside your briefcase pull out a sock puppet, introduce him as "Socko" and harass your interviewer with it.

During the interview reach over and grab at your interviewer?s face and say, "Got your nose" while clenching your fist, demand that you get hired or you won?t give back their nose.

Chew tobacco, spit in pencil holder.

Announce that you are committing a hostile take over of the company, fire your interviewer.

At the end of the interview end it with a three stooges eye jab followed by a smack to the forehead finish it off with a, "woo-woo-woo-woooooo....!"
          af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

af Saturday 27 April

Goede morgen allemaal...

Blondie: Spring has sprung but it is still cold. 47 degrees feels like 42... never mind.

Mick: Yesterday I was just wanting to sit in a cafe with a glass of wine. Thought the image seemed 'relaxing.' (Thankfully is was really COLD again!!)
            I imagined the wine tasted pretty good in the beginning and then I couldn't even be bothered to taste it anymore. Then I would walk home, get a bottle of wine at the supermarket and .... fast forward to 6PM and my husband comes home from work and I would be on my way to being drunk. He would be patient, kind and I would be a big fat jerk! Don't want that. He has a new job and is really shuffling to learn the ropes, so I don't need to behave like a spoiled lady Jane of leisure.
            Plus I am recovering from the flu. That wouldn't make much sense?
            So, there you have my profound thoughts of yesterday afternoon. Hahaa! Gotta laugh at myself, somehow it makes things a bit more 'normal.'
            A miss is a good as a mile, right?

Strength to us all!
            March: 23 days AF, April 26 days AF, May _23_ AF days
            May 29: back to day 1
            June: The battle continues......

Comment

af Saturday 27 April

Good morning Abbers!

Chilly, just above freezing here this morning but it will warm up later
              I have lots to do outside today so a little warmth would be nice.

Greetings TT, blondie, SF, LTLW & Mick!

I plan to have a kid free day today......this granny needs a bit of a break :H
              The oldest is near 4 1/2 now & has been developing some anger management issues. Yeah, I told my son & DIL last evening that they need to get to work on that stuff with him ASAP! That is not my job, it's theirs. Been there & done that with two kids

I found MWO at a time when I was just so tired of disappointing myself in my attempts to quit for good. I wanted to know how other people managed to stay quit for the long haul. I think the sense of community & sharing stories were most helpful to me.

OK, going to finish off the coffee & hope it warms up a bit so I canget some outside work done.
              Have a great AF Saturday everyone!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

af Saturday 27 April

stupid drinking thoughts,to me its so odd the times they pop up with no provoking situations,those jokes were hilarious today mick scary how many of the redneck ones fit my hubs yikes! anyways hello to everybody and have a super sober saturday!
                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

af Saturday 27 April

Evening all....very quick fly by tonight.

Thanks for the start TT! Lovely warm day today, the rain has eased but we are truly in autumn ......dang all the leaves!

Hi Winter ...good to see you learning to think it through to the end. Most folk stop at the warm glow of the first drink, forgetting that for us it ends with the sloppy drunk, arguments and poor decisions or blackouts. The warm glow used to last about 30 minutes then it was glut, glut, glut till lights out. When you are drinking wine in a pint glass to save trips to the fridge the fantasy is over.

Hi Mick....love the jokes, I grew up in the pom equivalent of red neck. We only put out the toilet paper when we had guests.....the rest of the time newspaper sufficed! :H
                  My sister married a Romany and lived in a caravan for the first ten years of their marriage, her husband was an amazing man, I miss him dearly.

Hi Pauly......you are sounding solid. Keep it up! And good to see you again today Blondie.

Hi SF.....good to here your sober journey is continuing and you are sounding so much happier.

Evening Lav...... Disciplining kids, even your own grand kids takes consistency and the parents have to be on the same page or the kids learn to play one side against the other.

Comment

af Saturday 27 April

btw has anybody seen running courage? i havent seen him around in a loooong time,or maybe im just missing his posts?
                    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

af Saturday 27 April

MAE ALL...

TT...thanks for kicking us off today. Nope, office not sorted. :upset: Don't think I spent more than 2 minutes in it yesterday. Working on a computer issue in our childcare department talk about triggers!!! Popping in early this morning again so I can be ready to help with the Tennis Hut demolition at noon. Hope your demolition goes smooth and good luck with the week long camping wherever you end up. :H

LTLW..."I have been sick all week and doing stupid things, then going back to bed. I even managed to stab myself while doing the dishes." :H Been there, done that, got the Tshirt. Good Job on "surfing those waves". It's so easy to glamorize AL. Hope your feeling better soon.

SF...yup, walking into AA was one of my first and most humbling experiences. So glad I did it. I am lazy about doing the steps but for now the F2F is working just fine. Good luck with your "Celebrate Recovery" plan, going to have to investigate that one. Also going to have to look up "I am second"...haven't heard of it. Hope you're having a great day.

Blondie...definately will be posting before and after pics. This has been so much work not to brag about it. I'll start with the demolition of the tennis hut later. I'll send my SIL over to go on your riverside walks. When she's around the mosquitoes don't bother with anyone else. :H

Mick
                      ...thanks for the coffee. At least the fasting period is over till op time. Temps actually got up to 20C yesterday. We'll probably just go from winter to summer this year. Love what you've done with the garden, may be asking for advice soon. Busy day for me today, continue with some computer support, visit with my Dad, demolish the tennis hut, continue computer support. Oh well, at least I won't have time to get into trouble. Hopefully can have a relaxing day tomorrow as I won't have to get up with the sparrow fart like you. :H

Lav
                      ...good luck with a kid free day. Let us know if that actually happens. I found MWO when I was at a very low point in my life. Needed to find someone who "understood" and ended up finding a whole new family.

Pauly
                      ...getting any use out of that pool yet? Yup those drinking thoughts come out of left feild sometimes. Didn't realise you were married, you learn something new every day. Have a good one. PS: nope I haven't seen RC lately either.

KY
                      ...hope you're safely tucked in bed and having peaceful dreams. Every time I have a ciggy now I think of you. This is bad as now you've got me thinking about quitting. Stop it.

Well as Mick would say that's me orf out. Don't even have time for a second cuppa but when I do I'll read the rest of the jokes. Have a great AF Saturday all and all to come....PPQP

Comment

af Saturday 27 April

TAA DAA...Tennis shed down, computer up and running and home for some me time....PPQP

Comment

af Saturday 27 April

Did you tear it down yourself PQ? :H :H
                          That sounds like a fun activity!
                          Enjoy your ME time.

I've had a kid free day & it was pretty good, got some stuff done!
                          I made a trip to the garden center to buy replacements for three of my large clay/ceramic type flower pots that pretty much 'exploded' sitting on my deck over the winter. They really should be taken inside before the cold weather arrives but I can't budge the things & no one else was interested (YB). Now I just need a trip to the plant farm

I made a pretty good batch of vegan chocolate banana ice cream this afternoon too - yum!
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

af Saturday 27 April

Pauly - forgot to mention RC is doing a firewalk Sunday to raise funds for a charity.
                            He PM'd some of us looking for donations. I sent him a box of band aids & ice packs :H :H
                            Just kidding
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

af Saturday 27 April

Mae, all.

I'm posting on Saturday as it's still that day here.

Thanks everyone for the insight on AA. I asked because I've come to believe the chemical/supplement awareness & program are key for me to be functional and sober.

I read a book a long time ago (Potatoes, not Prozac) that asserted untreated sugar dependencies lead to relapse in alcoholics. I believed it, and fully embraced the MWO supplement program. I'm still tweaking my depression and now menopause treatment, but take the B-complex, Vit C, Zinc and L-glut each and every day.

Now I spoke to my sister yesterday, the one who has had serious struggles after a five year relapse. She quit Jan. 1. This time, she has been taking L-glut and Kudzu. But after the first few months, she grew lax, bought a cheap brand, took it intermittently, ect. She drank for a few days (which means at least a week) this month. She told me she thinks the supps had helped her, and she should get serious about taking them. I told her I expect to take the L-glut for the rest of my life. It just works for my brain chemistry. And being sisters (and part of a huge alcoholic gene pool) I think it helps her.

I share this because (1) her relapse was short, and she is back on her quit, and (2) supps were key to making this short rather than five long years like last time. Her whole discussion around the relapse was different this time. Finally it's not sheer will, or a higher power, or whatever. She has help. We have help. It's profound to me.

Sorry to not be up to speed with everyone. Glad to see activity on our thread. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

Cat
                              "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Working...
                              X