Clonapin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clonapin

Anyone every taken clonapin for anxiety? It is actually an anticonvulsent drug too, so wondered if it was anything like topa?:new:
    It's a brand new day!

Clonapin

I'm no pharmacist-but I would have to say no in that no 2 prescription drugs are the same. Zoloft is not Paxil is not Wellbutrin-yet they are all antidepressants. Each does it's job differently-but does it's job.
    :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Clonapin

I take klonopin (clonazepam) - I take it for my vocal cord disorder (spasms) - I would not suggest it as it is very very addictive and is soooo hard to come off. Believe me, i've tried and the withdrawal was such a nightmare had to go back on.

It is a benzo, and they are all addictive.

Try something like Seroquel in a small dose for high anxiety - much better.

Cashy
      xx
      "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon

Comment

Clonapin

Wow Cashy, I had no idea!! I have not taken them very frequently and did not know much about the drug. Thank you for telling me. Do you take the topa?
        It's a brand new day!

Comment

Clonapin

NO,

I take gabapentin as a mood stabiliser which also seems to stop me drinking completely. My drinking was very much related to the "highs" of bipolar and I never drank when depressed. Now the mood has been "levelled out a little" I don't feel the need to drink - yaya. I also take prozac 20mg, just to kep things balanced.

Stay away from clonazepam (klonopin) - it's horrible stuff. I mean it feels great but you need more and more and it is really hard to stop - like the drink problem all over again.

Lotsa love

cashy

Cheers
          "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon

Comment

Clonapin

I've been taking Klonopin for years, but just for sleep. I've actually been able to reduce my dose since being on topa, from .75 mg to .50 mg. before bed. I think that it is much more difficult if you are using it as an antianxiety medication. Many of the SSRI antidepressants help with anxiety too, and are probably a better choice.

At any rate, it is not chemically related to topamax; it is a benzodiazepine, like ativan, valium, etc., it is just longer acting. I think it is the best of the benzos, but still a highly addictive drug.

Hope this helps...

Kathy
            AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Clonapin

I have taken it for several years and it has helped me with anxiety from time to time.

Very good medication IMO but can be habit forming.... the one thing I like about it is, it stays in your system for up too 2 days. If you don't take habitually it can be very relaxing and put you at ease In a situation were you may not other wise feel comfortable.

Comment

Clonapin

I do think the anxiety pills can be highly adictive. I posted about Holy Basil as a anxiety relief, what about that? There are numerous natural anxiety methods & supps. to try.
                Abby

Comment

Clonapin

clonapin and Topamax

PeggySue;115576 wrote: Anyone every taken clonapin for anxiety? It is actually an anticonvulsent drug too, so wondered if it was anything like topa?:new:
                  clonazepam (clonapin) is from the family of medications called benzodiazepines. Same family as Xanax, Valium etc. It is NOT an anti-depressive and is habit forming so not a good thing to take for anyone trying to stop drinking.
                  I am a pharmacist
                  RPH
                  Registered Pharmacist
                  Riverpharmacy.com

Comment

Clonapin

Got to agree with cashreg here. In rehab probably 20% were addicted to Klonopin. Clonzepam is the generic form. Klonopin is Xanax, but is long acting with less of a high peak of feeling high. It works, but is a benzo class drug and wicked addictive. People use it sometimes to quit drinking and trade one addiction for another. I keep in my home, but only for ocassional attacks. Just be very very careful and realize it is probably just as adictive as hard street drugs (and it is often sold on the street everywhere)

Cashregister;116056 wrote: I take klonopin (clonazepam) - I take it for my vocal cord disorder (spasms) - I would not suggest it as it is very very addictive and is soooo hard to come off. Believe me, i've tried and the withdrawal was such a nightmare had to go back on.

It is a benzo, and they are all addictive.

Try something like Seroquel in a small dose for high anxiety - much better.

Cashy
                    xx

Comment

Clonapin

Wow!! Thanks to all of you for this info! And RPH, it is nice to have a pharmacist in our group! I am not taking this RX at all!! When I presented the question, I was hoping it would work like Topa, but I finally talked to the Dr. and got the Topamax and am on the regime of the book to "do the program", and am just starting. Thanks again for all the input. Yall are great!
                      It's a brand new day!

Comment

Working...
                      X