Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stopped drinking 8 months ago....withdrawals persist, but....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey there....I stopped drinking 8 months ago and don't really have much of a craving to start again. I drank pretty good for 20 years and stopped cold turkey. I also stopped anti-depressants, coffee, and the herb a month later. When I stopped the booze, I had no knowledge of the withdrawal syndrome that would be with me 8 months later. I was clued into what I was going through after talking with a psyche nurse. Although things have been much better, fall through winter being the worst, I am still going through withdrawals. the good periods are longer than the bad now.
    What I have been doing to get through this:
    In late November I ended up taking a month off work it was so bad and returned in January to work part time....my employers are very supportive. At home, we hired a nanny to watch my 6 year old daughter in the afternoons whaile I focus on exercise...for the most part road cycling is my thing and I log about 150 miles a week. Cycling helps everything! I know that exercise is key to a healthy recovery....the only thing is not being able to spend more time with my daughter after her school day, but I know that a healthy daddy will benefit her down the line. I also take suppliments like B's, C, D, Omega 3, and skullcap. I take a magnesuim/calcium drink at night to calm down and get a good night's rest...so important!

Eating 3 GOOD HEALTHY meals a day on time with 3 healthy snacks in between is very helpful. Also, I came to the conclusion that slowing down to prepare the meals and snacks is good for the whole routine....I seem to appreciate the food more too. Eating lots of organic veggies as well as food rich in protien is key for me. I miss my caff'ed up coffee! Watching sugar intake is also important....it's a toughy!

So, the big part of withdrawals for me has been the mental part. Boy does years of boozing mess with the brain! I got so paranoid and anxiety ridden in the late fall, I thought that was it...off to the mental ward throw away the key! It was then I landed a good therapist, who also has a background in addictions and has worked with junkies and alkies....she's been great. My acupuncturist has also been fantastic.....a very wise and claming man who knows his stuff....has seen it all. I also got hooked up with a psyche nurse practitioner.The PNP has been of great help to me as well! I am also on Campral to help with getting the natural GABA thing going again.

In the end, I have a super supportive wife and daughter, incredible friends, co-workers, and neighbors. For me, feeling supported is such a relief to my system! Just having people to talk to makes a difference. I did try AA...it only depressed me and I believe that I am more powerful than alcohol....not powerless.

I would say that all these things I am doing have helped me to this point. The hardest was putting myself first. I'm told, and in my research have found, that P.A.W.S. can last past a year. The way I see it is, it has been HELL...but, it's getting better....I'm sober.

In closing, I am intersted in reading anyone elses experience with acute withdrawal syndrome and if anything I wrote here helps anyone out....Great! I also know that many people lack insurance for medical services and family-friend support...but if you need help there are ways.

Catbox

Hi Catbox what an inspirational post

.I havent had any withdrawals physically . but have the odd craving in the evenings.i dont know if the withdrawals is directly linkedto quantity drank over the years or what?
    Maybe i have just been lucky SO FAR. I,m only on week 6 AF and like you i try and exercise..reading your post has just pushed me to go get my trainers and do a power walk beefore i go out this evening with friends. I do love the idea of being healthier...at 52 its time i got going really before its too late on healthier living.

good luck and i hope others on hera can offer you support re withdrawals etc.

Regards Cassy

Comment

:new: Wow, I would give anything to be like you two. Cat, you put it perfectly when you said AA did not work because you feel more powerful than alcohol. I realize that is why I did not respond well to it at all. I am not motivated to exercise, so there within lies another problem (besides the 5:00 signal that it is wine time). I am 58 and feel like such a failure. I almost think it is too late to even get my act together, but I am so inspired by yours and Cassy's posts. I can't afford rehab, or counseling. I can't even talk to my dr. about taking topramax. You are very lucky. I hope I can get the courage to cold turkey it some day.
      It's a brand new day!

Comment

Hi all, well done to you two AF'rs, a state I am striving to get to. I don't get withdrawel symptoms apart from wanting more... I also have a trigger time which is 9pm when the cravings overtake my self, yes it is really hard but as you say worth it (or will be). I know I can do it, as others here have. With the support and advice given here along with the humour and realistic posts I know I am not alone on this journey.

Lorna xx
        Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

PeggySue....it's not too late. Really. Exercise is something as easy as taking a walk...take many walks...see the outside. pretty soon you are looking forward to that walk everyday.
          Dive into one of your passions. If your doc won't help you, find one that will.

For me, it came down to being around to see my daughter grow up and being present in my family life. I also have many loves in my life...cycling, art, music, skateboarding...that were starting to suffer due to vodka, beer and wine intake. I'm getting it all back and it started with one choice I made...to stop.

cb

Comment

Catbox- That's wonderful to have not drank for 8 months. I am hoping to be alchohol free forever but I am not quite there. Your problem with still having the "mental" withdrawal symptoms really struck me. At one point I had 3 months alcohol free and although physically I felt fine my brain was not back to normal. Only unfortunately at the time I didn't recognize it as probable lingering withdrawal symptoms that would probably go away eventually. Unfortunately I started drinking again , giving in to the discomfort, and am starting all over again. Specifically I felt very distracted all the time. It was very difficult to focus and concentrate on anything. It's like I couldn't prioritize tasks in my head and just get started and stay focused on anything. Also I felt very flat emotionally, and at times very irritable. Not just irritable to people but to sounds and any stimuli . What kind of symptoms are you having? I've learned alot more about this in the past year and have been amazed at how much I didn't know about how chronic alcohol use damages the brain. It is scary but I do hear over and over that the brain can heal. It just takes time.
            Good luck in your healing process. Aquamarine
            NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF YOUR OWN DETERMINATION
            AF SINCE 3/16/2016

Comment

My mental symptoms center around anxiety, ringing in the ears, short term memory stuff, and coordination. It's all getting better but at a really slow speed. I have read that this could go on for a good year or so. It's also based around stress or being depelted. Right now I have a cold and things are just that much more intense for me.
              Overall it beats where I was this Fall/Winter...thinking I was bonkers for life!

catbox

Comment

Welcome!

Hi Cat - A warm welcome to you - great reading your first post as it sounds like you've really been able to address some major issues, found your way through the mire, and are well set on a new life with no alcohol - Congratutlations! and thanks for sharing some of what has helped you.

Good to keep the reality check, though, that it is a continued struggle and your focus needs to be strong - wanting to be there for the kids is a great motivator, isn't it? So good to have you with us and good luck with your continued journey. Sport's one of my helpers as well, and the whole getting fit after years of abusing my body - it's great to take time for you.

PeggySue - a very big :welcome: too! - you should post your own thread starter about being new and you'll soon see how much support you'll find here! You are not a failure -

Something to think about...

"The past does not equal the future.
                Because you may have failed a moment ago,
                all day today,
                or for the last six months,
                or for the last sixteen years,
                or for the last fifty years of your life
                doesn't mean anything.
                All that matters is
                What are you going to do now?"(Tony Robbins)

It is the future we can make choices for - so it's great to have you here as that's one very important choice made - you'll find people here who are AF without the medication or the councelling, but just from the shear determination of wanting to make this change, to take back control and start a new life - and the amazing support, encouragement and inspiration you find on this site. You're amongst friends so stick with us and we can get through together - it's never too late to take back control of your life!

Warmest wishes and many :l
                :rays: Arial

Last first day - 15th April 2012
                Goals:
                Days 1-7 DONE
                Days 8-14 DONE
                Days 15-21 DONE
                30 days DONE
                60 days
                100 days

Comment

Thanks for the welcome! It's been a tough day, depleted from a cold, not able to ride the bike, and got off my eating schedule.... and that sends the witdrawal syndrome into gear.
                  Using my tools to get back on track...A good night's rest to start with. Hoping tomorrow i better!

CB

Comment

Sorry I didn't get here sooner to welcome you Cat. You are doing such a great job at being AF
                    The mental part of this whole thing, for me, is the absolute worst part. I wish you best of luck and hope that you feel better soon.
                    "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Hey...Just checking in on this PAWS adventure.....One thing I have gained in the past month is a clarity that I have only had glimpses of in the past 8 months. Pretty much everyday, my head is now clear where it use to be foggy and spaced. I am becomming witty and sharp again too.

So now that I have that clarity, what's left is this weird feeling of something I can only describe as an "almost dizzy feeling". Kind of like when you stand up too fast...but my balance is fine. No head aches...Still have the ringing in my ears, some occasional anxiety.

The weird feeling does go away after a 2 hour bike ride? Go figure! PAWS...what an adventure.

catbox

Comment

Catbox you are my hero!

I did not realize that Campral had the impact on Gaba stuff ... I found Capmpral a chore as it has to be administered 3 times a day -- any tips? LaLiz

Comment

I just take it with breakfast, lunch and dinner.
                          As a recovering drinker, it's so important to get those meals in,
                          so I just add the pills.
                          I believe it's helping me out. As far as craving
                          any booze, I have not, even before Campral.

catbox

Comment

super story.... you can do it. i drank for 25 years and quit nine months ago. i started feeling terrible. got sick often, depressed, slept, just not myself. back in december i decided it couldn't be sobriety causing the pain and sought out a dr. found the best liver doctor in the world. seriously. he diagnosed me and i had a transplant Friday the 13th. i'm doing great and also have a great support group in family, church and friends. you can do it!!!! thinking of you.

ab

Comment

WOW, what a story. I'm only at day 26 AF and think I'm going strong ... (he,he).

Seriously though, I can't think that far ahead, as I'm still struggling day to day.

Thanks for showing me it can be done.
                              :racer:

Comment

Working...
                              X