Need some advice w/ the shrink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I am doing well so far. I think a few of you have seen my rants. Except yesterday, I had more to drink than I am comfortable with, but nothing like I used to, and I did stop without a problem. I think it was related to my wicked PMS. I know that sounds silly but I've noticed a day or so before my period always seemed to be my worst drinking days. Anyway, I am at 50 mg and due to go back on thurs to the doc. I thought he was great the first visit, but the second I realized just how much of a language barrier there was and that he did not understand what I had told him about the program. He asked I f I had stopped drinking, I told him the truth and was very proud of myself b/c I had only had a glass of wine on two different days since I had seen him. He did not seem so happy and said it would be nice if I could stay sober until I saw him again. I was like" Hay fool what dio ya call that!!" :H Anyway I am going for mods and very happy with that but want to make sure he puts me all the way up to the 200-300mgs I need. Any advice on waht to do or say? Anyone else have this kind of experience? I don't advocate dishonesty but I don't know if I should be saying yes it's working up the dosage or no it's not, up the dosage. Know what I mean?
    One out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced. Think of your 3 closest friends...If they seem OK then you are the one.

Remember he is getting paid by you or your insurance so if you can not be honest with him what is the point. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PLEASE YOUR SHRINK. You have to be happy with your self. If he is not the right shrink for you switch shrinks. It will be better in the long run.

Sammys

Comment

He is there for YOU, not the other way around.
      Learning to live life on the outside of a bottle. :flower:

Comment

HI,

Are you seeing the shrink just for the drinking - or are there related problems (depression?). Are you on any other medications. The Doc may want you to abstain for a while to give your body a break, or he may be concerned about interactions with other meds - would need more details to comment (been seeing shrinks for many years!).

Cashy
        xxxx
        "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon

Comment

heya
          keep in mind that doctors are very conservative when they give advice.
          it seems extreme that he didn't acknowledge that you have not made such a great progress.
          but if he is being mean, or rude or malicious that is not good and it's time to find someone else
          trix
          You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

I'm only going for the Topamax. My regular doctor had never heard of the off label use and was not comfortable perscribing it for that use. She told me I neede a psychciatrist because it was out of her league and I would be using it for psychological reasons not as an anti-convulsant. My insurance is the worst and it would be difficult to find a new doc. So I am not reall there for therapy, so much as medical supervision with the Topa.
            One out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced. Think of your 3 closest friends...If they seem OK then you are the one.

Comment

Hi,
              I sounds like you're doing really well and he is being an ununderstanding meany. If the topa is working at the dose you're on maybe you won't need to go up so high.
              There is always the risk that if you tell him you've been totaly AF to make him happy then he won't up the dose, maybe telling him you'd slipped up a couple of times and think a higher dose would help would be better. Then you can carry on moderating without telling him.
              All the best
              Suz
              Happy to be sober since 07 Sept 09.

Comment

Did you show him the material here..including the whole program, supps, etc? I think it's important that he knows that you've chosen this program and the topamax for specific reasons. You are doing really great (I totally understand the harmonal effect)..perhaps you can ask him what his expectations are about the topamax. On the other hand, Roberta does recommend the 30 days of abstinence in the beginning..did you do that? Your therapist may be expecting a period of abstinence as well. Traditionally the 'only' treatment for alcoholism has been total abstinence and most in the medical professions would agree...so if your goal is moderation, you'll probably not get a 'gung ho', 'go for it' response..he is reacting pretty typically, I think. My therapist, albeit a little different situation rarely makes any comments about how I'm handling my drinking as we focus on why...

Comment

I haven't showed him the material. I brought it with me to the first appointment ready with all my ammo as to why I neede him to give me the meds. ( my doc wouldn't) But he said he had no problem with it and does it all the time so I had only briefly explained it to him. It was a short visit and he spent most of it telling me to have more sex with my husband. The next time I went back I realized he really didn't understand and there is a pretty big language barrier(well he has a very heavy accent) You are all right it is important to have a good relationship with my therapist not just go for meds. Then maybe,like you dilayne, I can work on why too. Even though it will be a pain in the ...to find another doc b/c of my insurance i guess I should give it a go.
                  Thanks guys.

Comment

I darnt go to my doctor and admit i have a problem, they dont like it when i do have a problem

Comment

I dont like going to the doctors

Comment

We should go to the docotors, it allways depends on how sympathetic our doctors are

Comment

Here's my two cents.....you didn't really need the therapist....you just needed the meds, right? And for whatever (silly ass reason), your doctor didn't feel comfortable prescribing topomax to you, so she sent you to a shrink. And your shrink disapproves when you proudly relate that your drinking has been decreased to a glass of wine. So unless there is something that we're not understanding----such as you are committed to abstaining, not limiting, or that you doctor and you have agreed that it is important that you completely abstain for a certain period of t ime-----then I think you smile, nod your head to whatever doc wants to hear, accept your prescription, get your topomax, and follow the program that you know is best for you. (But then again, what do I know? I'm a recovering alcoholic? LOL!)

Comment

does anyone know a Dr. in Reno NV that prescribes topo?

Comment

Working...
                            X