AF Saturday 4 May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF Saturday 4 May

MAE everyone! How's the busy and emotionally complex world of sobriety? I notice the weather is being discussed a bit less! (except for PPQP – hope you get your sunbeams!!)
    Tea brewed - coffee coming up. Made in my new rouge kitchen. Spent last night starting to put things back in - its great but am finding some functional glitches that I did not pick up in the original design. I am trying not to get obsessive about these little things as I have a pile of serious work to tackle - that requires concentration and a clear mind. Focus, focus, focus!
    LTLW - great to see your work but don't get upset if you have shitty days and don't achieve much. We are not expecting the full gallery filled by next week! YahYah made a good point about how the angst and down days are also part of your creativity. As you will know I bet, so too is just getting into a regular pattern. Thats what i have to do when I write - sit there and make an effort even if its crap. Yesterday - between an elusive electrician and me nagging my daughter about homework - all I achieved on a paper I was working on - was the realisation that I have lost a computer file. Very frustrating and made me grumpy!!:durn: PPQP – does that ring a bell?

I know MWO is not a chatboard about 'days of our lives' but just getting this stuff out does I think help in daily recovery. I bet its all stuff we used to hide in our bottles/glasses/livers.

Lav - I will try your blackbean recipe. I eat lots of lentils and beans and am always trying to get daughter to increase her quota. It takes a bit of effort to source good quality beans/pulses here (some get heat treated or something and don't break down). My dilemma is that I like to eat stuff that is sourced as locally as possible – but that does not rule out my tea and coffee!!!

Sorry you are feeling tetchy and moody Kuya. Sounds like you need a hug or two :h:h - maybe from a real body though??
    Have a great Saturday people - hope all the others I haven't mentioned are breezing through or collapsing from their Friday - looking forward to the weekend. Time now to boil myself an egg (sorry Lav!! but I eat them) and make that coffee. And crank up the heat inside until the sun does its wonderful stuff.

AF Saturday 4 May

Sorry but the upload of todays painting progress failed 3x.
    I will have to figure out why? File size too big I guess. I won't give up on it though...
    March: 23 days AF, April 26 days AF, May _23_ AF days
    May 29: back to day 1
    June: The battle continues......

Comment

AF Saturday 4 May

Actually, I don't think that is the problem... maybe too much traffic? Will try tomorrow. Point is, I did paint today! Hope everyone is fine, it is already almost 10PM and I am tired now!

Comment

AF Saturday 4 May

Just a check in....I am wiped out.

Had to go to semiar today.....that got me up at 5am. 2 hour drive each way. Then I went to a friend's charity event. Tired....so glad it is going to rain all weekend.

I had tons of yoga planned for tomorrow.....but, found it it sold out. So rain and Lifetime is just on the agenda.

In way I am happy it is going to rain.....so happy my yoga is sold out.

So happy to just watch TV this weekend....that feels so unproductive. But.....sometimes doing nothing is all that you need. I plan to do that

Comment

AF Saturday 4 May

SF: u know that sounds like a wonderful week-end to me. I used to enjoy the lifetime channel! anyhow, sounds cozy and have fun!

Lavande: can u pm me that bean burger recipe? means are ready!

coffee anyone?

guys, yesterday was a stressful one for me. i didn't drink, but i WANTED to.
          gosh. discussion about finances, and i knew wine wouldn't make me feel any better, worse actually, but i did want it.

i went to my hair appointment a little hungry, & came home starving. I walked home so I wouldn't pass any bars or restaurants. then the discussion (which i brought up) about paying off my student loan. omg, that is a topic that flips me out in about 30 seconds. it is really good for me to deal with this, but oh so painful. we are going to finish it off and be done with it, which is amazing. very much a fresh start, but still ugh- so much money. it was worth it, don't get me wrong. i did a fantastic grad program for sure. i do feel my dad could be stepping up and doing this, he has the money, i don't, and am not working. i guess that is one of the many reasons it wigs me out. anyhow. plus my first art job salary just covered my living expenses (in a real country it would have gone further, yes), this will take about two weeks, so... if i am edgy that is a big reason why. scary sending all that money out into cyber space and 'hoping for the best!'

anyhow. starting the day a little freaked out i guess. will walk doggies and go to gym.

wishing u all a good week-end!

oh, guess what? it is sunny this morning, whoopie!!

Comment

AF Saturday 4 May

I work with students LTLW - so am very aware of how debt can be overwhelming. Just do what you have to do financially and concentrate on the other 'now' stuff. Its great that you had a fufilling grad course. Imagine if it was otherwise!
            I am going out with a grad student tomorrow for lunch - she graduated with her doctorate today. I am so proud of her! Now its Sat evening and I am going to do some of that concentration work I mentioned earlier and then watch some crap - or read a mindless magazine full of drivel. Daughter doing her art (painting) homework with headphones and DVD on - the living room has been taken over by her.

Hope you walk was lovely and warm LTLW. Snowfalls predicted for some mountain passes here in NZ tomorrow - but thats to be expected.

Mick will be along soon to drink some of the coffee you made!

Comment

AF Saturday 4 May

mornin all...and how are we today?Weather over here is crap...the promised sunshine has turned to rain..oh well rethink plan A.Tea and coffee on the go for all and sundry (including moi)
              Off to the pool this morning then go to go and get a few bits and pieces

Morning Kuya...hows you today? got over yer narky feeling from yesterday? mbh I had one on me last night for some reason, dont know why, think its because couldnt get everything that I wanted to...needs to be done now..dont do tomorrows!!Youll be reet.Yep the world out there can be a crappy place ..but depends what eyes you put in to look at it at that particular time..dont be gettin all insular

Morning Lav..hows you? had a look at that black bean recipe..looks lovely and if I can get the ingredients will have a go .. trouble is trying to find them!!Any plans for the weekend?No doubt the kiddy winks will be involved somewhere just to tire you out!!So heeres an energy givin cawfee for you.Listening to the radio in the car yesterday,and a song came on ,cant remember the name but it went on about the Mason Dixon line..and I thought of you!!
              See what youve done to my brain!out you go mulching..maybe we should change this thread to gardening today!! dont forget the pics!!

Morning Cinders welcome always nice to see you ..how are you?

Morning ppqp..hows you today?early start for you? Tis the weekend now so you can relax..heres a coffee..Now that you have posted those pics of the shed cant demolished theres no excuse..we need pics of the garden and its set up..plus you can get international advice on it for free..how cool is that?Rather than shut the place down to the community while the soil is moved, why not make it an event for the community..get them involved to move it..make it into a fun day altogether..just get all the biggy jobs done on the same day, moving soil, stand, any hammering sawing etc..get some burgers coffee etc on the go for the locals and make it into a day?

Morning YAH aka Mrs Farmer!! sounds like you enjoyed yourself..what a bonus free eggs and also chicken manure for your own garden..its the best you can get as fertilizer so you watch..plant in your garden will grow huge so you need to get some.Planted all my toms into bigger pots yesterday running out of room now!! need to get them outside,between them and courgettes flowering all over the place!!Anyway you get back to work ..lots of mucking out to do

Evening TT ..hows the kitchen?You still glitch hunting?One of my pet hates.. bloody computers and lost files..is there another world where they all disappear to?Got to disagree with you tho re mwo being "a day in our lives"I think it makes it more interesting for people to read,and also I find it very cathartic to talk about the day to day stuff with others and see what they are up to..pretty much bordering on being a nosey git I think!!Be pretty boring I would imagine if however many people just came in and said "hi didnt drink yesterday"..viewing figures would soon plummet!!:H anyway you have a great day n get that file found ,fix the kitchen,do the homework....ah sod it have a cuppa instead!!

Morning ltlw....hows you today? your signature is wrong by the way...should read May 2+ ..not 2?...remember whose month is May?Really impressed with your paintings :goodjob:have a great weekend

SF...and how are you? recovered yet?Do you know you have progressed so much recently?..at the risk of being rude and upsetting you, you really have changed the record!!Your posts in the early days used to reflect so much negativity..but now they are absolutely spot on full of positive.Not once in your post do you mention booze, and yet previously your whole post would be based around al..bad grammar that you ,you! but seriously well done :thumbs::wd:

Right peeps cest moi ..ende, fertig offski ..early start for me tomorrow tis Sunday...so have a great weekend!!!

Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson go on a camping trip, set up their tent, and fall asleep.
              Some hours later, Holmes wakes his faithful friend. "Watson, look up at the sky and tell me what you see."
              Watson replies, "I see millions of stars."
              "What does that tell you?"
              Watson ponders for a minute. "Astronomically speaking, it tells me that there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets. Astrologically, it tells me that Saturn is in Leo. Time-wise, it appears to be approximately a quarter past 3. Theologically, it's evident the Lord is all-powerful and we are small and insignificant. Meteorologically, it seems we will have a beautiful day tomorrow. What does it tell you?"
              Holmes is silent for a moment, then speaks. "Watson, you idiot, someone has stolen our tent."

A traveling salesman's car breaks down in the country, so he decides to call on the closest farmhouse.
              When the farmer opens the door, the salesman says, "Sir, my car died just up the road. Could I stay here for tonight?"
              The farmer says, "Sure, but I have a very handsome son and you'll have to promise not to sleep with him."
              "Excuse me," says the salesman, "but I think I'm in the wrong joke."

The CIA had an opening for an assassin. After all of the background checks, interviews, and tests were done there were three finalists — two men and one woman. For the final test, the CIA agents took one of the men to a large metal door and handed him a gun. "We must know that you will follow your instructions, no matter what the circumstances. Inside this room you will find your wife sitting in a chair. You have to kill her."
              The first man said, "You can't be serious. I could never shoot my wife." The agent replies, "Then you're not the right man for this job."
              The second man was given the same instructions. He took the gun and went into the room. All was quiet for about five minutes. Then the agent came outwith tears in his eyes. "I tried, but I can't kill my wife." The agent replies, "You don't have what it takes. Take your wife and go home."
              Finally, it was the woman's turn. Only she was told to kill her husband. She took the gun and went into the room. Shots were heard, one shot after another. They heard screaming, crashing, banging on the walls. After a few minutes, all was quiet. The door opened slowly and there stood the woman. She wiped the sweat from her brow and said, "You guys didn't tell me the gun was loaded with blanks. I had to beat him to death with the chair!"

In a city park stood two beautiful statues, one female and the other male. These two statues faced each other for many, many years. Early one morning an angel appeared before the statues and said, "Since the two of you have been exemplary statues and have brought enjoyment to many people, I am giving you your greatest wish. I hereby give you the gift of life. You have 30 minutes to do whatever you desire." And with that command, the statues came to life.
              The two statues smiled at each other, ran toward some nearby woods and dove behind a couple of bushes. The angel smiled to himself as he listened to the two statues giggling, bushes rustling and twigs snapping.
              After 15 minutes, the two statues emerged from the bushes, satisfied and smiling. Puzzled, the angel looked at his watch and asked the statues, "You still have 15 minutes. Would you like to continue?"
              The male statue looked at the female and asked, "Do you want to do it again?"
              Smiling, the female statue said, "Sure. But this time you hold down the pigeon and I'll crap on its head!"

A Texan buys a round of drinks for the entire bar, announcing that his wife has just produced "a typical Texas" baby boy weighing 25 pounds. Congratulations showered him from all around, along with many exclamations of "Wow!"
              Two weeks later, the Texan returns to the bar. The bartender says, "Say, you're the father of the typical Texas baby that weighed 25 pounds at birth. How much does he weigh now?"
              The proud father answers, "17 pounds."
              The bartender, puzzled and concerned, asks, "Why? What happened? He already weighed 25 pounds at birth."
              The Texas father takes a slow swig from his longneck beer, wipes his lips on his shirt sleeve, leans into the bartender and proudly says, "Had him circumcised."

An elderly Florida couple, Sam and Bessie, are vacationing in Las Vegas. Sam always wanted a pair of authentic cowboy boots. Seeing some on sale one day, Sam buys them, and wears them back to the hotel, walking proudly.
              He walks into their room and says to his wife, "Notice anything different about me?"
              Bessie looks him over, "Nope."
              Sam says excitedly, "Come on, Bessie, take a good look. Notice anything different about me?"
              Bessie looks again, "Nope."
              Frustrated, Sam storms off into the bathroom, undresses, and walks back into the room completely naked except for his boots. Again he asks, a little louder this time, "Notice anything different now?" Bessie looks up and says, "Sam, what's different? It's hanging down today, it was hanging down yesterday, it'll be hanging down again tomorrow."
              Furious, Sam yells, "And do you know why it's hanging down, Bessie? It's hanging down because it's looking at my new boots!"
              To which Bessie replies, "Shoulda bought a hat, Sam. Shoulda bought a hat."

A cowboy and his new bride check into a motel. The cowboy explains to the desk clerk that they were just married that morning.
              "Would you like the bridal?" the clerk asks them.
              "No thanks," the cowboy answers. "I'll just hold her by the ears until she gets the hang of it."

A teacher instructs her fifth-grade class to ask their parents to tell them a story with a moral at the end.
              The next day the kids come in and share their stories. "My daddy told me about my uncle Dave," says one boy. "He was a pilot in Vietnam and had to bail out over enemy territory with nothing but a flask of whiskey, a pistol, and a knife. He drank the whiskey during the drop, then landed in the middle of 20 Charlies. He shot 15, stabbed three, and killed the last two with his bare hands."
              "What is the moral of this horrible story?" yelps the mortified teacher.
              "Stay away from Uncle Dave when he's drinking."

A man and his ever-nagging wife went on vacation to Jerusalem. While they were there, the wife passed away.
              The undertaker told the husband, "You can have her shipped home for $5,000, or you can bury her here, in the Holy Land, for $150."
              The man thought about it and told him he would just have her shipped home.
              The undertaker asked, "Why would you spend $5,000 to ship your wife home, when it would be wonderful to be buried here and you would spend only $150?"
              The man replied, "Long ago a man died here, was buried here, and three days later he rose from the dead." Shaking his head, he continued, "I just can't take that chance."

A man and his wife are in the shower together when the doorbell rings. The wife puts on a robe and goes down to answer the door.
              In walks her husband's friend Ben. The woman tells him her husband's in the shower and asks if he can come back later. Instead, Ben steps in and quietly says, "I have $400 in my pocket. I'll give it to you if you'll open your bathrobe for me."
              She's offended, but really needs the money so she agrees, opens her robe, and lets Ben have a quick peek before doing it up again. Ben gives her the $400, and she opens the door for him to leave, but he says, "I have another $400 in my other pocket. I'll give it to you if you let me touch your breasts."
              Now she's really mortified, but again, she needs the money, so she undoes her robe and lets him have a quick feel. Taking the other $400 from him, she lets him out the door.
              Going back upstairs, she gets back in the shower with her husband, feeling a little bit guilty.
              "Who was that?" the husband asks.
              "Oh, that was just Ben," the wife answers.
              "Ben?" the husband says. "That jerk owes me 800 bucks!"

A man joins a Tibetan temple. He takes a vow of silence but is allowed to say two words every year.
              After an arduous 12 months of eating rice, sleeping on a wooden bed with a raggedy blanket, and working 14-hour days in the field, the man goes to the head monk and says, "More blankets."
              Another year passes, and he visits the head monk and says, "More food."
              The man goes through one more year eating good meals and sleeping well, but he's drained by the long work days. He calls on the head monk and uses his two words to say, "I'm leaving."
              "Good," the head monk replies. "You've done nothing but whine since you got here."

A man was invited to a friend's home for dinner, where he noticed that his buddy preceded every request to his wife with endearing terms, calling her honey, darling, sweetheart, pumpkin, etc. He was impressed at this, since the couple had been married over 50 years.
              While the wife was in the kitchen, he said, "I think it's wonderful that after all the years, you still call your wife those pet names."
              His buddy shrugged, lowered his voice and said, "To tell you the truth, I forgot her name about 10 years ago."

A guy walks into a bar, sits down, and orders a drink. He notices a monkey in a cage behind the bar and asks about it.
              "You don't want to know," answers the bartender.
              A few beers later, the guy says, "Come on, I gotta know what the deal is with the monkey."
              "OK, I'll show you," says the bartender. He then takes the animal out of the cage and whacks it on the head with a bat. The monkey pulls down the bartender's pants and starts giving him a blow job. He looks at the guy and says, "You want to try it?"
              "Hell, yeah," says the guy. "But don't hit me that hard."

A guy walked into a pub and immediately noticed a young lady at the bar on her own. After a couple of drinks, he decided to offer her a drink and make small talk.
              "What's your name?" he asked.
              "Carmen," she replied.
              "That's a nice name," he said. "Did your mother or father name you that?"
              "Neither," she said. "I changed my name when I was 18 from Sharon to Carmen."
              "Why did you do that?" he asked.
              "Well," she explained, "I like men and I like cars, so that is how I got my name. What's your name?"
              "Beertits," the man replied.
              af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

AF Saturday 4 May

Good morning,

Loved the "beertits" and "Uncle Dave" jokes. Great way to start a day. Thanks, Mick.

I like reading what others are doing, too. Not only do I learn about different things I would never come into contact in my little world, it helps to see others have the same issues with this sobriety lifestyle that I do.

Because of taking Antabuse, I cannot drink, but that doesn't mean the thoughts don't pop in quite regularly. Dealing with life's issues sober takes some getting used to.

I want to get a few chickens, myself. Hubby is resistant. We eat a lot of eggs in my house. I am quite sure my children would love to have access to fresh eggs, themselves. Any tips to ensure the chickens don't get salmonella? I would not want to use antibiotics in their feed but would also like to make sure the eggs are safe.

Lots of gardening required here, too. Luckily it is raining this weekend so I can put it off another couple of days. :H:H

Actually, gardening and bird watching are two of my favorite pastimes.

Mom's home has a Cinco De Mayo celebration Sunday. I RSVP'd. They want to show off new renovations to families. Hubby grumbled about going but I know he will because mom always recognizes the two of us, unlike other family members. It will make her day. Even if she doesn't remember us visiting afterwards. Dementia is so cruel.

Hope all experience some joy today.

Love,
                Cindi
                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

AF Saturday 4 May

Good Saturday morning Abbers

Feeling my age this morning all because I spent several hours pullings weeds last evening in preparation for my mulch delivery Lots of coffee needed!!!

Greetings TT!
                  I don't envy you on the kitchen remodel.....been there & done it several times over the years. Once it's all said & done though you'll be grateful

LTLW, here's the link for the black bean burgers again:
                  Black Bean Burgers | Annie's Eats
                  Cooking your own beans saves a lot of $$ & a lot of unecessary sodium.

Mick, my weekend will be spent pulling weeds in preparation for the mulch delivery Tuesday. Then I'll be spending several days putting the mulch where it needs to be. I'll have to remember to get a picture of the mulch mountain on my driveway
                  I don't know when/if my veggie garden will be tilled - the tiller is still sitting with a chewed up gas line (damn mice). I hope your weather clears up so you can get some gardening time this weekend. had no health probelms with

Cindi, I have had no health problems with my chickens. I think if you get your chicks from a reputable hatchery, feed them a decent commercial food & provide plenty of fresh water, etc. you'll have no problems. Here's a great book to get you started: Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens: Care / Feeding / Facilities: Gail Damerow: 9781580173254: Amazon.com: Books

OK, better get going. Wishing everyone a great AF Saturday!
                  Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

AF Saturday 4 May

MAE Abbers .....

.TT I so envy your new kitchen, I would love to do mine :upset:
                    I know what you mean about needing a hug......have had the most intense sex dreams this last couple of weeks ...... TMI I know but the dreams are in conflict with my conscious wants....I really feel afraid of having a romantic relationship......but my subconscious begs to differ :H:H

So yeah Mick, still bloody tetchy, but I am riding it out and trusting it leads somewhere good. Decided against the party tonight......again doing what I want and not feeling sociable. This small bug all week has drained me, my daughter now has a sore throat so we both need a quiet Sunday as she is back to school Monday and early starts.

Autumn has turned wet and stormy but still very mild .....there you are TT, weather report

Comment

AF Saturday 4 May

MAE ALL...

TT...thanks for the kickoff and the coffee. Man it tastes good this morning, something's different. Oh yeah it must be the new red zone. You wouldn't believe how much less stress I have now that I'm not responsible for anything "C" related at work.

SF...sometimes doing nothing is EXACTLY what we need. I love the rain, as long as I don't have to go anywhere! Your day sounds perfect to me, enjoy.

LTLW...I am just the opposite of you. Don't get me wrong, I drank over money issues. Yesterday was perfect, in to work early, deadlines met, garden logistics sorted, and on the way home I actually drove into the parking lot of the liquor store. Sat in my car and thought what would Mick say to me? Why do you want that drink? So decided to answer him first...I deserve it, then it was it's my reward, then it was I think I can handle it, then it was are you nuts! So drove to the grocery store and had the first BBQ of the season.
                      I think the emotions come through in our postings and the edgyness would worry me, so knowing what's going on in your life at the moment helps clarify that emotion. Look you already found something positive, the sun is out

Mick...yup tis the weekend and I am not doing anything work related. :yay: Going to be hot and sunny and I'm going to drink it all in. As oppossed to the other kind of drink so thanks for the help yesterday!! Only need access through the parking lot to the garden site so won't take long to drive those trucks in and dump. We calculated it would take 6 hours to haul 20 wheelbarrow trips per raised bed, and we will have 30 of them! One of the residents graciously offered to cover the cost of a bobcat, so we feel we can get it done in 1 day as oppossed to 2. Lot's of safety concerns as we'll be sawing, drilling, building and dirt hauling all at once. Hope the weather clears enough for you to get out and get some of those "don't do tomorrows" done. Enjoy your weekend even if you're early out tomorrow.

Cinders
                      ...couldn't agree more. It helps me too when I see others have the same issues as me and they don't have to drink over them. It also makes me feel I'm not alone in this, like I was in my drinking days. I am dealing with dementia with my Dad too and it can be hard on us can't it. If he's not in my world when I'm visiting, I just go into his world. We have a grand time whatever time zone we're in. Have a great weekend.

Lav
                      ...several days :wow: You'll be lucky if you're done before the snow flys again. Have you got any help? We'll have to have a "pic" off...see who's pile is the biggest.

KY
                      ...oooooh sex dreams. Do tell, all this gardening talk is getting boring. :H Did you know there is a great Dream thread on MWO? I have found it very interesting. Here's the link if you care to have a gander. https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...ght-73596.html All kidding aside I hope you're feeling better soon. Sending you some "PPP"s
                      but I'm out of smilies so they're coming via snail mail.

Off to get ready for my Dad visit...have a Great AF Saturday all and all to come....PPQP

Comment

AF Saturday 4 May

hidy ho cats and kitties! garlic-breath is alive and well and back from yet another week on the road (gasp).

will try to catch up this weekend with all you loves.

quick note on cooking beans: if you add salt don't do so til the very end, otherwise it keeps them from softening up and takes forever. I like to add salt but I don't have sodium-induced BP issues.
                        and to reduce the lectin content in legumes, soak them in water for 24 hours. it helps!

off to seize the carpe. diem the day? something like that

be well
                        nosce te ipsum
                        (Know Thyself)

Comment

AF Saturday 4 May

PQ ~ I can only hope that I'll get all the mulching done before the next snowfall :H
                          I have enlisted the promise of some help from YB - afterall......

Hi Det - was wondering where yuo were?
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                          X