Shocked into action!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shocked into action!

Hi there, I'm now on day 6 A/F and back on this site after 5 years away.

On Saturday night I was at a friends house and had a great deal of wine- I possibly had sex with this 'friend' but I can't remember. I recall leaving the house and then woke up in hospital with a head injury and a drip in my arm. Someone had found me on the street and called an ambulance. It could have been so much worse!

I thought i had regulated my drinking by abstaining during the week, but this just had the effect of drinking to blackout every month or so. I am shy and use alcohol to make myself more sociable. My 16 year old son once had to part-carry me home after one party.

I have just turned 50 and want to change. I'm single and don't want to date until i have learnt to like myself. My last few relationships have been with people who I don't really like but don't condemn my drinking.

Shocked into action!

oh wow, sorry to hear about this.
    I think staying AF is really your only choice. If you can make it all week, and then sometimes all month, you probably can make it AF. It sounds like you just have to admit to yourself 'this is it.'

You can do it!! I know how hard it is, believe me. I am working on it myself.
    March: 23 days AF, April 26 days AF, May _23_ AF days
    May 29: back to day 1
    June: The battle continues......

Comment

Shocked into action!

Hello, we are similar in age and I've been around this site for four years. it's taken me til now to get serious about my commitment to stop the craziness. So glad to have you on board. Your life will slowly but surely improve every day you don't drink. After a few weeks, i feel I am starting to really reap the benefits like getting up earlier than everyone else, getting the coffee ready before I go to bed; accomplishing some projects that have been on my To-Do list forever, etc.

Even though you've been around a while, the Newbie's Nest might be a good place to visit as it's busy and there is so much encouragement there.

Good luck and keep it up.. you should be so proud just to have recognized, admitted and started working on your problem with booze.
      Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
      ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Shocked into action!

Ms CDJ: 4 years ago, I was taken to the hosp w/an overdose of alcohol. It was a humiliating & scary experience. I realized that I could not stop drinking on my own...even though I had tried over & over to do so. I joined AA at that time & stayed sober for 3 years. Unfortunately, I drank again last summer but have now been sober again for over 7 months. I am committed to the sober life. I too used alcohol to counteract shyness but have found that I can have fun wo/it. Keep coming here & sharing. Look in on the AA thread. You don't have to be a member to share there. AA is not for everyone. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Mary
        Wisdom, Courage, Strength
        October 3, 2012

Comment

Shocked into action!

hi miss CDJ......erm reckon you strategy didnt do you much good..firstly you need to decide what you want to do ,how you are going to put it in place, and how you will cope with when it gets a bit tough going....youll find plenty of support on here..so dont be afraid to ask!Is that Manchester uk you are in?.
          af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Shocked into action!

Oh my goodness, I'm so glad that someone found you and called the ambulance. I hope you're fully recovered now. I agree that drinking is just not worth and it when things like this happens it really makes you think. X
            AF since Halloween 2016

Trying to kill my Wine Witch! :smileyb:

Comment

Working...
            X