Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mindful May-Week 2

Good Morning Mindful Friends,

I woke up at 4:10 a.m., all full of AF energy! I've been reading, but I have not taken time to post, as my consulting business continues to grow without me working at it.:H Another new client landed in my lap last Friday and I must meet with him with morning.

Lav-I hope Diz's passing is getting easier for you.:l

Pap-great to hear you are planning a vacation.

Star-I did try my first yoga class but I'm not quite sure it's for me. I'll keep working at it, though.

Dill-Can't wait to hear about your son's new job and how the first few days went for him.

Cyn-I was delighted to hear your stepdaughter sent you flowers. You have earned them.:h

LBH-I miss your words and presence here. I think I might track you down later this afternoon.

TDN-Thanks for checking in and saying "hi." I miss you here. I will track you down later, too. :-)
    To everyone else I missed, have a splendid AF Monday!

Mindful May-Week 2

thanks for starting us off Rusty on Week 2! I am loving how your business is just growing and growing almost effortlessly (we know that isn't true-you work like a dog!!). Its almost as if you and your career have meshed as one-symbiotic almost! Nice.

Cyn-glad to see you posting again. Keep telling us of your gardening adventures in your new home! I miss it.

Lav, Dill, Star and everyone else on here who is a human mom or fur mom-I hope you had a fabulous day yesterday! It turned out to be lovely weather wise after a damp/rainy start.

My landscaping adventure is kicking up into high gear. The young girl who did the estimate last week and FINALLY got it to me Saturday came in outrageously high. I won't be using her. My nephew is coming over today to give the yard it's first haircut and is planning on working it so that he is here when I get home. I need to show him the other projects. I have contacted Mr. Tran, who I've used before. He will just be doing the 2 overgrown beds, not sure about mulching. Might have my neph do that on Friday if I can get a couple of yards dumped in the drive. Mr. Tran has a crew that is very fast and efficient but I'm not sure I trust them to do any of the pruning so I will be tackling that myself on Mem. Day weekend.
    Busy week ahead with graduation. Must hop in the shower!!
    :l
    New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Mindful May-Week 2

Good morning to all on this Monday...

Rusty, so pleased to hear that your business is growing, you are surely putting in the effort, doing a needed service with professionalism, so getting referrals. Great news. I know what you mean about feeling so good AF that much sleep is not needed!!! It is such a great way to live, especiallly in comparison to waking up feeling so anxious and ill. I too miss LBH, Chill, and all who have left our thread.

Pap, we did no yard work as it was so cold this weekend. Frost last night, so glad I did not plant any annuals. You will get things done, so nice for your nephew to be involved. Do you have a big yard? It is a lot of work, even just keeping up with the weekly mowing. I remember when we had dogs, the after winter cleanup was intense. Dogs are so loving, being a fur-mom is rewarding.

Lav, hope your Mother's Day was nice. A graduation party next weekend sounds fun.

Cyn, how sweet of your stepdaughter to send you a gift. Wonderful spring, even with the cold, the flowering trees are just heavenly to look at and the scent they give is amazing.

Dill, only a few weeks left, Memorial day is right around the corner.

I am outraged about my Dad being sent home the day of surgery. He is not getting the care he needs, my brother, who was there for a few days, said he did the best he could, but had to leave and now, the old folks are on there own. They have a support system, and a visiting nurse, who apparently was not enough. Why won't they keep people in hospital until they can better manage? I also have a friend who had surgery, sent home that same day. We are talking major surgery, a total hysterectomy. She now has an infection, and was terrified in the beginning, with lots of pain. No one likes the hospital (I think) but please let them stay at least three days to recover and get the care they need.

I am looking forward to a conference next week on mindfulness, a road trip and just getting away. My anniversary trip was not so good, so I am really hopeful that this trip will be relaxing, informative, and refreshing.

Busy week, focusing on eating healthy, exercise, doing good work, and loving and appreciating all I have. Including all of you. Hello to all, have a great week.
      Formerly known as redhibiscus

Comment

Mindful May-Week 2

Good morning Mindful Ones

Yesterday was a total zoo here, I kid you not :H
        The three grandkids wound up worse than I've ever seen them. They were crazy, loud & totally onnoxious :H
        Just picture two 2 year olds having non-stop tantrums & a 4 yr old trying to make enough noise so he could be heard over them........yeah, that was fun.

Rusty, when it rains huh? Good for you! The universe has been smiling on you & for good reason!

Papmom, I hope you can get your yard sorted out without breaking the bank. The grass has been cut here repeatedly by YB so I'm not complaining. He's not complaining either because he knows he's the one who wanted to buy this large lot

Star, same day surgery is the norm these days. Insurance companies have been pushing it for decades to save $$. Hospitals are pushing it to help prevent postop infections. I know it's rough on the patient & care giver but in the end, it's probably the best thing for the patient.
        Tell your parents to report any signs of infection asap (fever, redness, drainage at the incision site). If thepain medication is not holding him then that should be reported as well. Wh have to be our own advocates these days. I hope your Dad does better today!

I would just love to get away myself for a few days but I know that's not going to happen anytime soon. I have gotten into the habit of redirecting my thoughts so I don't dwell on that stuff & get into feeling sorry for myself (that's dangerous territory for me).
        My life seems to be one of work, work & more work in one form or another - oh well.

I hope everyone has a great AF Monday!
        Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Mindful May-Week 2

Good morning to all...

Lav, sounds like a wild Mother's Day!! Seriously, how fun. I always like the rowdy little boys for a time, as long as parents take them home at the end of the day. I understand that the hospitals are dangerous places, but to expect old people to do medical things...ridiculous. He is defintely better now, several days after surgery. Being ill is just a nightmare, physically, emotionally, and financially. Getting old is not for sissies.

Warming up today, looking forward to some eighties.

I am lucky that I can take off, all work and no break, and I get burnt out. I never used to do this type of thing, but now in my fifties, I just do it, go. I want to learn new things, experience different ways to live. Vegetarian, meditation, peace, healthy living. It is something I long for and if not now, when?

Being AF promotes awareness (at least for me) of the beauty and wonder of the natural world, how wonderful it is to feel healthy and whole, and the spiritual growth that is a result. Anyone else notice this?

I read an article that said that people who were at the end of their lives regretted the things they did not do, try, and opportunities missed. I was thinking that all the stuff I have accumulated in my home, will, in 50 years, be gone. All of it. No one will want it. I was walking by a shop filled with used and old stuff, and though that maybe my things will end up in a place like that. It was not sad, it was more like a thought pattern of what is important, what will last.

To all, have a great day.

Comment

Mindful May-Week 2

Stargazerlily;1505390 wrote:

Being AF promotes awareness (at least for me) of the beauty and wonder of the natural world, how wonderful it is to feel healthy and whole, and the spiritual growth that is a result. Anyone else notice this?

I read an article that said that people who were at the end of their lives regretted the things they did not do, try, and opportunities missed.
            Nice words Star. I hope your dad is comfortable and doing okay.

Hiya Lav! Hi MaySTAR's!

Last week I allowed some hassles with work management style throw me. Never again. I know I must keep my emotional equilibrium stable in early sobriety. Back into life.

Wishing everyone a safe, sober and magical week.

G bloke. :h

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Mindful May-Week 2

Good morning May friends

Brr....just a few degrees above freezing this morning - what happened to Spring?

Star, glad to hear your Dad is doing OK!
              I absolutely agree - getting old is NOT for sissies
              We absolutely do have to be more involved in our own healthcare, be our own advocates.
              I hope you enjoy your seminar, sounds great!
              I find I am less & less attached to 'things' around the house. I encourage my kids to take what they want now ~ I don't really need any of it anyway!

G, great to see you as always
              Sorry you ran into difficulty last week. If we could just go hide under a rock or something all this would be a lot easier. I still have to mentally hit the IGNORE button when it comes to dealing with certain people in my life. Anything to protect myself & my quits is OK with me! Hang in there!!!

I have a lot of work waiting for me this morning & will be watching my grandsons this afternoon. Not much time left over to get into trouble!

Have a great AF Tuesday everyone!
              Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Mindful May-Week 2

BOY OH BOY!
                Where is everyone this week?
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Mindful May-Week 2

Hi Maystars!! I like that G-bloke!!

Got some disturbing news yesterday which I'd like to share. You all know how much I love my nephews and niece (sis's kids) and how proud I am of the young men and woman they have become. Well, apparently my 2nd nephew has decided it is time to become a full fledged adult and skip the young part. Unfortunately what he has done is nothing short of selfish and very immature. He has been involved with what I swear is a thinly veiled pyramid scheme for about a year now. Because we can't prove anything, his parents have not tried to interfere and they have not given him any money for it as far as I know. Well, this 19 yo child has decided that college is not for him and his calling is to immerse himself totally in his "business". It was bad enough he withdrew himself from next fall's classes at BU without checking with his parents first, but he deliberately failed all his spring classes as well. To add insult to injury, he turned down a very prestigious paid summer internship at a major company where my sis just happens to be a middle manager (this was not factored into the job offer from what she says-he had to get this on his own merits), because it would interfere with his business. My sis and her hubby are devastated and very hurt. It didn't help that this all went down late last week just before Mother's Day, and just before my sis had to prepare for a week long business trip to CA that just happened to start on her daughter's 16th birthday (yesterday). I am so furious with him I can barely contain myself. Luckily I haven't talked to him yet and hope I won't for a few more days. I am also hurt because my sister told my dad what happened but didn't tell me. I found out from my oldest nephew who just assumed I knew. I guess at 19 you know everything. I probably did but I also know what it's like to crash and burn and I know this is what is instore for him. Ugh.
                  G-you know AL is just a crutch and doesn't solve anything. Please stop listening to its siren. You're better than it and we want you around for a long long time!

Lav-it's cold here too!! But great working weather. My neph got so much done today on my yard. I have another estimate coming in on Friday which I think will be much lower than the one from the Nursery. Once that part is taken care of I will be able to handle what is left over. Yea!!

Star-I love the place you are in lately!! I too hope your dad is resting comfortably and improving every day.

Busy rest of the week so I'll log off now.
                  New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Mindful May-Week 2

Good morning to all...

Hey, Gman, sometimes work dynamics can become overwhelming. That is a good time to regroup, distance yourself if possible, and start fresh. Sometimes the hardest part about work is getting along with managers and fellow employees. Whew. AF we are better able to analyze and make good choices. Proud of you sticking to your AF committment.

Lav, I too wonder about the days on this thread with little input, but figure, our contributions have to be good!!! I was talking to a 55 year old guy last week and his thoughts on aging were this: diet and exercise makes all the difference. A few years ago he was 25-30 pounds overweight, high blood pressure and they wanted to put in a stent and start him on statin drugs. He said NO WAY. He started to exercise daily, changed his diet up totally (whole foods, brown rice, salmon) and in three months totally turned things around. Two years later he continues those habits and has tons of energy and looks and feels younger than his years. So, that is part of the reason I always mention an interest in vegan/vegetarian recipes and yoga, Curves, etc. I realize drinking, for me, you and everyone on this thread, will cause us to ache and age at a fast rate. Not for me.

Pap, your nephew sounds like he is making poor choices, but they are his choices. It really was bad that he flunked out cause now his GPA is in the toliet, but he has not ruined his life. Yet. Your are right, he probably does think he knows everything, just ask him . Both of my kids had to do some stupid stuff, but it is a learning process, a part of growing up. Sorry your family has to put up with it, and sorry your sister did not tell you. I know you are an important and influential person in their lives.

I was really busy at work yesterday, left last night with a headache, but feel better this morning after my delicious coffee. Starbucks all the way this morning. To all, have a great day.

Comment

Mindful May-Week 2

Good morning Maystars!

Thanks for the nickname, GMan, and hey - lots of hands here held out to you for support always. Thanks for posting. I agree, the tricky time is early in starting over - but keep your eyes on the prize.

Sorry not to be here since Sunday - I get wrapped up in projects and the daily drama here (still learning to have mr tree around full time!) and the whole day from 5:30 am to 10:30 pm runs and runs. That's where being mindful comes in for me, and SETTING BOUNDARIES. Gosh...have I said that before?

Star, I agree with PMom, you are an a Sage place - I love hearing your thoughts on life with health, meditation, and balance in the fore-front. Lav - is there no way for you to do something like Star; go to a quilting conference or a meditation retreat? I feel like a big part of you needs 'Mi' time. PMom - sorry to hear about your nephew; maybe your sis didn't say anything because she knew how upset you'd be, since you've given so much of yourself. Great plans for your yard!

A funny thing happened just as I was logging on this morning. I (finally) got Outlook set up on my laptop (that only took 2 years for me to get around to it). Apparently it lets you know what new mail has come in, and so all these messages were floating up on the bottom right of my screen. One said 'your new meditation course is ready to download at Chopra'. Now, even though I talked about it here, I didn't register for a course. So, it must have been in some previous year, and they haven't lost hope that I'll someday come around. Kinda touching! Gives me hope that my behavior can actually change!

Dill - hang in there for these last weeks of school - thinking of you. Rusty - I agree with Lav, the Universe is smiling on you, since you have been true to yourself and invested - You go girl Nice to see that you are still getting up at Rusty o'clock!

Yep, I miss everybody who is no longer here: LBH, Chill, I wonder about Sped, SD, remember Dew, would love to see a pic by Kas and know how here corner of Canada is...lots of folks. However, I remind myself that their journeys and stories are still with me, and I feel enriched. But thanks to those who are hanging in here now! Happy AF day to all!
                      to the light

Comment

Mindful May-Week 2

Good morning friends although I don't see a drop of sun!
                        Big thunder storms, winds, hail on the way this afternoon ~ swell

Papmom, distance yourself a bit, if you can from the doings of your nephew. Even as a parent you just have to step back & observe when kids get to that age! They are grown & they have been given all the tools they need to survive. I know it's hard to watch, believe me I know but that's what we have to do. Lots & lots of famous & rich people have dropped out of college - you never know
                        Glad you are closer to getting your yard sorted. I'm still staring at a huge mulch pile but it's been too damp out to mess around with it, honestly.

Star, I really, really believe in food & lifestyle rather than medicine & surgery. Yes, it involves some commitment & a big shift in habits & thinking but I'm worth it
                        Glad that guy had such good results! I only wish some people I know would jump on the bandwagon. YB is fatter & unhealthier than ever, hate seeing him torture himself with food & virtually no exercise but that's what he's doing. My brother is in a nursing home now at the age of 67 & he's getting worse by the day. Poor lifestyle habits coupled with our shitty genetics have shortened his life without doubt.

Cyn, being busy & involved with stuff is a good thing
                        I see pics by Kas on Facebook everyday - nice as ever!

I am having a busy week with work, babysitting duties, etc but I'm grateful to be doing it all with a clear head & realatively good health! I'm off to Curves now & may even try to squeeze in a hair cut today - yay!

Have a great AF Wednesday everyone!
                        Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Mindful May-Week 2

Good Afternoon, MaySTARs,

Thank you everyone for the kind words about my business. I just emailed the quote to my perspective client. If he approves it....it will be the most lucrative project in my career as an independent consultant. Fingers crossed, and toes, too.

Mr.G-thank you for giving us a name to smile about. Great to see you are not giving up on your goal to be AF.

Pap-I second Lav's thoughts on distancing yourself emotionally from your nephew's decisions. They do not affect you...and while you feel he made a poor choice, only he can do anything about it. Also, please don't feel hurt that your sis didn't tell you...she was probably so upset and embarrassed she didn't want to tell you RIGHT AWAY. Understandable. Things like that happen in our family all the time. I always used to feel hurt (and left out, neglected...which would then lead to a pity party w/scotch) when I was the LAST one in our family to hear about any really good or really bad news. Now I know it had nothing at all to do with me. My two cents. Off soapbox now.:H Good job on tackling the yard duties.

Lav-how's the new 'do? Feeling all sassy after your haircut? I know I do.:H. Happy mulching.

Star-[quote]I realize drinking, for me, you and everyone on this thread, will cause us to ache and age at a fast rate. Not for me. Me, either, Star.
                          Yes, again....I can feel spiritual, and I do. When my drinking was at its worst....I thought I was immune to AL's depressant characteristics, but I wasn't, and I wasted SO much time....just sitting, and THINKING unproductive, destructive thoughts. And I thought that AL was a great cathartic for me to vent my feelings....imagined feelings, alone in isolation. I was thinking yesterday how there is NO way I could be successful in my business if I were still drinking. The last time I drank was a long time ago, and even though it was not excessive....those 3 glasses of wine just drained me of all my energy, and I accomplished absolutely nothing afterward. As my business grows, so does the amount of time it takes me to accomplish things, and AL will only rob me of my time....so, no thanks, AL...I have no time for you, unless of course, I could send you a bill for my time.:H

Cyn- I chuckled when you mentioned Mr. Tree's retirement. Does he have any hobbies?

Well, my work break is over and it's time to meet with my client.

Hope everyone is enjoying a fabulous AF Maystar Hump Day! I am.

Rusty
                          AF4ME4EVR

Comment

Mindful May-Week 2

Good morning to all...

Rusty, we are in total agreement about being able to be our best AF...I too would not be doing so well in my work if I was on the roller coaster. I loved your description of wasting time thinking destructive thoughts, that I think every person does when drinking too much. It is lovely to feel your enthusiasm for life, so great to "know" you!!!

Lav, it is frustrating when family members don't give a darn about their health, and the health system just gives them more and more meds, cuts on them, etc. I know a guy who is on intense pain meds, smokes heavily, overweight, sedentary and refuses to do anything differently. Just complains he is in pain and wants more pain meds. Frustrating. However, we do have freewill and can chose how to live. So let's chose to live healthfully, right?

Cyn, I am trying to be a better person, live right, make good choices. For so long I just took for granted the body and good health I was given. Maybe that is why getting older is a gift, it makes you reflect, take stock and make changes. I love my husband but if andwhen we retire, I could not be home 24/7 or it would get ugly. I hope to work at least part time till I can't anymore. On the other hand, it would be fun to just be free and relaxed, set up home projects, become involved in new activities with no worries.

Another beautiful day here in the Midwest, lots of work to do, so I will get to it. Have a lovely productive day all.

Comment

Mindful May-Week 2

Good Morning Maystars,

Star-I just love your posts....they are all so empathetic and compassionate and you exude such an air of serenity...even when life is not so grand....i.e...your dad's illness. How is he faring now that he is home? Is his recovery going well? I wholeheartedly agree that I took my health for granted for too many years, and I'm determined ot make up for lost time. Your inspiring post has set a positive stage for me today, thanks.

Ok, kids...I brought my step bench with me and it's time for Step Boxing in My Hotel Room.:H

Hi to Lav, Dill, Pap, LBH, Cyn, TDN, Tip, and anyone else who checks in....Happy AF Thursday!!

Rusty
                              AF4ME4EVR

Comment

Working...
                              X