another question about amino acids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After reading one of the threads, i looked up amino acids on the internet.

It said that they come from proteins. If i eat a lot of proteins do I need to take them? given my diet i doubt highly that i am deficient.

It also said that some of them, if given in isolation of higher levels than others, can have certain beneficial roles for neurotransmitters. is that why we are taking them?

i am getting confused.

i don't like taking all one because it is a powder and i have to blend it every day with juice.

Hi,
    I've wondered about this too. Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins so yes in theory in a society that eats too much protein we should all have enough. Some amino acids are essential, which means we have to eat them and others the body should be able to make.
    I think that alcohol can change the way we use and make proteins but also there is the cooking factor. Each time we cook a protein we denature it in some way so don't get the full benefit. Eating raw protein would be better ie raw unpastursied dairy produce, an occasional egg nog (too much raw egg white isn't good for you), bean and seed sprouts and raw nuts and seeds and of course raw meat and fish if you like it.
    Suz
    Happy to be sober since 07 Sept 09.

Comment

Nancy, it is a difficult question to answer.

In general, the consensus is that as long as you are eating a well-balanced diet (lots of fruit & veggies, lean meats, etc.,) you really don't need to be taking supplements. You get all you need from your diet, and they are actually absorbed better because they are part of the food itself and not a supplement.

That being said, our brains are wired a little different and our bodies may require additional nutrients. I fully admit that I take a sports vitamin, fish oil supplement and glucosamine daily, and am not in a position to say what we should or shouldn't be taking - I believe it is what works for you.
      Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

the ultra-rich corporate moguls that maintain the fallacy that we eat too much protein really don't care a wit about our health...they are making an absolute killing selling their cheap cerial-based garbage as "health food" or worse as "diet food" while the US and other trendy nations suffer as diabetes, obesity, cancer etc skyrocket in astronomical proportions never seen before. I agree with AAth that a really balanced diet is key, and also that we drinkers need some extra TLC in some areas, primarily L-tyrosine, L-glutamine, and L-Phenylalanine which combat stress, derpression and cravings in many people and are certainly lacking in a lot of problem drinkers.
        Ok, that's my little soapbox ranting about the moronic "food pyramid" designed by lawyers that's killing us and our children with disease and weakness.

whew! end rant.
        nosce te ipsum
        (Know Thyself)

Comment

Just to add to what others have said, my understanding is that some of the amino acids are building blocks for neurotransmittors, and it's possible that some problem drinkers may have a deficiency in neurotransmittors, and taking extras of these (I think the ones that D mentioned, plus tryptophan) may help. I also read that the amino acids can compete with each other for absorption, so if you ingest them in balanced amounts from protein-rich foods you may not get enough of the key ones for neurotransmittors as you would taking a higher-dosed supplement of a single one. I am not a doctor or nutritionist, that's just what I've read. Hope that helps.

pixie
          AF since 6JUN2012

Comment

Working...
          X