X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF Friday 17 May

MAE absters!

Did it - had my fasting blood test at 7am this morning!:goodjob:
    Then drove home and prepared lunches etc and then drove to work. Whew!!!

Hope all are well. Sober. Happy (or happy-ish). If not let us know!!

The medics in NZ are big on oatmeal to aid cholesterol reduction. My partner follows this - and it makes no difference to his levels at all. But its a cheap, easy filling breakfast food (which I hate).

My own GP keeps telling me to eat a certain brand of margarine to lower my cholesterol. But I say to her - I don't usually eat (or like) margarine anyway so why would I start?? Also to get any benefits from this brand it seems I would have to consume a mountain of the stuff to make a difference.

Point being - I know several people with high cholesterol - for some changing diet helps and for others it doesn't make any difference (it may however mean that they are eating other nutrients etc plus feeling better). There are so many different theories and studies about diet/health. We also need to enjoy what we eat (assuming we have enough food in the first place - thats another shame that angers me). Exercise of course too.

On that note my dears I will return to my day job and bid you all a great Friday - hope all have endured the craziness and the anxiety of the week and next week we can have a heated discussion about the results of my blood tests (fingers crossed that my liver is healing. Bloody should be or else I will be cross:H:H)

catch you later:butterfly:

AF Friday 17 May

MAE Abbers,

Rainy day here but I am enjoying my birthday. Work is steady and pleasant

I have read a lot around blood types and how types A and AB suffer more with higher cholesterol.

I am an O so can eat fats with impunity, and do and have low cholesterol. I do and have for twenty years taken Co enzyme Q 10 ---amazing stuff, saved my life I reckon.

Truth is we can't go from being an animal that hunts and farms to sitting in offices eating processed food, drinking, smoking and stressing out without something breaking. Heyho, them's the breaks!

Comment

AF Friday 17 May

:bday3:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SOBER ONE !!! - THATS KUYA I MEAN

Comment

AF Friday 17 May

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KUYA!!!

:groupluv: :wave: :groupluv:

I'm grateful you are part of our group.
        You make a difference.

:l :l :l
        AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

AF Friday 17 May

Huppy Burfdy Kuya!

Treetops, I had to read that twice: your GP recommends margarine? WTF? you should cut up their medical certificate, leave and don't look back. Don't feel bad about not liking oatmeal as it's a pretty lousy food for humans and I avoid it for dietary health reasons. the fiber it contains kills beneficial gut bacteria, whereas fiber from veggies and fruit supports the gut biome. you sure won't see that on the side of a Monsanto subsidiary box of 'frankenfood' will you? what it will do is jack up your blood glucose which is not helping anyone. ok rant over.

one of the guys at todays noon AA meeting spoke of how he survived an alcohol-induced bleedout. yikes! he's so lucky to be alive. it's easy to forget just what a merciless foe that liquid can be.

and in happy/funtime news I just got back from the new Star Trek movie in 3D. what a fun geekout! they really did a good job.

be well peeps
          nosce te ipsum
          (Know Thyself)

Comment

AF Friday 17 May

MAE ....everybody,how are we all today then?Wont be stopping on long this morning..go to go to hosp this morning to see what they are going to do about me arm..certainly getting my moneys worth out of this NHS :H:H
            Thank you all for the comments around the high cholestoral..at the moment I am reading so much,I aint eating anyway..not got time to!!!:H Seriously tho, I need to sit down and go through it all..so many theories ,what ifs etc and yes Iam blood group A!! one thing I do know is I def dont want to start popping statins again .

Det you are doing brill...keep it up mate..and I will take you up on that offer.

Hi TT...hope the bloods come back ok

PPQP...hope you are feeling a bit better today and less blah

ltlw ...good hunting on the house front...those price differences are mad!!

Morning Lav...suns out here ..hows about over your way? you watching grandkids today?

Hi YAH ...you ok? weekend time...get some time to yourself in..Any new clients?

SL ...hope all is well for you

Kuya.......thank you hows things with you today? a big massive Happy birthday to you ...21 + vat is it?
            The cast of Coronation Street wanted to wish you happy birthday,...but a few of them are errmmmm otherwise engaged!!!, so got this bunch from your neck o the woods instead!!

Kuya ...just for you

One hot July day we found this old straggly cat at our door. She was a sorry site. Starving, dirty, smelled terrible, skinny and hair all matted down. We felt sorry for her, and put her ina carrier and took her to the Vet. She had no name so we named her pussy cat. The Vet decided to keep her for a day or so and said he would let us know when we could come and get her. My husband, the complainer said, "OK, but don't forget to wash her, she stinks." My husband and my Vet don't see eye to eye. He calls my hubbyEl Cheap-O, and my hubby calls him El Take-O. The next day hubby had an appointment with his Doctor, which is located next door to the Vet. The Doctor's office was full of people waiting to see the Doctor. The door opened and in popped the vet and announces to my hubby, "Your wife's pussy is finally shaved and clean. She now smells like a rose. And by the way, I think she is pregnant. God knows who the father is!"

A veterinarian surgeon had had a hell of a day, but when he got home from tending to all the sick animals his wife was waiting witha long cool drink and a romantic candle-lit dinner, after which theyhad a few more drinks and went happily to bed. At about 2:00 in the morning, the phone rang. "Is this the vet?" asked an elderly lady's voice. "Yes, it is", replied the vet, "Is this an emergency?" "Well, sort of", said the elderly lady, "there's a whole bunch of cats on the roof outside making a terrible noise mating and I can'tget to sleep. What can I do about it?" There was a sharp intake of breath from the vet, who then patientlyreplied "Open the window and tell them they're wanted on the phone" "Really?" said the elderly lady, "Will that will that stop them?" "Should do," said the vet, "- IT STOPPED ME!"

All day long Bob had been feeling guilty. No matter how hard he tried he couldn't forget. The guilt and sense of betrayal overwhelmed him. Every once in a while though he could hear a quiet inner voice reassuring him, "Bob, don't worry about it. You are not the first doctor to sleep with one of your patients and you certainly won't be the last."Then, invariably though, another voice would bring him back to reality, "Bob, you are a veterinarian."

A woman telephoned a veterinarian and asked him to come examine her cat. "I don't know what's wrong with her," the woman told him. "She looks as if she's going to have kittens, but that's impossible. She's never been out of the house except for when I had her on a leash." The vet examined the cat and said there was no question about her pregnancy.

"But she can't be," protested the woman. "It's impossible."

At that point a large tom cat emerged from under the sofa.

"How about him?" asked the vet.

"Don't be silly," answered the woman. "That's her brother."

A man takes his sick dog to the vet. The vet lifts the dog ontothe the operating table, looks down and says "Say ahhhhhhhhhhh!"The man looks at the vet and says "The dog can't speak". The vet says to the man "I was talking to YOU. The dog, s dead!!!

Banta has a cross-eyed bull that keeps bumping into things. He calls up to vet to try to remedy the problem.
            The vet says, "I think the best thing is to stick a pipe up his ass and blow real hard and the bulls` eyes will straighten out."
            The vet - a 70 year old man - inserts the pipe and blows. The bulls` eyes begin to straighten, but the vet soon looses his breath and the bulls` eyes are crossed again. The vet gives it another try, but looses his breath again.
            The vet looks at Banta and says, "You look like a strong man, why don`t you give it a try."
            Banta agrees. He then takes the pipe out of the bulls` ass, turns it around, and sticks it back in. He then begins to blow.
            "Shit!!!" says the vet. "What in the hell did you do that for?"
            Banta replies, "You don`t think I am going to put my mouth on the same end of the pipe that you had your on."

Banta goes to the vet and says, "My horse is constipated."
            The vet says, "Take one of these pills, put it in a long tube, stick the other end in the horse`s ass, and blow the pill up there."
            Banta comes back the next day, and he looks very sick.
            The vet says, "What happened?"
            Banta says, "The horse blew first."

A man buys a parrot, but after several weeks of trying is unable to get it to speak a single word. In desperation he takes the bird to the vet. The vet tells him that the parrot has too long a beak and that is stopping him from talking.

"I just need to file it down a bit and he should be alright," he says. The man says that is okay and the vet replies, "It will cost a hundred dollars."

"A hundred bucks!" says the owner. The vet tells him that it is a very delicate procedure. If he does not file it enough, the bird still will not be able to talk but if he files too much, the bird will drown while drinking his water. The man decides to think it over and leaves with his parrot.

The next day he comes back into the vet's shop, looking both sad and puzzled.

"What happened?" said the vet.

"Well, I just couldn't afford the hundred dollars, so I took him into my toolshed and did the filing myself."

"And?"

"And now he's dead."

"Dead, what happened?"

"That's what I came to ask you about. I used a medium-grade file and got the beak down to what I thought was the right length, so he could talk but not drown while he was drinking his water."

"Sounds good so far, then what happened?"

"And then I took his head out of the vice and..."

Three dogs are at the vet in the waiting room.
            When the first dog asks the second dog what he's in for, he answers, "My master bought a brand new carpet the other day, and at the first opportunity I soiled it, so now I've been brought here to be put to sleep. So what are you here for?"
            The first dog replies grimly, "I'm also being put to sleep. My master had a table with a collection of expensive vases and while I was chasing my tail I accidentally bumped into the table and broke them all."
            The two dogs then look over and ask the third dog what he's in for. The third dog answers, "The reason I'm here is the other day my master stepped out of the shower and she bent over. I couldn't resist, so I jumped her from behind and took her like a wild animal!"
            "So I guess you're also here to be put to sleep?" says the first dog.
            The third dog answers, "Nope, I'm here to get my nails clipped!"
            af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

AF Friday 17 May

Good Morning, AFers,

All this about discussion about cholesterol, diet and exercise has me running for covers. I prefer to just go on eating as well as possible, taking supplements only because of my GP and Gastro tell me to since my stomach doesn't absorb nutrition well, and exercise comes from working around the house and yard.

I would join Curves but don't have the $$ and I already have plenty of curves. :H:H

On a serious note, my husband has to take statins to keep his HDL in check. He also takes Co-Enzyme Q10 to offset the effects of taking the statins. Note, the Co-Enzyme Q10 costs a bunch more than the statin prescription.

Mick, Hope the arm issue works out in the end.

TT, I look forward to hearing the results of the FBT. Without alcohol in the mix, I am sure there will be some improvement in the LFT.

Kuya, Belated Happy Birthday!! Wishing you a wonderful year.

Det, Y@H, Bear, PPQT, SL and all others (so, so sorry if I missed anyone!!,) a wave from Alabama.

Hubby has his surgery this morning so I won't be able to check in regularly. I hope all have good AF day.

Remember to feed and nurture the good wolf inside today.

Love,
              Cindi
              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

AF Friday 17 May

Good morning Abbers!

Well, I have joined the bandwagon & am off to have my fasting bloodwork done as well today

Happy birthday Kuya! Glad you are having a good day
                My blood type is O so why did my cholesterol level go up? :H
                Frankly, I'm not worrying all that much about it - there's plenty of other stuff to keep my mind busy.

Hi Mick, hope you day goes well & you get a treatment plan for your arm!

Cindi, Curves gives you a good combination of cardio & strength training. If you can, give it a try some time. Hope all goes well for your husband today!!

Hi Det, TT, YahYah & everyone!
                Have a great day one & all!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

AF Friday 17 May

Lav.....do you take coenzyme Q10? Type Os are typically deficient. Now that I eat less red meat it is even more important. Add to that wheat and grain intolerance and type Os will suffer cholesterol problems.

Type A and AB are more predisposed to high cholesterol ......but type O gets more cancer so it all balances out to ensure we all die in the end! :H:H

Comment

AF Friday 17 May

MAE ALL...

Dinner out with friends, good night's sleep, and 4 hours to start of long weekend. Yup, feeling pretty positive this morning. Thanks for the "P's" YahYah, that did the trick.

TT..thanks for kicking us off and Well Done on the dreaded FBT (fasting blood test). The Dr. also recommended oatmeal for the ex's high cholesterol. Couldn't be the instant kind so up early to make the old fashoined lava gurggling brew for him, only to find out he'd stop at McDonalds on the way into work. That was the end of that.

KY...Happy Birthday Special One...I'll have a look to see if JC's started your B/day thread after this. Didn't know blood types and cholesterol were related. Learn something new everyday. Glad work is going good...have a great day.

YahYah...again thanks. Good luck with getting your practice moving and what is a peer supervision group? You're sounding great, keep it up.

Det...morning to another strong, happy MWO family member. You too are sounding great these days. Keep up the good work.

Mick...good luck today, will be thinking of you. I understand you're a bit preoccupied right now but since no-one else offered coffee, I'll get my own, BRB. Ah better. Yup feeling much better this morning, thanks. Love the new rabbit tunnel. Can't wait to see it boxed in and staged. Hah...staging a rabbit tunnel...I can see the DIY tv show now.

Cinders...good luck with hubbies surgery today and no worries about checking in, we're with you all day today regardless. Oh, and move over a bit, I need to dive for cover as well.

Lav...Oh no...another one bites the dust. Been avoiding my annual checkup as I don't want to join that bandwagon, but I know it's coming. I am seriously considering curves as I need someone else's routine to keep me motivated. Hope you have a great day.

Well coffee and tea on the go for anyone stopping in. Have a great AF Friday all and all to come...PPQP

Comment

AF Friday 17 May

Yoo hoo thats me back...they have decided at the hozzy that the needle job wouldnt be beneficial..so its surgery pour moi...good thing is that they didnt do it today so I have been out working in the garden again and getting a load of stone for the future front border..and cut the grass and moved some plants.Got to now wait for a telephone call from the triage nurse? what the hell is that all aboot??
                      af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

AF Friday 17 May

Mick;1506949 wrote: Got to now wait for a telephone call from the triage nurse? what the hell is that all aboot??
                        They just have to run a quick financial check on you to determine how much they can get out of you :H:H

I'm sure she's the one that will be giving you all your instructions. Glad your home and out in the garden. Have a great day.

Comment

AF Friday 17 May

Late check in for me.
                          Happy B day Kuya!!!
                          Busy day for me- gonna have a little snooze!
                          March: 23 days AF, April 26 days AF, May _23_ AF days
                          May 29: back to day 1
                          June: The battle continues......

Comment

AF Friday 17 May

ahoy AFenators!

Mike, they are going to perform a cash-ectome procedure I think hope yer ok mate! keep us up to speed.

Lav, glad nothing critical in the blood work. I wouldn't let high-ish cholesterol keep me up at night unless it gets over 250 or so. there are much more significant blood markers like C-RP for inflammation. remember that 45% of all heart disease fatalities had low to normal cholesterol. things that make you go hmmmmmmm. the fact you exercise, don't drink or smoke puts you in a pretty darn good spot.

just popped outside for a few sets on the weight bench. trying to get back into that good habit.
                            I can't recommend exercise highly enough for what it does for mood and outlook.

be well family
                            nosce te ipsum
                            (Know Thyself)

Comment

AF Friday 17 May

hey all - Kuya - happy birthday

Mick hope arm is ok - we're really really lucky to have free healthcare (to the patient anyway) in the UK in the NHS.

Day 6 here and feeling good - 5htp really helped me have a really deep sleep - or maybe OH being away and not snoring!Got marks and spencers posh fish pie, fruit and chocolate and peanut butter ice cream as Friday evening treat. I'm on sofa with cats, will be watching coronation st(assuming any of cast not in court right now) and bridesmaids dvd.

I need to call parents and arrange when we see them/when they come to visit/when I go to visit. Calling before 6pm as otherwise they'll be drunk and annoying, I have a difficult relationship they are really not interested in my life,can be overly critical and are very insular,negative about life in general. Anyway - I love them,they are my parents and that's that.

Tomorrow is close friend and me going out to lucnh - she's from US and is moving to NY in 2 weeks to do teaching - really really gonna miss her.She has leaving drinks in eve - I'm driving - she also isn't a big drinker. I'm reading jason vale book which is very similar to allan carr approach and is helping - it's about seeing sobriety as freedom and remembering that alcohol is an addictive drug so everyone is addicted to one level or another.

I'm also popping to shops and buying her leaving pressie, other friend's birthday pressie and cards and a new work bag for me. Good evening all to come and I'll catch up with you tomorrow after my chores round the house. I plan to be up at 9 and clean kitchen and bathroom,stick a load of washing on then watch 'saturday kitchen' before going out for shop/lunch.Zoom zoom!
                              one day at a time

Comment

Working...
                              X