Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about an AF June.

Hi, all,
    I was wondering if anyone would be interested in joining me. I haven't really come to a decision in my own heart yet, but wanted to throw out a line to see if anyone else might want to start the summer out with 30 days AF. I have some weight I need to drop before a marathon in July, and a big reunion of my husband's family.

Any interest?:groupluv:

I'm in. As G-man says - Bring it on!
    Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

I will join you both. I have been wanting to do 30 days for a while but keep having excuses to put it off (my birthday, vacation, etc.) I have my beach vacation during June and have decided I need to try my first vacation without drinking. I need to face my fear of a vacation without alcohol at some point. No time like the present!

Comment

I will join you. Why don't you start a thread in the Starting Out session -- that way more people may see the goal and join up. We had April and May AF month threads going and they were very helpful to me. Great goal, let's do it!
        Free at Last
        "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
        http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

i am new as of today. i have tried to quit for everyone else, but not really for myself and my health. knew i needed to quit, went to out patient and also tried the in patient, did good for awhile but than thought i had it under control - wrong! it is really hard when everyone says you should quit, but every get together is all about what wines and what new drinks are being made.

my son gets married also in august - would like to lose a couple of pounds and at the wedding not do something stupid and make him or my other children ashamed of me - which i have done!!!

i am not very formilair on how to work the threads. i am going to try to save this thread, but any advise would be helpful! thanks!

went to aa meetings and they are just my cup of tea - so i am hoping this is helpful to all of us!!

Comment

NoNameGirl - I am like you - entertaining the thought. It's daunting in that we start off the month with a dinner party at our house. We also are going on vacation to MN where we will be attending a wedding reception and then Canada where we will celebrate my grandson's h.s. graduation, same grandson's b.d., and my daughter's b.d. Recognize it is always going to be like this.

Wouldn't it be nice to do all all of the above looking healthy and feeling great!

TMH
            The pain of discipline is less than the pain of regret.

Comment

You can do it,not super easy but very attainable,l never thought l would quit,l find if you say forever you won,t go back on your word,as well tell a lot of people ,that keeps you honest,funny but it works,you don't want to tell everyone than wind up drunk around them,acting like a fool,well it works for me,LM 61 days sober and going strong,all the best on your journey!!

Comment

Hi there LadyJane :wavin:

Welcome to MWO! It doesn't 'stick' unless you quit for you, I think. What can you do differently now to make this for you?
                Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Hi, everyone.
                  Thanks to all for your comments. I know that this is going to sound really small of me, and I apologize ahead of time.

I actually "threw out a line" in regards to an AF June on this board on purpose... that is, I put it on the Long Term Moderators board because that is who I was actually hoping to hang out with for the month of June. BUT, as always on the Moderation Board, all are welcome. Just remember please that some of us will not be quite as "hard-line" or as "tea-totalish" as the folks who are abstainers.

If you are someone like me who wants to come back to moderating later and just is looking for a "diet" of sorts, jump on in. Well, heck. Anyone who cares to, jump on in:beach:

Comment

nonamegirl;1512807 wrote: Hi, everyone.
                    Thanks to all for your comments. I know that this is going to sound really small of me, and I apologize ahead of time.

I actually "threw out a line" in regards to an AF June on this board on purpose... that is, I put it on the Long Term Moderators board because that is who I was actually hoping to hang out with for the month of June. BUT, as always on the Moderation Board, all are welcome. Just remember please that some of us will not be quite as "hard-line" or as "tea-totalish" as the folks who are abstainers.

If you are someone like me who wants to come back to moderating later and just is looking for a "diet" of sorts, jump on in. Well, heck. Anyone who cares to, jump on in:beach:
                    Got it, NoNameGirl! Thanks for clarifying! I just hit 'New Posts' and sometimes don't look at which sub forum they are under.

Those of us who are abstaining will have a thread under the General Discussion, as we are not 'Long Term Abstainers' yet. Feel free to pop in and visit :thanks:

Comment

Im in for a/f June
                      I have been away from this site for about a year and just recently i am finding that i am drinking more and more so hopefully 30 days a/f will put me back on track xx
                      :dancin: enguin:
                      starting over

Comment

Still thinking --- I guess it's a good enough title!

Hey, Ronnie, TMH, Texas40, and anyone else who would like to join in.
                        Here we go!
                        June is busting out all over, to quote a song from one of my mother's favorite musicals. Let's stick together, come back here often and see each other through a good month. Together we can do this thing!

Comment

After "entertaining" an AF June discussed with dh. He was not happy to hear with all the trips, etc. and I agreed not terrific timing. So enjoyed wine with dinner guests on Sat nite. Then yesterday we had our 2nd golf match, lost, and protocol is winners buy the losers a drink. Had 1, then 1 last night.

Having said that, it does not mean I will just now carry on drinking. I plan to have an AF week. Will post on June Modders thread.

Good luck Ronnie, TX and NNG!

TMH
                          The pain of discipline is less than the pain of regret.

Comment

Hiya, All.
                            So, TMH, I am not really doing it all so solidly either. Here's my plan for the month, which will fit better in the June Mod Squad as well... my depression is most certainly helped with an occasional glass of wine. My husband and I have decided to limit ourselves to FRIDAYS ONLY, and then I will only have two glasses. And I may choose to not have any at all.

I know, I know. I can hear our friends on the General Discussion board, and I totally agree with them. I can hear them saying "See? This is what you'd expect from those wastrels down there on the Modders Board. No guts, no glory. Can't stick with a decision."

Sorry. It was a thought that kind of died on the vine.

Comment

Noname, if you have never done the 30 AF, it is a really good gauge to judge your level of dependence.
                              I was just finding this information for someone else, but I was struck by it and thought I'd share it here. It's an excerpt from the 4 stages of Alcoholism.

Alcoholism: The Third Stage

In the third stage of alcoholism, the loss of control becomes more severe and more observable. This means that problem drinkers are unable to drink in accordance with their intentions. For example, once the individual takes the first drink, he or she commonly can no longer control further drinking behavior, in spite of the fact that the intent might have been to have just "one or two drinks."

Now I know that this is the modding section, but I think it's important to remember that even on this site, moderating is advocated with the associated Rx's and supplements and hypno CD's. These heavy duty meds are not without consequence.
                              Sheer willpower alone doesn't get us (who have sought out online help for AL abuse) very far. You should try the 30 days....it can't hurt you and you may find that you feel better than ever.
                              Byrdie
                              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
                              X