X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mindful May- Week 4

Happy Hump Day Friends,

I got a late start with this week's thread.:H

Mr.G-be careful skydiving. I've never tried it but my cousin is now trying to become certified in the sport. He's very pumped! He needs an outlet as I'm sure you do.

I have lots to do today so I hope everyone has a peaceful AF Wednesday.

Mindful May- Week 4

Thanks Rusty, even though we only have a few days of May left

I have been out to Curves, stopped at the supermarket, have some work to do then get some more baking done for Saturday's yard/bake sale at Curves. The proceeds will be donated to the American Cancer Society ~ this is a fun, annual event

Glad to see the website up & running - couldn't get on this morning.
    Wishing everyone a wonderful AL Wednesday!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Mindful May- Week 4

Wow! End of May already!!
      Perse-I totally understand the depression. It hits me about 4 times a year now and its tough to get through but it's always temporary and I always find away out. Drinking is not one of the ways anymore!! My doctor asked me last year when it was particularly bad: "Do you think this is situational depression or something deeper?" I thought about it and said I thought it was situational. She gave me Welbutin and I only took it for about a month. It helped I think because it cleared my mind enough of the negative thoughts that I could see my way clear to go for one more job interview. I haven't taken it since because I now see that when I get really blue it has more to do with things going on in my life than something more organic. And I usually have some control over those things. Make sense? Not saying this is what is happening to you, just sharing.

Rusty-glad you didn't have to make that mega commute!! yes, this past weekend was sad with the weather. A spa day sounds like the perfect remedy!!

We are in for some severe weather today. Luckily, I hurt my back this morning and am home. If need be the kids and I can take shelter in the basement. I know I would have been watching the weather from work and freaking out if a tornado warning was issued. The basement hasn't been cleaned yet but the crates are still down there.

Lav-tornado in Western PA yesterday?? Not close to you right?

I had my review last Thursday. She has found fault with what is at my core: I'm still too friendly with the staff and I'm too much of a team player. I also don't focus enough or show enough enthusiasm for the policy creation part of the job. Hmmm, I didn't know I was creating policy-assisting yes. Unfortunately it is now clear to me that this is not a good fit. Not just because of her but because I really don't care about the big picture. I get my kicks out of working directly with customers (which we don't do in this office) and figuring out technical problems. So back to the drawing board. I am also not ruling out and early retirement. Just got to figure out a few things first. So, mistakes have been made but that's how we learn to navigate life and grow right?

Lav-hope you babysitting gig went all right.

Lav-hope reentry into work wasn't too bad.

Later!!
      New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Mindful May- Week 4

You hurt your back papmom? What happened?

Sorry about the work BS......been there. That is the primary reason I am doing what I am doing now. Not making a load of money but I have no one bitching at me except maybe the occasional unhappy customer & that's rare If you can swing an early retirement then you can just go do something you really like to do.

That tornado warning was for Erie County/west of Pittsburgh & likely much closer to Dill than me. I wouldn't be too surprised to see some storms here tonight as it's getting very hot & humid - ugh! My AC is on as of now!!! Hope you don't see much in the way of storms.
        Did I mention that the guys brought home 7 lbs of cod fillets & 3 lbs of haddock? They were quite proud of themselves but stuck me with the kitchen work of making fish cakes to freeze - oh well.

OK, back to work for me!
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Mindful May- Week 4

what a haul Lav!! You guys will have fish cakes for months to come :H

Thank you Lav for that answer. I have been doing a ton of thinking since the Marathon bombings and I've decided that I want to do what I want while I can. I have 15 years left to go for full retirement and by then Iwill be over 70 and who knows what shape I'll be in? Right now I can drive, have all my faculties and although not in good physical shape that can change (remember, my mom died of early onset Alzheimer's). I figure a retirement of 33% of my salary coupled with 20 hours of contractor work if I can get it (and I'm pretty sure I can) plus 12 hours of demo work will leave me in pretty good shape financially (at least no worse than I am now) and my weekends might be free (if I can do the demos during the week). I also have to look into an early retirement incentive from the state which will pay off my credit cards. Plus I have some TSA's that have been sitting for 20 or so years that I won't touch for a few years, plus what little SS I am entitled to plus I can still contribute to an IRA if I want to. That all might take care of me in 10 years when I don't want or can't do contract work anymore. Even my dad thinks this is doable although he would rather me wait as long as possible. More thinking and number crunching to be done!! It's a little unfair I think that I never found a life partner. Not sure what is wrong with me that that is how my life turned out. Sure would be easier to do this with another person!! Funny thing is, all I have to do is say the word and my hoarding friend would share a house with me in a nanosecond!!

Tonite is my first agility class in a year and I may not be able to go!! Not just my back but the storms!! Oh, and how I did it? I reached for a brush on my bureau this morning!!! There was the sharpest knifelike pain in my left mid back I have ever felt! I actually fell backwards onto my bed and couldn't breathe for a few seconds!! Aleve has decreased the pain considerably and I've been icing every hour. I have GOT to get back into shape! This is ridiculous!!

Hope Dill is OK. Those storms in the Midwest are downright terrifying!!

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Mindful May- Week 4

Really really sorry about your back!
            Sometimes just the simplest move & wham, there goes the back
            Hope you feel better soon & then get those muscles exercised gently

The fish haul was pretty good! I dumbly offered to do 'something' with whatever fish they brought back. I had no idea it be 10 lbs!!!!!!
            I found a decent recipe for cod fish cakes on the internet - phew!!!

We all deserve to be happy, there are no guarantees, there are no instructions.........
            I suppose, every now & then we just need to take that leap into the unknown & see what's there. Holding on to jobs, spouses, household junk just holds us back. We'll never know until we let go
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Mindful May- Week 4

Lav-you are so wise! As much as I would love to quit tomorrow(I mean retire), I know it will take some time and planning. In the meantime I will try to take some of the things my boss communicated to me and make whatever time I have left there a good experience.

Whew it is getting humid out there! Its not really hot-barely over 65 but the stickiness is rolling in. severe T-storm watch for a western county and I'm sure we'll get the same warnings later on. Here we go!!

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Mindful May- Week 4

As a friend just said on FB: "Holy lightening show Batman!!"that about sums it up!! Cyn-you OK? Your corner was all lit up in yellow for a severe storm warning!!

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Mindful May- Week 4

Absolutely nothing going on down this way papmom
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Mindful May- Week 4

Hello Mindful Ones, I am so sorry for my hiatus. I have been thinking of you all every day but time to myself has been nearly non existent. Over the holiday weekend my daughter and grandson came for a visit. It was wonderful to see her but the extra activity did add to my stress levels. Very soon I will be more relaxed. June 3 marks my last day.

This time of year on the work calendar is always jam-packed with doing assessments, writing reports and education plans for new students. I simply have been buried in it!! Today there is a reception being held for me and a few other colleagues that are retiring, so today will be a somewhat relaxed day compared to what I've been doing. Tommorrow a full day of parent meetings and then Monday another round of parent meetings, then clean out my stuff and go.

Sorry this one is all about me. I'll read and get caught up with you all and post more properly very soon!

Rusty, I think you've broken the record for "late starts" to the week!:H

Papmom, hang in there. So sorry about your back~ I have had the exact same thing happen to me many times...pain that seems to come out of nowhere!

Lav, WOW! 10 lbs of fish!! I love cod, too. That and Lake Erie Perch.
                    Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Mindful May- Week 4

Good morning friends

Gearing up for another hot & humid day here in the east - yuck. Lav's AC is on

Dill, I figured you were super busy, the end of the school year is always crazy. So nice that your daughter & grandson came for a visit
                      Enjoy the reception today, sounds very nice!

I hope everyone has a great AF Thursday. I am going to meet up with my daughter & grandaughter later for some girl time.

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Mindful May- Week 4

Good morning to all...

Been really busy after a week off, and it is hard to adjust, but today is my Friday, so I am working onhaving a good attitude.

Rusty, thanks for the new thread, always appreciate your thoughtful posts. It is true, AF, I cut out the negative people in my life or changed my response. For the most part. It helps thinking clearly and feeling more healthy, not something common when you are hungover!! I like the way you take each day as it comes to you. A spa day sounds relaxing.

Pap, sorry you hurt your back. Your review sounded disappointing. However, it still sounds better than the other job, for the most part. We have had some storms, but no damage, we are lucky. I am happy for the rain, it was getting dry around here and I love the green. I wish I could retire or only work two days...but finances will not allow.

Lav, busy as always...doing good and having fun! The Curves activity sounds awesome, a good cause.

Dill, good to hear from you, sounds as if your household was busy and fun. I too had company and was overwhelmed after my trip, but made the best of it. It is hard to have the intensive visits, but that is how it is when your kids live far away.

To allhave a good day.
                        Formerly known as redhibiscus

Comment

Mindful May- Week 4

Good morning kids on this very last day of May!
                          Is it just me or is time really flying lately?
                          What shall we call ourselves for June?

The heatwave continues. Yesterday my car was reading 100 degrees outside while I was driving home (actual temp was 93)

Hope you have some time to relax Star, we all need that

Papmom, is your back OK?

OK, off I go to Curves & to deliver the thousand cookies I made for the bake sale :H
                          Wishing everyone a wonderful AF Friday!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Mindful May- Week 4

Really rainy and stormy in my neck of the woods. I want to get out and work in the yard, but will have to wait till Sunday, according to the weather reports.

Sad news about my Dad, his cancer was not all cut out, and he will need further treatment. I was so bummed out when I heard this yesterday, it is hard. Realize that there are so many challenges in life, and I want to be able to face them, healthy and whole. So, doing my best to take care of myself to be there for my loved ones.

I am going to clean and read today, meet someone for a discussion, and prepare those black bean burgers from Lav's recipe link. Hope everyone is doing well, have a great day.
                            Formerly known as redhibiscus

Comment

Mindful May- Week 4

Sorry about your Dad's news Star.
                              Is he located near any large city hospitals or cancer treatment centers? I really believe in going to the specialty centers where there are more options available

I read a great quote on the Positive Outlooks Blog this morning:
                              Worrying doesn't take away tomorrows troubles,
                              It only takes away today's PEACE.
                              ~Unknown
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                              X