Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

June AA Thread

Everyone:

It's always kind of nice to start a new monthly thread. Perhaps it's that clean slate feeling.

There are many recovery topics I've been thinking about. One of them is meetings: changing, rotating, dissatisfaction, missing persons, lessons learned, etc. I've mentioned on occasion that our weekend meetings (the first ones I joined), are in a state of change. Key people have decided for various reasons to start attending other meetings. At first I was dismayed about it. Now, I can see that might be the natural progression of meetings. The old, missing people make way for the newer members to step up. Last night's step meeting was quite small, as there were many people away for the weekend & others who had defected to another meeting. Nonetheless, the meeting (on step 6) was great! I learned a lot, & there was plenty of sincerity in the room.

It's very difficult for me to "go w/the flow." I like to control what feels uncomfortable to me. I think that's one of the lessons I have to learn from all this. Other people have their own issues & paths. They have their own way of clearing up conflicts. They don't need my unsolicited help or advice. So, tonight I'm going to the original discussion meeting I started w/way back when I first started in AA. I'm giving a 3 year medallion to a friend & will stay focussed on what I can learn from the discussion.

Please do not hesitate to join this discussion even if you don't go to AA meetings.

Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

June AA Thread

Yeah Mary, go with flow, change, uncomfortable feelings used to be a reason to drink. Now I have to feel those feelings....like everyone else. It does not necessarily get easier, but my life is easier if I don't drink. That is the path I shall take today.
    Love and Peace,
    Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

June AA Thread

Phil: Thanks for your response. I introduced the topic of meetings for last night's discussion. It was a great discussion...plenty of praise & gratitude. I too drank when I felt uncomfortable, upset, nervous, etc. I don't have to do that today. I can feel those feelings & know they'll pass eventually. Mary
      October 3, 2012

Comment

June AA Thread

Hi all! Mary - always grateful to see you starting a fresh thread for the group here!

I was at a speaker meeting this morning and "feeling the feelings" was one of the things the speaker really highlighted that I could identify with. I still don't like feeling some of the feelings that are part of life. I just have to keep working on it and not drinking over it, one day at a time. It's amazing how years of drowning every single feeling under an ocean of booze became my "normal." Sounds so ABnormal today.

A woman approached me after the meeting today who just recently moved to my town. There are over 100 meetings listed on our area meeting list. She asked me "so which ones are the GOOD ones and which ones should I stay away from?" It was interesting to contemplate her question and sincerely respond that all the meetings I have been to had something beneficial for me - in other words no negative feelings about any particular meetings. How cool is that?

Hi Phil!

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

June AA Thread

Hi!

I am just wondering how many have been working AA. I am also wondering about people's successes or 'non-succeesses', and any advice for newcomers.

For the last couple weeks I've really been reading up on it, when people are successful, they are long term.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

June AA Thread

Phin: AA was the only way I could stay sober long-term. On my own, even w/MWO, this website, I could not. I need the help of the fellowship. I need meetings to keep me from drinking, as any alcohol in my system makes me want drink way more than I should. I go to meetings 5 to 6 times per week. It's only an hour out of my otherwise busy day...but an hour worth spending. When I was drinking, I wasted hours & hours in a drunken state, so one hour at a meeting is fine w/me.

DG: Yes, I'm still learning that difficult feelings don't last forever. I can get through them sober by:
            -praying
            -meditating
            -doing some kind of activitiy
            -anything but drinking.

It will pass eventually.

mary
            October 3, 2012

Comment

June AA Thread

Good morning...

Mary, thanks for the invite to share. Control is a favorite topic of mine. I want to control, everything. I realize I control very little except my own actions. Giving control to God, or Higher Power makes life more manageable.

Feeling uncomfortable feelings is part of life, as our feelings come and go, all day. And sometimes all night. I like the list of prayer, meditating, distracting with an activity, and not drinking. I also like to call a friend for support if I am in a difficult place emotionally. Turning to alcohol is never a solution that works. Also appreciated your observation that an AA meeting is an hour, while drinking activity takes lots of hours.

One day at a time. It is really all any of us have. From NPR: Be well, do good work, stay in touch.
              Formerly known as redhibiscus

Comment

June AA Thread

star:

Many thanks for sharing. So much of what you say are concepts I've learned while sober. I especially like your quote from NPR which I've heard but never thought enough about: Be well, Do good work, Keep in touch. I like that. It emcompasses a lot of wisdom.

I'm learning little by little to deal w/life & to be good to myself in a wholesome way.

Mary

PS: That observation about how much time drinking took up: I've heard that many times over at meetings when we start to hear complaints about how much time AA meetings take up. Our drinking took up far, far more of our time than recovery ever could.

PPS: I'm a control freak through & through. I'm just now learning to Let Go & Let God. It isn't easy.
                October 3, 2012

Comment

June AA Thread

hi all! let go is my favorite aa clich?, it's so good and it works, if you let it.

I finished my 12th step, and now that I am totally enlightened I plan to go on exactly as I have for the last 8 months, knowing nothing!

peace!
                  10-06-2012

Comment

June AA Thread

hey mary, 8 months? WOOHOO!!!

10-06-2012

Comment

June AA Thread

Hey All- just popping by- 3 days now no Alcohol-and I want a 4th

Comment

June AA Thread

support needed: Glad to see you here. Go for that 4th day. One day at a time is a good concept. It takes the scariness out of a sober life. I only have to stay sober today. I don't have to worry about tomorrow or next month or next year...just today.

BG: Loved your final thought: knowing nothing. I too feel that way. I hope I never get to the point where I think I have to be all-knowing & wise or I've got something better than the other person. I like feeling like a newbie.

8 months does feel good. I'm glad to be sober.

Mary
                        October 3, 2012

Comment

June AA Thread

mary, we're just babies! as long as we don't act like it, huh?

hey support, you got it! we are here for you. I hope you are sober today, because today is all you got! keep coming back

peace!
                          10-06-2012

Comment

June AA Thread

Hello friends from afar!!
                            I went to a 7th Thanksgiving meeting last night in a very dodgy area: gangsters, drugs, very poor.
                            I wish I knew how many years of sobriety we had in that room!!!
                            The humility of the "long-timers" blew me away!!! You almost have to drag their sobriety time out of them...
                            And again I realized that we are all ONE! Alcohol does not ask questions before it takes your soul....
                            I (ego) was tired (flesh) and really didn't feel like going, but, like ALWAYS, I got home with fresh hope, filled with passion for my fellow alkie, and with my program reinforced.
                            Be loved!
                            Sol xxx

Comment

June AA Thread

sol: Many thanks for that lovely post.

We went to a wonderful speaker meeting last night. A very long-time sober person spoke about breaking through his denial. Even though he was living out in the woods under a tarp, he still didn't realize the part alcohol was playing in his life. The things we go through in order to keep drinking! Anyhow, he had a wonderful message of hope. Yes, it renews my desire to stay sober one day at a time.

M
                              October 3, 2012

Comment

Working...
                              X