Back to basics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back to basics

Time to get back to the business of moving again. I know that's the key for me. Would love some company.

This morning I did a portion of a new cycling tape that I bought. Unfortunately, my bike needs some adjustments before I can really use this, so this will be (another) project for my husband. I'm going to take a walk to finish off what I started.

Who else is moving today?

Back to basics

barb,I wished you lived close to me. I need a workout partner. I have been doing really well the past 2 year pilates, running 1 hour a day.Then Wham I caught the flu was out for 3 weeks and haven't had the energy to start again It's been 7 weeks now. This is so unlike me. I had blood work done last week to find out why. Haven't heard anything yet,but I was bitten by a deer tick 2 years ago had the works, big bulls eye rash fever etc. Took tetracycline. Thought it was gone. I assume WW stands for weight watchers I read your profile. Does the point system really work, I thought about doing it online. good for you for doing some of your workout. I have been up for 5 hours NADA! This sucks
    Keep Trying
    Mary

Comment

Back to basics

Yep, WW is Weight Watchers. I've been a lifetime member for almost 11 years and have been working for them for almost 9 as a leader and a receptionist.

The true beauty of this program is that you are making choices, not sacrifices. This is a four-tiered program: eat wisely, move more, think first, use the support system. "Think first" is actually based on neuro-linguistic programing and uses ten "tools for living" to help you change your mindset from "sacrifice" to "choice". It also helps you change bad habits to good habits. It's just like drinking; if you try to "get rid of" the bad habit, you leave an empty hole that needs to be filled with something. For many of us, it is booze again. Same thing with eating habits - if you just give up something, you leave a hole. You have a choice to purposely fill the hole with something else, or it will fill itself, and you might not like the results.

I personally recommend the meeting. Yes, the points system really does work, as does the "no counting" plan. So does every plan out there. The key is to follow it - the only way you can do that is to enjoy the foods you choose and to enjoy the benefits of weight loss more than the temptations of whatever throws itself in your path. I've begun to see high fat, high sugar items as distasteful because theywon't get me what I really want, a fit, healthy lifestyle. It takes a lot of support and mind set retrospection to come to that conclusion. This is much easier to do in a non-threatening group environment. It's been scientifically proven that people who attend meetings lose three times as much weight as those who try to do it on their own.

Guess I'll step down from my soapbox now and practice what I preach!

Comment

Back to basics

By the way, good luck with the bloodwork. The whole thing sounds like one of those strange things that happens rarely and it sucks when it happens to you. Could maybe your energy be boosted a little by doing some moderate activity?

Comment

Back to basics

If I can chime in:

I've been working out lately, and loving it. The reason, is I workout quick. Instead of going with a long run, I'll jump rope. Instead of doing a lot of reps when llifting, I'll do less reps with more weight. I'm finding this is better for me. It is high intensity, rather than low intensity. I started doing this after reading a body building article. It made two good points.

First - the mental aspect. If you know you have to work out an hour or more, it is easier to do "tomorrow." If you know your workout will only be a half hour, it is much easier to do NOW!

Second - I mentioned jumping rope over jogging. Why? It will wear you out, and wear you out quick. That is why boxers do it. Great cardio. It is similar to sprinting. So, if you look at a sprinters body compared to a marathon runners body, who is built better? The Sprinter.

I found that I'm doing better with the high intensity stuff. The article mentioned that a lot of people over work, and hurt themselves in the long run. I just wanted to remind you that you don't have to do 2 hours a day, 7 days a week to get good results. Hope this helps if you're like me and want results with the least amount of work.
          where does this go?

Comment

Back to basics

Thanks Morrison - really like the suggestions!

I also find it difficult to put in the length of time - am finding it difficult to get beyond the half hour run - time in the gym has to be limited to about 40 mins as I lose interest so like you I go for the higher intensity - I've also found that if I exercise hard one day I need the next day off or doing something else to allow the body time to recover - so yesterday I worked intensively on the upper body whereas today I will go for a run for the cardiovascular/lower body. Tomorrow cycling - I also like the mix - doing the same thing day after day I find too monotonous.

SimeyBear - I really hope you're up and feeling tons better soon - it's horrible when you have no energy so good luck!

WWBarb - thanks for the synopsis of WW - I have a friend who's just started and i'm really anxious to see how she gets on. It certainly sounds a good approach to weight loss. Hope you enjoy your walk today - it's beautiful spring weather here so the outdoors is definitely beckoning! Unfortunately stuck in work for a few hours first, but then on with the trainers and off on the trails! Sorry I can't join you

Happy 'moving' everyone - enjoy those endorphins!
            :rays: Arial

Last first day - 15th April 2012
            Goals:
            Days 1-7 DONE
            Days 8-14 DONE
            Days 15-21 DONE
            30 days DONE
            60 days
            100 days

Comment

Back to basics

Okay, just my two cents on what works for me (and me only - everyone needs to find their niche). I think that you need to listen to the body type you have and determine if you are a fast-twitch type of person (sprinters & lifters) or a slow-twitch person (endurance athletes).

I am one of those people who HATES to be cooped up exercising indoors. Give me a long run or ride outdoors anytime - some of my cycling rides go 4-5 hours on the weekend! However, as a competitive athlete I've always been taught that the things you are the least efficient at are the things you need to work the most. For me, that means building weight lifting into my workouts. Not a lot, but enough to realize gains that will help me in my cycling.

A lot of it is conditioning and LISTENING to your body. Too many people make the mistake of going too hard on easy days, and then getting burnt out and going too easy on the hard days. If you are fatigued and don't feel like working out, then take the day off - if something hurts then don't exercise it.

Arial is right - variation can be the key to success when exercising. Do too much of one thing and your body stops adapting. In the end, it shouldn't feel like work, no matter what you are doing. Find something that you enjoy, do it in moderation, and live a healthy and happy life!
              Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Back to basics

It took me a long time to learn that every workout does not have to be a marathon. If I'm having a "lazy day" I do a lighter workout and don't beat myself up for it. Otherwise, I am going to push myself too hard and have a lousy rest of the day. Also, variety is key - I agree.

I am an indoor loving exerciser. I read a book on the bike or listen to my IPOD and all of the sudden, I am done. I love the feel of my muscles straining from lifting, and the only competition I like is myself.

It's key to know yourself enough to come up with a plan. If we tried to trap AA in a gym, he'd find a million excuses not to workout. If you tried to get me to ride a non-stationary bike, I'd fall off and never get on again - or get chased by a dog. You have to love it to do it.

By the way, AA, I am originally from Chgo - south suburbs.

Comment

Back to basics

oh, this isn't fair...the weather is great this weekend, you all are talking about cycling etc and my stupid knee is still dorked. Waaaaaaa!
                  I really miss my jiu jitsu classes the most. It's one of the few exercises I can do on a regular basis and never get bored, and the movements are so varied.
                  regarding diet, I have a bone to pick with the antiquated diet metality that insist that eating fat makes you fat (while they eat tons of low fat carbs that throws the body into an insulin spiked weight-gaining frenzy)....oh well...lot's of money in the diet schemes. Since I stopped eating the "fluffy carbs" like chips, bread, pasta, cookies the weight is so much more manageable and I eat whenever I want. I consume enormous quantities of olive oil and other fats as I watch the weight fall off. I've never counted a calorie and don't intend to. I also don't own scales. I don't care what I weigh as long as I feel and look the way I want to and have the mobility and range of movement to accomplish what I love to do. At least that's what works for me.
                  nosce te ipsum
                  (Know Thyself)

Comment

Back to basics

Maybe Spoke to soon:

AAthlete nailed this good. Some people will actually enjoy the 4-5 hour workout, especially if it relates to their hobby and things they truly enjoy doing. My cousin just told me he is training for a marathon. A full 26 miles. I couldn't comprehend doing that training. We are all different. I have the mesomorph body type. AAthlete, does that mean a fast-twitch type of person? Cause the high intensity workout seems great for me. It actually gives more more energy, and doesn't burn me out when I do intense and short training. So, I guess I shouldn't have really posted what I did above, because it won't work for everybody. The best thing, as AAthlete mentioned, is trying to find something you enjoy. Then its a win/win situation. Oh, but no matter what, always stretch, and warm-up. That will help avoid injurires. Lots of water too to prevent cramping. AAthlete could probably give some more tips on this.

Determinator. That sucks. I'm just recoving from a nasty groin injury that had me unable to do what I want for months. I hope you get better soon. Try not to rush anything though.
                    where does this go?

Comment

Back to basics

Morrison I'm curious too...I was under the impression that all people had both fast and slow twitch muscle types...hmmm. AAthlete ????

groin injury? Ok, I'm not complaining about my knee anymore. yow!
                      nosce te ipsum
                      (Know Thyself)

Comment

Back to basics

You're correct in that people have both. However, people inherently have either more fast twitch or more slow twitch muscles. And, depending on the type of muscle that predominates, an athlete will either be better at endurance events or quick, speed events.

In all likelihood, you already have gravitated to the type of event that you are suited for - it just feels better to you.

Speaking of, getting ready to head out and use my slow twitch muscles for a two hour ride in 15 degree wind chills. Wish me luck (my wife thinks I'm crazy)!!
                        Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Back to basics

Good luck AAthlete. Thanks for the feedback. I wish I had your desire. I'm thinking about getting into climbing. I'm thinking that is one way I can get more cardio and not get bored.
                          where does this go?

Comment

Back to basics

climbing

I just got back from a hiking trip in Moab UT, sort of near you morrison, climbing those mountains and trails was a great workout.(hope that is the climbing you were talking about)

I am sitting here trying to figure out what kind of "twitch" I have!? i am just getting old, have a bad knee but still insist on working out at least 3-5 days a week, lift alot of weights and pretty much eat healthily without really "following" a diet....The weight has dropped off since I put down the Miller lite though, not a drop since 2/18, and frankly, I hurt alot less now and can(and enjoy)working out alot!!

Just had to put my 2 cents in.............miss everyone, it has been about a month since I have read or posted!! Just been busy I guess!!

Mary Anne:h

Comment

Back to basics

Yes Mary Ann

That was the type of "climbing" I meant. Also, I used to drink a ton of Miller Lite, and my last drink was 2/13. Interesting coincidence.
                              where does this go?

Comment

Working...
                              X