Being a Christian this bothers me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think so many people have lost sight of what this weekend represents; I know people enjoy three day weekends as a chance to get away and enjoy themseves. I have nothing against that. I just would like every Christian to take this weekend as relection. Reflection on the greast sacrifice ever given. It humbles me in every aspect that god would think I as a sinner, was worth letting his Beloved son suffer for my sins. I just happened to think as a Christian Holiday this is the most important, Can you imagine going into a city where you knew you were going to be tortured and slowly murdered to save others. Amazing indeed. I don't want to ramble on it's just something I wanted to say.
    Love
    Mary

Yes Mary, Thanks so much for posing your thoughts...

By His Stripes we are healed. This is amazing sacrifice and epitome of love displayed..How humble we should be. Glory to God for his Mercy, Love, and blessings...
    Blessing to you Mary.
    Control the Mind

Comment

Hi Mary,

I certainly agree that most people do not even give time to think about this weekend and what it represents; the same as happens at Christmas, in fact, although I do agree that this is an even more important time.

I was born a Catholic; and I no longer subscribe that every teaching given to me by the Catholic Church is true.

Having said that, I have a strong belief in Jesus; I believe that he was a real human being that walked on our planet; and I believe that he was closer to God (or the life force, or Love, or whatever you want to call it) than any being either before or since.

And I also believe that he chose to take on board all of the negativity on our planet at that time and heal it; and that is why he chose to be crucified.

I believe that he was a fully actualized human being, with full knowledge of his spiritual origins; that he personified everything that we all can be, and that is why he said, “Rise up and follow me.” He did not mean us to worship him; he was showing us the way.

And this is why I agree with you when you say, “Can you imagine going into a city where you knew you were going to be tortured and slowly murdered to save others”.

Yes, he did know that, and he chose to do that, and we are so fortunate to have the benefit of those teachings today.

In the true meaning, Happy Easter. Bless you.

Gem x
      Free since 26th February 2012

Comment

Rocky and Gem, I sit here with tears streaming, Thank you for understanding and sharing!
        God Bless
        Mary

Comment

I believe this is a everyday kind of thing!
          I believe God is who He says He is
          I believe He can do what He says He can do
          I believe I am who God says I am
          I believe I can do what He says I can do
          I'm believing God.

:h You all.
          Thanks for sharing
          Nancy
          "Be still and know that I am God"
          Ps. 46:10

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Hi Simey and Gem,

I am not religious and do not subscribe to the teachings of the Bible per se~ however, I do believe in Faith and it's powers over humanity, be it Christian, Muslim, Ba'hai, Hinduism, etc... I think that strong faith in whatever "book" you choose is good to a point. I say a point, because as we know, extreme faith can be deadly ... 911, abortion clinic bombings, IRA, Middle East messes, etc...

Having said that, so you know where I am coming from- what do you think about the whole hoopla about the chocolate Jesus controversy? A gallery, I believe in NY was going to show this work over Easter. Not being religious, I kinda saw it as an opportinity to draw crowds to a work of art that would stimulate conversation about Christianity and how it's been somewhat lost among the copious amounts of chocolate that the Easter Bunny bestows on us every year. I know it crosses a fine line... kinda like the debate over keeping whale in capitivity ( the pro argument that it teaches us to appreciate the whole by sacrificing a few ).

Anyways, not writing this to stir up controversy, but rather just curious as to where the flack comes from.... had the statue been made of clay, gold, or orther material, there would not be quite the flack, I am sure.

Skoots
            "I have not failed - I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas A Edison

Comment

skootie, I can tell you my feelings about this chocolate image. this takes the Lord and Saviour I belive in and makes him a novelty. On the scale of the Easter Bunny and peeps! Therefore his sacrfice is ignored for someone's idea of entertainment. It's not art. I can hear the jokes about climate control and bets on when melts etc. It just dosen't seem right to me. I belive no matter who your God our sacrifices up to him should be of the highest and purest quality. But we all have opinions; this is just one voice here. Mary

Comment

Thanks Simey for the reply and I do get where you are coming from... but do you not think that just by having this guy do this, it's possible that he reintroduced the thought of Jesus into people's minds this week... as you did on the boards?

I think it's a catch 22 in it's purest form, really. You may not agree with the means to the end... but you have to admit, it's has got people talking and remembering what this Holiday is all about, no? I am wondering if this may be what the artists intentions were all along.... things that make you go hmmmmm....

Jeepers, 11 days AF and my unsmashed brain is all hopped up!

Skoots
                "I have not failed - I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas A Edison

Comment

In the words of Al Gore " why I may not agree with your decision; I accept it " Room for both sides.
                  Smiles
                  Mary

Comment

Happy Easter to you all..off to the Easter Services at church tonight and over the next few days...I am catholic and live in faith and hope as best as i can...couldnt have got to these 40 plus days of lent AF without the power of prayer and all your support.

hope to try moderating next week but if it doesnt work out i will continue my journey through life knowing that god loves me and is with me through it all..

dont want to go on...but I am so glad i have a strong faith..in helps me so much when i have had dark times...god always gives me enough light for the next step!!
                    46 days AF today and feel strong enough to try moderating...BUT never smug as pride before a fall.

Happy Easter ..off to Europe for a week Saturday..and will do Mass in spain on sunday.

Regards Cassy

Comment

Skootiemom…

Wow, a chocolate Jesus, huh? That’s pretty weird… and pretty funny, too. In fact I think it’s quite clever. I mean, who ever said that the chocolate festival of Easter has ever had ANYTHING to do with Jesus…

Nah. Nothing. Ever. It’s always been just commercial. And also, the whole eggs and bunnies is pagan anyway.

I wonder who decided, way back when, to link the two festivals? It doesn’t make THAT much sense – except, to make money in chocolate. There’s a designer chocolate shop just down the road from me. I swear, I have never seen any more than one person in there at any one time, apart from today, the day before Easter Sunday – there were twelve people in that shop!

If Jesus were here today… he’d say, “What ever you want to spend your money on is fine… by the way, there’s a few hundred thousand kids in Peru that are starving… but whatever…”

Gem x
                      Free since 26th February 2012

Comment

Thanks simey and all.

Comment

Hi Simey and All, can honestly say that this is first year I have ever given Easter any thought apart from Easter Eggs and a long weekend. Thanks to those who showed me this way (you know who you are).

Lorna xx
                          Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

Jesus......It's not about chocolate!

I hope you have a blessed day.

Love you all.
                            :h Nancy

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Saturday

I agree Nancy, Jesus and chocolate, I don't get.

Eons ago, eggs were used to celebrate re-birth and then signs of respect, etc. They were colored by the Greeks and other cultures because of their symbolism. I think we adopted these symbols and enjoyed them.

But the art gallery situation is just another person's interpretation of art etc.

Happy Easter to you all:h
                              Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Working...
                              X