wed 20th June

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wed 20th June

Mae everyone ...and how are we today?what are we all up to today then?Went to the docs yesterday with my back...had to really..couldnt leave it at home..all I gpot was a box of 100 cocodamol..which are highly addictive,and to go back in 2 weeks..not really the answer I was after,so I will go back in 2 weeks,then I think they will CT scan it..got some more plants,so its all planted up now, in height etc, so now its sit back and enjoy.weather is glorious here..its 6.20 am and even the rabbits are out playing.

on with the show here we go ..tea and coffee available.

hiya Cinders..how are you?still raining there?Limbs off the azaleas?how big are they?what colour blooms.any plans for today?One thing I didnt do ..and I do apologise is...congratulations on your 3 moths on the 13th..I was away gallivanting ! so well done you.

morning Lav ..and how are you today?hows Thomas the tank going?here one for you..

Go on to youtube.com,then in the search box type in Day Out with Thomas at East Anglian Railway Museum Part 3 of 5.
    theres loads of them ..keep the grandkids amused!!!Any plans for today?have a good one..after your coffee

Hiya YAH...was wondering where you had gone..nice to "see " you.yes hols was good..but now back to reality (well at least for a wee while!!)
    Glad your new work premises is coming along well....As for abs nowadays for me al does just not form part of my life or thought process..yes I would be lying if I said it doesnt crop up now and again...but its so easily dismissed now its irrelevant ..I dont mean that to sound big headed or something out of the ordinary...but just like other folks,I put a heck of a lot of work getting to this point, as you have..a month between us exactly I notice..and guess what I am trying to say is anyone can get to this point, but you have to be prepared to say no and believe in yourself.. not just say it and think ok just the one etc.
    As for strategies for your re-union can think of a couple....
    If you are that unsure of yourself(which I dont think you are) then dont go..is 12 months af worth a couple of drinks?
    Dont even consider any mod issues..if you could like the rest of us you wouldnt be here
    Thought of taking some af drinks with you?I actually like the taste of some of them ,as opposed to thinking of them as substitute alcohol.
    Just say no I dont drink..let your friends make their own guesses as to why not
    Drive there...
    Say you dont drink..,then come up with some mad outlandish reason why not..turn it into a mad joke..ie you are trying to save grapes because there is a world shortage and you dont think they should end their short lives in a grape press,so you dont drink wine!!they will think you are mad but hey who cares??
    Lastly...remember how crap it was to come here and say I drank..do you really want to do that again?
    Just a few things ..sorry went on so long!!!

Hiya june, hows you today? wow well impressed wit the garden ....succession of colour..get some pics up as for the size..youve heard it before "madam ..its not the size, but the quality that matters!!:H as for the cravings..well done on shutting them down..its called surfing the wave..well thats what I call it!! have a great day

Hiya Det..hows you today? its the duty witch here!!!as for the bovril...you dont eat it..you drink it.Pour boiling water on it,stir it up.If you get bored with it ,you can also spice it up..I have in the past added pepper, jerky seasoning, tabasco,mustard in fact you can add anything you want to it..its lovely..and guess what only 13 cals a cup!!

Can I contribute to your diet book? how to lose 20lbs ....chop yer leg off!!! less weight and cheap shoes!!!

Hi ppqp ...and hows the weather today?any better? did you find a moida mystery?so whats on the cards for today then?any plans after this coffee Ive made you?have a grand day

Right peeps off we go..see yall laters.

front door...hanging baskets..all me own work!!

beach at Son Parc ,Menorca

go on ..guess what this is...its a real photo..turned out weird!!!

back border finished...all I can do is let it grow now!!!

A pregnant woman boards a bus. After taking a seat, she notices a man smiling at her. She feels self-conscious and changes her seat, but he seems even more amused.

She moves a third time, and he starts to giggle. On her fourth move, he bursts out laughing.

They both get off the bus at the next stop. The pregnant woman is furious and demands an explanation. "What exactly is so damn funny?"

"I'm sorry, ma'am," replies the giggling man. "But I couldn't help noticing you're pregnant, and when you first sat down, you sat under an advertisement which read 'Coming Soon: The Gold Dust Twins.' Then you sat under an ad that read 'Sloan's Liniments Remove Swelling.' Then you moved under a deodorant advertisement which read 'William's Stick Did the Trick.' And I just couldn't hold it in any longer when you moved a fourth time and sat under a tire advertisement which read 'Dunlop Rubber Would Have Prevented This Accident.'"

A man is participating in a golf tournament. He was left to golf with just his caddy. On his tee-off, the golfer's ball lands in a patch of buttercups. The caddy tells the golfer he can take the ball onto the course, and he won't take a one stroke penalty. However, the golfer refuses and takes the ball out of the buttercups and takes the stroke penalty. Suddenly, Mother Nature appears.
    "What you just did was amazing. I am so proud that you enjoy nature and all of its beauty. For your reward, I will give you a lifetime supply of butter."
    "Thanks," says the man. "But where were you last week when my ball landed in the pussywillows?"

Two Irishmen walk into a pet shop. Right away they go to the bird section and Sean says to Paddy; "Dat''s Dem". The shopkeeper comes over and asks if he can help.
    "Yeah, we''ll take four of dem dere budgies in dat cage op dere", says Mick, "Put dem in a pepper bag"
    The shopkeeper does as asked and the two pay for the birds and leave. They get into Mick''s van and drive until they reach a cliff with a 500ft drop.
    "Dis looks loike a grand place", says Mick.
    He then takes the two birds out of the bag, places them on his shoulders and jumps off the cliff.
    Paddy watches as his friend drops off the edge and goes straight down for a few seconds followed by a loud "Splat!"
    As Paddy looks over the edge of the cliff he shakes his head.
    "Focket Dat," Paddy says, "dis budgie jumpin'' is too dangerous for me..."
    A few minutes later, Seamus approaches. He too has been to the pet shop and is carrying the familiar 'pepper bag.'
    Seamus pulls a parrot out of the bag and Paddy notices that in the other hand Seamus is carrying a gun.
    "Watch this Paddy" he says, as he launches himself over the edge of the cliff.
    Paddy watches as half way down Seamus takes the gun and blows the parrot''s head off. Seamus continues to plummet until he joins Sean''s mashed remains at the bottom of the cliff.
    Paddy shakes his head and says, "An oim never troyin'' that parrotshooting oider..."
    After a few minutes, Danny strolls up. He too has been to the pet shop and walks up with his 'pepper bag.'
    Danny pulls a chicken out of the bag. He puts the chicken above his head, holds its legs and launches himself off the cliff with the same result.
    Once more Paddy shakes his head.
    "For me life Danny, first der was Sean wit his budgie jumpin, den Seamus parrotshooting and now you fockin'' hengliding..."

A man in the grocery store notices a woman with a three-year-old girl in her cart. As they pass the cookie section, the little girl screams for cookies. The mother says, "Now Missy, we only have a few more aisles to go -- don't throw a fit. It won't be long."

In the candy aisle, the little girl whines for candy. The mother says, "There, there, Missy, don't cry. Two more aisles, and we'll be checking out."

When they get to the checkout stand, the little girl howls for the gum. The mother says, reassuringly, "Missy, we'll be done in five minutes, and then you can go home and have a bottle and a nice snooze."

In the parking lot, the man stops the woman to compliment her. "I couldn't help noticing how patient you were with little Missy," he says.

The mother sighs, "Oh, no -- my little girl's name is Francine. I'm Missy."

Q: What does a plumber need to know about his job?

A: Sh*t runs downhill and payday is on Friday.

A cowboy told his grandson the secret to a long life.
    He said, "You gotta sprinkle a little gunpowder on your oatmeal, see. If you do, you'll live to a nice ripe old age."
    So the cowboy did this religiously every day, and sure enough, lived to the nice ripe old age of 96.
    When he died he left behind 4 children, 8 grandchildren, 15 great-grandchildren
    ...and a 16 foot hole in the wall of the crematorium.

A husband and wife are trying to set up a new password for their computer. The husband puts, "Mypenis," and the wife falls on the ground laughing because on the screen it says, "Error. Not long enough."

A robber comes into the store & steals a TV. A blonde runs after him and says, "Wait, you forgot the remote!"

A little girl and boy are fighting about the differences between the sexes, and which one is better. Finally, the boy drops his pants and says, ?Here?s something I have that you?ll never have!? The little girl is pretty upset by this, since it is clearly true, and runs home crying. A while later, she comes running back with a smile on her face. She drops her pants and says, ?My mommy says that with one of these, I can have as many of those as I want!?

How to be insulting when giving directions: Point with four fingers when they ask.

How to be Insulting on Public Transportation: Pretend to be foreign when the conductor asks for your fare and try to give him the wrong denomination of money.

How to be Insulting in Theaters: If the person sitting in front of you is blocking your view, try adopting an irritating cough, or kicking your feet under their seat. Nasty, wet sneezes down the back of their neck are also effective in persuading them to look elsewhere for a seat.
    af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

wed 20th June

MAE all,

Mick, thank you for the congratulations. I am one happy girl, myself. Soon you will be an MWO solar orbiter. A phrase developed by an old timer here who has been off the boards a while, his name was xTexan.

I have red, pink and salmon colored (coloured) azaleas along the front and side of my house. During the trimming, which must be done immediately after the blooming, hubby pulled up two suckers from a couple of the bushes and he transplanted some to the back garden. Hopefully they are the small variety so they don't overcome the garden.

I like azaleas when blooming but prefer things that bloom all summer.

We have wild laurel on our mountain and are slowly trying to propagate them into the yard. We have two kinds of rhododendrons planted, Catawba and another one I simply cannot remember the name of. The Catawba's blooms are magnificent, a large lavender bloom, while the other one's bloom is much smaller but an absolutely vibrant red. When hubby wakes up I will get the name of the other. Just can't pull it out of my brain right now. Irritating.

I have back issues, too, Mick. Last year they were so bad I could barely walk. After much pain, doctor finally sent me to a back surgeon. They gave me a shot of steroids directly into the spine. It took about 2 or 3 days to "take" but once it did, voila, no more pain and I have been good since. It was so nice to be able to walk upright again. :-)

Luckily, my doc knows I am an alkie and will not give me the addictive meds, unluckily, there is not much else that touches that kind of pain.

Y@H, I know it is probably important to you to go to the reunion but I agree with Mick. If it is going to be such a trigger for you that you might drink, back off and go dancing that night or something else you do sober. Otherwise, ensure you are not hungry when you arrive, eyeball around and see who is not drinking and go hang with them, I imagine there are a few recovering alkies in the group, actually, or take some drinks you do enjoy, etc.

Whatever it takes. :l:l

PPQP, How was your day yesterday? Did you get some needed down time?

Det, It is good to be busy. Hopefully all the quotas and year end stuff end up positive.

Lav, We need rain down here but it would be so much better if it came in less quantity all at once and over more time. Mother Nature gives what she gives, though, and I guess we shouldn't complain. My property is downright lush right now. The ticks are horrible, though. Pulling them off left and right.

Waves to everyone else.

Have a super sober Wednesday.

Love,
    Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

wed 20th June

mae abbers

Mick - beautiful photos. The clear sea is gorgeous. And your pansies and violas(?). Just planted some of them this week too. Sorry about your back - does your swimming help it?

Hi Cindi - loved xTexan's posts - he worked very had on his sobriety.
      We had to severely prune old azaleas, camelia and a rhododendron the other day to make way for builders. They were in bloom, so I don't know if they'll survive. The people who built the house planted them and I wanted to keep them.

Had loads of stressors with the builders the last few weeks and coped like a normal adult :H It really does pass!

:hiya: to everyone.

Comment

wed 20th June

MAE ALL...up with the sparrow fart this morning.

Mick...thanks for the coffee and the kickoff. I stand corrected it is Thomas the Tank Train, see how long it's been. Sorry the back is acting up again...couldn't leave it at home :H Interesting what Cinders said, maybe a topic for the next visit? Love the front door and my guess is a "Witches Hat" in the ocean, you know, the one we burned yesterday.

Cinders...had a lovely down time day but couldn't find a murder mystery to watch. Ended up playing games on the computer, total waste of time, it was great. I remember the Solar Orbiter phrase but didn't really get to know xTexan. No ticks on the scene but we are getting inundated with mosquitoes.

Blondie...good to hear your "normal adult" coping skills were present the last couple of weeks. You're so right, it does get easier. Got to say I didn't realize there were so many gardeners on this thread.

My goal today is to figure out where I'm taking my 50 seniors for their Day Out Trip in September. Was going to do a dinner theatre in a small town called Rosebud but found out they're not open on the day I have the bus booked. Oh well, have to come up with something else soon so I can get it to the publishers next week. Putting garden issues aside today. Have a great AF Wednesday all and all to come....PPQP

Comment

wed 20th June

wed 20th June aka 19th June

After my post I thought wait a minute. If today is the 20th that means the open house is on Friday not Saturday. That's a game changer till I realized it's only the 19th today.
          And I thought TT was our time traveler.

Comment

wed 20th June

Good morning Abbers!

Slept in until 6:30 this morning - woo hoo!!
            The sun was up at the time but it's gone already
            Quitnet emailed me congrats for not smoking for 49 months - over $11,000 saved - geez

Thanks for the coffee Mick!
            No kids today but I will be on grandson duty the next two days starting at 7 am - yikes!
            I hope you get your back pain squared away soon, that's rough. You really don't know what you are dealing with until you get some xrays done.

Greetings Cindi, PQ, blondie & everyone!
            I hope everyone has a fantastic AF Wednesday!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

wed 20th June

Good Morning all! Another sunny day here in Toronto, we often skip spring and go straight to hot hazy humid but this month has been gorgeous daytime it's about 21-24 C and cool evenings perfect for sleep. Our back garden is a mess. We built a new garage and removed the old. When we get the driveway and interlocking put in I asked for a three foot wide strip along te north side for a garden. I miss growing tomatoes cukes onions, just a few plants of each. There really is nothing quite like picking a tomato that has been warmed by the sun.

Mick that beach looks inviting. And your doorway is lovely!
              Newbies Nest
              Toolbox
              My accountability thread

Comment

wed 20th June

Anah Krushka rhododendron.

What did I saw that was interesting, PPQP?

Yeppers, good call. Today is the 19th.

Waves June, Lav and all.

Cindi
                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

wed 20th June

Cinders...I was refering to the steriod shot.

:hallo: to Lav and June.

High Ho....Off to work I go....PPQP

Comment

wed 20th June

MAE all. Thanks for the good feedback about drinking. I definitely DO NOT want to come back here in a state and having to "confess" to drinking. Luckily, my best friends all know that I am sober and are very proud of me and will support me in staying sober. On Friday night we will be at a venue, and I will drink virgin margaritas, which I love ( I didn't drink margaritas when I was drinking, btw). The next day we will be having a bbq, and I will bring some good AF drinks for myself. I'm not really that worried. I've been to things in the past and have done okay. This is just the first big event during this quit, and I don't want to be complacent. Keeping thoughts of all of you with me will help enormously, I think.:h Oh, and it is NOT an open bar, so while everyone is spending mucho $$$$ on their drinks, I will be spending very little on drinking. I do plan on eating ahead. This place is very pricey!

Your pics are beautiful, as always, Mick. The strange one is like a beautiful abstract painting. I like it! Hope your back gets squared away soon.

Hi Cinders. I love the sound of all of your plants and the beauty of your place. The ticks, not so much. I'm glad your back is better. It is so difficult to live with chronic back pain.

Hope your azaleas make it Blondie! Good work on just being a normal adult!

Waves, Lav! We sure have had lots of clouds and gloom lately, haven't we? Have a great day today, and good luck with the grands tomorrow and the next day.

Maddie now has a boyfriend, but I am not looking forward to having grands for a while yet. I'm enjoying having my life to myself for the time being.

Glad you've had the great weather, 3June. It is so nice to have that perfect weather to enjoy before it gets too bloody hot and humid to stand.

Hope you have a good day, PPQP. Don't get bitten up by mosquitoes!

Anyway, gotta get painting! Ugh!

:l

YahYah
                    AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

wed 20th June

Hellooooo Abbers :hiya:,

Not my usual morning stop, but thought I'd pop in today. I do enjoy a quick read~by every now and again to see how you all are doin' (I do appreciate the jokes too). Very well I see and that is delightful. Carry on then & wishing you all a splendid day.

P.S. I do hope you get your back issues sorted Mick ~ chronic pain is the worst. I am dealing with the same.

All the best, P.
                      "People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone."

? Audrey Hepburn, Actress and Philanthropist :heart:

Comment

wed 20th June

hiya persephone nice to see you..glad you dropped in.

YAH ref your daughter and boyfriend...t shirt for you !!

af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

wed 20th June

:H:H Awesome T shirt Mick!!!
                          I forgot to mention your other pics this morning, very nice. Can you make a few of those hanging baskets for me?

The sun did finally arrive - going back outside
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

wed 20th June

oy! better late than never for ABland. very tired and had a rough work day but AF'ing along and great to read you all as always

xxxxx

zzzzzzzzz
                            nosce te ipsum
                            (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
                            X