af Monday 1 July

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

af Monday 1 July

MAE - well its a rabbits day as its the first of the month and so Mick should be pleased (as he likes rabbits).
    I am now post dinner - had a bit of a conversation with Det today re the diet thing. I don't quite agree with all the rationale - as there were many ancient diets in many parts of the world and they were not always that healthy. They also evolved of course. Anyway since I have had dinner I am over diets for today and wish all of you a healthy and hearty day - whatever you eat. I think we beat ourselves up too much about this and I just am grateful I have the choice and I have enough food - as so many are malnourished or starving.

Well I guess Bear, that you are on the way to Budapest or soon will be. I imagine its very hot there at the moment! Also too hot it seems for many of you in the US and Canada. Yikes. Blondie better be pre-warned as it will be hot this summer in Australia no doubt. But then it always has been.

Not much to report here on the AL front - except its not an issue for me at the moment. I really don't miss the stuff. Occasionally I will sniff something that smells like a gin and tonic but its probably just lemon scented cleaner! :H The smell of wine definitely makes me feel yuk - not a craving at all. I think a year AF gives you the space to break the association of booze with certain rituals - is that your take Mick?

I also don't think I am any more boring or any more exciting since I quit. I am pretty much the same person - just maybe now cram a bit more in my life, and have a trunkload of things to be grateful for. Its great not having to apologise for things you can't remember or only partially recall but I have not found being sober a magic button. Its not a revelation for me and I would be bloody worried if it was because it would negate most of my life! Shit still happens, people are grouchy, I get grouchy and good things come my way. I laugh and moan a lot but then I always did!

So some reflections. Not earth shattering or inspirational but honest. I am grateful to have my life back - but thats always going to have its fragility. One day at a time.

af Monday 1 July

Mae all, how are yiz today?well for us Northern folk its start of the week, but in upside down land Monday is nearly over!!Everyone have a good weekend

Tea and coffee on the go

Evening TT...how are you today?start of a busy week?hows the wisdom tooth doing?still playing up? I havent got my wisdom teeth any more..ok ok I ll answer it for you! yes we can tell!3 hours over a meal ...jeez I could do some serious damage to food in that time!!! hope you enjoyed your ice cream!!--oops just seen your July 1 post ..so rechange!!defo rabbits day they are out playing now ..well trying to cut through fences with out getting caught!!As for booze and association...think you are right..the correlation between certain things and al is no longer there or has diminished sufficiently to ignore easily..but as you say quitting al is not the cureall..it helps you to see things in a different perspective and deal with issues that are either clouded by al or exacerbated by its use

Firsrtly, Lav..heres a cuppa for you ..sounds like you need it!!Certainly had your hands full this weekend didnt you?Take it both dogs and kids have now moved on?taking it easy for the rest of the week?Just saw the heron land...so someones fishpond is in for a spanking!!!you take care and have a great day

Morning Det ..how are you? I found that about the cholestoral very interesting intend to read it in a lot more detail....there has a lot of research been done recently into chol, statins etc...and it seems that over the years,.a small amount of research combined with kidology and some shrewd marketing have taken over!!
    As for the stone ..easy ..add another category.....cant touch stone?....bloody hot :H

morning ppqp...how are you today?ok I hope ..watched the video..wow some water in there..shows you the power of mother nature...but also the support and help people can give when they pull together as one instead of fighting and trying to destroy each other!!!thanks for posting it any plans for today?

morning SF..how are you this fine day?wow you certainly have turned a corner in life!!well done :goodjob:

Hiya bear....well what can I say that hasnt been already said?Bit disappointed that you made the choice to drink ..still we are not judge and jury on that one!I thought you were doing along pretty good..maybe you tried to run before you could walk I dont know.Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh but to get there you need to face the facts,and sometimes its not prudent to wrap the truth up in cotton wool..perhaps you need to sit down and ask yourself a few questions...
    do I really want to give up
    am I prepared to fight through it even when it gets tough
    have I got a plan

yes low esteem self confidence and all that has been bandied about...that goes for us all though..every single one of us drank to excess for some reason albeit different ones..Usually when you have a root problem the first action is to solve the root problem...but in the case of al abuse, I believe imo only!! to see the root problem we need to remove the placebo cureall that we all used which is booze.Once that is gone or in tandem with ..you can address the other issues..lecture over
    All we can do is support you..the actions have got to come from you....on saying that ..enjoy Budapest naslazhdavaĭte na vashata pochivka !!

right peeps time for the orf..have a great day

An elderly British gentleman arrived in Paris by plane..

At the immigration desk, the man took a few minutes to find his passport in his carry-on bag. "You have been to France before, Monsieur?" the immigration officer asked sarcastically. "Yes I have" replied the elderly gentleman. "Then you should know well enough to have your passport ready". The British gentleman says "The last time I was here, I didn't have to show it". "Impossible. British always have to show their passports on arrival in France". The elderly gentleman gives the officer a long hard look then says "Well, the last time I was here, I came ashore on Juno Beach on D-Day in June 1944, and I couldn't find a single fucking Frenchman to show it to".

A plane from J.F.K. is coming in to land at a rural airport in Arkansas at midnight.

Mouthy pilot turns to his co-pilot, winks & says "watch this"...... "Pilot to control tower......hey there Hillbilly, guess who!!" Control tower switches off the airport lights..... "Control tower to pilot....... Hey there Yankee, guess where!!"

3 Ducks walk into a bar and order 3 beers.

When the 1st duck gets his beer he tells the bartender, "Thanks man, my name is Tom." The bartender says "Nice to meet you Tom! How's your day been?" Tom replies "Man! I have had the best day ever... I have been in and out of puddles all day long. Couldn't ask for a better day!" The bartender congratulates Tom on having such a magnificent day and then turns to the 2nd duck and hands him his beer. When the 2nd duck gets his beer he tells the bartender, "Thanks man, my name is Dick." The bartender says "Nice to meet you Dick! How's your day been?" Dick replies "Man! I can't remember the last time I had such a wonderful day! I have been in and out of puddles all day long. I will remember this day forever!" The bartender congratulates Dick on having such a magnificent day and then turns to the 3rd duck and hands him his beer. The bartender says "Let me guess...your friend's names are Tom and Dick, so you must be Harry!" The 3rd duck glares at the bartender and says "No, you asshole. My name is Puddles and DON'T ask me how my f.cking day has been!"

Did you hear about the man that stole the Calendar?

He got twelve months.

I've been told I'm not ambitious enough.
    If only there was an olympic sport for being a lazy bastard.
    That bronze medal would be mine.

When Jesus walked the earth

. . . he asked a catholic priest, what can I do for you my brother? and the priest answered, if you would just get rid of the pastor protestant. Jesus then goes to the pastor and asked him, what can I do for you brother pastor? and the pastor says "if you would just get rid of the stupid priest I would be etternally grateful. Jesus goes to the Rabbi and asks the same question to him. The Rabbi says, My Lord I would not ask for anything from you if you would just grant the other two gentlemen their requests.

What is the poor part of Italy called?
    The spaghetto

A dog lover, whose dog was a female and "in heat', agreed to look after her neighbor`s male dog while the neighbors were on vacation.
    She had a large house and believed that she could keep the two dogs apart. However, as she was drifting off to sleep she heard awful howling and moaning sounds, rushed downstairs and found the dogs locked together, in obvious pain and unable to disengage, as so frequently happens when dogs mate.
    Unable to separate them, and perplexed as to what to do next, although it was late, she called the vet, who answered in a very grumpy voice.
    Having explained the problem to him, the vet said,
    "Hang up the phone and place it down alongside the dogs. I will then call you back and the noise of the ringing will make the male lose his erection and he will be able to withdraw."
    "Do you think that will work?" she asked.
    "Just worked on me," he replied.
    af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

af Monday 1 July

Good morning Monday Abbers from the land of water - another week of rain on the way, geez
      I just saw a very sad news report about the loss of 19 young firefighters out west in Arizona. They have been busy fighting wildfires started by lightning. It has been extremely hot & dry out that way & these fires are a huge problem. My heart & prayers are with the families of the fallen today. This hits very close to home for me as my son is a firefighter.

TT, I have grown fond of my plant based diet & it has helped reduce my cholesterol numbers a little. I just feel a whole lot better eating this way & have eliminated my digestive problems
      I soak a pound of beans, cook them & freeze them until I need them - works great! I have learned to make a pretty good bean burger too :H

Mick, I am currently down to two dogs & zero kids although my grandsons will be here for a few hours this evening (and dinner). My poor garden is soaked & the deer continue to treat it as a free salad bar :H

OK, I need to get out to do some food shopping, stop in at Curves then get back here to get some work done.
      Wishing everyone a great AF Monday!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

af Monday 1 July

MAE! It's Canada Day a long week end. Couple of weeks ago I was worried about handling being out of town with the real drinkers of my family. I planned, made AF sangria. Didn't taste like sangria but it was a hit.Warched my brother get obnoxiously drunk. So thankful I was sober. Day 29 now and as determined as ever.

Bear I missed the post on your letting AL in, but hey fresh week, fresh month fresh start? I guess it's important to learn from our mistakes but also good not to kick yourself when you're down. Yore vacationing in Budapest? Lovely!

Mick I agree being AF is like when I got my first pair of glasses and saw so clearly. I hadn't realized how fuzzy the edges were until I put them on!

TT thanks for the food for thought. You made me think about something. I was afraid that being AF would make me boring. But that's not the issue. The trouble is I find drunks boring! Who knew!

Lav I hope the rain stops soon! It can be depressing! And I bet the chickens aren't happy either!

I am really struggling with the sugar cravings, having a rough time getting them under control. Told myself I'd give it a month AF so now I have to get serious. Silly, if I can quit smoking, quit pot, quit drinking, why has sugar become my new high?

NS I know the links you sent me refer to dopamine and I wonder if there's a healthier way to satisfy my cravings! I'm thinking endorphins.

PQPP Happy Canada Day eh?

Here's to a new month with new beginnings!
        Newbies Nest
        Toolbox
        My accountability thread

Comment

af Monday 1 July

Happy Canada Day! I hope to spend some time in Canada next year - mainly Quebec, Toronto.

June - there is lots on this site and elsewhere about the sugar cravings. L-Glut i supposed to help. Personally I find a blitz on sugar works best for me and I make sure I have lots of non refined sugary snacks - like fruit, seeds, nuts (but not too many!). Lots of fibre in other words. As I have admitted I like a sweet treat about one - two hours after dinner - a small icecream or ice block (the ones in packets are portion controlled) or a couple of squares of chocolate. I drink lots of fizzy water, coffee (switch to decafe later in the day) and eat quite a bit of leafy salad. Its not healthy but I also chew sugar free gum and clean my teeth straight after meals. Is this too much information???
          But we are all different and the most important thing is that you are almost a month AF:clapclap:- thats the best bit. And it sounds like you are not 'white knuckling' but enjoying your sobriety and making a cognitive shift. So go easy on the sugar - you are dealing with the hardest bit - really well!

Ghastly news about the fires Lavande - and I will think of your son.

Tuesday morning here and work calls. But first another coffee!

Comment

af Monday 1 July

Mae, everyone!

Coming back to the fold; life has been starting a new chapter, and I had no private time.

Nine months sober tomorrow. The road continues, and though I miss it sometimes, I'm on the path I need to travel.

I met a wonderful man a few months ago (not the cowboy) and we have been merging our lives. There is a line from the movie "When Harry Met Sally" that sums it up:

"When you find the person you want to spend the rest of your life with, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."

So, been busy. He barely drinks and is very health conscious, so sobriety is an asset in this relationship. Kuya, if you are out there, I found the man who will compliment, not threaten, this commitment.

Hi Treetops, Mick, Lav, PPPQ, Det, and others. I saw my wingman Fin is back on Day 1. I'm saying a prayer for him tonight. Please send him your positive thoughts. Tumbling in the surf.

Love to all, and hope your weeks are off to an amazing start.

Cat
            "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Working...
            X