Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

July AA Thread

Hi Everyone:

We just got back from our trip, & I wanted to check in. Can't stay. Hope all is well. Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

July AA Thread

I have few extra minutes & hope I can connect. I was down (w/my husb) to visit my mother & get a bunch of stuff done for her. We went to an open AA meeting which was a beginner's meeting. Good messages there...plenty of feeling. It's so comforting to go to AA meetings wherever we visit. They're the same as local meetings for the most part. M
    October 3, 2012

Comment

July AA Thread

hello everyone
      another month and another day af

Comment

July AA Thread

WE: Have you been counting the days? Some people don't like to, but some do. It's entirely up to the individual. Regardless of how many days you have, it's still a one day at a time endeavor.

I couldn't feel more grateful for my sobriety. It's given me a whole new clear way of thinking. I don't have to react anymore. I can think things through & find the best decision for me. When I was drinking, I felt very reactive. I also felt as if I had to be careful to go along w/as much as possible, because I felt so guilty about the secret drinking.

Mary
        October 3, 2012

Comment

July AA Thread

During this morning's am meeting, we read from "Living Sober." Today's reading was on the benefits of seeing a counselor/psychologist. I did see a psychologist about my growing phobias while I was drinking (i.e. being w/people, driving a car, socializing, etc.). Being the alcoholic in denial that I was at the time, I failed to mentioned the heavy, daily drinking. It's a no-brainer that the psychologist didn't help. I haven't felt the need lately to go for counseling, but I know that as a recovering alcoholic who is committed to rigorous honesty, my experience would be entirely different. The sharings were great this morning. I learned a lot. Mary
          October 3, 2012

Comment

July AA Thread

Hi! everyone
            I was counting the days but now will count the months now that I have 1 up my sleeve
            but I think I have 34 days now.....but who's counting

Comment

July AA Thread

Greetings everyone. I'm on the road again but this time with my wife. Yeah,vacation, hard to believe. I went to a 530pm meeting in Salt Lake City. It was good, just like home.
              The message is pretty much always the same....no matter what happens, don't pick up that first drink.
              Love and Peace,
              Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

July AA Thread

Absolutely! I can't pick that first drink! I just had a discussion w/my sponsor about smoking pot. One of our closest friends is now dating a guy who drinks & smokes pot. She has started smoking pot (no alcohol). I'm not sure what the AA policy is on that, but I know that if I ever had just one toke of a joint, I'd be right back into my addiction. For me, it doesn't matter what substance alters my consciousness...it's all bad for me.

It's so great to get on the internet & find meetings wherever you are...Phil, 5:30 am...wow!

Mary
                October 3, 2012

Comment

July AA Thread

I don't think anything that alters your brain is good for you
                  It wont take long and your friend will be drinking again ......her resistance will be gone with the pot
                  and I absolutly agree don't have the first drink I know if i do it will be disaster wont stop so ....don't have the first

Comment

July AA Thread

way to go witts end!!! here's a 30 day virtual coin for you!

I have often wondered if i would smoke pot given an opportunity. i probably wouldn't because i smoked for YEARS sun up to sun down and sometimes in between...i know i would probably end up a big fat pot head. it's scary because it is legal in Washington state, and when and if it is in stores or whatever they decide to do, i hope i can resist it...i guess ill have to stay strong in aa to cope.

well, i was on vacation with my daughter and the first day we were there (where my family lives and lots of friends) i found out that a good friend of mine's 22 year old son died in a one car (his) drunk driving accident. yes, he was drunk and driving, and flung out of the vehicle to die alone. he was found by a passerby about 3-4 hours after the accident...sad stuff. i held him when he was a newborn (i was probably stoned out of my gourd), and have been friends with his family for longer than that...i might have already wrote about it, but it weighs heavily on my mind. i am lucky i never killed myself or anyone else. damn it

anyway, we survived the 106 degree temps here and are on the way to a cool down to normal temps. since losing 52 lbs, the heat really doesn't bother me
                    as much.

peace!
                    10-06-2012

Comment

July AA Thread

ps, a good friend of mine in aa is going to be the speaker at a meeting Saturday. i always LOVE her shares and can't wait to support her...my first speaker meeting in my almost 9 months of aa...about time, eh?

ps mary, happy 9 months!
                      10-06-2012

Comment

July AA Thread

hey AAers!

big congrats to Wits End! your'e doing super

Betty, I just love speaker meetings. one of these days they are going to call on me...I'm not as nervous about that as I thought I may be.

great 4th step reading yesterday.

ciao all
                        nosce te ipsum
                        (Know Thyself)

Comment

July AA Thread

BG: Wow...you lost 52 pounds! Did sobriety have anything to do w/that? Probably...all our habits change when we get into recovery.

Deter: Great to see you here. I've heard in the rooms that we don't say "no" to a request to speak. Before I relapsed, I spoke...it's quite an experience. I'm sure after I get my one year, I'll be asked to speak again.

Take care one & all.

Mary
                          October 3, 2012

Comment

July AA Thread

jinkies! I don't know if I could say yes...my story seems so boring! middle aged woman starts drinking to relieve boredom and goes overboard for 10 years...stops after embarrassing er trip...:H

mary when people ask how ive lost weight, I tell them, I stopped drinking! I could not have done it (or anything much else) if I hadn't stopped! I exercise and eat right because I CARE now! I want to feel as good as possible and take care of my wonderful body since I abused it for soooo long! it is an amazing thing to feel good in my skin. I can do things at 42 that I couldn't do in my 20's and 30's...I can run, and I can carry large buckets of water uphill, to water my dad's trees (all 20 of them!) and not get winded, I can swim across lakes and still go further...I could go on and on, but these are all things I have done recently, and had no problem doing. I also eat very healthy. I do an almost vegan paleo thing (determinator!!!). I eat tons, and I mean tons of berries (in the winter, organic frozen), lots of seeds, no simple carbs or processed food, mushrooms, lot's of veggies and fruit (ok, so the fruit isn't paleo, but I don't care...too much good stuff in there to worry about) and I add turmeric, cinnamon, matcha green tea, and cacao to whatever I can. I still drink coffee, but I believe it is super good for us...in fact it might be what helped save my liver from the horrible things alcohol can do to it!
                            anyway, I ramble, I just feel so good, it's hard not to want to shout it out...attraction rather than promotion, right?

take care all and enjoy the day, hopefully everyone is off work and enjoying it!

peace!
                            xo
                            10-06-2012

Comment

July AA Thread

I have a sister who has smoked pot for over 40yrs and the damage it has done to her brain is unbelievable
                              she's away with the fairies and has lost all reality
                              Thanks bettygirl
                              sorry about your friends son
                              It really is a big problem drink driving
                              wish i had half some warmth we are having 10 degrees @ day if we are lucky it may reach 14 but it's nice if you find a nice spot in the sun
                              Wow how did you loose the 52lbs good work I thought I would when stopped drinking ...early days yet maybe for some results

Comment

Working...
                              X