Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thursday 11 July 2013

:new:

Greetings from Australia's most expensive city (Perth the most expensive city in southern hemisphere - The West Australian)

Thought I'd confuse everyone and start today. (though not as much as Mick confused us with a PPQ-esque avatar!)

Hi Turn, or the Hostess with the Mostess:H That's alot of hosting you're doing! Thanks for the laugh on the serenity now - I ought to say that instead of my usual outburst when driving!

PPQ - you'll love tumeric - it stains everything it comes into contact with a bright, gaudy yellow and tastes of dirt. Do try it.:H And ignoring people is a very effective way of dealing with them; pisses some people off no end

Cindi - I hope your daughter's situation improves once she has more financial freedom with her new job.

Bear - good luck with sorting things out with your friend.
    There are a few Indian restaurants that open in Perth that boast of having authentic UK curries (there are quite a number of Brits here!)

3June - congrats on your sailing through the social functions AF!
    SF -I'm sure the church wouldn't mind losing out to a pool on a sweltering night!

:hiya: to everyone else

Thursday 11 July 2013

Hi Blondie - trying to confuse people are you - being a newbie??:H
    I am just popping in to wave the flag before I go off to an afternoon of work.

Also what some dont know about tumeric is that when it stains - and you apply washing powder etc it goes pink or brown.
    The Indian drycleaners always seem to be able to get it out.

ACtually I had dhal soup for lunch which was yummy.'

Another sober day in paradise!alm:

Comment

Thursday 11 July 2013

So I've decided a culinary adventure with Tumeric needs to be soon. It will be fun to introduce my son to it - he is game for everything.

Mmm, I discovered I like soy ice cream. Side benefit of the gluten- and dairy-embargo. :H

It's a crazy, crazy week for me with work and social commitments, so I'm going to sleep early tonight.

ZZzzzzzzz.

Cat
      "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Thursday 11 July 2013

Yummy all this talk of curry and turmeric is making me hungry.

I LOVE dhal - I could probably happily eat it every day,and chicken saag but a spicy one, and tikka dishes, masala fish, dhansak - there is a curry place near us which is cheap and cheerful and no frills.It's pretty authentic but serves Pakistani style which is hotter but soo amazing. I want one this weekend now!It's always full of Asian guys sat chatting and eating and the chilli hurts your eyes when you walk in from them cooking. It's Ramadan right now so not sure if they are open/doing delivery, will have to check.

What does MAE stand for??

Feeling a bit anxious but did my 2000 repetitions yesterday of my affirmation from my therapist ' I am a good person and I have value'. Sounds impossible but I do ten sets of twenty. I also have access to the psychologist's own online CBT programme - I will definitely check out the other site that someone told me about yesterday.

I didn't do any exercise last night - I am going to go tonight for 30 minutes power walk round the park as soon as I get back from work. I've no idea what my resistance is - there seems to be a part of me saying 'you won't do it you never do'. I think there is also an element of thinking too much that creates problems.

Anyway I'm up early for a training day at work that hopefully WILL take place.
        Looking forward to the weekend of friends and sun.Having resentful thoughts about missing out due to not drinking e.g. pulling out of main night of hen weekend.Challenging this with 'it's one night.long term it won't be worth it. does booze REALLY help people bond?'

Also the thoughts with my friend that she will totally reject me 'she is trying to spend time with me,it may not be perfect but that doesn't mean it is broken, even if the friendship ends (unlikely) that doesn't mean I am intrinsically worthless'.

Not believing these new thoughts yet - but it's progress and practice makes perfect.
        Have a great day everyone.
        one day at a time

Comment

Thursday 11 July 2013

wow..blondie ..what are you doing on here so early?wet the bed or what?:H hows you? seems youve got a right chirper on ...well done on the thread start..would be interested to know what an authentic uk curry is!!

MAE everyone ..how are we today?Just reading through the turmeric issues..might be good but the stains are horrendous!!Suggested actions in the event of stains by turmeric

Clothing...bin it, not unless you want to wear a pretty pinky blotchy item!

Carpets furniture.....contact household insurance ..try and blame it on someone else!!!!!:H

so basically Turmeric can be used under the following conditions:

Remove all excess clothing..if modesty is required,then wear a paper use once only suit

Wear gloves in order to prevent yellow staining to fingers creating the impression you have been smoking 4 a day for the last 20 years.

Remove/cover with a dust sheet all non essential items.

Use disposable cutlery plates

Try and use someone else s house

Apart from that its a dawdle!!

Hiya TT ..hows you today?hows the afternoon been?As for the Indian cleaners getting the stains out...they dont..if you notice all their clothing is so gaudy,all those that wear them,that you would not see a stain,and for the others you cant notice it anyway ..there are so manty other stains, rips etc.Dhal soup ..yum yum ..did you make it? tomorrow night is curry night for us ..my turn to make it..got a great recipe book...50 great curries of India by Camellia Panjabi..tomorrow its Chicken with vegetables and lentils (Dhansak Mumbai)..let you know how it works out!!As for Julie ha ! for that voyage we would need 2 planes!!

Hiya Cat how are you today? ok I hope..might look for soya ice cream ..not seen it here ..

Morning Lav......arrghh just reminded me quick zip back to line 1 folks ..coffee on the go..apologies.How are you today?ok I hope..All my fuschia cuttings have struck, so now got 8 plants to grow on..trouble is cant remember the names!!I agree with you its good being busy..madam goes mad at me because I never sit down..dreading this op where I cant do anything after.Watched the last of the Amish series ..where they get married..it really is crap but its addictive..probably because its perception into something we know nothing about, unless like you ,you see it all the time

Aha its the control freak aka ppqp! right ..listen in..heres whats gonna happen..you you n you are going to .....no buts, it aint a debate this is a democratic decision that Im making! end of !! :H
          hows you today then ? ok?glad you like theavatarYes bit blowy is a meteorological term..same as

its fairing off..the rain is stopping

hill billy...chilly

welders weather..very cold..to weld the nuts back on the monkey (freeze the nuts off a brass monkey)

suns cracking the flags ...very warm

bit drizzly...fine rain

blowin a hooley ...very windy

so there you go all the tools to be a weather forecaster..oh and some pine cones and the stone that I put up the other day!

Morning Cinders wowee so I aint the only one with a daughter like that!!I am in the procees of ripping the back garden up and filling it full of money trees!!!!!
          phone call last night "hiya,cars not working, so Ive taken it to the garage..its the cylinder head gasket the man thinks not sure but the b ill will be around ?600,but Ineed the car for work all the time..oh and by the way Im going out on Friday but my money hasnt come through,any chance of a lend of ?50..
          For a Scotsman..Im sure you will appreciate how heart breaking this is!!!

Morning bear ..hows you?Seem to be going in the right direction ..good on you..just dont let the voice in..As for the hen do ..think thats a good idea to walk before you run,as for your friend well...Ive always found if you confront people head on with it,they struggle,whereas on the phone or letter its easier to come up with some miniscule reason and rationale.Went swimming yesterday..bearing in mind the day before I was getting fed up after 8 lengths,I swam 75 non stop yesterday..you soon get back into it..any break is just like starting again ,you have got to push it..have a great day.

Hiya Turn ..how are you today?getting ready fro the crowds I see.whats your weather like there? Is it sunny ? I imagine sunny but cold

Hiya June YESSSS!!!!!!WELL DONE ON A MONTH ..you really have taken to this..glad all is ok at home

Hiya SF...........some choice ..pool or church !!why not say your prayers or sing while you are swimming? :H

Hiya Det how are you tired n sober mate ..well done

right peeps going now so its a big bye by from me..have a great day

at great risk I will put this one up :H

Yesterday scientists revealed that beer contains small traces of female hormones. To prove their theory, the scientists fed 100 men 12 pints of beer and observed that 100% of them gained weight, talked excessively without making sense, became emotional, and couldn?t drive. ? No further testing is planned.

A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend.
          A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
          To be happy with a man, you must understand him a lot and love him a little.
          To be happy with a woman, you must love her a lot & not try to understand her at all.
          Married men live longer than single men, but married men are a lot more willing to die.
          Any married man should forget his mistakes, there?s no use in two people remembering the same thing.
          Men wake up as good-looking as they went to bed.
          Women somehow deteriorate during the night.
          A woman marries a man expecting he will change, but he doesn?t.
          A man marries a woman expecting that she won?t change, and she does.
          A woman has the last word in any argument.
          Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.
          There are 2 times when a man doesn?t understand a woman ? before marriage and after marriage.

One day, a blonde?s neighbor goes over to her house, sees the blonde crying, and asks her what happened.
          The blonde said that her mother had passed away. The neighbor made her some coffee and calmed her down a little and then left.
          The next day the neighbor went back over to the house and found the blonde crying again. She asked her why she was crying this time.
          ?I just got off of the phone with my sister, her mother died too!?

A fifteen year-old boy came home with a new Chevrolet Avalanche and his parents began to yell and scream, ?Where did you get that truck???!!!?
          He calmly told them, ?I bought it today.?
          ?With what money?? demanded his parents. They knew what a Chevrolet Avalanche cost.
          ?Well,? said the boy, ?this one cost me just fifteen dollars.?
          So the parents began to yell even louder. ?Who would sell a truck like that for fifteen dollars?? they asked.
          ?It was the lady up the street,? said the boy. I don?t know her name; They just moved in. She saw me ride past on my bike and asked me if I wanted to buy a Chevrolet Avalanche for fifteen dollars.?
          ?Oh my Goodness!,? moaned the mother, ?she must be a child abuser. Who knows what she will do next? John, you go right up there and see what?s going on.? So the boy?s father walked up the street to the house where the lady lived and found her out in the yard calmly planting petunias! He introduced himself as the father of the boy to whom she had sold a new Chevrolet Avalanche for fifteen dollars and demanded to know why she did it.
          ?Well,? she said, ?this morning I got a phone call from my husband. I thought he was on a business trip, but learned from a friend he had run off to Hawaii with his mistress and really doesn?t intend to come back He claimed he was stranded and needed cash, and asked me to sell his new Chevrolet Avalanche and send him the money. So I did.?

Things you don?t want to hear during surgery

Better save that. We?ll need it for the autopsy.
          Someone call the janitor ? we?re going to need a mop.
          ?Accept this sacrifice, O Great Lord of Darkness!?
          Spot! Spot! Come back with that! Bad Dog!
          Wait a minute, if this is his spleen, then what?s that?
          Hand me that?uh?that?uh?..thingie.
          Oh no! I just lost my Rolex.
          Oops! Hey, has anyone ever survived 500ml of this stuff before?
          Damn, there go the lights again?
          ?You know, there?s big money in kidneys. Heck, the guy?s got two of them.?
          Everybody stand back! I lost my contact lens!
          Could you stop that thing from beating; it?s throwing my concentration off.
          What do you mean he wasn?t in for a s*x change?!
          Anyone see where I left that scalpel?
          This patient has already had some kids, am I correct?
          Nurse, did this patient sign the organ donor card?
          Don?t worry; I think it?s sharp enough.
          What do you mean ?You want a divorce?!
          She?s gonna blow! Everyone take cover!!!
          FIRE! FIRE! Everyone get out of here!

A man goes to his doctor for a complete checkup. He hasn?t been feeling well and wants to find out if he?s ill. After the checkup the doctor comes out with the results of the examination.
          ?I?m afraid I have some bad news. You?re dying and you don?t have much time,? the doctor says.
          ?Oh no, that?s terrible. How long have I got?? the man asks.
          ?10?? says the doctor.
          ?10? 10 what? Months? Weeks? What?!? he asks desperately.
          ?10?9?8?7??

A bigshot business man had to spend a couple of days in the hospital.
          He was a royal pain to the nurses because he bossed them around just like he did his employees. None of the hospital staff wanted to have anything to do with him.
          The head nurse was the only one who could stand up to him. She walked into his room and announced, ?I have to take your temperature.?
          After complaining for several minutes, he finally settled down, crossed his arms and opened his mouth.
          ?No, I?m sorry, the nurse stated, ?but for this reading, I can?t use an oral thermometer.?
          This started another round of complaining, but eventually he rolled over and bared his behind.
          After feeling the nurse insert the thermometer, he heard her announce, ?I have to get something. Now you stay JUST LIKE THAt until I get back!?
          She leaves the door to his room open on her way out. He curses under his breath as he hears people walking past his door, laughing. After almost an hour, the man?s doctor comes into the room.
          ?What?s going on here?? asked the doctor.
          Angrily, the man answers, ?What?s the matter, Doc? Haven?t you ever seen someone having their temperature taken before??
          After a pause, the doctor replies, ?Yes, but never with a daffodil!?

During a visit to the mental asylum, a visitor asked the Director what the criterion was which defined whether or not a patient should be institutionalized.
          ?Well,? said the Director, ?we fill up a bathtub, then we offer a teaspoon, a teacup and a bucket to the patient and ask him or her to empty the bathtub.?
          ?Oh, I understand,? said the visitor. ?A normal person would use the bucket because it?s bigger than the spoon or the teacup.?
          ?No.? said the Director, ?A normal person would pull the plug. Do you want a bed near the window??

dont know if youve seen this one before if so apologies..does on harm to repeat it tho!!

WARNING:
          Consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not.
          WARNING:
          Consumption of alcohol is a major factor in dancing like an asshole.
          WARNING:
          Consumption of alcohol may cause you to tell the same boring story over and over again until your friends want to SMASH YOUR HEAD IN.
          WARNING:
          Consumption of alcohol may cause you to thay shings like thish.
          WARNING:
          Consumption of alcohol may lead you to believe that ex-lovers are really dying for you to telephone them at four in the morning.
          WARNING:
          Consumption of alcohol may leave you wondering what the hell happened to your pants.
          WARNING:
          Consumption of alcohol may make you think you can logically converse with other members of the opposite s*x without spitting.
          WARNING:
          Consumption of alcohol may make you think you have mystical Kung Fu powers.
          WARNING:
          Consumption of alcohol may cause you to roll over in the morning and see something really scary (whose species and or name you can?t remember).
          WARNING:
          Consumption of alcohol is the leading cause of inexplicable rug burns on the forehead.
          WARNING:
          Consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter and more handsome than some really, really big guy named FRANZ.
          WARNING:
          Consumption of alcohol may lead you to believe you are invisible.
          WARNING:
          Consumption of alcohol may lead you to think people are laughing WITH you.
          WARNING:
          Consumption of alcohol may cause an influx in the time-space continuum, whereby small (and sometimes large) gaps of time may seem to literally disappear.
          WARNING:
          Consumption of alcohol may actually CAUSE pregnancy.

H.A.N.D.
          af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Thursday 11 July 2013

quicky hidy-ho ABenators!

off and running but not as bad as tomorrow will be...I'll have to be up at 2am to make an ungodly early night demo for a SWAT team. egad! the things we do to keep the world ticking.

Catbuddy, please be very wary of soy products. they are extremely inflammatory (sorry, forgot that the other day) and 95% of all soy products are genetically modified to make things worse. they are packed with exceptionally high amounts of inflammatory lectins.

hope to catch a meeting today and zonk out as early as possible.

Blondie, why is Perth so expensive? because it's so remote? interesting.

be well everyone zoom zoom
            nosce te ipsum
            (Know Thyself)

Comment

Thursday 11 July 2013

Greetings Abbers!

My granddaughter has been on the go since 6 am - yikes!!! Wish I had the energy of a 2 year old :H

Greetings blondie, TT, Mick, bear, Det, Cat & everyone!

I stay away from soy products too Cat. They disagree with me as much as dairy
              The best non-dairy ice creams are almond milk & coconut milk. I make homemade ice cream using full fat canned coconut milk ~ awesome
              I have a recipe for vegan Cherry Garcia :H

OK, back to toddler watch. Have a great day everyone!
              Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Thursday 11 July 2013

MAE Abbers,

Thanks for starting us off, Blondie. I Googled the time difference and you are 11 hours ahead of me. Which means you posted at 6:00 ish your time? Just trying to get an arm around the time diff. I am TZ challenged. lol

Interesting about Perth being so expensive. I will follow your link and do some research.

Mick, my daughter is 32 and her husband is 34, my son is 34 and my DIL is 36, no money and still looking to hubby and me for help. Putting my foot down since we are basically living hand to mouth these days since I quit working. I am requiring them to actually help me with starting this business. It is a chance for them to grow up. We shall see.

On the other hand, friends, my son losing his job and becoming absolutely broke is how he FINALLY got sober. He had no money to buy alcohol. I told his wife yesterday, that even though she does not believe in God, these circumstances are a blessing. Their sobriety is worth more than anything else in the world for them. Just as mine is for me.

Cat, I have been reading about turmeric, also. Inflammation is an issue for all of us getting older. The meds that reduce inflammation are not suitable for me as I am gastric bypass. My stomach separated from my stomach last year and I ended up in the hospital for about 3 weeks. It was not due to anti-inflammatory meds, I am pretty sure it was caused by quarts of vodka on an empty stomach. However, my gastroenterologist told me I cannot take any of the meds for inflammation, so I have been looking into alternate sources. I love curry and turmeric is one of the flavors I love in it. I'll let you know if it helps me. Please let us know if it helps you.

Lav, Nature does seem to have set up this whole energy thing back asswards, hasn't it? The older folks who need to watch the little ones need the energy more than they do and the little ones seem to use up all that energy doing destructive and dangerous things. But, they are so cute. You have your hands full for a few weeks. You are a very loving mom. :l

I wonder if there is someone near to you who can spell you for some time each day? You are not a spring chicken. (Neither am I. I've seen a lot of 29 year-old birthdays...)

Bear, Don't over analyze, which you tend to do. Just make a short term goal and go for it. My mind is like yours so I know the trap. When I try to meditate, I find my mind zinging around like mad. My counselor gave me a great CBT exercise that helped even me. Think of your "happy place." Somewhere you love and gives you serenity. Close your eyes and envision it and go there in your mind. See the sights, hear the sounds and smell the air. Did this help you calm down? It did me. Practice this when you find yourself getting anxious. She told me that over time you don't even have to close your eyes to do this. I have been practicing this when my husband is driving me crazy. It works!! :H

Det, It wasn't me that started the discussion on CBT, I think it was Turn. My counselor is teaching it to me, too, though.

TT, Have you tried OxyClean on turmeric stains? My interest is now piqued. :-)

Waves to all other Abbers, I have to go clean house, study SQL for class, and gather info on Property MGT businesses in the area to see if I can make appts and discuss between rental cleaning and painting jobs.

Love,
                Cindi
                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Thursday 11 July 2013

Hey Cinders - thanks for the tip - just tried it went to beach in Maldives,instant relaxation! I am also ploughing through my affirmations and they seem to be helping - or maybe the idea that I can have some control over my mind is helping rather than feeling like a victim of it...and you're so right...less thinking is needed and more action!

I am off for a swim before meeting friends tonight - my expensive gym membership has a lovely swimming pool - and an open air one at the moment. They put the roof back on in September.

Have a lovely evening everyone.
                  one day at a time

Comment

Thursday 11 July 2013

ps... save yerselves some $ by getting turmeric from a good online spice supplier. I bought 2lbs of turmeric about a year ago and still have plenty. it can be bitter if you add too much but I love to cook with it in tropical/asian/indian fare.

Lav, this sounds amazing: I make homemade ice cream using full fat canned coconut milk ~ awesome
                    nosce te ipsum
                    (Know Thyself)

Comment

Thursday 11 July 2013

Blonde...church won out...it was pouring rain when I got home.

TT....glad to hear it in your posts that you are feeling better. It's a great reminder to me....that it passes. Even you are in a funk it stinks though.

Cat....I really hate crazy weeks. I love weeks were I can go with the flow....and do what I feel like doing....rather than having to somewhere because of social or work obligations.

Bear....I love positive affirmations. Usually in a short time other positive thoughts come to mind.

Mick...I should realize if I miss a day....I can just read your post and be all caught up. Especially liked the jokes from today.

Det....You mean SWAT is not a 9 to 5 job? I don't envy you having to demo for them at 2am!

Lav...you are a stronger woman than I. I doubt I could manage a two year old for extended periods of time.

Cinders...it is tough with kids and money. My in-laws have helped several of their children out of hard times. I just can't understand why the kids have no inclination to pay them back once they are on their feet. Now some of these so called adults feel like they should get more because someone else got more. Glad to say we have never borrowed a dime.

I am glad to not be counting days. Rather I notice shifts in thinking or behavior that mark that I am making progress. I also am aware when...i am slipping backwards.

Tonight I start Anatomy. I had thought of taking the summer off as I am not in a rush. I am regretting that I did not take it off. But usually once I am in class I am glad to be there.

Happy Thursday!

Comment

Thursday 11 July 2013

Cinders - we have the equivalent of Oxyclean here - but no it does not work I can assure you! No problem though. Like Mick - we just make sure eat our curries in the nude (and think of Mauritius - been there once on my travels - but sorry Bear, Fiji is more beautiful!).

This time Det - I agree with you - I also am careful re soy. Esp cos of the genetically modified stuff.
                        At least the diary products here in NZ are from well nourished beasties - lots and lots of grass and water. We dont keep our farm animals inside - even in horrible weather (I know lots of people cant tolerate diary).

Mick - the dhal I had yesterday was from one of my favourite local cafes (its not Indian). Its quite an unusual recipe - very hearty - so keeps you going all afternoon. Seems to have lots of garlic and ginger in it (thats not unusual) but something else. Also has lots of tomatoes. I must ask the chef for his secret. They put a swirl of thick yoghurt on it too - and some crisp onions.

Comment

Thursday 11 July 2013

Dairy not diary!
                          Common mistake

Comment

Thursday 11 July 2013

Agh, inflammatory issues everywhere. If it weren't for the chronic pain issues, I would not be running down these rabbit holes. In general, I have avoided soy anyway, so I'll go back to that.

Lav, will you share the Cherry Garcia recipe?

Cat
                            "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Thursday 11 July 2013

another rabbit-hole - run run - where is Alice?
                              Cat - you also need to make sure you are getting enough calcium - thats an issue for us women esp.

Comment

Working...
                              X