af Sat 13 July

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

af Sat 13 July

MAE all you luvvies around the world ... Mick, Lav, Cinders, Pauly, Turn, Blondie, SF, PPQP, Blondie, Det, Bear, JUne, Cat..... I know I bet I missed someone off the list. No intentions - just memory cells on my part.
    OK MAE also to lurkers as well - and she who cannot post - kia ora Kuya! Miss you heaps - we all do here.

Well Mick's hangover 'cures' are enough to put anyone off food, let alone booze. Very graphic is all I can say. I could smell it. Than you Mr Jockster :egad:

PPQP - so it was your turn to loose a post. :upset: Its really frustrating isn't it? You sentiments were still hovering around the thread - so no worries.

Cinders - another one with a full house. Take care my dear. You are doing so well - and coping with the family who like to present 'situations' in the mix (no offence thats meant in a supportive way)

Lav - hows the childcare and the ice-cream (we had probiotic mango yoghurt last night - as well as sinful chocolate biscuits) - buy hey we were watching Hitchcock! Great movie - one of his early classics from 1943: "Shadow of a Doubt". Small town America and the psychopathic uncle comes to stay.

Bear - lots of special calming thoughts sent to you for the weekend. But hey, even calm people can be silly and have fun - I try:H And they don't need to consume you-know-what!

Mick - more trips to you-know-where and whom? Well I don't know but my mind is in over-drive. Take care mate.

Blondie - I don't think Perth could be described as congested could it? One of my travel plans is to do a trans-Australia trip and take in some of the outback - but this may have to wait until I retire.

Well absters its really iced-up here this morning. Still dark and the ice is twinkling away (its not ice like Turn or PPQP know it). All will be gone in a few hours. I hope, as I am driving my daughter to the hairdresser and I have to hit the supermarket. One of the things I can be grateful for is that now I don't have the pull of the wine section anymore. I also shop far less as I don't have to stock up on bottles of the poison. I thought my grocery bill would go down but it hasn't because now I buy more interesting and varied food items and treats (and also because wine is so bloody cheap here anyway).

But no more clanking! Mick - can you do a list of alkie sound effects (but make the sound disgusting instead of enticing)?
    Clanking of the bottles would be one.

Another list might also be - destruction of the evidence. This was especially problematic for a greenie like me. Confession:
    Hiding bottles at bottom of the recycling container, but recycling container too small, driving to another trash deposit bin, or putting the bottles in the non recyclable bin. I actually felt really guilty about the latter. Also how to dispose of bottles when staying at someone else's place or in a hotel (cleaning staff might be horrified to see nice professional middle class woman drink so much alone in her room). Bet they had seen worse.
    All seems silly now but it was so f...king time consuming and embarrassing.

On that note I will offer you all some coffee (there is tea as well).
    Have a great sober and interesting weekend

af Sat 13 July

MAE abbers! I hope you're all well. Not a lot of news here, I am home alone this weekend, hubby went out of town with his buddy, I have to work so it's all good. I plan to putter in the garden, get some reading in, a little suntanning if I am lucky. We work 12 hour shifts on the weekends so it's 530 pm to 530 am for me. It's not great but we get 3 days off during the week to make up for it so I can't complain. Life is actually pretty good these days. Not drinking has really made me feel healthier, more energetic and happier. Here's to a great weekend!
    Newbies Nest
    Toolbox
    My accountability thread

Comment

af Sat 13 July

I still like to stay up late on weekends.

TT you made me laugh. I hated the clanking of beer bottles in the trash so I always took it out before passing out.

One time on vacation my husband went to bed really early and I had quite a bit to drink. We were in a hotel so I put them in a box and left them outside a door down the hall. The next day when my husband returned from breakfast....he said, "looks like they had quite the party down the hall". I never let on that they were actually mine

Comment

af Sat 13 July

cMae, everyone.

Yeah, all those bottles. I do not miss that. I use to hide them in my garage because I was embarrassed for my housekeeper to see all my recycling. Then I would discover them during unguarded moments. Ugh.

SF, it was a great picture you painted - you in the pool watching the drunks spill out of the bar. No, never want to be there again.

I agree there is insane hypocrisy around drinking. Everyone should be able to handle it, and if you can't, you're somehow a screwup. I am sad when colleagues speak of others in business with disrespect around this. I am so brilliantly grateful I no longer have to fear my behaviour during business dinners.

Tough day here - I broke my nose. I was playing soccer at a company picnic; everyone was asked to join the game (there are only 17 of us total). Rammed my nose right into my friends' shoulder. I will find out Monday if it needs to be set - apparently they no longer mess with it while it is swelling. Looks quite crooked to me, curves to one side. Not an improvement in my looks. :upset.

Planning a quiet weekend, then. Mick, I have my first green beans, and it's inspiring me to just play in the garden tomorrow.

Cat
        "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

af Sat 13 July

mae everyone ..tis I back from the land of escapades that I was on yesterday.So how are we all today?weather over here is lovely again they reckon that there is another week of this..temp recorded in my car yesterday was 34 degrees!

So tea coffee n water on the go.

Evening TT.how are you ?mind in overdrive?well just to add a wee bit more..here you go ..where we were yesterday, there were tv crews filming us, but I dont know when it will be on the telly or if.
          Yep the hangover cures are pretty graphic arent they? see our government has shelved the ideas of plain wrapping ciggies and also a minimum cost per unit for booze Mr Spineless aka David Cameron on the 12th of March this year emphasised that there was a problem that was due to cheap booze and that they were going to tackle it ..yeh right!! in less than 4 months there suddenly isnt an issue!!!obviously both those industries are ploughing into the coffers, but do their inputs match the required outputs for the results of alcohol and fags ?Police,fire ambulance health service etc?I doubt it..see Im on one!!!!have a good evening

Hiya June you ok ? certainly sound it..keep it up ..you are doing great ..No more niggly voices?

Morning SF..doing good?yep reckon that during our drinking days we all went to devious lenghts to hide it ...stashing bottles everywhere!My next door neighbour asked me last night if I was still not drinking..I replied that it was over 12 months since I had a drink..his reply..fkn hell I couldnt go for 12 hours!!and that just about sums peoples attitude to it ..drink is there and needs to be taken!!As Lav says drink aint an option you have done so well..and again pat on the back for yesterday..distraction techniques do work!!

Mornin bear ..and hows Saturday for you? ok I hope .Any plans for today?

Mornin Lav..tis the weekend ..nae kids for you??? go on treat yourself..have this coffee and away you go to the garden centres..me Im painting up fence panels ..replacing the old broken ones with stronger ones I have made from pallet wood!!

Hiya Cinders hows you? yes since I stoped drinking, must say that I have been more than interested in ice cream..mmm love it.Usually get the weightwatchers tubs, which are only about 100 cals a pot.
          Surgery is on the 24th ..preop on Tues.. def not looking forward to it!!

Morning ppqp..welcome to the wheres my fckin post gone gang !!Its crap when that happens..Still heres a brew for you..any plans for today?whatever ..have a good one :l

Morning YAH .. nice to see you ..hows things? pretty busy sounding.Need to be a bit careful...2 grown up women in the same house ...oops :H have a great day

Hiya Det ..hows you today? mbh Im in the same boat as you ..an ice cream maker ..wow I would defo be in the deep stuff!!!

Hiya Pauly you ok? nice to see you post on here :goodjob:

Right ho folks fence painting time so off we go..red cedar here we come!!!

HAND

The theory of creation

God created the mule, and told him, ?You will be mule, working constantly from dusk to dawn, carrying heavy loads on your back. You will eat grass and lack intelligence. You will live for 50 years.?
          The mule answered, ?To live like this for 50 years is too much. Please, give me no more than 20.? And it was so.
          Then God created the dog, and told him, ?You will hold vigilance over the dwellings of Man, to whom you will be his greatest companion. You will eat his table scraps and live for 25 years.?
          And the dog responded, ?Lord, to live 25 years as a dog like that is too much. Please, no more than 10 years.? And it was so.
          God then created the monkey, and told him, ?You are monkey. You shall swing from tree to tree, acting like an idiot. You will be funny, and you shall live for 20 years.?
          And the monkey responded, ?Lord, to live 20 years as the clown of the world is too much. Please, Lord, give me no more than 10 years.? And it was so.
          Finally, God created Man and told him, ?You are Man, the only rational being that walks the earth. You will use your intelligence to have mastery over the creatures of the world. You will dominate the earth and live for 20 years.?
          And the man responded, ?Lord, to be Man for only 20 years is too little. Please, Lord, give me the 30 years the mule refused, the 15 years the dog refused, and the 10 years the monkey rejected.? And it was so.
          And so God made Man to live 20 years as a man, then marry and live 30 years like a mule working and carrying heavy loads on his back. Then, he is to have children and live 15 years as a dog, guarding his house and eating the leftovers after they empty the pantry; then, in his old age, to live 10 years as a monkey, acting like an idiot to amuse his grand children.

This is a compilation of actual Church Bulletins and Service bloopers:
          * Our next song is ?Angels We Have Heard Get High?.
          * Don?t let worry kill you?let the church help.
          * Remember in prayer the many who are sick of our church and community.
          * For those of you who have children and don?t know it, we have a nursery downstairs.
          * Weight Watchers will meet a 7 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church. Please use large double door at the side entrance.
          * Jean will be leading a weight-management series Wednesday nights. She?s used the program herself and has been growing like crazy!
          * The rosebud on the altar this morning is to announce the birth of David Alan Belzer, the sin of Rev. and Mrs. Julius Belzer.
          * This afternoon there will be a meeting in the South and North ends of the church. Children will be baptized at both ends.
          * Tuesday at 4:00 p.m. there will be an ice cream social. All ladies giving milk will please come early.
          * This being Easter Sunday, we will ask Mrs. Lewis to come forward and lay an egg on the altar.
          * The service will close with Little Drops of Water. One of the ladies will start quietly and the rest of the congregation will join in.
          * Next Sunday a special collection will be taken to defray the cost of the new carpet. All those wishing to do something on the carpet should come forward and do so.
          * The ladies of the church have cast off clothing of every kind. They can be seen in the church basement Saturday.
          * Thursday night?Potluck supper. Prayer and medication to follow.
          * Eight new choir robes are currently needed, due to the addition of several new members and to the deterioration of some older ones.
          * The senior choir invites any member of the congregation who enjoys sinning to join the choir.
          * At the evening service tonight, the sermon topic will be ?What is Hell?? Come early and listen to our choir practice.
          * During the absence of our pastor, we enjoyed the rare privilege of hearing a good sermon when A. B. Doe supplied our pulpit.
          * The Rev. Adams spoke briefly, much to the delight of his audience.
          * The church is glad to have with us today as our guest minister the Rev. Shirley Green, who has Mrs. Green with him. After the service we request that all remain in the sanctuary for the Hanging of the Greens.
          * The eighth graders will be presenting Shakespeare?s Hamlet? in the church basement on Friday at 7 p.m. The congregation is invited to attend this tragedy.
          * The 1991 Spring Council Retreat will be hell May 10 and 11.
          * Pastor is on vacation. Massages can be given to church secretary.
          * Please join us as we show our support for Amy and Alan in preparing for the girth of their first child.
          * Scouts are saving aluminum cans, bottles and other items to be recycled. Proceeds will be used to cripple children.

Dumb Government Travel Requests:
          A Washington, DC, airport ticket agent offers some examples of why our country is in trouble!
          1. I had a New Hampshire Congresswoman ask for an aisle seat so that her hair wouldn?t get messed up by being near the window. (On an airplane!)
          2. I got a call from a candidate?s staffer, who wanted to go to Capetown, I started to explain the length of the flight and the passport information, then she interrupted me with, ?I?m not trying to make you look stupid, but Capetown is in Massachusetts.? Without trying to make her look stupid, I calmly explained, ?Cape Cod is in Massachusetts, Capetown is in South Africa? Her response ? click.
          3 A senior Vermont Congressman called, furious about a Florida package we did. I asked what was wrong with the vacation in Orlando. He said he was expecting an ocean-view room. I tried to explain that?s not possible, since Orlando is in the middle of the state. He replied, ?Don?t lie to me, I looked on the map and Florida is a very thin state!? (OMG)
          4. I got a call from a lawmaker?s wife who asked, ?Is it possible to see England from Canada?? I said, ?No.? She said, ?But they look so close on the map.? (OMG, again!)
          5. An aide for a cabinet member once called and asked if he could rent a car in Dallas. When I pulled up the reservation, I noticed he had only a 1-hour layover in Dallas. When I asked him why he wanted to rent a car, he said, ?I heard Dallas was a big airport, and we will need a car to drive between gates to save time.? (Aghhhh)
          6. An Illinois Congresswoman called last week. She needed to know how it was possible that her flight from Detroit left at 8:30 am got to Chicago at 8:33 am. I explained that Michigan was an hour ahead of Illinois, but she couldn?t understand the concept of time zones. Finally, I told her the plane went fast, and she bought that.
          7 A New York lawmaker called and asked, ?Do airlines put your physical description on your bag so they know whose luggage belongs to whom?? I said, ?No, why do you ask?? She replied, ?Well, when I checked in with the airline, they put a tag on my luggage that said (FAT), and I?m overweight. I think that?s very rude!? After putting her on hold for a minute while I looked into it (I couldn?t stop laughing), I came back and explained the city code for Fresno, CA is (FAT ? Fresno Air Terminal), and the airline was just putting a destination tag on her luggage.
          8.. A Senator?s aide called to inqu ire about a trip package to Hawaii. After going over all the cost info, she asked, ?Would it be cheaper to fly to California, and then take the train to Hawaii??
          9. I just got off the phone with a freshman Congressman who asked, ?How do I know which plane to get on?? I asked him what exactly he meant, to which he replied, ?I was told my flight number is 823, but none of these planes have numbers on them.?
          10. A lady Senator called and said, ?I need to fly to Pepsi-Cola , Florida . Do I have to get on one of those little computer planes?? I asked if she meant fly to Pensacola , Fl. on a commuter plane. She said, ?Yeah, whatever, smarty!?
          11. A senior Senator called and had a question about the documents he needed in order to fly to China. After a lengthy discussion about passports, I reminded him that he needed a visa. ?Oh, no I don?t. I?ve been to China many times and never had to have one of those.? I double checked, and sure enough, his stay required a Visa. When I told him this he said, ?Look, I?ve been to China four times and every time they have accepted my American Express!?
          12. A New Mexico Congress woman called to make reservations, ?I want to go from Chicago to Rhino, New York.? I was at a loss for words. Finally, I said, ?Are you sure that?s the name of the town?? ?Yes , what flights do you have?? replied the lady. After some searching, I came back with, ?I?m sorry, Ma?am, I?ve looked up every airport code in the country and can?t find a Rhino anywhere.? The lady retorted, ?Oh, don?t be silly! Everyone knows where it is. Check your map!? So I scoured a map of the state of New York and finally offered, ?You don?t mean Buffalo, do you?? The reply ?Whatever! I knew it was a big animal.?
          af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

af Sat 13 July

Hey Abbers what's happening?
            Came over here as the Army are all having a lie- in it seems
            any food Mick ?

Comment

af Sat 13 July

hiya Satzy ..hows you doing...plenty o scran help yersel.....what are you up to today? weather over here now is 22 degs..they ? reckon we are going to get a storm.
              af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

af Sat 13 July

Cat - sorry about the nose. How ghastly. I hope Its mainly swelling and you will have the original snout back as before. Take care my dear

Mick - yep the govt and public attitude to curbing the destruction of ooze and cigs is infuriating. Can also add gambling into the mix as well.
                And I feel also for the poor buggers who are trying to get medical recognition for drugs that can help AL addiction (I mean those on baclofen). It's not MWO but it seems to be a drug that helps some - albeit with side effects.
                And also the lack of rehab facilities in some countries - like NZ. There is a rehab place here that charges through the nose - we can't claim that kind of rehab on health care. Yet even that particular clinic basically falls back on 12 step AA. Which is free. So work that one out.

Comment

af Sat 13 July

Booze not ooze! Auto correct to blame

Comment

af Sat 13 July

Good morning Abbers!

Still stuck in this crappy weather pattern - hot, humid & way too much rain.
                    My veggie plants disappeared in my garden this week as the weeds have taken over
                    They are talking about temps near 100 degrees all next week, yuck

Greetings TT, I hope you are treading carefully on the ice! I should send you some of my guided meditations. They're great for turning off the monkey mind

Great to see you June, SF & Cat! So sorry about the nose Cat - ouch! I would be spending the weekend with an ice pack & a bottle of Motrin. Hope you feel better soon!

Mick, your neighbor sounds a lot like my neighbor who also happens to be my brother-in-law.
                    I keep my distance, believe me!
                    Are you going to have a hospital stay after your surgery or are you going to be sent home the same day? Things have changed so much in the past 10 years around here.

Hiya Satz!

Nae kids here today Mick - at least that's the plan so far :H
                    Too crappy out to do anything outside so I guess I'll attack the dog hair & dust problem in my house!

Have a great AF Saturday everyone!
                    Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

af Sat 13 July

hidy ho Abanators across the wild frontier!

actually got some sleep, yay. and I'm ooze free! LOL love that TTops

I got a message from our struggling member Morrisson that he's back on the AF wagon. yay! hopefully I can get him back on MWO soon to rejoin our fun and frollicking ways.

off for a hike in the desert....

be well everyone
                      nosce te ipsum
                      (Know Thyself)

Comment

af Sat 13 July

Cat a broken nose! Yikes. I still have a ridge where mine was broken as a kid. I remember having two black eyes for weeks.

Yes, the double edged sword with this drug. Many praise it....at the same time will say awful things about a person who has a problem. I also noticed that people are encouraged to give up smoking, sugar, caffeine, discouraged to workout......but, if someone says they gave up drinking.....the first response is "why the hell would you do that?"

Mick...when they want to build a stadium in most cities they will incorporate a "Sin Tax" on booze and cigarettes. Cigarettes are hit harder....because they are seen worse than al. What I find interesting is the smokers pay for it.....but the drinkers cause all kinds of mayhem during a game....and dui's after one.

And nobody blinks an eye when someone says they can't go 12 hours without a drink.

Good luck on the surgery. Enjoy your time until then.

Being tired and irritable are just a part of life. I almost considered dropping out of anatomy....but realized I will feel a huge sense of accomplishment when I complete the class.

I ran across a thread from Men's Health on hangover cures. Most I had never heard of, the lengths people would go through to avoid a hangover.....people who said "not to drink"....were slammed big time.

TT......here after the initial detox the majority of rehabs center around AA. Most tell me they wish they had just gone to AA for free. Centers that have other approaches are usually not covered by insurance and cost an arm and a leg. I think if someone truly needs removed from their environment rehab is probably the best. I just think options should be given to people....but rehabs and courts still rely on AA. One gal in my Celebrate group was told that Celebrate would not approved for attendance at self help group by the court.

Lav....I am so glad you took the humidity back. We usually don't get that many humid days....and they were never ending. I can take the heat, I can't take the humidity.

Well it's a "Hot Yoga" class today. 105 degrees for an hour. Then taking my 12 year old to Whole Foods. He has a case of teenager mouth and attitude. It needs to be addressed. I don't like how my hubby is handling it (yelling and IMO comments that could damage his soul).....I don't expect it just to end. Just a firm talking of actions have consequences.

Comment

af Sat 13 July

hi everybody,cat sorry about your nose,ouch! mick im actually doing very well,thank you for asking,its funny i told one of my customers i quit drinking beer and was shocked and asked if i drank other forms of al,i said no,and he just couldnt believe anyone wouldnt want to drink something,i told him it makes me sick now so i avoid it,and yes they should raise taxes on it,al is soooo cheap here in vegas its disgusting! everybody have a fun,safe,sober weekend
                          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

af Sat 13 July

Hi Pauly, it's great to see you on this thread, too, and it sounds like you are doing really well. Congrats on that!

Feel bad today - the broken nose came with whiplash, so I have a bad headache and dizziness. Bruising and swelling are there but not awful. I already had a bump from breaking it as a child, so I intend to do the right follow-up this time.

Mick and Det, if I got an ice cream maker, it would be all over and a nightly indulgence. I'm going to try the Cherry Garcia, but borrow the equipment.

Sleeply and foggy in my head, so I'll sign off.

Cat
                            "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

af Sat 13 July

get some rest cat
                              I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                              Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X