af Mon 15 July

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

af Mon 15 July

MAE - another working week - but a sober week. Also its the school holidays and I'm really enjoying my daughter's company. We were planning to do a road trip for a day or so but the weather and roads are too dangerous at the moment - also my job calls.
    :bananacomputer: I had lots of hassles on the computer yesterday - not my machine but a programme I have to use for work.

SF - well done you on handling the issues with son and hubby. I have found it hard to not argue with my partner about our daughter - even when we are on the same page. We approach things differently and I have to admit sometimes he makes sense:H

Lots of posting over the weekend - even from the two injured ones. Hope you are on the mend Cat and PPQP - sorry that you twisted your neck. Not good at all.

Pauly - you sound like a chirpy bird and I hope we see you here a lot more. Yep, as Cinders described in gruesome detail - the memories of what we have done when drunk are so yucky, and they also effect others so much. Don't worry about the boozers around you - thats their nightmare - and you just get on with taking care of Pauly.:banana:

Blondie - just read an article about underage drinking Australia and Western Australia gets a special mention. The article singled out the link between advertising, cheap booze and youth binge drinking. No Brainer there.

I hear you Lav - on waiting on the troops to rise from bed. I had the same thing with banana pancakes yesterday.

Mick - must be Sunday evening now. Hope you had a good day - despite the heat. How's the Royal name going? Michael or Michelle perhaps???

Hi there Bear, Det, Yah yah the dancing queen andI bet I forgot someone. Gidday June!
    Have to run now - work to prepare - daughter still sound asleep but teenagers need that!
    Be good for the sober revolution!

af Mon 15 July

thanks TTops! it's not Monday yet here but I wanted to plant a pretty picture to start things right.
    this is the night sky as seen from a night vision device I attached to my iphone a couple nights ago.
    without the NVD there were a small fraction of stars. now you can see the Milky Way etc. ok everyone, you have 1 minute to count all the stars!
    Mick, please tell us what the lucky winner will receive?

ps... get about 5 feet from the screen for this to look right

nosce te ipsum
    (Know Thyself)

Comment

af Mon 15 July

Oh Det. I want one of those!!!! (OK, might have to get an iPhone first? :H) That is a fantastic pic. 689.7 trillion? Do I win?!

Hi TT - can't believe it's snowy down there. Wouldn't mind a little glimpse of the snow.

Perth - there does seem to be a lot of ooze and drug problems here. I thought it was more drugs. Although only a small city (and very spread out along the coastal plain), the CBD isn't very well managed, so it does get badly congested. Added to the fact there's a great deal of roadworks and building, it's pretty awful. But I'm happy wherever I live. Though I really do want an island

Have given away about 50kg of mandarins and there's still plenty to go. I've started freezing them now. I'm going to try a mandarin cake (though we're not sweet tooth people and I'm not a baker - recipe for disaster!)

Busy weekend doing a training course to try and get some new skills. Have dumped the Coke Zero and am loving sparkling water with fresh lemon juice (have an abundance of them, but no problems using them up!)

Well, will head back to see how everyone's been. Have a super sober one

Comment

af Mon 15 July

Blondie - it aint snowing now where I live.
        With all those lemons and mandarins you could do some Middle Eastern cooking. Mandarins go well in Tangine-type dishes. You could also preserve (in salt) the lemons if you had several more hours in the day - or a slave to do it for you!
        Jamie Oliver has some quick recipes for tangines I believe

Nice pic Det! Nighty-nite:bedtime:

Comment

af Mon 15 July

Mae, all.

Det, beautiful picture! Thanks for sharing. When I lived in West Texas, out in the middle of nowhere, the night sky was always amazing. I miss that.

Lav, I'm sorry you are having such a miserable summer for weather.

I have felt really poorly all weekend. It made me think about boxers and abused women - how awful. I'm not dizzy anymore, just a dull headache and feeling off - I definitely got whiplash. So a few more days I should be better. Thank you so much for your kind words, everyone. It's still very swollen, so not sure if I can go to the doc tomorrow or not - a sea of conflicting advice on this.

I went to Whole Foods to buy the tumeric/bromelein blend, and was talked into purchasing "Wobensym" which is an enzyme formula (with bromelein but no tumeric). I'm going to give this a try. I did buy some lovely curry power with plenty of tumeric in in it - think I'll make some curry chicken tomorrow. But to be realistic, I won't eat curry often enough for it to be therapeutic, so I might add tumeric later. For now, I'm going to try this Wobensym. Anyone tried it?

Det, thank you as always for your nutrition advice.

Cat
          "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

af Mon 15 July

MAE everyone...Monday morning at 0655 and I see the world has started without me!!!the upside downey people..ok can excuse them...but Cat how comes you are up so early? you moved without telling us?:H
            Yet another hotday scheduled over here..its supposed to be like this for another couple of weeks..hmm soon be a hosepipe ban!!!

right on we go....tea coffee and water on the go

Morning SF how are you today?did you have that talk with hubby? reading that reminded me of Amy...when she did something wrong I used to go off on one, even when things had calmed down..until Julie basically told me to shutup..we have the right to moan and gob off, but sometimes we do abuse the privilege!! As for the beer. and your drinking friends.its just like politicians.... lets put different pairs of glasses on ,till we see the picture we want!!!

Morning Lav..hows you?still feel like a prisoner??well heres some coffee to see you through....Today is one of your kid watching days so no doubt things will liven up!!

Morning YAH ..how are you?hows the garden going?good I hope .Had my first red tomatoes the other day ...really nice,so far this year have had, lettuce (4 different types) tomatoes ,cucumbers,courgettes ,cabbage,beetroot,rocket sage chives rosemary parsley,radish,spring onions..still got spinach ,brussel sprouts onions kale onions broad beans cauliflower garlic sweet peppers and chilli peppers coming through!!I have grown one squash plant and so far its doing ok.

Hiya Cinders,how are you today? wow hope all the kids dont all turn up at once jeez!fists and fur!!I remeber us talking about our daughter years ago,and saying all we can do is try our best and get her through without getting involved in drugs or anything like that..which when you look at it ,is a pretty shit reflection on the state of the world as it is,but all you can do is your best..fortunately (to our knowledge only) she isnt into anything like that, but you never know..
            Like your husband Im 5 ft 8 (its great to hear someone talking in real money rather than so many cms!!)..and again when I was younger,used to box,and in the army,my nose got broken on more than one occasion so I obviously wasnt that smart!!

Hiya ppqp...took me ages to workout the pirated post, but it clicked..hope fully your back will have too..how are you today?Is the stampede still on? did the flooding have any effect on it?have a coffee and mull over whats on the cards for today..you take it easy

Morning det..hows you today? great app that ..can you get it for Android phoneswhat were you shooting?Do you warm the guns up pre sale or is it just for your own enjoyment?Just go no comment if Im being too nosey!!Used to watch that Sons of Guns programme ,Red Jacket...some of the builds they did were pretty good ..think the whole business is in the daughters name as I read somewhere that he wasnt allowed a licence due to some charge in the past.You have a great day

Hiya Pauly ..lovely to see you again..what a brill way to look at it as opposed to counting days..yes the crap is still there at times ..whether sober or drunk ...its a lot easier to handle sober though!!

Evening tt....how are you?Royal names?? faves at the mo are Victoria ,Elizabeth,Albert,George..see any trend here??be ace if she chose something like butterfly or nemesis!!!Enjoy your time with your daughter..its precious...now what film did I hear tha phrase in??

Hiya Cat...hoe you are feeling better :l I would go to the docs any way just to make sure take it easy anyway.

Blondie ..any chance of some of those mandarins? I love them...and lemons ...wouldnt say I was sour faced, but when I eat a lemon ..they screw up their faces!!!

right peeps off we go stay good,stay safe ,stay sober HAND

a/img9/32/j39d.jpg" alt="" />

UNIVERSITY ENTRANCE EXAM
            SEC FOOTBALL PLAYER VERSION
            (Time Limit: 3 Weeks)
            1. What language is spoken in France?
            2. Give a dissertation on the ancient
            Babylonian Empire with particular
            reference to architecture, literature,
            law and social conditions
            -OR-
            give the first name of Pierre Trudeau.
            3. Would you ask William Shakespeare to:
            (a) build a bridge
            (b) sail the ocean
            (c) lead an army or
            (d) WRITE A PLAY
            4. What religion is the Pope? (please check
            only one answer)
            (a) Jewish
            (b) Catholic
            (c) Hindu
            (d) Polish
            (e) Agnostic
            5. Metric conversion. How many feet is
            0.0 meters?
            6. What time is it when the big hand is
            on the 12 and the little hand is on the 5?
            7. How many commandments was Moses given?
            (approximately)
            8. What are people in America?s far north
            called?
            (a) Westerners
            (b) Southerners
            (c) Northerners
            9. Spell ? Bush, Carter and Clinton
            10. Six kings of England have been called
            George, the last one being George the
            Sixth. Name the previous five.
            11. Where does rain come from?
            (a) Macy?s
            (b) a 7-11
            (c) Canada
            (d) the sky
            12. Can you explain Einstein?s Theory
            of Relativity?
            (a) yes
            (b) no
            13. What are coat hangers used for?
            14. The Star Spangled Banner is the National
            Anthem for what country?
            15. Explain Le Chatelier?s Principle of
            Dynamic Equilibrium
            -OR-
            spell your name in BLOCK LETTERS.
            16. Where is the basement in a three story
            building located?
            17. Which part of America produces the
            most oranges?
            (a) New York
            (b) Florida
            (c) Canada
            (d) Wisconsin
            18. Advanced math.
            If you have three apples how many apples
            do you have?
            19. What does NBC (National Broadcasting Corp.)
            stand for?
            *You must answer three or more questions
            correctly to qualify*

It was early spring in British Columbia
            A Frenchman hired three Indians to do some tracking for him while he hunted bear.
            A few hours into the trip through the mountains they came upon a cave and all stopped.
            One of the Indians steps forward and yells, ?WOO-WOOO!? There was a similar response from in the cave. He then tore all his clothes off and ran into the cave.
            Another couple of hours goes by, another cave. They all stop. The second Indian yells ?WOO-WOOO!? And again ?woo-wooo!? was heard from the cave. He rips off his clothes and darts into the cave.
            Now the Frenchman was very curious and asks ?What da devil is going on????
            The third Indian explains, ?It Indian mating season. When you give mating call and it returned mean available female in cave.?
            A little while later, a third cave, a third call, a third response. The clothes are off, the Indian is gone.
            ?Well dare ain?t gonna be no huntin now? the Frenchman thinks to himself. So along the trail the Frenchman sees a big cave and goes ?WOO-WOOO!? No response ?WOO-WOOO!?? Hesitation? Then ?woo-wooooo!? From in the cave. The Frenchman rips off all his clothes and runs full speed into the cave.
            The next day in the Vancover Times, headlines read:
            NAKED FRENCHMAN KILLED BY TRAIN

McQuillan walked into a bar and ordered martini after martini, each time removing the olives and placing them in a jar. When the jar was filled with olives and all the drinks consumed, the Irishman started to leave. ?S?cuse me,? said a customer, who was puzzled over what McQuillan had done. ?What was that all about??
            ?Nothing,? said the Irishman, ?my wife just sent me out for a jar of olives.?

The teacher of the earth science class was lecturing on map reading. After explaining about latitude, longitude, degrees and minutes the teacher asked, ?Suppose I asked you to meet me for lunch at 23 degrees, 4 minutes north latitude and 45 degrees, 15 minutes east longitude???
            After a confused silence, a voice volunteered, ?I guess you?d be eating alone.?

An eccentric philosophy professor gave a one question final exam after a semester dealing with a broad array of topics.
            The class was already seated and ready to go when the professor picked up his chair, plopped it on his desk and wrote on the board: ?Using everything we have learned this semester, prove that this chair does not exist.?
            Fingers flew, erasers erased, notebooks were filled in furious fashion. Some students wrote over 30 pages in one hour attempting to refute the existence of the chair. One member of the class however, was up and finished in less than a minute.
            Weeks later when the grades were posted, the rest of the group wondered how he could have gotten an ?A? when he had barely written anything at all. His answer consisted of two words:
            ?What chair??

Clinton shorts..oldies
            Asked about his views on euthanasia, Clinton replied, ?Youth in Asia are just like kids everywhere else.?
            When Clinton was asked what he thought about foreign affairs, he replied, ?I don?t know. I never had one.?
            Clinton?s mother prayed fervently that Bill would grow up and be president. So far, half of her prayer has been answered.
            The American Indians have nicknamed Bill Clinton as ?Walking Eagle? because he is so full of shit that he can?t fly.
            Clinton is doing the work of 3 men: Larry, Curly, and Moe!
            President Clinton confounded critics when his job approval rating went up to 69%. ?It?s no secret why most Americans love him. He?s the only person on TV who?s not talking about Monica Lewinsky.?

Sam and Becky are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary. Sam says to her, ?Becky, I was wondering ? have you ever cheated on me??
            Becky replies, ?Oh Sam, why would you ask such a question now? You don?t want to ask that question??
            ?Yes, Becky, I really want to know. Please??
            ?Well, all right. Yes, 3 times??
            ?Three? Well, when were they?? he asked.
            ?Well, Sam, remember when you were 35 years old and you really wanted to start the business on your own and no bank would give you a loan? Remember, then one day the bank president himself came over the house and signed the loan papers, no questions asked??
            ?Oh, Becky, you did that for me! I respect you even more than ever, to do such a thing for me. So, when was number 2??
            ?Well, Sam, remember when you had that last heart attack and you were needing that very tricky operation, and no surgeon would touch you? Then remember how Dr. DeBakey came all the way up here, to do the surgery himself, and then you were in good shape again??
            ?I can?t believe it! Becky, you should do such a thing for me, to save my l ife. I couldn?t have a more wonderful wife. To do such a thing, you must really love me darling. I couldn?t be more moved. So, all right then, when was number 3??
            ?Well, Sam, remember a few years ago, when you really wanted to be president of the golf club and you were 17 votes short..??

When I was younger I hated going to weddings. It seemed that all of my aunts and the grandmotherly types used to come up to me, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, ?You?re next.?
            They stopped that crap after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

The Indians asked their Chief in autumn if the winter was going to be cold or not. Not really knowing an answer, the chief replies that the winter was going to be cold and that the members of the village were to collect wood to be prepared.
            Being a good leader, he then went to the next phone booth and called the National Weather Service and asked, ?Is this winter to be cold??
            The man on the phone responded, ?This winter is going to be quite cold indeed.?
            So the Chief went back to speed up his people to collect even more wood to be prepared. A week later he called the National Weather Service again, ?Is it going to be a very cold winter??
            ?Yes?, the man replied, ?it?s going to be a very cold winter.?
            So the Chief goes back to his people and orders them to go and find every scrap of wood they can find. Two weeks later he calls the National Weather Service again: ?Are you absolutely sure that the
            winter is going to be very cold??
            ?Absolutely,? the man replies, ?the Indians are collecting wood like crazy!?
            af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

af Mon 15 July

Morning Abbers,

Hot & humid everyday this week ~ I'm not especially pleased with that forecast but can't do a thing about it can I? :H

Det, nice pic! The moon was especially pretty last night. I pointed it out to my grandsons last night as they were leaving

Greetings TT & blondie!

Cat, I read about Wobensym quite a while ago but don't know anyone who has tried it. I just know my daughter has had fantastic relief from the turmeric/bromelain supplement. Hope you get some relief

Mick, I stepped outside last evening, parted the tall weeds in my garden & found two zucchini the size of torpedoes :H :H Damn all the rain & heat :H

Wishing everyone a great AF Monday! My extreme granddaughter watching begins again at 3 pm so I need to get to work.

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

af Mon 15 July

MAE ALL...

TT...it's me you've forgot. :H Good decision on postponing the road trip, we have enough to deal with without looking for trouble. Enjoy your daughter time.

Det...hope you had a relaxing day, I know I did. Can I have another minute please, I'm not done counting.

Blondie...hope the training course went well. I'm still having a tough time giving up my coke, a girls got to have some vices.

CB...hope you're feeling better soon. Even with all that sea of advice, you do what you feel is right for you. I do feel there's no harm in getting checked out though. See, more advice. Good luck with the Wobensym, hope it does the trick.

Mick...thanks for the coffee. The back seems ok so far today. Yesterday it was feeling ok and then I think I over did it so will still take it easy today. Stampede wrapped up yesterday with overall attendance down about 300,000. That's amazing as 2 weeks prior to opening the entire area was under water. They weren't able to open the Saddledome so the major concerts and some events were cancelled. Wonder what our football team is going to do as that's where they were housed. Easy day ahead as I've decided the seniors are going back to Banff and have received all the necessary confirmations. Just have to put the advertising together. Enjoy your day, we've already been through our hosepipe ban.

Lav...I could use your zucchini at our harvest festival as I doubt if we'll have any ready. Too bad the heat and humidity don't aid in weight loss. Make sure you rest up after work and before the g/daughter arrives.

Off to get my second cuppa and read the jokes before work. I've already gotten half way through them. Have a great AF Monday all and all to come....PPQP

Comment

af Mon 15 July

Lav - two words: zuchini bread! A great use for those excessive large specimens.

PPQP, I'm sorry you are injured also. It sounds like work is going really well, though. That is terrific.

I won't chime in on weather. We live in Paradise in that regard.

Cat
                  "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

af Mon 15 July

Mick...yes talked with hubby. As parents we fall into bad habits as well. My hubby was 5 of 7 boys....so his parents really did not parent him. My parents did not really parent either. Dysfunction and also generational thing. Used to be if you got them to 18 alive you were a success.

So much more is expected of us as parents......as children are expected to have so many more skills when reaching. 18, than when either of us grew up. I don't let all the parenting BS get to me.....but, there are things I wished I learned as a child.....and working on instilling those.

Cat-glad you are feeling better.

Lav....it is back to humid today. I ran out for lunch before it got too bad.....to get all the way there and realize I forgot my wallet! Came back to office.....but there is no way I am going back out there until I am leaving for the day....may be a bit early....I am starving!

Pool tonight for sure.

Comment

af Mon 15 July

PPQP. I did mention you. Briefly, but I did! Wouldn't forget you!

Comment

af Mon 15 July

hey everyone - I've decided to give being AF a break for now - I just have too much on my plate. I need to stop smoking,lose weight,just started CBT and I feel these are bigger goals right now.I keep lapsing as there is too much - and I keep feeling like a loser each time I do/also need to be here when I am 100% committed.

I send to all of you lots of good thoughts and wishes, you have all been an inspiration and a source of support for me. I may well be back but for now I need to take a step back.
                        one day at a time

Comment

af Mon 15 July

Bear, we are here when you want to join us. This doesn't work if you are not fully committed, because if you leave yourself the option to drink, you will! I would share, though, that the challenges of life got infinitely simpler once I went AF. In fact, I could not have tackled them while still drinking.

Best,
                          Cat

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

af Mon 15 July

TT :sorry: you did so mention me. :H Sometimes I'll read a post referring to someone else's post and go wait a minute I didn't read that. Upon second reading it hits me in the face. Unless they're referring to a post on a different thread...that really throws me.

CB...thanks and you're right work is going really well.

Bear...I agree with CB, we'll be here when you're ready. Actually you'll probably find you can't get us out of your thoughts so it may be too late already. :H Remember, lurking's free and nobody even has to know. :h safe journey.

Home early from work, got it all done and time to relax. Boss taking me out for my January 5th Birthday lunch tomorrow...better late than never. Think I'll bring along some jokes.....PPQP

Comment

af Mon 15 July

SF...I am 4 out of 8 and there was very little parenting going on at home. I don't know if you get the same TV commercials as I do but there's one...Dinner's Ready and you see the kid grow up with his Mom giving him the meal all the time. Tag line being...have we really taught them all they need to know? That one really brings on the guilt trip but as a single parent of a 1 & 2 year old I know I did the best I could. And when I talk to the boys they say there isn't anything in their childhood that they would change. And the guilt dissolves.

When I moved out I wondered why there wasn't any toilet paper in the cupboard! :shocked:

Comment

Working...
                              X