Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

af Thur 18 July

MAE abberoos! Thought I better start the thread before Mick goes awol!:H
    You all seem to be doing well despite the heat and the job hassles, including noise.

Yes, Yah Yah I was wondering about those who were posting and then have stopped. Kuya comes to mind but that was because of the moderators here. I still don't know the full story and my curiosity continues... LTLW seems to have stopped since going on holiday but that was a while back. And when I started on this thread CanToo was a regular. There was another in Malaysia who posted for a while and another New Zealand expatriate I think.

I better go as I have to get ready for work so apologies for not doing the 'roll of horrors' :H. Will leave that to others.

Have a great sober Thursday when it comes.
    Keep drinking that iced water - but I will stick to hot drinks here!

af Thur 18 July

Hi TT

Hot drinks in order here too - frost on ground this am, but it does mean beautiful clear night skies. Yip - missing Kuya too; and cantoo and Shue

PPQ - loved the corn cob cartoon; how do you find these?

Cindi - feeling super these days. Making choices to be happy. Simple as that :H Great work on the new contacts - hope they translate into solid contracts. Good luck with the racoon; all these creatures are so cute until you have to live with them

Mick - great going no op route. Yes, I am(was) a Divemaster. Not been for yonks though. OK, major clue from you there. Do you teach diving/swimming?! Photos of goods when I can find a transport company who wants to travel 50kms to pick up heavy objects. Sheesh, you'd think I'm asking them to drive to Darwin to pick them up. Plus they're too heavy for those who advertise moving that sort of thing! I know, shouldn't have bid on them if I couldn't get transport, but something will turn up :H

YaH - good luck with the interview. All go in Yahville!

Lav - The terrible twos times two! You'll be needing espressos soon !
    3June - 25k is great - is is flat or are there hills? I'm a wuss with hills. And heat (and cold...)
    SF - you're sounding great these days. I keep some money or a card in my pocket now for those forgetful moments at shops!
    Turn - great to see you
    Hi Det - in sunny CA!
    Started on Jason Vale's 14 day juicing today as it's only a couple of weeks till I'm on holiday (I use that term loosely!) Didn't notice those muffin-tops under the wooly layers :H

Oh and finally, heard this on the radio this am: When the going gets rough, take it on the chin with the rest of us... (it was a quote from the Bible, but not sure from where) but thought it appropriate (and I see Mary in AA thread mentions about taking life on life's terms.)
    Toodle pip abbers

Comment

af Thur 18 July

Mae, everyone.

Turnagain, I know what you mean about time zone differences. One of the things I like about this thread is that we are scattered. I'm usually closing out the day with Det. I go back & forth between which day I post on. I will tell you that folks are lovely about checking the prior day, and bringing me along. We'll do the same for you if you post.

Speaking of missing members......well, I went AWOL for a time from the thread; perhaps some of our other posters are coming back, too. I wonder about Scottish Lass - she lives near me, and I miss her. Kuya, we miss you, too.

I heard a line on a t.v. show recently that still resonates:

"It takes an addict to save an addict."

K9, Byrdie, Lav, Lola, Starfish, RunningCourage, Fin, Kuya, Mick, Det, Cantoo, SL, SF, YahYah, TT, PPQP, Blondie, Cinders, Nurdl (and anyone I missed), thank you. :h

Cat
      "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

af Thur 18 July

Cat the quote is true. Nobody can understand the struggle of this, but us.

TT-thanks for the insight on the braces. He is doing well, just a little aspirin. Did not stop him from being ready to go to church tonight. Although his teeth did hurt too much to do laundry:H. I find myself reading people's last post who have left. People leave for multiple reasons and its not always a bad thing.

Cinders....I am in TN....certainly is an off year for weather. Hope it doesn't mean we will get snow this year! Fighting with insurance companies is not fun....I have friends who have huge medical bills and they work out paying $25 a month. I hope the jobs come through...did you say you were working with your son?

Mick I don't know the money currency where you live....hope it means the fence is costing little, except for your labor. Dentist was fine....they said they could not believe how great my teeth looked for not going to a dentist for three years. Just one spot on a nerve was an issue.

YAH....hope the job turns out well for you. At least it's not corporate America....which is my life:upset: I know what you mean about your mind wanting a reward....that is why I don't count days. More on that later. . I have stayed away from big drinking events. The few things I have gone to...there were always less drinkers than drinkers.

June...I give you a lot of credit for going anyways. I never used to make any plans for the am....I pretty much knew I would feel like crap and cancel

Thanks Turn....if I never drink again it would be too soon. I know to keep a watch on my mind.

Blondie....I carry a pretty big bag so I always have my iPad and Kindle with me. I think the girl was shocked with a purse that big....how can there be no money in it:H

I have not been counting days. But I did take a desire chip when I originally went Celebrate. I was new to the program and felt it was appropriate. Tonight they handed out chips and the women next to me said I should take a 30 day one....because technically I started the program about 30 days ago....and it really helps newcomers feel encouraged when they are struggling to know who may relate to them the most.

I always hated talking to someone 20 years sober. I always felt like they could not relate. Sure enough a newcomer approached me and we had a lovely chat and I was able to help her understand that everything she is feeling is normal. Also, gave her some advice on supplements. So now I have a counter on my phone to help me keep track.

I don't know the exact date of my last drink. And I really don't think it matters. What matters is in a situation like that I can help another person. So I'll be on day 30. Honestly if I had not gone to Celebrate....I think I would have drank by now.

Comment

af Thur 18 July

MAE everyone and how are we today?all ok I hope..looked at some of the posts...talking about frosts and things...ouch!!!This country has just been put on heatwave alert..its a government thingy warnig people that it may be hot..oh really?and what do you think for the last 2 weeks...snow blizzards!!!
          Went to the docs last night..basically he said you dont need surgey ..dont go,just keep doing the exercises..he was well impressed as doc he is not a pill pusher ..in his words he is old fashioned ..suits me!!
          Well today ..fence building ..last panel being made looks better than it did..right tea and coffee.

Morning tt..yes here I am ..hows you today?more busy busy?Yes there are lot of people over time disappear,some because of good reasons ,some not so good..dont know if shue, cantoo ,ltlw etc are in touch with anyone, I know Kuya is...you could look at it like this ..learning to drive a car Getting lessons,then passing your test,once you have done that you dont go back to the instructor,maybe its viewed like that.

Hiya blondie ...frost..whats that all about?hmmm there is a very tenuous link between what I do now on my days out ,its not teaching diving or anything to do with water though..same as you ,its yonks since I dived..I was/am a dive leader/club instructor....dived all round Britain,the Keys in Florida,Turkish coast Gibraltar and the Red Sea..loved it.Used to dive with straight air..never tried rebreathers.tri mix or any of them.Got some fantastic pictures in the Red sea on a ship called the Thistlegorm..look it up.I will see if I can sort some pics out to show you

Hiya Cat..hows you today? one person you forgot to thank was someone called Catbuddy..she plays as big a part as anyone in this ,so give yourself a big pat on the back

SF ....What matters is in a situation like that I can help another person.your post..and that is exactly how I feel too.I know when my last drink was, I made it that way to remember, but you are right does it matter?it gives me so much pride to be able to say thanks but no thanks!

Hiya Cinders..you got your hiney into gear yet?Glad you are getting all those leads for your business ..well done.Have you found a way to get rid of the racoon yet? other than lead shot?

Hiya Yah ..how are you?hows business? early client..and hows the new premises? doing ok..wow so they want to interview you for the practice? best of luck to you x

June go for it well done you!!!!the more you get fit ,the more you enjoy it..well apart from a saddle sore bum!!!

Morning Lav...so hows the madhouse today then? bet the dog and chickens have packed their bags!!Have a coffee..yeh and probably some valium too!!!:H pointless asking how your day was ..ok lets ask..hows your day going to be??

Hiya Turn ..lovely to see you as always.Yes our lives are busy, but doesnt it make you wonder ..how did I do this full of booze? I was talking to someone the other day and the subject got on to booze....I mentioned that I didnt drink....she looked at me gone mad and said you must be mad..kind of looked at her and thought hmm maybe it should be you that sacked the ale...blotchy face and red eyes..either drunk quite a bit or wants to give up headbuttin cars as a hobby!!I just thought to myself ,lady you have no idea!

PPQP...you are conspicuous by your absence..morning ..brew time .you ok?

right folks ..off we go have a great day

garden as was..note the broken fencing!!

Just got to be trimmed and stained

see how much this has grown!!

and a big hello from us

My Wife gave me ?50 and told me to go out and spend the money on something that makes her look sexy.!! You should have seen her face when I came home pissed!!*

*A man and his wife were sitting in the living room discussing a
          ?Living Will?
          "Just so you know, I never want to live in a vegetative state, dependent on some machine*
          and fluids from a bottle. If that ever happens, just pull the plug."
          His wife got up, unplugged the TV and threw out all the beer.

One evening a man came home from work to find total mayhem in his house. His two children were outside, still in their pyjamas, playing in the mud, with empty food boxes and wrappers strewn all around the front garden. The door of his wife's car was open, as was the front door to the house.

Proceeding into the hall, he found an even bigger mess. The dog bed had been knocked over, and a blanket was wadded against one wall. In the lounge the TV was loudly blaring a cartoon channel, and the room was strewn with toys and various items of clothing. In the kitchen, dishes filled the sink, breakfast food was spilled on the worktop, dog food was spilled on the floor, the dishwasher door was open and clothes were piled beside the washing machine.

He quickly headed up the stairs, stepping over toys and more piles of clothes, looking for his wife. He was worried she may be ill, or that something serious had happened. He found her lounging in the bedroom, still curled in the bed in her pyjamas, reading a novel.

She looked up at him, smiled, and asked how his day went.

He looked at her bewildered and asked, "What happened here today?"

She again smiled and answered, "You know every day when you come home from work and ask me what in the world I did today?"

"Yes" was his incredulous reply.

She answered, "Well, today I didn't do it."

I had a problem yesterday, so I called Eric, the 11 year old next door, whose bedroom looks like* Mission Control and asked him to come over.
          Eric clicked a couple of buttons and solved the problem.
          As he was walking away, I called after him, 'So, what was wrong ?*
          He replied, 'It was an ID ten T error.'

I didn't want to appear stupid, but nonetheless inquired,
          'An, ID ten T error ? What's that? In case I need to fix it again.'
          Eric grinned .... 'Haven't you ever heard of an ID ten T error before ?

'No,' I replied.
          'Write it down,' he said, 'and I think you'll figure it out.' So I wrote down:

ID10T*

Three old men are sitting on the porch of a retirement home. The first says, "Fellas, I got real problems. I'm seventy years old. Every morning at seven o'clock I get up and I try to urinate. All day long I try to urinate. They give me all kinds of medicine but nothing helps."*

The second old man says, "You think you have problems. I'm eighty years old. Every morning at 8am I get up and try to move my bowels. I try all day long. They give me all kinds of stuff but nothing helps."*

Finally the third old man speaks up, "Fellas, I'm ninety years old. Every morning at 7am sharp I urinate. Every morning at 8am I move my bowels. Every morning at 9am sharp I wake up."

The nice thing about being senile is you can hide your own Easter eggs.

This year I thought I'd get into the Halloween spirit and scare the hell out of my neighbors by dressing up! I'm going as an immigration officer!

What is the most famous Mrs in America? Mississippi

My sexy Chinese neighbour told me she was desperate for a roger! It was only when i had my trousers round my ankles and my d.ck out, that I realised she wanted to rent out her spare room.

*There was a guy who was struggling to decide what to wear to go to a fancy costume party... Then he had a bright idea.
          When the host answered the door, he found the guy standing there with no shirt and no socks on.
          "What the hell are you supposed to be?" asked the host.
          "A premature ejaculation," said the man. "I just came in my pants!"

Just had my registration to an online dating website, one of the questions was, "what do you like in a woman" .....apparently "My d.ck" is not an acceptable answer

The health service in this country is a disgrace. My doctor told me to run 3 miles a day for a month. I?m now completely lost and 90 miles away from home.

My wife is so bad at cooking we usually pray after eating our food.

Just had a strange conversation with my wife about getting a home-improvement loan. She offered me $5,000 to move out.

Q. How do you know if your wife is on drugs?
          A. She suddenly becomes a pleasant person.
          Earlier this month Prince Philip sent a message to the President wishing him a happy Independence Day. His message said ?You did a great job destroying the alien mothership and humanity is forever grateful.?

Heard on the radio today that someone in the world crashes their car every 30 seconds. Maybe they should take away his licence.

I got caught licking ice cream from my girlfriends breasts the other day. I don?t know who was more embarrassed me or the staff at McDonalds.

My dishwasher broke down the other day. Hopefully when I buy her some flowers tonight she will cheer up a bit.

Why do women rub their eyes in the morning?
          Because they don?t have any balls to scratch.

Can?t believe I?ve been banned from Walmart. Apparently when the checkout girl said ?strip down facing me? she was talking about my credit card.

The following conversation took place between a couple while out shopping.
          Woman: ?Does this dress make me look fat??
          Man: ?No? But your face does.?
          Went to a positive thinking course last week, it was sh*t.

Had a really fun night out last night, there?s nothing better than manslaughter. I also enjoy hearing women laugh as well.
          af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

af Thur 18 July

Lovely pics Mick. Are those rhodos you have planted?

Comment

af Thur 18 July

tt yep..got more in the back border too ..need to be well managed
              af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

af Thur 18 July

Comment

af Thur 18 July

MAE ALL..

Sorry for being MIA yesterday...it was a day from hell...but everything is ok. Pressure is on with deadlines looming and the boss is asking for the impossible, which I diplomatically pointed out to him. Gawd, you'd think it was his first day on the job! Then the accountant showed up for work after explicitly been told she doesn't work Wed & Thu, so that was a bit of fun as it doesn't directly affect me. Then the dreaded phone call from my brother in regards to the "never ending law suit". Spent the evening at his house waiting for a conference call with our lawyer, which never came, so left for home around 11:30pm. Got home to receive an email from the lawyer at 12:15 am which clearly shows she doesn't understand what just transpired. So today will see me deal with work issues first thing this morning than preparing lawyer letter to spell out exactly what we want to happen next. I did read through the posts yesterday but to be honest I was exhausted. Sorry this post is all about me but I wanted to let you know what's going on and I will post properly once things settle down a bit.....PPQP

Comment

af Thur 18 July

Here are some "P" 's for you, PPQP. Take care of yourself. :l

I'm self-absorbed at the moment, too. In a little over an hour, I leave for my interview. Please send some good vibes my way. :l I'm actually nervous, which hasn't happened for a long time. I am convinced that I need to do this, so I am hoping that this is the opportunity that I am looking for.

I'll be back later to report back in and do a proper post.

:l
                    YahYah
                    AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

af Thur 18 July

yah best ov luck :l:goodjob:

Comment

af Thur 18 July

Thanks, Mick. Leaving now. :fingers:
                        AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

af Thur 18 July

Best wishes YAH!

I'm in and out just a quick hello. Walked 12k with my son after supper great way to connect and work off dinner. It's incredibly sticky hot today always means a busy night at work. Oh well if it weren't for emergencies I wouldn't have a job!

Enjoy your Thursday!!
                          Newbies Nest
                          Toolbox
                          My accountability thread

Comment

af Thur 18 July

af day Fri 19 July

MAE abby people! Its another drizzly day in Paradise - although I can see a large kereru (wood pigeon) in the bushes. Very eerie but atmospheric. If it were not morning it could be a a vampire set!

June - too miserable here weatherwise for a 12 km walk like you. I don't bother with keeping track of the kms usually, as we live in such a hilly place that even a short walk can be a workout. So much so that many people from here get bored walking on the flat!

Mick - I love rhodos. Continuing on the walking theme in my previous life G. and I did a wonderful mountainous trek through in Northern India/Himalayas and there were huge rhodo trees in bloom. Did you know that the sap from the flowers can make a very potent AL drink. Sherpas drink it and tourists too - actually I never tried it. I preferred my chai instead.

PPQP - can't think how to weave walking into your work and legal horrors - but don't walk away! You are a strong lady and being AF as you know gives you the edge. It really helps me in my work these days.

YAH - hope the interview goes OK and that you are back in your dancing shoes soon.

SF - how are the braces? Teenagers have a lot to deal with - much of which is out of their control. We parents (but also other adult friends/family) are so important even if we have to learn to take a back seat. You are doing a great job - even from the confines of the pool!

You too Cat - great job - being a parent, keeping off the booze and being brave with a new relationship.

Blondie - diving ay? probably too hot to go for long hikes in Western Australia for most of the time.

Cinders - hows the incipient cleaning business set-up? We have someone who comes in for a few hours a week - although I think its mainly to force us to pick up!

Hi there Det. Are you on the road at the moment? I made parsley and almond pesto last night - it was just a made up recipe - but family loved it. Had it with a little pasta, plus sole fillets and salad.

The bird in the garden has shifted - so its time for me to move my bum. Today is a day of dealing with other people's matters - some work related and some and some for family.

OK - time to fly away - flap flaparrot:

Comment

af Thur 18 July

Happy Thoisday ABerooooos!

whew! what a week. Dx got home late from her camping trip with a terrifying story to relate: she'd been in a small plane crash. eeeeeek! her and a friend were in an ultralight flying around over the desert when a strong gust nose-dived them into the ground destroying the aircraft, but thankfully both of them rolled out of the wreckage with only a bunch of bruises and cuts/scrapes. that's the kind of weird crap that usually happens to me. so glad she's ok.

in health-geek news I have an exciting discovery of a method for determining food sensitivity issues I just learned from Dave Asprey of 'the bulletproof executive'. when you eat a food that is not tolerated well by your body, your pulse rate will increase from it's normal resting level. this is very predictable and reliable way to test for food intolerance without months of trial and error. fascinating!
                              the full discussion is on podcast #50

#50 New Bulletproof iPhone App, Food Sensitivities & HRV with Ronda Collier from SweetWater Health™ – Podcast

and the link to the iphone/ipad app for quantifying such data (it's free) can be downloaded here:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/food-sense/id672068735?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

well, very glad to be home and no longer in the land of endless vineyards in Napa. it's a very pretty place and I found my sober time there to be calm and reflective, but I don't need to hang out there any more than needed. they sure have some nice restaurant and pretty flowers growing all over the place. it took me forever to walk a block since I had to stop at every flower variety and admire, smell, and photograph it. I was in full tourist mode and having fun.

PPQ glad you are enduring your ordeal in style.

back laterish

be well loves
                              nosce te ipsum
                              (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
                              X