• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another good reason to take quality Kudzu

Kudzu cuts alcohol consumption

The weed that whacks binge drinking

By William J. Cromie

Harvard News Office

The vine that ate the South has a sobering effect on binge drinkers.

Researchers at McLean Hospital in Belmont, Mass., suspected that excessive drinking might be curbed by giving drinkers an extract of kudzu, a pesky, rapidly growing weed common in the Southern states. They knew it has been used for that purpose in China since 600 A.D. More recently, other researchers at Harvard University tested it on golden hamsters, bred and born to drink alcohol, and found that it reduced the rodents' intake.

"These results prompted us to test an herbal extract of it on humans," notes Scott Lukas, professor of psychiatry at McLean, a psychiatric hospital affiliated with Harvard Medical School. He and his colleagues recruited 14 men and women, average age 24 years. The "laboratory" was an apartment where each person was allowed to drink as many beers as he or she wanted, up to a maximum of six. After determining how much each person drinks normally, half were given a capsule of kudzu or an inactive pill or placebo.
    After a so-called "washout" period, treatments were reversed. Those who had gotten the kudzu received a placebo and vice versa. Researchers who evaluated their drinking behavior did not know who received what or when.
    The results were dramatic. "Those who took kudzu drank significantly less than those on placebo," says Lukas. "Everyone took that first drink when they came to the apartment after work. But the kudzu group was slower and less likely to reach for the second or third beer. They downed an average of one or two beers while the placebo group finished three or four. Alcohol consumption was almost cut in half."
    Beyond that, those on kudzu drank more slowly. "They needed more gulps to finish each beer," Lukas continues. "That tells us they are responding to cues from their brains telling them they don't need to drink so much."
    So in the first study of its kind, the much-maligned vine shows great potential for reducing bingeing, defined as putting down five or more drinks in one sitting for a man, or four or more consecutive drinks for a woman. Bingeing is a huge problem on most college campuses. A Harvard School of Public Health survey recently found that one-third to one-half of these students admit to binge drinking, thus contributing to alcohol being the third leading cause of death and disability in the United States.

Fewer hangovers

Another plus for kudzu is a lack of side effects. "We gave our subjects a low dose for one week," Lukas explains. "Then we gave them blood and urine tests and physical exams. No changes were found. It's a wonderful result. If we raised the dose and gave it for a longer period, alcohol consumption might be decreased even more. We expect to look into this possibility."
    If people drink less, hangovers should be reduced in number and severity. "That's possible," Lukas agrees. "Drinking half the number of beers or drinks, say three or four instead of six or eight, should have a lesser effect the next day." But, he points out, there are no studies to demonstrate that kudzu would act like a morning-after pill for eliminating hangovers.
    Does this mean that students and others who wish to reduce drinking and its miserable aftermath can medicate themselves safely with the widely available herb? No, Lukas' group tried that and it didn't work.
    "We bought a variety of kudzu extracts from stores and Internet sites, tested them, and found that none of them worked, he says. "David Lee, a chemist on our research team did assays that showed these products contained less than 1 percent of active kudzu."
    Lukas' group increased the concentration to 30-40 percent, and instructed their drinkers to take two of the pills three times a day. Commercial sellers of kudzu advise people to take many more doses a day. "These products also contain lots of protein and starch," Lukas notes. "They are as filling as a meal and so reduce your desire to drink as much alcohol as you might do normally."

How it works

The fast-growing plant was first brought to the United States from Japan in the 1920s as a way to hold down soil erosion. No one realized that kudzu would lack the kind of natural enemies that keep it in check in Asia - insects and climate. Its quickness to overgrow everything that doesn't move led people to call it "the vine that ate the South."
    But how can an extract of it work to increase sobriety? The short answer is that no one knows. The McLean study was not designed to answer that question. The long answer is a theory that the herb can make alcohol go to your head faster.
    In China, high concentrations of one of Kudzu's active ingredients (puerarin) are used medically to increase blood flow to the brain and heart, particularly in emergencies. "Wherever blood goes, alcohol goes," Lukas explains. "We think that this triggers a quicker response. The brain says 'enough' in less time. People feel satisfied on fewer beers.
    "Kudzu is not going to take someone who drinks 30 beers a week and turn him or her into a teetotaler, but you might go from 30 to 15 a week. It's not a panacea or a magic bullet, but it looks like it could be a tool for people to reduce their drinking."

Oh and of course here's the info from RJ:

Yes, the kudzu issue has been a confusing one. Let me provide some history:

By the time I developed this program (intended only for me), I had done significant research on kudzu. I had been following the animal studies here in the US and informal human trials in the UK. I had read dozens of articles about Traditional Chinese Medicine's application of kudzu as a 'drunkenness dispeller.' I was convinced this important herb would be a critical nutritional component of the therapy. But when it came time to select a product I faced similar confusion when comparing brands, dosages, etc.

To be honest, I used two different dosages of kudzu as I experimented with this program--they ranged from 450 mg. per day of kudzu extract as recommended in the book to a higher dosage of 1,500 mg. per day using a blended formula. Frankly, they both seemed to work equally well in reducing my cravings. However, it was difficult to isolate because I had started taking the All One with its amino acids, as well as the other supplements; had begun the hypnotherapy, exercise, medication, etc.

When I wrote the book I felt compelled to err on the side of safety and I worked with a highly regarded and published nutritionist who also believed it was prudent to recommend the lower 450 mg. dose. Believe it or not, this was one of the most difficult decisions I made before going to press. Many people consider all herbs "safe" because they are natural. Clearly, that isn't always the case and I felt a tremendous responsibility when recommending the program to so many other people.

Shortly after my book was published, a groundbreaking human study demonstrated kudzu's powerful ability to reduce cravings for alcohol. An Associated Press article with a brief overview is here and more detailed information can be found in our research area.

Try kudzu to help fight binge drinking - Addictions - MSNBC.com

In the double blind study, participants given kudzu took two 500-mg. capsules three times daily over a one week period. Those on kudzu drank half as much as the placebo group and reported feeling more satisfied with fewer drinks.

Given such compelling results, I felt it was appropriate to increase the recommendations for kudzu, particularly as we learned that many individuals in the MWO program wanted to opt out of taking any medication. In addition, the study reported no adverse side effects or changes to blood chemistry, liver function and urinalysis--both during the trial and four weeks later. The health care advisers and herbalists with whom I worked agreed the increase in dosage was appropriate.

For that reason, we have since increased our recommendations for short term use of kudzu to 1,000 to 3,000 mg per day but urge individuals to assess their specific health status. Information here outlines special considerations for diabetics, women with hormone-dependent conditions, men with prostate cancer, or anyone with a heart condition.

www.drugdigest.org/DD/Pri...62,00.html

So, how much kudzu to take? Again, it depends on your situation. You may wish to start with a higher dose when you begin the program and reduce the amount after the initial six week period. Our new product, Kudzu Rescue (which matches the same compound levels of puerarin, dadizin and daidzein as the clinical trial) will be available in 300 mg. capsules and we recommend taking one to three capsules three times per day. The highest dose approximates those levels used in the clinical trial. Lower doses (or no dose) may be more prudent for others.

We'll be unveiling our new website soon at www.mywayout.org and it will contain a navigation link with all program updates and recommendations. This includes information about L-Glutamine and other amino acids. We feel this will be really useful until we're able to tackle a new book release.

As always, talk with your health care provider before starting this program or taking any new medications and herbal products.

mwojewell
    :h :h :h :h

Question re wt gain

Excellent info - thank you. One question. In the info you provided there were a couple of lines that caught my attention:

~These products also contain lots of protein and starch," Lukas notes. "They are as filling as a meal and so reduce your desire to drink as much alcohol as you might do normally.~

My question is - have people noticed weight gain with kudzu? The above statement concerns me as I watch my weight and take in only so many proteins, starches, etc. daily so am wondering about that one. Other than that it sounds like a fabulous product.

One other thing that the article wasn't clear about. Is it best to take daily or only when you feel the urge? I have no problem not drinking all week. It's the good old Friday and Saturday night that get me. So, do I only need to take it then or daily?

Thank you!
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Eve,

When I first stopped drinking I was taking Kudzu three times a day for about three months, but at the same time I was pigging out on chocolate for the sugar cravings... the Kudzu was fantastic for killing the craving for a drink stone cold dead but didn't address the craving for sugar so I did put a bit more weight on...

Now I am over the sugar cravings and starting to lose weight with the help of a sensible diet and exercise...

I no longer take Kudzu on a daily basis, but I do occasionally take it if I have a day where I have more than one craving, and it still works fine...

It is important though in my opinion to take it three times a day when you first start this programme, then as I have done, as you get to know yourself better you can adjust things to the way that you want them..

Hope that helped,

Louise xx
      A F F L..
      Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

Additional info...

A member contacted me asking that I follow up on this.

The point Lukas raises regarding fillers doesn't apply to the kudzu you find in our Health Store, which was developed after (and in response to) his team's groundbreaking study. As you may have read, the Harvard research group was surprised to learn they couldn't find commercially available kudzu with proper isoflavanoid levels for their clinical trial. So they created one themselves in the lab.

We did the same thing for the public, working in partnership with a licensed herbalist and practitioner of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Ed Kasper. Our joint product is manufactured in China, where growing conditions are best suited to promote effective, standardized kudzu extract. It contains puerarin at 26.39%; daidzin, 4.58%, and daidzen, 2.12%. Again, no fillers.

And yes, many individuals find it helpful to take larger doses early in the program, then taper down as cravings are reduced. Others use it as needed or as part of a long term health maintenance plan.

Sugar cravings are absolutely normal during early stages of alcohol withdrawal. I don't know many people who escape this! Interestingly, we hear reports that Calms Forte, one of the supplements in our bundled kits, is helpful for carb and sugar craving. I included it in the program for its calming effect and to promote restful sleep. (It is not offered individually by us, but you can find it at any quality health food store or online. It's a fabulous product for everyone in the family.)

Other supplements to curb sugar cravings include GABA and 5-HTP.

Weight inevitably drops as alcohol consumption is reduced, along with the sweets. :-)

Hope this helps.

RJ
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Help keep our forum strong--make a contribution to My Way Out. Or show your support by becoming a Subscriber and enjoy enhanced features, as well!

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone. L-Glutamine in doses of 5+ grams has been shown in credible studies to greatly reduce or kill sugar and other carbohydrate cravings...and it does so in just a few minutes. Nice side-benefit to the reduction in alcohol craving.
          I'm not familiar with 5-HTP...off I go to learn more...
          nosce te ipsum
          (Know Thyself)

Comment

I could use some encouragement

:new: I am looking to begin my first day with zero drinks! Anyone with advice would be a blessing! Soloman

Comment

OK....I'm just going to head on out and nibble on the kudzu which is (BTW )STILL eating the south!
              LOL!

Mooooo!

"Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

first, thanks to everyone on all the posts, im new on here but not new totrying to stop drinking. im now taking kudzu and welcome any avice on other suppliments that can help. i dont know what calms forte are can anyone tell me whats in this as i cant seem to find it in uk, it may go by another name. i have put on laods of weight as a result of stopping and starting drinking all the time so any advice on food and sugar cravings is welcome too.

good luck and thanks to everyone for being who you are
                :new:

Comment

:welcome: Soloman!
                  Keep reading and digesting!
                  Nancy

Comment

Tricia.
                    Welcome!
                    Go to Buy Discount Vitamins, Supplements, Low Carb and More at www.Vitacost.com and I think you will find the Calms Forte.

Water water and more water...to clear the toxins out of your body..
                    HAve to read My Way Out by Roberta Jewell?
                    I think you can still download it from here. If not you can find it on Amazon.com or at Barnes and Noble.

) Nancy

Comment

In China, high concentrations of one of Kudzu's active ingredients (puerarin) are used medically to increase blood flow to the brain and heart, particularly in emergencies. "Wherever blood goes, alcohol goes," Lukas explains. "We think that this triggers a quicker response. The brain says 'enough' in less time.
                      I have also read another article that also suggests that Kudzu may work by increasing the rate at which alcohol enters the bloodstream. The theory then is that it works to make you drink less because you feel the effects faster. I'm not sure if this theory will hold true for all problem drinkers, though. I happen to be one who craves the high I get when alcohol enters my bloodstream as quickly as possible. I often wait until I am really hungry to drink and then I will drink very strong drinks (straight gin w/a splash of tonic). I realize this is very disfunctional, but I really like the way that feels. A beer is no substitute for me. I get frustrated drinking beer because I can't get that fast high that I get w/alcohol on an empty stomach. When I drink the way I do, I feel it within minutes and it is like a wave of relaxation coming over my entire body.

ANYWAY, so I'm kind of concerned if this is how Kudzu works. Seems like for someone like me, it could actually create a stronger dependence. So, at least for now, I am planning to skip the Kudzu. I'm seeing my doctor on Friday and hoping to get on Naltrexone. I think this drug is probably the right one for me since it will remove the ability for me to get the 'high' feeling which is really what I crave from alcohol.

If I was sure the Kudzu would be complimentary to the Naltrexone, then I would try it. But, it seems to me they would work against each other. Naltrexone works to eliminate the buzz, but Kudzu would be working to make the buzz come faster.

Boy, all of this is so confusing! I'm still working through all the supps to figure out what I will take. Trying to follow most of what is recommended, but substitute or skip anything that doesn't seem quite right for me.

Comment

Southern Belle, groing up in the south, I couldn't belive I had BUY and TAKE Kudzu:H :H :H : As to the other supplements.... I had someone in the small, non chain vitamin in my store recommend 5Htp, and SAMe as wel as the the L-glut and kudzu. Is that overload, or can I take 400mg SAMe mornings, 300 mgs 5htp evenings, Kudzu 3xs daily, plus the l-glut? Plus, I have Topa on order.....am I going overboard? That is my natural tendancy.... overboard...kids...pets...food...drink...supplemen ts...life:H
                        Life itself is the proper binge. Julia Child

Comment

Working...
                        X