af day Wednesday 24th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

af day Wednesday 24th

mae everybody..how are we all today?wowthought yesterday was never going to stop!!waiting for new phone to come,then daughter had an issue, so I had to go up to Sheffield..she has got one more dissertation to write,and thats her ,fully qualified midwife with a degree...she has already passed all the practical etc, but there are a few things need to be sorted ,but its best until she has got that bit of paper!Then mobile phone came...this is the replacement for the broken one..... half of it missing ,and so the story goes on.And we had brilliant thunderstorms yesterday...just what the garden needed..nice n sunny again today..

Right orf we go...tea n coffee on the go

Evening TT hows you today?glad the liver test are showing improvement ..well done to you..as for taking statins..well I guess it has got to be individual choice, but for me personally I am trying to do without them...very similar to you...history of heart disease in family , and extended family,moi..a triple stroke.(sounds like an olympic sport when you say that!!)but I do know how crap I felt when I was on statins...but who knows ? going for bloods Friday ..may have to go on them again ...havent a clue,but I will be trying my damndest not to.Did a lot of reading up on this when it went up last time,and Det has got it bang on .I guess the choice is..whatever keeps you healthy and enjoying life

hiya blondie ..and hows you this evening in upside down land? what baby??has something happened? yawn!!any plans for this evening?

Hiya Cinders...and hows things with you today?wow there is defo an opening for the surgery here with us all!!as you say tho..one size doesnt fit all..my diet nowadays cosists of mainly white meats,poultry,fish very little rd meat ,the odd binge with bread!!but yes I do eat a lot better than I used to,was going to say healthier but I am not sure that is true..in a lot of cases what is healthy for one part of the body may end up as a deficiency or a non no for another part.exercise and working play a big part in my life now too..bottom line really is we are all going to go sometime ..so make the most of each day and be happy as you can.

hiya ppqp...how are you today? hope you are feeling better....how did your yesterday go?

Hiya yah..hows you today?so said bout that friend of your daughters,and yes you are right there but for the grace...thinking back I have done some pretty stupid things in drink....and thats only the ones I can remember!!What is it with al that turns us into complete dickheads??

hiya Lav..well what was the outcome? dog versus 2 yr old?hows the extreme babysitting going?any plans for today or you kind of tied down with the creche?oh well have a brew.Yes you are right...enjoy it while you can.

hiya river ...thanks for popping in ...how are you? well done on your 5 years..dont be a stranger ..jump in any time.

Hiya SF...hows you today? any more energy?think we all go through that I know I certainly do ..its just natures way of saying I need a rest.hope you feel better

Morning Det..hows you today?still in the company of non al folks I see..that must give you a boost too.Read your post and yep read very similar before...but again its about enjoying your life..as the old saying goes ..a litlle of a lot ,not a lot of a little.

righty ho folks well lets see what today brings so lets have a good one ...take care.

not to disappoint you!!

The Royal Doctor has arrived to deliver the baby. On Her Majesty's Secret Cervix

Kate Middleton once asked the queen "What's the secret of a long life?" To which the queen replied "Wear a seat belt and don't piss me off!

!Q: What are all men looking forward to after Kate & Williams marriage? A: Licking the backside of Kate Middleton's stamp!

Q: What wedding present do most Englishmen give Kate & William? A: 20% of their earnings for the past 5 years!

Doctors have said the royal baby is 8 pounds, but you can?t really put a price on a child.

Prince William: You know it's a proven fact that women talk twice as much as men! Catherine: That's because we have to repeat everything we tell our husbands! Prince William: What? Prince Charles: "My wife's an angel!" Prince William: "You're lucky, mine's still alive."

Why did the chicken cross the road?
    Why?
    To get to your house!
    ?..
    Knock Knock
    Who?s there?
    The chicken.

What?s orange and sounds like a parrot? A carrot.

Two Irish men talking in a bar, Mick and Paddy.
    ?So Paddy what?s your ringtone?? says Mick
    ?I?ve never looked Mick but I would imagine it?s a light brown colour?.
    What?s green and smells like yellow paint?
    Green Paint
    Did you hear the latest story about some major tennis players being involved in witchcraft?? Goran, even he?s a witch.

Which day of the week do chickens hate most? Fry-day!

These are actual newspaper headlines gathered from papers across the country.
    Killer Sentenced to Die for Second Time in 10 Years
    Cancer Society Honors Marlboro Man
    Nicaragua Sets Goal to Wipe Out Literacy
    Autos Killing 110 a Day?Let?s Resolve to Do Better
    20-Year Friendship Ends at Altar
    War Dims Hope For Peace
    If Strike Isn?t Settled Quickly, It May Last A While
    Cold Wave Linked to Temperatures
    Half of U.S. High Schools Require Some Study for Graduation
    Blind Woman Gets New Kidney from Dad She Hasn?t Seen in Years

A man was driving down a local street one day and approached a stop sign. He barely slowed down and ran right through the stop sign after glancing for traffic.
    What the driver didn?t know was that a policeman was watching the intersection. The policeman pulled out after him and stopped the car two blocks away.
    Policeman: ?License, registration and proof of insurance please.?
    Driver: ?Before I give it to you, tell me what the heck you stopped me for, man.?
    Policeman: ?Watch your tone sir; you ran the stop sign back there!!?
    Driver: ?Man, I slowed down, what the heck is the difference!?!?
    The police officer pulled out his night stick and began smashing it over the man?s head and shoulders.
    Policeman: ?Now, do you want me to just slow down or stop!!!?

While crossing the US-Mexican border on his bicycle, the man was stopped by a guard who pointed to two sacks the man had on his shoulders. ?What?s in the bags??, asked the guard.
    ?Sand,? said the cyclist.
    ?Get them off ? we?ll take a look,? said the guard.
    The Cyclist did as he was told, emptied the bags, and proving they contained nothing but sand, reloaded the bags, put them on his shoulders and continued across the border.
    Two weeks later, the same thing happened. Again the guard demanded to see the two bags, which again contained nothing but sand. This went on every week for six months, until one day the cyclist with the sand bags failed to appear.
    A few days later, the guard happened to meet the cyclist downtown. ?Say friend, you sure had us crazy?, said the guard. ?We knew you were smuggling something across the border. I won?t say a word ? but what is it you were smuggling??
    ?Bicycles!?

The woman seated herself in the psychiatrists office. ?What seems to be the problem?? the doctor asked.
    ?Well, I, uh,? she stammered. ?I think I, uh, might be a nymphomaniac.?
    ?I see,? he said. ?I can help you, but I must advise you that my fee is $80 an hour.?
    ?That?s not bad,? she replied. ?How much for all night??

A very homely person made an appointment with a psychiatrist. The homely person walked into the doctor?s office and said, ?Doctor, I?m so depressed and lonely. I don?t have any friends, no one will come near me, and everybody laughs at me. Can you help me accept my ugliness??
    ?I?m sure I can.? the psychiatrist replied. ?Just go over and lie face down on that couch.?

A group of psychiatrists were attending a convention. Four of them decided to leave, and walked out together. One said to the other three, ?People are always coming to us with their guilt and fears, but we have no one that we can go to when we have problems.? The others agreed.
    Then one said, ?Since we are all professionals, why don?t we take some time right now to hear each other out??
    The other three agreed.
    The first then confessed, ?I have an uncontrollable desire to kill my patients.?
    The second psychiatrist said, ?I love expensive things and so I find ways to cheat my patients out of their money whenever I can so I can buy the things I want.?
    The third followed with, ?I?m involved with selling drugs and often get my patients to sell them for me.?
    The fourth psychiatrist then confessed, ?I know I?m not supposed to, but no matter how hard I try, I can?t keep a secret??

A woman meant to call a record store but dialed the wrong number and got a private home instead.
    ?Do you have ?Eyes of Blue? and ?A Love Supreme??? she asked.
    ?Well, no,? answered the puzzled homeowner. ?But I have a wife and eleven children.?
    ?Is that a record?? she inquired.
    ?I don?t think so,? replied the man, ?but it?s as close as I want to get.?

af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

af day Wednesday 24th

Hiya all

Mick - Sounds like you had an eventful Tuesday but good on you for going to your daughter?s rescue. Midwife ay? Just think ? one day she could be attending to royal you-know-whats? AS you probably imagine I don?t get too upset about royal jokes. Bit of a Republican household I live in! Hope you don?t get too much grief from your surgery visit ? and you are right ? we fix up one bit, and then another bit of the body goes haywire or gets affected.

My problem is that I check too much health stuff on the internet but I do have the sort of training that makes me critical of medical research and its claims (no worries with me there!). A problem is that often quite different populations are being compared and you can?t easily factor in many variables like stress or environment. I am thinking of the non- quantifiable things that Lav and we all refer to. And there are massive changes in the epidemiology of big populations (the diseases our grandparents were exposed to, their diets etc ? which were not always fabulous and often had lots of additives, pollution etc). I mean, how do you measure the stress of living through the Great Depression and World War II ? right across populations across the world, let alone within the same country? Researchers try to do this but its an on-going and still flawed process. Plus we are still just taking baby steps with genetics. What do we know about the impact on our bodies of really long-term internet use? And so on and so on and have you all gone to sleep? I can hear Det snoring!

What we do know and we are all real experts on is the effect of alcohol on our bodies, minds, lives, families, workplaces and communities. Oops I forgot pets. And we are experts on how to face up to AL abuse and for those on this thread, how to abstain for life. Let?s not loose sight of that.

So after that diatribe, (I have already mentioned Det and Mick) ? hi there to you other bloody fantastic experts ? I mean Cinders, Lav, Yah, June, Blondie, SF, Cat, PPQP, River (wow 5 years ? amazing!) and all the rest of you about to start off your Wednesday. Winding down here ? motto for tonight ?I will not go to Google?.

Comment

af day Wednesday 24th

Oops -I forgot Pauly in my list of AL experts - you are one of us too mate!:welcome:

Comment

af day Wednesday 24th

Greetings Abbers!

Happy Hump day to one & all
        Still dwelling in too much heat & humidity here - yucky.

TT, we both know Google is good for random searches for recipes & stuff like that but not so great for accurate medical info. You really have to sift through a ton of articles before you find something reliable. Trust your own instincts

Mick, sounds like your daughter is set up for a great future. Hope everything works out for her!
        The dog & the two year old both drove me crazy yesterday - so far so good today
        Thanks for the coffee as usual!

Greetings to blondie, YahYah, Det, Pauly, PQ, Cindi & everyone likely to pop in today!
        I'm escaping to Curves & the supermarket for an early morning break :H

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

af day Wednesday 24th

MAE all!

All quiet here. Resting up here for Maddie's move home this weekend. I'm sure I will be a hurting cowpoke when that is over.

I still haven't heard about the job, so I will call tomorrow. I dutifully sent in a thank you card on Monday. Otherwise I'm just trying to do what I can to market my own practice.

No legumes, huh, Det? That sucks. I've been trying to develop my taste for beans since they are so inexpensive. Please educate me as to why they are not suitable for a healthy diet.

I heard about the weather you've been having, Mick, first beastly hot, now the thunderstorms. They even had video of the thunderstorms in Britain over here. Congrats to your daughter. I know she will do well.

I'm happy about the new little munchkin monarch. It's a nice change from hearing about George Zimmerman.

TT, another thing about high cholesterol is the size of the "bad cholesterol" particles. Apparently they are more likely to form little clots if they are small. Blah, blah, blah. Just having high cholesterol doesn't tell the whole story at all. There are a lot of factors that go into having a higher risk. I hope your tests were a little more comprehensive. If they weren't I'd try to get more comprehensive, detailed testing before I did anything further by way of medication.

Lav, enjoy your precious "me time", even if it is at the grocery store. I've always loved grocery shopping, tbh. I hope you get some more "me" time for the rest of the week and get your own work done.

Anyway, off to the salt mines for me.

Hugs to all and for those to come later.

:l
          YahYah
          AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

af day Wednesday 24th

MAE abbers! Long time no see. I spend a lot of time on the nesters site. I was asking last time I was here if this thread started with an agenda or what the history of it was? I heard that in the beginning MWO was a lot about moderation so I am thinking you were the minority? I learned fast that moderation wasn't an option for me, although my romantic brain keeps trying to convince my real brain of it LOL.

I have been puttering a lot this "weekend" taking my time at things. I get bored but then I remember being rushed all the time and I try to enjoy the freedom. I guess it's sort of an empty nest syndrome. AL used to take so much of my time!

Anyway I love to lurk and read about your lives, but I feel I don't know them well enough to comment at times.

Still I am inspired by your lives after AL.
            Newbies Nest
            Toolbox
            My accountability thread

Comment

af day Wednesday 24th

I lurk here, too, 3June but since I can't even figure out what MAE means, I keep quiet :H!!

Comment

af day Wednesday 24th

NS LOL MAE = Morning afternoon evening. I asked once! LOL
                Newbies Nest
                Toolbox
                My accountability thread

Comment

af day Wednesday 24th

Hi June and NS
                  I don't know about the origins of this thread as I came on at a later stage.

I joined MWO in April 2012. I lurked a little bit before then as I had tried Naltrexone (which affected me really badly - one of the worst experiences in my life) and wanted feedback on Nal. Didn't get much as the meds people on MWO by then were moving on to other meds.

April 2012 - I had a bad health episode and knew I had to quit. But it was not until Oct 2012 that I got serious about MWO when I gave Antabuse a go (was doing lots on trying to quit meanwhile however). I didn't have a clue how the site worked but one of the oldtimers (maybe K9?) suggested I go straight to the Abs thread as I had made a decision to try to be abstinent. I jumped in and confused everybody with posting threads in my timezone - but I was made really welcome and being on this thread is a really important part of my recovery.
                  I hope I help others a wee bit too although I don't post much on other threads.

Now I just bore everyone with updates on my cholesterol levels!

Comment

af day Wednesday 24th

not boring at all tt,i like hearing all the feedback on different ways you can control it,without going on those meds,i remember mick saying awhile back they messed with his mood,nobody wants that,i love this thread it keeps me occupied while i ride my exercise bike in the morn,yesterday the talk of supps perked my interest im interested in what people are taking? just for overall health,i keep trying these different turbo vitamin blends,sometimes they make me feel weird,so i switched to just a one-a-day for women and took up the amoryn again,i was diggin just plain old 5htp but by itself it seems a little inconsistent sometimes,i just need what a normal human needs something for energy,sleep,mood,etc anyways you guys all have a good one
                    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

af day Wednesday 24th

MAE ALL...

Sorry for the late check in but things have been busy busy...had a real early start and didn't stop till I got home. It's good to have some energy back.

Appears there's some New or is that Old friends popping in. Hope you stick around.

Short post, have to make dinner as I'm planning on going back to the Com Garden shortly. We've decided to have Weeding Wednesday's so people know there will be other gardeners around.

Mind you just got a report of a Tornado touching down about 1/2 hr south of us. Appears there might be some wicked weather rolling in.

If so I'll be able to read back and post proper.....PPQP

Comment

af day Wednesday 24th

mae abbers

Yah - That was very sad about the death of that youngster. Just a split second and our lives can change.

I loled at your "hurting cowpoke" - love all the international idioms! I was itnerested that you sent a thank you card after your interview - I've never heard of that before (perhaps that's why I can't get a job!!) Hope you and Maddie have a ball.

Hi Mick - perhaps you should give mobile phones a miss

Det - congrats on the 90 days!

PPQ - I love the idea of weeding wednesdays - I really need to do a lot of weeding - the rain and heat have transformed the garden into a messy jungle. But it's Thursday now, so I'll have to wait...:H

3 June - I too came much later to this thread, so don't know what it was like in the early days.

Hi Lav, TT, Cindi, Pauly, River (5 years is fantastic - I hope to see more of you on here, but thanks for updating us!) NS...

Got another day of phone tech support - spent over an hour yesterday (guy had remote access to my computer - which I hate, but had no choice - and still couldn't solve the prob), so getting a senior tech phoning today. I'm just zenning out and letting it all float over my head....Ohmmmmmmm

Comment

af day Wednesday 24th

Hey All,

This thread has been around probably since just about the beginning. I've been a member since before we migrated to this new format in 2006. It didn't take long for some people to realize that they needed to quit, not moderate, and when I first sought out MWO it was really for help with quitting, even though it took me a while to achieve that. Monthly Abs and Monthly Moderation has been here for a long time, as it quickly became clear the both groups needed their own forum.

Although RJ developed the program to help people with drinking problems be able to moderate their drinking, she wanted to encourage an atmosphere of openness, so people who wanted abstinence, but didn't like programs like AA, found MWO to be a welcoming place. I certainly found it to be so when I came in December of 2005.

Boy, I didn't realize how freaking long I have been here. God knows where I'd be without MWO, though.

:l
                          YahYah
                          AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

af day Wednesday 24th

I understand R Jewell switched from modding to abs. Has anyone read anything about how she is doing these last few years?

Comment

af day Wednesday 24th

AND CONGRATULATIONS TO NO SUGAR ON 6 MONTHS AF !!!!!:wave:

Comment

Working...
                              X