af Friday 26 July

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

af Friday 26 July

MAE abberoos! Here is some coffee for all, had the tea a wee while ago but I can make some more. Water available as well. We have really great tasting water where I live. And at this time of the year - icy cold.

Cinders - hope your AA friends enjoyed the cakes. I felt ill just reading about them!

Now that I have stood up again thanks again guys for all the "other" nutritional info. I asked about the gym Lav, co I am considering exercise options - checked out some local gyms but think I will stick to walking and climbing for the time being. One reason is that I really need solitude time (because of my job) and walking gives me that as well as exercise. We will be getting more daylight here soon so thats an incentive.

Where are you off to PPQP for your hols- if you can say? You may have said butI might have missed it.

Door mice Mick? I don't know if we have them here but i am going to ask my sister as she is a farmer. All the best for your med check today and I am always here if you want to PM me. I like courgettes and when there is a glut, make them into patties, loafs, as well as the usual culprits. If you can eat a little feta cheese -thats a nice combo.

Should we rename this Thread to the "Food/Weather/Surgery Channel for Busy Abberoosters" :H Grandparents welcome! Not sure if that will include any members of the Royals or not.

Hi there June and Sugar Free. Yes don't be shy, just chip in and you don't have to talk about our subjects du jour. In fact, it might be fun to have some new topics.

Big waves to :wavin: Yah, Cat, SF, Blondie (you awake yet!), Kuya if you are reading this, Pauly, and all others.

OMG - sunrise over the ocean alert! Its beautiful. Wish you were here.

af Friday 26 July

courgette loaves not loafs :H:H
    I should know better!

Comment

af Friday 26 July

TT, I repost this here because of the sleep discussion. I wanted to ensure you saw it and see if anything mentioned might help.

TT and Lav,

I, too, love legumes. All of them except black eyed peas.

Unfortunately, legumes, oatmeal, corn, rice, potatoes, etc, have a disastrous effect on my hubby's blood sugar. It is odd but we have tested it over and over again and to keep trying the same thing over and over again is insanity.

An example: For breakfast one morning, we took his fasting blood sugar, it was 109. He ate a bowl of homemade real oatmeal that I made, using water and no sugar. Within 30 minutes, his blood sugar was 189. We have seen this pattern, as I said above, over and over again.

I think his body is whacky, and I think he is whacky anyways.

I miss my soups and beans. :-(

I have always had issues with insomnia, TT. My father had it, too. We had no problem falling asleep but could not seem to stay asleep. Some nights, I can only manage four hours worth of sleep. I spend the next day exhausted. Nowadays, I take a 3 mg Melatonin to help me. Using that, despite numerous potty trips, (I am close to your age and female) I manage to get in closer to six hours of sleep. I feel refreshed with that much sleep.

Our room is very dark because hubby is so light sensitive. I have to ensure my path to the toilet is cleared of everything so I don't trip in the night. lol

Cindi
      Wow, TT. I am getting so jealous. Grrr. New Zealand and an Ocean view. Sounds like east coast NZ. I have always wanted to at least visit NZ, if not live there permanently. I would even try to make my accent fit in. :-)

I'll post again tomorrow on this thread. When it really is tomorrow.

Love,
      Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

af Friday 26 July

Hi TT and Cindi

TT - frush NZ water - lovely! I haven't had tap water in years - it's foul here! Loved wandering round Wellington's hilly terrain - such a beautiful city with all the bays so close to town. You'd love it Cindi and the accent'd be easy too adopt!
        Your loaf/loaves reminds me of someone in Perth with the number plate "The Wolve". I so want to go and change it for him :H

Got to speak with a tradie today, so no doubt will find some more necessary and unforeseen work.

Comment

af Friday 26 July

grilled eggplant with feta is superb!

oops, it's not Friday yet here. time travel is fun
          nosce te ipsum
          (Know Thyself)

Comment

af Friday 26 July

Checking in late on Thursday.

Read all nutrition info, tired and none of it sunk in. I'll have to reread it tomorrow.

Went to lunch with coworkers for a retirement party. They were all pretty down as they got the call that an old coworker (before my time) has days to live....dying from alcoholism. As truly sad as this is....I found the same people who joke about drunks.....saying how devastating addiction is. I always find it odd when people can talk about the enjoyment of drinking, then make fun of people who drink too much, then when it is someone they care about....they talk about how devastating alcohol is.

Truly sad though because this guy was sober for 20 years, got divorced and then mixed up with a woman who encouraged him to drink. One started again he could not stop....and of course the woman high tailed out of his life as soon as he got sick. A good reminder that I am responsible to stay sober....and that means forever.

Bought a new car today. Pretty amazed that my decked out 13 year old car......buying the no thrills smaller version has more bells and whistles than I know what to do with. The old one had so much salt damage from being a northern car for so long....it wasn't worth fixing. Looking forward to testing out all the new gizmos. This car also doesn't know where all the al shops are

Comment

af Friday 26 July

SF - I think a lot of people just don't understand how serious alcoholism is and how the impact on our bodies, minds, lives - is not always the same - or at least at the same pace. The sad thing is that even if we remain sober for years, if (and only if) very severe liver damage has been done beforehand - it can ultimately result in liver failure.
              I don't want to alarm anyone here as I am sure you all know the score and we are taking good care of ourselves -or trying to.
              Even in my small region - I read today that there are a substantial number of people who are admitted with AL poisoning to the ER and what surprised the medics - is that this is older folk as well as young ones.
              There is also a big gap between the health messages about binge drinking and the addiction side of things (and what's actually readily available for those who want help(.

Mick - you better wake up and give us a deluge of cheerful jokes - well I started off the thread on a cheery note!

Just made banana bread with almonds, but very little sugar in it. Blazing fire in the house (in a wood burner not burning the place down)! Have been working hard in my paid job as well but at home today.

Comment

af Friday 26 July

big hello to everyone...just to add to shitty day .com heres mine from yesterday that I wrote about 11 last night to a friend

not been too great today Im afraid!!Amy phoned up...cheapest she can get her car fixed is ?1100.....so its a scrapper...then went into the kitchen ..pools of water on the floor...fridge freezer decided to give up the ghost...so had to rush out at 3pm and buy another one.then tonight,we were sitting watching tele..above the mantlepiece we used (note the word used) to have a large mirror.On the mantelpiece are 3 pussers rum decanters (were again!)one commemorating Lord Nelson,one John Paul Jones and one Trafalgar..all 1 litre dark rum...mirror falls off wall smashes..smashes Trafalgar decanter..rum all over carpet place is stinking cleaned up as much as we can.To replace decanter is about 100 pounds and the shop is charleston Sc but they havent got any in stock.
                So here I am sitting at 0630 with the front room windows open and the smell of rum reeking everywhere!!!how did I ever manage those drinking sessions?Oh and to cap it all the little bxxxard mice have dug some more holes and tunnels in the lawn...suggestions welcome,but cant really put any poisons down because of the rabbits!
                look on the bright side..Ihave now got a wide 30"x18" picture frame free!!!:H..oh and i have got my bloods today.....fasting ..grrr.

so that is a brief outline on the last 24 hrs!

ppqp well done on standing up re the timesheeet issues!! blondie well done on losing the 8lbs..old money speak :goodjob:,Lav coffee for you ..in fact all round....right luvvies he says in his best thespian voice need to go bit to do today..including patch plaster hole in wall!!!:H have a great day.

10 ways to work out if you are drunk

10. You have to hold onto the lawn to keep from falling off the Earth.
                9. Mosquitoes catch a buzz after attacking you.
                8. The back of your head keeps getting hit by the toilet seat.
                7. Your idea of cutting back is less salt.
                6. You can focus better with one eye closed.
                5. You fall off the floor.
                5. The whole bar greets you when you come in.
                4. You haven?t had a driver?s license in such a long time that you have forgotten what one looks like.
                3. Roseanne looks good.
                2. You don?t recognize your wife/husband unless seen through bottom of glass.
                1. You spent more time on the floor than you do standing up.

how true is this?

Doesn?t It Annoy You When?
                ?there?s a car alarm nearby that goes on for hours and the owner is nowhere to be found?
                ?you buy an answering machine so you won?t miss any calls, and then everyone hangs up when they hear the machine answer?
                ?there?s a cop car in sight and everyone thinks they have to drive 10-15 mph slower than the speed limit?
                ?you?re reading a magazine and all those annoying little subscription cards keep falling out?
                ?you tell someone that a door is locked and they try to open it anyway, like it?ll magically open for them and not you.
                ?someone says, ?well, to make a long story short? and then they go on telling it for another 15 minutes.
                ?a friend or family member says ?Yuck! This is awful!!? and then tells you to try some.
                ?you have to inform five different sales people in the same store that you?re just looking around.
                ?you rub on hand cream and can?t turn the bathroom doorknob to get out.
                ?a waiter or waitress is not around at any time other than right after you put food in your mouth.
                ?your tire gauge lets half the air in your tire when all you want is a pressure reading.
                ?there?s a dog in your neighborhood that barks at EVERYTHING.
                ?the power goes out, and you discover every flashlight you have has dead batteries.
                ?someone gets in the express lane at the supermarket and writes a check or uses a credit card.
                ?the elevator stops at every floor and nobody gets on.
                ?you almost ALWAYS back up your computer files but the week you don?t, your hard drive crashes and you lose everything.

John got off the elevator on the 50th floor and nervously knocked on his blind date?s door. She opened it and was as beautiful and charming as everyone had said.
                ?I?ll be ready in a few minutes,? she said. ?Why don?t you play with Spot, my dog, while you?re waiting?? He does wonderful tricks. He rolls over, shakes hands, sits up and if you make a hoop with your arms, he?ll jump through.?
                The dog followed John onto the balcony and started rolling over. John made a hoop with his arms and Spot jumped through?over the balcony railing. Just then John?s date walked out.
                ?Isn?t Spot the cutest, happiest dog you?ve ever seen??
                ?To tell the the truth, ? he replied, ?Spot seemed a little depressed to me!?

During a Papal audience, a business man approached the Pope and made this offer: Change the last line of the Lord?s prayer from ?give us this day our daily bread? to ?give us this day our daily chicken.? and KFC will donate 10 million dollars to Catholic charities. The Pope declined. 2 weeks later the man approached the Pope again. This time with a 50 million dollar offer. Again the Pope declined. A month later the man offers 100 million, this time the Pope accepts. At a meeting of the Cardinals, The Pope announces his decision in the good news/bad news format. The good news is? that we have 100 million dollars for charities. The bad news is that we lost the Wonder Bread account!

The navy psychiatrist was interviewing a potential sailor. To check on the young man?s response to trouble, the psychiatrist asked, ?What would you do if you looked out of that window right now and saw a battleship coming down the street??
                The baby sailor said, ?I?d grab a torpedo and sink it.?
                ?Where would you get the torpedo??
                ?The same place you got your battleship!?

A WOMAN?S FOUR FAVORITE ANIMALS:
                A mink in the closet,
                A Jaguar in the garage,
                A tiger in the bedroom,
                And an ass to pay for it all!

New Job Interview Technique

Take the prospective employee and put him in a room with only a table and two chairs. Leave him alone for two hours, without any instruction. At the end of that time, go back and see what he is doing.
                If he has taken the table apart, put him in Engineering.
                If he is counting the butts in the ashtray, assign him to Finance.
                If he is waving his arms and talking out loud, send him to Consulting.
                If he is talking to the chairs, Personnel is a good spot for him.
                If he is sleeping, he is Management material.
                If he is writing up the experience, send him to the Technical Documentation team.
                If he doesn?t even look up when you enter the room, assign him to Security.
                If he tries to tell you it?s not as bad as it looks, put him into Marketing.
                If he is wearing green sunglasses and need a haircut, Software is his niche.
                If he mentions what a good price we got for the table and chairs, send him to Purchasing.
                If he mentions that hardwood furniture does not come from rainforests, Public Relations will suit him well.

A Manager of a retail clothing store is reviewing a potential employee?s application and notices that the man has never worked in retail before. He says to the man, ?For a man with no experience, you are certainly asking for a high wage.?
                ?Well Sir,? the applicant replies, ?the work is so much harder when you don?t know what you?re doing!?

Eleven people were clinging precariously to a wildly swinging rope suspended from a crumbling outcropping on Mount Everest. Ten were blonde, one was a brunette.
                As a group they decided that one of the party should let go. If that didn?t happen, the rope would break and everyone would perish. For an agonizing few moments no one volunteered.
                Finally the brunette gave a truly touching speech saying she would sacrifice herself to save the lives of the others.
                The blondes applauded.

PROOF THAT JESUS WAS?
                ?Jewish:
                1. He went into his father?s business.
                2. He lived at home until the age of 33.
                3. He was sure his mother was a virgin, and his mother was sure he was God.
                ?Irish:
                1. He never got married.
                2. He never held a steady job.
                3. His last request was a drink.
                ?Puerto Rican:
                1. His first name was Jesus.
                2. He was always in trouble with the law.
                3. His mother did not know who his father was.
                ?Italian:
                1. He talked with his hands.
                2. He had wine with every meal.
                3. He used olive oil.
                ?Black:
                1. He called everybody brother.
                2. He liked Gospel.
                3. He couldn?t get a fair trial.
                ?Californian:
                1. He never cut his hair.
                2. He walked around barefoot all the time.
                3. He started a new religion.
                But the most compelling evidence of all ? proof that Jesus was a WOMAN:
                1. He had to feed a crowd at a moment?s notice when there was no food.
                2 . He kept trying to get a message across to a bunch of men who just didn?t get it.
                3. Even when he was dead, He had to get up because there was more work for him to do.

Lav......

10 Signs your Amish teen is in trouble

10. Sometimes stays in bed till after 5:00AM.
                9. In his sock drawer, you find pictures of women without bonnets.
                8. Shows up at barn raisings in full ?Kiss? Makeup.
                7. When you criticize him, he yells, ?Thou sucketh!?
                6. His name is Jebediah, but he goes by ?Jeb Daddy.?
                5. Defiantly says, ?If I had a radio, I?d listen to rap!?
                4. You come upon his secret stash of colorful socks.
                3. Uses slang expression: Talk to the hand, cause the beard ain?t listening.?
                2. Was recently pulled over for ?driving under the influence of cottage cheese.?
                1. He?s wearing his big black hat backwards.

Teacher: Johnny, you know you can?t sleep in my class.
                Johnny: I know. But maybe if you were just a little quieter, I could.

Teacher: Why are you late, Joseph?
                Joseph: Because of a sign down the road.
                Teacher: What does a sign have to do with your being late?
                Joseph: The sign said, ?School Ahead, Go Slow!?
                af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

af Friday 26 July

well it came in threes. Trouble is not supposed to come in fours (I am not counting the bloody mice)! Take care.
                  does Baking soda help with the pong?

Comment

af Friday 26 July

Oh Mick, what a time you've had! Yet you still managed the jokes, so thanks! I hope no sales or religious people come knocking on your door :-)

Comment

af Friday 26 July

Nite nite everyone. Hell I feel sick. Think I have finally succumbed to one of the winter bugs. I hate being sick so here's hoping rest will do the trick

Comment

af Friday 26 July

MAE ALL...

TT...thanks for kicking us off and the coffee. I will be off to White Rock BC. South of Vancouver close to the US border. I have family there and it turns into a mini reunion. I haven't been able to go the last 3 years so am really looking forward to it. Sorry to hear you succumbed to the bug at least it's better than succumbing to the beast. Take care and I hope you're having a healing sleep. Looked up PONG and I don't see how baking soda helps with that game

Cinders...responded to your post yesterday so will await your words of wisdom to come.

Blondie...8lbs is great and I tend to stick with 'old money' speak myself. Well done you.

Det...or should I say Dr. "D"...how did the 'go for a cold one' go? Bet you got ice cream cones as you are so strong in your journey at the moment.

Mick...let's start with a :l...Could you imagine dealing with all of that while still dancing with the devil :no: Secondly...these are for you :angel:"PPP":angel: Fasting will be over soon and I hope you treat yourself to a fab meal after the blood work.

The Boss sent out an email last night saying he was bringing Pizza into work today. What's up with that? Got a feeling not much work will be happening so I'm going in early to get my
                        stuff done. Then it's research with the Labour Board to get the "real" rules and request compensation retroactive to the day the accountant started. Got to admit my mind is on my holis so am in a 'que sera sera' mood today. I wonder if there's a 'My Mood' smile for that? Off to get my second, already read the jokes, have a great AF Friday all and all to come......(smile)PPQP (ran out of smiles)

Comment

af Friday 26 July

Good morning Abbers!

TT, sure hope you feel better fast!
                          Curves is an international franchise but I haven't looked to see if it has found it's way to NZ
                          I like the combined cardio workout & strength training & it's all done in 30 minutes. Maybe you can carry some hand weights when you're walking.

Mick, wow buddy :H
                          When it rains it pours!!!!
                          I have to admit that with all the fields around here mice are just part of the landscape. Keeping them out of the house is a big priority. Keeping them out of the chicken house is managed with bait trays. I put them up high enough so the dogs & the kids can't get to them but the mice seem to find them Hope things settle down for you today!!!!!

Greetings blondie, Cindi, PQ, Cat, Pauly, Det, YahYah & everyone! I hope everyone has a fantastic AF Friday. I hope so much to do, there will be no time left over to get into trouble

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

af Friday 26 July

:hallo: Lav...I think it's g/kid free day today isn't it? Man I wish I had your energy although I have to admit I do feel energized today. I did have a decent sleep last night and aside from the blue wavelength sunglasses I'm thinking of those night shades to create total darkness. Have a great day and here's another morning chuckle for you....(short video and a little volume is good)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3649169309116

Comment

af Friday 26 July

mae everybody,jeez mick alot going on,tt hope you heal fast,i was thinking of getting some of those bluelight glasses,i seen them on dr.oz a few months ago,theyre orange and hideous but i guess if you like to watch t.v or mess with the computer at nite it blocks the light so your body can make melatonin or somthing,id feel kinda dumb wearing them but if it works why not?i hope everyone has a wonderful friday
                              I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                              Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X