Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

af Tuesday 30 July

MAE absters

Just a quick hi and bye to you all as I have to get back to work but I thought since the conversation has been veering towards sleep that I would throw in a spanner - research indicative that the 8 hour sleep cycle was not the norm for much of Western history during the last 500 years or so: See eg

At Day's Close: Night in Times Past: A. Roger Ekirch: 9780393329018: Amazon.com: Books

Now I am not saying I agree or that this particular author is right - as I have not read the actual book :H:H but I do recall hearing about this on the radio a while back.

Other local news here today - weapons and alcohol are a dangerous combination. Duh? Yes and yes - we knew that. This followed a drunk 18 year old being a dickhead (to his intoxicated guests) with an airgun at his birthday party.

Mick - I am also on a decorating mission - this involves curtains and blinds. Its not going very well after I told the person who was supposed to give me advice in my home - that I did not want my home to look like my office!

Have a great Tuesday all of you wonderful people - see I survived my Monday blues and back on a roll again! Take care all :h

af Tuesday 30 July

Wow, TT, that looks like a fascinating book!

I'm glad you have banished the Monday blues.

Well, I'm going back to Monday, as it is still Monday here. See you tomorrow!

:l
    AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

af Tuesday 30 July

MAE ALL...

TT...thank's for kicking us off and I too am glad Monday is behind me. I am one that doesn't believe we need 8 hours of sleep (one size fits all) either. Will be checking out the book.

YahYah...just goes to show "Laughter is the best medicine" I could just picture you two. :H

Mick...you're probably posting as I'm posting. Have a good one. Same goes for you Lav.

Last day of work for me today :yay: Decided I'm not taking lappie with me so will only have the phone to check in for awhile. Will pop in later but for now have a great AF Tuesday all and all to come....PPQP

Comment

af Tuesday 30 July

morning all...actually its afternoon 1210pm ...how are yawl? been up since sparrows fart this morn ..so far finished off fence panel n fitted it, moved all furniture in the front room ,capped and taken out radiator, chased wall light cable into the wall and plastered and packed up and moved dining room furniture upstairs...done enough now..going swimming...apologies for the next week or so if Ii aint on here that often..want to get this front room done ..and then put in bigger greenhouse ..and then rest time..hope everyone is well...take care xxx

Women?s Guide to Plain English

?I?m hungry? = I?m hungry
        ?I?m sleepy? = I?m sleepy
        ?I?m tired? = I?m tired
        ?Do you want to go to a movie?? = I?d eventually like to have s*x with you
        ?Can I take you out to dinner?? = I?d eventually like to have s*x with you
        ?Can I call you sometime?? = I?d eventually like to have s*x with you
        ?May I have this dance?? = I?d eventually like to have s*x with you
        ?Nice dress!? = Nice cleavage!
        ?You look tense, let me give you a massage.? = I want to fondle you
        ?What?s wrong?? = I don?t see why you are making such a big deal out of this
        ?What?s wrong?? = What meaningless self-inflicted psychological trauma are you going through now?
        ?What?s wrong?? = I guess s*x tonight is out of the question
        ?I?m bored? = Do you want to have s*x?
        ?I love you? = Let?s have s*x now
        ?I love you, too? = Okay, I said it?we?d better have s*x now!
        ?Yes, I like the way you cut your hair? = I liked it better before
        ?Yes, I like the way you cut your hair? = $50 and it doesn?t look any different!
        ?Let?s talk? = I am trying to impress you by showing that I am a deep person and maybe then you?d like to have s*x with me
        ?Will you marry me?? = I want to make it illegal for you to have s*x with other guys
        ?I like that one better? (while shopping) = Pick any freakin? dress and let?s go home!

The CEO was scheduled to speak at an important convention, so he asked one of his employees to write him a punchy, 20-minute speech. When the CEO returned from the big event, he was furious.
        ?What?s the idea of writing me an hour-long speech?? he demanded to know. ?Half the audience walked out before I finished.?
        The employee was baffled. ?I wrote you a 20-minute speech,? he replied. ?I also gave you the two extra copies you asked for?.

The businessman dragged himself home and barely made it to his chair before he dropped exhausted.
        His sympathetic wife was right there with a tall cool drink and a comforting word. ?My, you look tired,? she said. ?You must have had a hard day today. What happened to make you so exhausted??
        ?It was terrible,? her husband said. ?The computer broke down and all of us had to do our own thinking.?

A preacher went to his church office on Monday morning and discovered a dead mule in the churchyard. He called the police.
        Since there did not appear to be any foul play, the police referred the preacher to the health department.
        They said since there was no health threat that he should call the sanitation department.
        The sanitation manager said he could not pick up the mule without authorization from the mayor.
        Now the preacher knew the mayor and was not to eager to call him.
        The mayor had a bad temper and was generally hard to deal with, but the preacher called him anyway.
        The mayor did not disappoint. He immediately began to rant and rave at the pastor and finally said, ?Why did you call me anyway? Isn?t it your job to bury the dead??
        The preacher paused for a brief prayer and asked the Lord to direct his response.
        He was led to say, ?Yes, Mayor, it is my job to bury the dead, but I always like to notify the next of kin first!?>

These are brilliant

The School Test
        Funny Quotes

Kids were asked questions about the old and new testaments. The following statements about the Bible were written by children. They have not been retouched nor corrected, all incorrect spelling has been left in.
        1. In the first book of the bible, Guinness?s. God got tired of creating the world so he took the sabbath off.
        2. Adam and Eve were created from an Apple tree. Noah?s wife was called Joan of Ark. Noah built an ark and the animals came on in pears.
        3. Lot?s wife was a pillar of salt during the day, but a ball of fire during the night.
        4. The Jews were a proud people and throughout history they had trouble with unsympathetic Genitals.
        5. Sampson was a strongman who let himself be led astray by a Jezebel like Delilah.
        6. Samson slayed the Philistines with the axe of the Apostles.
        7. Moses led the Jews to the Red sea where they made unleavened bread which is bread without any ingredients.
        8. The Egyptians were all drowned in the dessert, Afterwards, Moses went up to Mount Cyanide to get the ten ammendments.
        9. The first commandment was when Eve told Adam to eat the apple.
        10. The seventh Commandment is thou shalt not admit adultery.
        11. Moses died before he ever reached Canada .. Then Joshua led the Hebrews in the battle of Geritol.
        12. The greates miricle in the bible is when Joshua told his son to stand still and he obeyed him.
        13. David was a Hebrew king who was skilled at playing the liar. He fought the Finkelsteins, a race of people who lived in bibical times.
        14. Solomon, one of David?s sons, had 300 wives and 700 porcupines.
        15. When Mary heard she was the mother of Jesus, she sang the Magna Carta.
        16. When the three wise guys from the east side arrived, they found Jesus in the manager.
        17. Jesus was born because Mary had an immaculate contraption.
        18. St. John the blacksmith dumped water on his head.
        19. Jesus enunciated the Golden Rule, which says to do unto others before they do one to you. He also explained, a man doth not live by sweat alone.
        20. It was a miricle when Jesus rose from the dead and managed to get the tombstone off the entrance.
        21. The people who followed the lord were called the 12 decibels.
        22. The epistels were the wives of the apostals.
        23. One of the oppossums was St. Matthew who was also a taximan.
        24. St. Paul cavorted to Christianity, he preached holy acrimony, which is another name for marraige.
        25. Christians have only one spouse. This is called monotony
        af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

af Tuesday 30 July

Good morning Abbers!

Happy Tuesday to everyone! I'm enjoying my coffee while my granddaughter starts her day with toast & cartoons :H
          The weather looks promising for some outside time today - finally!

Greetings TT, Mick, PQ, YahYah & everyone.
          Mick, you sound like a very busy guy, good for you
          Not sure what's going on today but I should probably try to find something to do outdoors - nice!

Have a terrific AF Tuesday everyone!
          Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

af Tuesday 30 July

Hello Fabbers!

Wow, our thread is quiet these days!

Personally, my body tells me that 8 1/2 hours of sleep is perfect. I can do with less if I'm excited about something. I envy people who can make do with less on a regular basis.

You are a busy and motivated man, Mick! I hope you are feeling 100 percent physically. Take care of yourself, friend! Love your women's guide to (the male version) plain English.

PPQP, I hope you have a wonderful vacay! Do your best to leave work behind. You have been working very hard over the last several months.

I hope you enjoy the beautiful weather Lav. Hopefully it will make extreme babysitting easier on you.

I'm very excited. There are a few prospective renters for my house, and I could have someone in as soon as this weekend. All of them seem to be a few cuts above my former tenants from hell. It would be heavenly to see some income from the property again!

Anyway, have a great rest of the day, everyone!

:l
            YahYah

Comment

af Tuesday 30 July

MAE Abbers!!

Cindi checking in from Alabama.

I had a horrible day yesterday. I can't explain it. I was so depressed, I could barely get out of bed. My moods were up and down and all around. It was almost frightening in its intensity.

Oddly, today I feel great.

I am going to make an appt with my psychiatrist to see if I might be reacting to meds or if it might just be my poor old body adjusting to sobriety. If I can get off me anti-depressant, it would be great. Especially if it is the culprit for my mood swings.

I am also going to reduce my dosage of Gabapentin over the next week. I have an appt with my neurologist in August and if there is anyway I can get off the Gaba, I am going to.

At the end of the day, I want to get off all meds that I can. I recognize I will need to take high blood pressure meds probably forever and I am hoping Antabuse as long term as possible.

PPQP, Enjoy vacation. Vacation is restorative for the soul.

TT, I agree about one size does not fit all for sleep. Hubby requires between 8 and 10 hours and I require between 5 and 6 hours. 6 hours seems optimal for me.

Y@H, Good news on the rental. I haven't read back. How about the job? Any news yet?

Lav, Our weather is nice today, too. Warm but not humid. I love it!!

Waves to all other Abbers, I am going to do some school work today and get caught up on that.

Love,
              Cindi
              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

af Tuesday 30 July

Cinders, I can only take so much of feeling shitty, so I bounce back. Maybe you do too. :yay:

As for the job, I probably won't know until mid-August, but I did have a good conversation with Andy last Thursday. As is usual, I am starting to get a few calls for my own practice again, LOL. So we'll see what happens.

Take care of yourself, Cinders.

Comment

af Tuesday 30 July

Cinders - Big Hug! :h
                  I know its not the cause for you as your meds and life history is much more complex - but your depression was on a Monday too.
                  Another Hug - can't hurt! :h

Comment

af Tuesday 30 July

MAE ALL...

Yesterday flew by and today I was riding the turtle shell!! But done and dusted I'm on holiday. :yay:

YahYah...thanks and no work coming with me including laptop. I thought you were going to sell, but if the prospects are a cut above...go for it. Back from holis mid August so will be looking for good news. Fingers crossed.

Cinders...thanks and I wish I could 'blow the blues away' as fast as you did. It will be interesting to hear what your psyc says. Is she the one who prescribes the meds? With your 'Ahem...poor old body adjusting to sobriety your meds will definitely have to change, speaking from experience

Mick...just don't you over do it!! Thinking of you every day :l

TT...may not post on holis but rest assured I'll be reading my future on the IPhone before bedtime.

Stay safe all.....PPQP

Comment

af Tuesday 30 July

I was sober today(now yesterday). Day 9 and I got the old let's have bottle of wine tonight because I can thoughts. Anyone who doesn't know I've been able to drink as I wish due to TSM - which has been once perhaps twice a week. Sometimes I'll have a glass of wine, other times it's 1-2 bottles. Remainder of the week I'm fine but I also have an eating thing going on.

The old excitement and thought of drinking, coming online was there. I did indulge in a food thing which did involve chocolate but I didn't have alcohol. That's the difference with TSM, sure I get the urges BUT if I decide not too I can bat the drinking idea away just like that. I ended up walking around the supermarket oblivious to booze, just looking for chocolate. I had taken 50mg Nal a few hours earlier because I'm trying to apply it to the eating thing, but I hear Naloxone is much better for this.

Anyway enough waffle, I'm pleased I haven't touch alcohol - it would be so easy because I can, but I know it's important for me to make this choice to go AF.

Now onto day 9.

Thank for listening.
                      I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

af Tuesday 30 July

welcome here UK Blonde
                        I had an eating and alcohol disorder for decades. I am guessing I am much older than you and for me age helped with the eating but not the drinking. I also became pregnant when aged in my early 40s and that seemed to also knock the bulimia on the head.
                        I tried Nal briefly for AL but this did not work for me.
                        I have been sober for almost 10 months and find its much much easier to get on with life being Abs than drinking a little bit - because for me there never was a little bit of AL. Quitting also took away the will I, won't I - I love not having to agonise over AL. Its a freedom.

Anyway we each have our own paths in the AL journey but it helps sometimes if we get a shove up certain ones - so thats what we do on this thread. Excuse the metaphors!
                        Great that you are whittling away the AL grip and my heart goes out to you with the food thing - cos I do know how crazy that is. And we have to eat don't we? Stay strong!

Comment

af Tuesday 30 July

TT....I once passed an exit that had a big spray painted sign...."whiskey and guns sold here". Thought it would be better to keep on driving:H

I slept last night. Did not wake up once and 8 hours later I felt like I had not slept at all:upset: I met with a co-worker later in the day....tired as all hell....he asked me a question about a meeting. "What meeting?"....my mind was blank. He suggested I stop smoking weed. As tired as I was....it was nice to know it was not due to al or weed

I've been cheating on you guys a bit. I've been over in the nest.

Comment

af Tuesday 30 July

treetops;1538329 wrote: welcome here UK Blonde
                            I had an eating and alcohol disorder for decades. I am guessing I am much older than you and for me age helped with the eating but not the drinking. I also became pregnant when aged in my early 40s and that seemed to also knock the bulimia on the head.
                            I tried Nal briefly for AL but this did not work for me.
                            I have been sober for almost 10 months and find its much much easier to get on with life being Abs than drinking a little bit - because for me there never was a little bit of AL. Quitting also took away the will I, won't I - I love not having to agonise over AL. Its a freedom.

Anyway we each have our own paths in the AL journey but it helps sometimes if we get a shove up certain ones - so thats what we do on this thread. Excuse the metaphors!
                            Great that you are whittling away the AL grip and my heart goes out to you with the food thing - cos I do know how crazy that is. And we have to eat don't we? Stay strong!
                            Thanks TT.

Hmm, well I'm almost at the end of my 30s.

I remember feeling annoyed when my Dr told me at 20 that I'd grow out of the eating stuff. It always comes back when I don't drink, and is sometimes there with the drinking...........sooo I really do not know. I have no plans to get pregnant soon, my BF has had his children but who knows what is around the corner. My life is changing no doubt about that.
                            I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

af Tuesday 30 July

Hi UK - I wasn't suggesting you get pregnant!

Hey - we have two Blondes now on this thread a UK Blonde and Blondie from Australia:yay:

Comment

Working...
                              X