August SMART Recovery Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm interested to see who around here is doing anything with SMART Recovery. I found out about it a couple years ago, and am really glad that I found a secular/non-spiritual program that made sense to me after having a lot of trouble in AA. Alot of SMARTies do AA too, which gives you both a science based and spiritual approach. For anyone that is interested, there are a lot of great online resources and meetings which you can check it out here.

Self Help Substance Abuse & Addiction Recovery | SMART Recovery?

I planned to go to last night's 6pm f2f meeting but I was still feeling pretty sick, gonna try my best to make tonight's 6pm. I'm still up and it's 3:30am so we'll see lol.

Stay smart and have an awesome day everyone.
    Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present. - Jim Rohn

You must take personal responsibility. You cannot change the circumstances, the seasons, or the wind, but you can change yourself. That is something you have charge of. - Jim Rohn

Ack, still feeling a bit in the dumps so I'm gonna rest tonight again. I did read up on the SMART boards though, there were some great posts about relapse by a moderator who lapsed after 3 years, and he had some great insights into the lapse process. I'm going to review my CBA tonight and post it here. Stay smart and hope everyone's having an awesome day!
    Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present. - Jim Rohn

You must take personal responsibility. You cannot change the circumstances, the seasons, or the wind, but you can change yourself. That is something you have charge of. - Jim Rohn

Comment

I mentioned in NN that I am familiar with the program. I did attend meetings, but they were on a college campus and when summer came the meetings ended and never resumed. It was frustrating as they are based out of the city I was living in, but no meetings in the area. I liked the handbook and would suggest getting it. I liked the approach...much of it is the same advice you get here....but in an organized process. I liked the boards as well.

I do not participate in SMART....but, do use some of the tools. I too did not fair well in AA.

I different things work for different people. Find what works, even if its a combination of things. This can be a mighty battle....every tool is useful.

I just wish health providers were more aware of all the options out there. Courts and medical communities still rely on AA.....when it is clearly not for everyone.

Rest is absolutely the best thing for you. But try to drag your ass there. It's only an hour

Comment

Hey now, it's 1.5 hour meetings good to hear from another SMARTie. I too wish that more recovery options were talked about at rehabs and by health professionals. When I walked out of my first rehab they said AA or death were my choices. When the judge ordered me to AA meetings for my 3rd DUI I had my lawyer request SMART instead and she had never heard of it. I presented info to her about the program and she agreed. fortunately there are lots of meetings close to me, at least one a day, but most aren't so fortunate.

Comment

I say do whatever it takes to get and stay AF. If SMART works better than AA, go for it. It takes time to feel healthy after years of alcohol abuse, lots of rest, water, nutrition, and learning to fill your time in new ways. Exercise can help with the intense feelings that come up that are no longer dulled with alcohol

Woofer, keep on posting, sending you positive energy, strength and hope.
          Formerly known as redhibiscus

Comment

Working...
          X