af Sat 17 August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

af Sat 17 August

Hiya all fellow absters and ex-alkies and associates! Looks like I am having an alliteration moment. Thanks for all the cheer you sent my way and I am enjoying a big brew of damned good coffee - so ta, PPQP! The tea was courtesy of Mick. Now all I need is Pauly to do my hair - or at least restore my hair - I have always had very fine hair and age is not kind to it! :H But its definitely in better nic since quitting the booze

Lav - hope you had a good workout at curves. Interesting comments about retirement and the husband.

Cinders -hope you are OK with your ruminations about your relationship.

PPQP - yeah, you and I (and others) must seem to share the flatness and long term sobriety. In my case its probably exacerbated by not only the absence of AL but also stopping antidepressants. I plan to try to give myself a big boost of endorphins today through exercise - although the weather may prove challenging. Thats what wet weather gear is for.

Mick - looks like you sent the rain down this way! How dare you!:dang: At least the rain means there is no hayfever like what Pauly is putting up with.

Hi there Samstone! Do you live on a farm?

Yah - hope your trip to NY goes well. Keep the positive vibes brewing away.

SF - glad you got to the luncheon and looks like you will handle more and more of these events where there may be AL served (at least its not Mad Men!) I just look at this sort of thing as part of the job. I don't care about the AL at social or work events anymore but I am not very patient with small talk. Unless its little kiddies cos thats different:H

I am going to try to get back into some writing this weekend. This means mentally shutting out the stuff that worries me otherwise I can't concentrate. But first some physical activity and that most lovely of tasks - housework. I think I failed Housework 101 and now I am on permanent probation:H

Have a great sober weekend despite the weather - or maybe because of it

af Sat 17 August

Hi ya, fabbies.

I'm off to New York this weekend. I may not have a chance to post, but I'll be thinking about you all.

Feeling the love! Thanks for being here.

:l
    YahYah
    AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

af Sat 17 August

mae all ..how are you? ok TT you started this with your alliteration tingy .so here we go ..welcome to a sunny sensational stanza of Saturday sobriety!!!

Orf we go then tea and coffee on the go ..take a couple o cups ..wont be here tomorrow..tis Sunday ..my moment of mirth and merrymaking..there thats fooled ya!!

Evening TT how are you? ok now? good on you hope Sunday follows Saturday in goodness for you

Hiya yah how are you ? enjoy New York ...and no it aint Christmas pressie buying time yet!!

morning SF..how are you today? well was it a 4.30 am start today for you as well..if so bet hubby was reeeeeeally impressed!!!considering its Saturday..you go girl get those exercises done ..Im going swimming in a wee while .Have youany plans for the weekend?

Morning Lav..and how are you today? try as I did I couldnt find more than 10 faces..you start imagining them after a while!.Have a coffee.here you go .I can see how your other half fell apart ..you become institutionalised, and dealing with certain scenarios in almost an automatic way ..and then you retire and the world no longer needs you..what do you mean the police/fire /prison will go on without me ..it cant ..I am key to its success!!woe is me no loger working on the scrapheap ..life is over nobody wants me..fk it lets get pissed..and ther you are ..perfecto situation!!.most people Ikonw ,and that includes cops and fireman as well go through that same thing...the only thing that differs is the time it takes to get a grip and realise it is all crap!!!and actually it is whatever you make it!!
      se ..youve done it again!!lets talk about chickens or something :HHave you any plans for today?

morning ppqp ..hows things with you today?how did the working 9 to 5 go then?Yep still raining over here..was just going to open the rabbits up and let them out ,when God started crying!kind of stymies working in the garden for a bit..you off to see your Dad today?

Hello Sam and welcome the the grrrr..you fdkn bseoetard ..@@""***club!there must be loads of these wee posts floating around in the ether!!Apart from that how are you today? ok I hope.keep smiling that way people dont know if you are happy,mad or got trapped wind!! :H

Hiya Pauly ..and how are you today? well I hope ..and what does brekkie consist of today then?enchiladas,chicken curry and what??:H hows the cold or whatever it is doing ?get yourself better.

right peeps tis time to terminate this tome of troubles today/tonight..wont be able to start in the morning I dont think,but will jump in to see you all on your super safe sober Sunday sequel...so until then..its potato sell (work that one out!!)

Can you find the dolphin??

how many animals/birds/mammals in total can you find in this pic? clue there are more than 20!

A businessman from New York is driving through Mississippi on his way home for Christmas. He stops at a local store and notices the three wise men out front are dressed like firefighters. While inside, the man asks the clerk about it.

?You city folk think you know everything,? says the clerk as he reaches for his Bible. ?But it says right here that the three wise men came from afar.?

An attractive woman was driving home from a business trip and became very lost. After hours of driving without seeing a single house, she came across a farm where two strapping young men were sitting on the porch swing.

"Hello," she said, surprised to see such fine-looking guys.

"Hi. My name is Ned and this is my brother Jed," said one of the men. "Can we help you?"

"Yes," she said. "I seem to be quite lost. Could you give me directions?"

After getting the directions, the woman found herself surprisingly aroused and asked the brothers if they wanted to go into the barn for a roll in the hay.

"Sure," they replied in unison, "but we've never been with a woman before."

"That's OK, but you have to wear these if we have sex," she responded as she presented them with two condoms.

"What are these?" asked Ned.

"They're condoms. You have to wear them so I don't get pregnant," she explained.

The men agreed and after some barn storming, the woman was back on her way home. A couple of weeks later, Ned and Jed were back on the porch swing when Ned asked, "Jed, do you care if that woman ever gets pregnant?"

"No," replied Jed.

"Me neither, so let's take these damn things off!"

A chicken and an egg check in to a cheap motel room. Moments later the chicken sits up against the headboard and lights a cigarette.The egg says, ?Well, that settles that.

A guy visits his doctor complaining of uncontrollable flatulence. The doc tells him to undress and leaves the room. Moments later he returns, carrying a long stick with a hook on the end.?Oh, God!? says the guy in terror. ?What are you going to do with that??

?I?m going to open a window,? the doctor replies. ?It stinks in here.?

A man meets a gorgeous woman in a bar. They talk, they connect, and they end up leaving together. They get back to her place, and as she shows him around, he notices that her bedroom is completely packed with teddy bears.

Hundreds of small bears are on a shelf all the way along the floor, medium sized ones are on a shelf a little higher, and huge bears are on the top shelf along the wall. The man is kind of surprised by the collection, especially because it?s so extensive, but he decides not to mention this to her.

She turns to him?they kiss?then they rip each other?s clothes off and romp around the room all night. After an intense night of passion, as they are lying there together in the afterglow, the man rolls over and asks, smiling, ?Well, how?d I do??

The woman says, ?You can have any prize from the bottom shelf.?

A professor was giving a lecture on "Involuntary Muscular Contractions" to his first year medical students. Realizing that this was not the most riveting subject, the professor decided to give an example to which his students could relate.

He pointed to a young woman in the front row and said, "Do you know what your asshole is doing while you're having an orgasm?"

She replied, "He's probably golfing with his friends."

A little guy is sitting at a counter eating breakfast. A big guy walks in and hits the little guy.

"That's a judo chop from Japan," he says, and then walks into the bathroom. The little guy gets up and sits back down to finish his breakfast. The big guy comes back out of the bathroom and hits the little guy again.

"That's a karate chop from Korea," he says. The little guy gets up and leaves the diner. The big guy sits down and orders breakfast.

As he starts to eat, the little guy comes running back through the door and knocks the big guy out. He looks at the waitress and says, "When he wakes up, tell him that was a tire iron from Sears."
      af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

af Sat 17 August

Well now I have been up for 24 hours!

Actually working on a project that I am pretty excited about. So I will sleep when I get tired. Right now I'd just stare at the ceiling.

TT...glad you are feeling better. There was no al served at the luncheon....my mind was on cruise control and already thinking into the evening.

Tonight I did get to watch a drunken girl storm down the street with her suitcase at 2am and boyfriend following her trying to get her back into the house. I felt sad for her, I know she is going to be pretty low tomorrow. The boyfriend was really sweet to her.....but, we know what al can produce. Ultimately she decided to go back home. Honestly I have no idea where she thought she was going to go anyways. But, then again I never really thought anything through while drunk.

Comment

af Sat 17 August

Good morning Abbers,

Greetings from the land of near perfect weather the last few days. I am trying to enjoy this because I know it will all go to hell again next week :H

TT, glad to hear you are feeling mostly better
          I've been trying to think back & I think I did have a few moments of feeling the flatness after I quit but it didn't last long. I think that's when we really need to push ourselves to develop new interests, hobbies, whatever.....

YahYah, wishing you a safe trip to NY & lots of fun too!

Morning Mick, thanks for the coffee!
          I understand the difficulty of extracting yourself from a 30 year career with your identity intact but it shouldn't be a fatal event I had a very hard time leaving my profession although I knew it was time for me to go.
          I am in the process of prepping for the arrival of my 30 new babies - talk about a great distraction
          The kids will love this, I'm sure.

SF, up for 24 hrs? Why?
          I did that kind of nonsense while I was still working shift work. I believe it contributed greatly to my falling into a depressive/drinking mode. Be kind to yourself & don't fall into a mania over money - not worth it, honestly

I am going outside to clean up some garden beds now. My grandsons will be here for dinner while their parents have an evening out. I can't remember the last time I went out in the evening :H

Wishing everyone a great AF Saturday!
          Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

af Sat 17 August

New here. Somebody asked me to check. Been sober (alcohol) for 5 days but still smoke weed (As an alternate). But alcohol was like wife and weed is like girl friend. Respect for both (in injuries) but talking about the binding effect.

Went to AA yesterday. Heard stories. Related. And then I saw all the faces in the room. Lots of scars. Medals of honors. Outside, everybody is smoking. It used to be like whenever I was going somewhere, before I enter the building, I'd smoke a cigarette. It was 100 more of me yesterday. Clones in different shapes and forms.

AA tells you to stay sober and then what? How do you find the job, how do you balance your life. What about the occasional 'severe' anger. I don't know.

Life, in a way, is like a dream. Between 2000 BC and 1800 (Just an example), billions of people lived and died. Societies changed.

Now, do I really care how they lived? I don't. Do you? I don't know. My point is, life as it seems - comes and goes. Its the duration that we live and then stuck with our mind and body to think and act - we suffer sometime. We have 2 choices - suffer or have fun. May be we have more choices but only those 2 came to mind.

Whether we suffer or have fun, to me- I'm gonna be the part of the history- sooner or later. So what's the big deal here? Why should I care how my life ends? Whether I'm sad or I'm happy, does it really matter how my life ends? Curious.

Comment

af Sat 17 August

MAE ALL....

TT...thanks for kicking us off and so glad you're feeling better. Good luck with boosting those endorphin's today. Writing sounds like a good idea especially with your wet weather.

YahYah...have fun in New York. You deserve a treat and don't listen to Mick, you can buy me a Christmas pressie anytime.

Mick...thanks for the coffee and what do you mean "mirth and merrymaking" we all thought you were off investigating UFO's or saving endangered owls...and now the truth comes out. And checking out the Urban Dictionary for "potato sell" turned up nothing. I'm stumped. :upset: It was a long day for me as "Attila the Accountant" hung around to tell me what she thinks she should do with a stuffed filing cabinet that I inherited with the job. I told her that I was the one who needs to know what's in those files and I will sort through it for fcks sake! The highlight of my day was all the childcare staff from downstairs coming up to tell me how pleased they are that I'm taking over the job. Talk about feeling chuffed.

SF...hope you are finally getting some shuteye. You be careful with those all nighters, they can bite you in the ass. Didn't you just feel the gratitude as you watched that girl at 2am? It's amazing what goes on in the wee hours of the day. So what's the project that's got you all excited if I can ask.

Lav...I hear you about going out in the evening. When the garden club wanted to start meeting at 7pm I thought crikey I'm usually getting ready for bed at that time. :H Being sober has actually given me back 4 hours in my day. Looking forward to seeing the pics of the new arrivals.

ps677...welcome aboard and good job on 5 days. When I first quit drinking I smoked weed too. My addictions councilor asked me why and I told her it put me in a positive frame of mind and gave me lots of energy. She said keep smoking it and see what happens. She was right, positivity changed to anxiety and the only energy I had was finding something to munch on. :H Your post made me sad. You seem so down on life at the moment. When I got clean and sober my attitude towards living changed. Life was worth living and living well. No-one here is going to tell you how to live your life but get some more AF days under your belt and then see how you feel. We're here to help you on your journey but you have to want to be on that journey with us.

You were right Mick, I'm looking forward to the day with my Dad. Weather a little cooler today 23 down from 30 so we should be able to be outside for most of it. Sometime during the day yesterday my boss put his Ipad on my desk for me to read an email he got. I thought I'd share it with you all as I'm not very good at the alliteration this early in the morning. Have a great AF Saturday all and all to come....PPQP

Mathematics: This comes from 2 math teachers with a combined total of 70 yrs. experience. It has an indisputable mathematical logic.

What Makes 100%?
              What does it mean to give MORE than 100%?
              Ever wonder about those people who say they are giving more than 100%? We have all been to those meetings where someone wants you to give over 100%.
              How about achieving 103%?
              What makes up 100% in life?
              Here's a little mathematical formula that might help you answer these questions:

If:
              A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
              Is represented as:
              1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26.

Then:
              H-A-R-D-W-O-R-K
              8+1+18+4+23+15+18+11 =98%

And
              K-N-O-W-L-E-D-G-E
              11+14+15+23+12+5+4+7+5 =96%

But,
              A-T-T-I-T-U-D-E
              1+20+20+9+20+21+4+5 =100%

And,
              B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T
              2+21+12+12+19+8+9+20 =103%

And, look how far ass kissing will take you.
              A-S-S-K-I-S-S-I-N-G
              1+19+19+11+9+19+19+9+14+7 = 118%

So, one can conclude with mathematical certainty, that while Hard Work and Knowledge will get you close, and Attitude will get you there, it’s the Bullshit and Ass Kissing that will put you over the top. Now you know why some people are where they are!

Comment

af Sat 17 August

mae my abbin'friends,ugh i hate math! not a good way to start a saturday morning haha,tt,i think flatness is just apart of life,its good to go out and get those endorphins going,im also looking into natural mood boosters like,saffron,tumeric,holy basil,just a little uplift without weirdo side effects,you get with a.d's,daughter and baby stayed over last nite and he gets up soo early! little monkey,so off to entertain him,have a super sober serene staurday everybody
                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

af Sat 17 August

Morning Pauly...well done on your "s" alliteration...I'll have to practice. Have fun entertaining the g/baby...PPQP

Comment

af Sat 17 August

ppqp...thats ace well done... potato sell = tattie buy..(bye) goodbye see you
                    af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

af Sat 17 August

success ..finally done in the front room...doesnt look too bad ..the bird tiles look really smart ..well to me they do!!:H

Comment

af Sat 17 August

:wd: Very nice work Mick :wd:
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                        X