Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loving-Kindness... a meditation for you.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello all, Well, here it is. Sorry it took so long. I was away over Easter, and had to finish typing it out.

MEDITATION PREPARATION

You will need to read/print all of this meditation, as the words change throughout, and so do the people to whom it is directed.
    This meditation will be about 40 minutes long, but you can take longer, or shorten it to about 20 - 30 minutes if you wish. Or, just take one part of the meditation at a time and work on it till you are comfortable and at ease with it.
    You may like to read or re-read through the thread ?Metta in a very small nutshell? to refresh yourself with the background to this meditation.

Loving-kindness meditation should not be regarded as just a formal sitting practice removed from everyday life. Applying the practice to daily life is a matter of directing a friendly attitude and having openness toward everybody you relate to, without discrimination.

The practice itself is designed to overcome any feelings of self-doubt or negativity. Then you are ready to systematically develop loving-kindness towards others.

Usually the practice includes four types of people to develop loving-kindness towards.
    The practice always begins with developing a loving acceptance of yourself.
    Then you move on to someone you love or have strong affection for ? a close family member or friend;
    Next you move to a neutral person - somebody you know, but have no special feelings towards
    And finally a hostile person - someone you are currently having difficulty with.

By starting with yourself, then systematically sending loving-kindness from person to person in the above order, it will have the effect of breaking down the barriers between the four types of people and yourself. This will have the effect of breaking down the divisions within your own mind, the source of much of the conflict we experience.

In our practice we often include at the start with a respected, beloved person - such as a spiritual teacher; and end with expanding our goodwill to all sentient beings. I?ve included a short paragraph at the end of the meditation for all beings.

The words I?ve typed are pretty much the words and thoughts my teacher uses, and very much the same words you?ll encounter world wide for this meditation.

Don?t be put off because it looks long. That?s just because I?ve typed it out in full rather than say ?repeat lines 1-3? all the time. And don?t skip through any of it as it changes and gives different instructions and thoughts to focus on throughout the meditation.

So, start by sitting down in a comfortable position, eyes closed, back straight but not strained.

While you?re doing the meditation see if certain phrases emerge from your heart that express what you wish most deeply for yourself, not just for today, but in an enduring way. Phrases that are big enough and general enough that you can ultimately wish them for all of life, for all beings everywhere.

When you enter into meditation, it is good to enter with a smiling heart

THE MEDITATION

Metta is a meditation practice taught by the Buddha, which has been passed down in an unbroken line for over 2,500 years. The practice, which leads us to realization of compassion, is central to Buddhism.

If you feel uneasy attempting all of it at once, do the meditation gradually, that is, just do the first part of the meditation until you are comfortable with it. This may take days or weeks?it will take as long as it takes. Then move on to include the next part, and so on.

Taking a few deep breaths, relax your body, relax your mind.
    Call to mind anything that has been troubling you in he last few days.
    Gently put them aside just for the time of this meditation.
    This is your special time for yourself.

Just remember that this is the same meditation that Buddha did all those thousands of years ago, and has been passed down in a direct lineage to us to-day.

Breath by breath, meditation by meditation, day by day, we work changes within our hearts and minds; changes that accumulate over time, so that we become more patient, kind, accepting, and compassionate.
    Let yourself just settle into the moment.
    When you are ready, think or say to yourself

May I be well, may I be happy.

May I have the causes of happiness.

May I be free from suffering and the causes of suffering.

May I rejoice in the well-being of others.

May I live in peace, free from greed and hatred.

May I be safe ? May I be healthy?? May I live with ease.

May I know real peace of heart and mind.

May the sun of wisdom and the moon of compassion rise and illuminate my heart and mind.

Rest your mind in the phrases, rest with those thoughts. Repeat these words over and over. Say them to yourself with sincerity.

See if certain phrases emerge from your heart that express what you wish most deeply for yourself, not just for today, but in an enduring way.

If you find your attention has wandered, just gently let go of those thoughts and begin again.

Then, when you are ready, call to mind somebody that you care deeply about--a good friend or a relative.

Get a feeling for their presence, and then direct the phrases of loving kindness to them.

May you be well, may you be happy.

May you have the causes of happiness.

May you be free from suffering and the causes of suffering.

May you rejoice in the well-being of others.

May you live in peace, free from greed and hatred.

May you live in safety, May you be happy, May you be healthy, May you live with ease.

May you know real peace of heart and mind.

Again repeat these words over and over, saying these words to the person in front of you.

Now, when you are ready, simply and gently let this one person be joined by other people for whom you have the same hopes and aspirations. Hold their presence with your awareness and send them these thoughts.

May you live in safety, May you be happy, May you be healthy, May you live with ease.

May all that is good and all that is skillfull and wholesome flow towards you.

May you have a long and happy life.

May you be free from clinging and greed.

May you be free from grasping.

May you be free from hatred, aversion and ignorance.

May the sun of wisdom and the moon of compassion rise and illuminate your hearts and minds.

Now, gently let those people fade into the background and call to mind someone neutral?. somebody you know, but have no special feelings towards, e.g.: a person who serves you in a shop; someone you see on the train to work every day, or a neighbour, or a person at work.

Remind yourself that this person also wishes for happiness and a peaceful heart.
    Begin now to stir up those same thoughts and wishes and aspirations as you did for those you love.
    And repeat to yourself for them

May all that is good and all that is skillfull and wholesome flow towards you.
    May you have a long and happy life.
    May you be free from clinging and greed.
    May you be free from grasping.
    May you be free from hatred, aversion and ignorance.

May the sun of wisdom and the moon of compassion rise and illuminate your heart and mind.

May you have great happiness and joy, and may you be a source of great happiness and joy.

Now bring yourself back to your body, back to your breath.
    Resting into the body and breath.

Breathing in calming the body???????
    Breathing out calming the body????..

Breathing in calming the heart and mind???..
    Breathing out calming the heart and mind.

Just this breath is enough.

Now, call to mind now someone who is difficult. Someone who has been harsh or unkind to you.
    Now, very gently imagine this person is sitting in front of you.
    Be aware of your feelings towards them.
    Deliberately remind yourself that this person also desires real peace of heart. But this person too is touched by fear, delusion, unease.

Gently and sincerely give these thoughts to them

May you be truly free from fear.
    May you come quickly to the complete freedom of Nibbana.

Gently allow the presence of this person to fade and bring your attention back to your body.
    Then, just as gently, let your thoughts expand out to your neighbourhood, your country, the whole of the earth and beyond.

May all beings have happiness and the causes of happiness.
    May all beings be free from suffering and the causes of suffering.
    May all beings rejoice in the well-being of others.
    May all beings live in peace, free from greed and hatred.
    May the merit that I have gained from this meditation flow to and be shared by all sentient beings.

I hope you gain great benefit from this meditation.
    Below, are the Buddha's words on loving-kindness, which have been set to a chant.
    In the next couple of days I'll post the original translation.

Metta Sutra Chant

May all beings be happy.
    May they be joyous and live in safety.
    All living beings, whether weak or strong,
    In high or in middle or in low realms of existence,
    Small or great, visible or invisible,
    Near or far, born or to be born,
    May all beings be happy.

Let none deceive another,
    Nor despise any being in any state;
    Let none by anger or hatred wish harm to another.
    Even as a mother at the risk of her life
    Watches over and protects her only child,
    So, with a boundless mind
    Should one cherish all living things,
    Suffusing love over the entire world,
    Above, below and all around, without limit;
    So let each cultivate an infinite goodwill toward
    The whole world.

Rags, that is one of the most beautiful pieces I have read in a long time... Its hard to explain, but by the time I had read it all I had this feeling of peace flow over me, and I haven't even done the meditation yet.. I will start the first part in the morning when I get up..

Thank you so much for all this, I know you put so much time and effort into it all... Just one question though, to do the meditation successfully do I have to learn it all off by heart, or can I read it as I go along and with time I will know it off by heart ??

Once again Rags, thank you so much, you have done yourself proud..

Love, Louise xxx
    A F F L..
    Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

Dear Pussycat,
      No, there's no need to try to learn it off by heart. Just say what comes from your heart. For you or anyone to meditate successfully, you just need to concentrate your mind on what you wish to meditate on.
      What I suggest is to first read it over a couple of times a couple times before you start meditating. You may like to read it a day or so before, or an hour before, or as your prelude to the meditation. Just so you get the feel of it, the beautiful meaning of the words. Then read it as you go along.... so, read May I be well, may I be happy. And just think on that for as long as you want. Then go on to the next bit.
      If there's a word or phrase or sentence that particularly flows or has special meaning for you, then stay with that bit. You may want to just stay with that phrase for a week or more. That is fine.Then when you are ready, move on. It's not a marathon or test , just you being at peace with yourself and giving yourself this special time for meditation.

For example, I may be reading a bit on compassin for example and the sentence "Just like me, this person has known sadness and despair, and is seeking happiness" Now that more or less said it all for me at that time, and I just stayed with that for about a fortnight.
      Again, when I first heard the words "May the moon of compassion illuminate your heart", my heart just about stood still. Those words struck at my heart and I just used them as my meditation for a while. They filled my heart and mind with calm, peacefulness and a sense of great compassion for myself which would then radiate out ever so gently to all the creatures on earth. I truly felt a part of the earth and everything upon it.
      Hope this makes a bit of sense for you.

Comment

I have just read this beautiful meditation,which I will try to practice.
        Thank you for all the the love and kindness you so obviously put into it.
        I find it so comforting.
        Bless you xx

Comment

Thanks Rags for explaining.. I suppose I still think back to learning my prayers as a child, each prayer was repeated parrot fashion without even thinking what each word meant.. Its nice to know that I can take just one sentence or phrase and meditate on that..
          A F F L..
          Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

Paula, Hello,
            Thank you for your very kind words. The thanks you have given me I shall pass on to others.
            That's another beautiful thing I love about Buddhism.... sharing the merit I (or you) gain from something.
            Oooh, is that too HD? (Heavy duty). This could lead me into a little explanatin on this aspect of Buddhism if you'd like.
            Don't try to make anything happen... just allow it to flow, and your heart and mind will take in what they need, and find a gentle balance. Like I said, there may just be a phrase that you find particularly comforting and you may like to stay with just that for a while.
            And, isn't it great to know that you are doing one of the same meditations that Buddha did.
            So, we are in great company!
            Fran
            Fran

Comment

Hi Rags,

Thank you ... again... for your wonderful meditations.

You actually inspired me to go out today and buy an MP3 player with voice recorder, for the sole purpose of recording these so I can meditate every day. I'm going to start recording today!

Gem x
              Free since 26th February 2012

Comment

Working...
              X