af day Friday 30 August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

af day Friday 30 August

MAE cool people! I couldnt get on MWO last night as the site seemed to have crashed for a while. I crashed too - so tired from work, supporting daughter in her exam hell and trying to keep the house habitable. But my mood is buoyant and like you all, I am able to cope so much better being AF.

The last few days we have had a few themes - of accidents/illnesses, junk food and hubbys (partners).

Mick - hope the eye is on the mend as conjunctivitis is not fun - been there with kiddies in recent years.
    Cinders - you take care of your finger too.
    My injury? I cut myself on paper that was being photocopied :H:H workplace Health and Safety - quick!!

SF - each to their own with spirituality/religion but your sponsor (who I hope is now -ex) sounds dogmatic. You don't need this. Christianity is big big church as you know and I always thought one of the cool things about it is forgiveness (and not judgement). The latter is so Old Testament and judgmental IMO and is best left to the courts here on earth.

Det, Bear (and all the secret "naughty-food" lurkers) - I too have been naughty. :l First the licorice icecream and then last night I made an evil, calorie/fat/sugar ridden cake-slice- pretending it was healthy because it had nuts, seeds etc in it. We were not fooled. So I too am trying to avoid the crap food today.

My grumpy partner (guess you can call him a hubby since we have been living together for c nearly 20 years - laws are different here to the US) used to get mega-shitty when I was drinking AL and he used as a reason to criticise me about almost everything. And of course I reacted by drinking more. He was very passive-aggressive at times. When I quit last year I almost left him because I was so fed up with him putting everything down to my drinking and him refusing to take any responsibility for change - or having stayed in the relationship (which was great in many ways). Its not perfect now but somewhat less tense - his moods are still there and he sweeps things under the carpet (ie procrastinate).

Have run out of steam - but hi there to all others - Blondie, PPQP, Pauly (yes come ou1 :l) , Samstone, YahYah.

Must go - have a great Friday - sober weekend ahead.

af day Friday 30 August

I am posting on Friday....because I wish it was Friday! At least tomorrow will be a short day in the office.

TT....religion and government....the great dividers:h I just choose to have an open mind when it comes to this matter, heck maybe she is right and I am on my way to hell:H Except I already lived it here on earth 20 years of drinking.

She did call me today. She rattled on, in the end I asked her....so if I died tonight in your opinion where am I going. She uttered "hell"...and I politely ended the conversation.

TT...sorry about your other half. I used to just numb out all the differs hubby and I had. Recently we tackled most head on....and we have been getting along well.

Hello to everyone who heads this way on Friday. Three day weekend for us....yippee. Starts with the "Smurfs" movie......I will be woofing down buttered popcorn

Comment

af day Friday 30 August

Morning all SF - doesn't sound like your sponsor is that positive an influence- are you looking to change?

Hi TT - yep my OH is a procrastinator/avoids conflict - I tackle things directly so not sure we're that well suited on that score.I NEED to sort my house out - away this weekend though so may need to start on Sunday then do few bits Monday evening.I am off next Friday but have booked a spa day - not cancelling that!

Sneezing a lot today so I think I have caught the cold that is working its way round the office.I am looking forward to Autumn and wearing boots and buying a new winter coat - small things!

Health wise I ate an unhealthy initial snack of cake and prawn crackers, then for dinner grilled chicken and roasted broccoli and aubergine - yummy!I am eating more veg which is great/feel good for it too.Hope you all have a good Friday.I am off to see a band tonight - driving and taking my e-cig so zero temptation - feeling strong today.
      one day at a time

Comment

af day Friday 30 August

Good morning Abbers,

Tis Friday morning & the start of a long holiday weekend here in the US
        I learned 4+ years ago that sober holiday really rock so there's no worries here!!!
        I will be hosting a family BBQ on Monday. The only two drinkers left in the family (husband & son) bring their own damn beer - I'm not buying :H

TT, I have been married to Mr Passive-Aggressive for 40 years! I can & should write a book, really!!!
        Drinking AT their behavior is quite harmful to one's self, we know that. Mentally & emotionally distancing myself saved my butt, it had to be done. After more than a year of his not being able to control me with his behavior ~ he walked off. But he hasn't completely disappeared either as you know. I just focus on today, tomorrow is not here yet

Hi SF, Smurfs movie huh? Good luck with that :H

bear, I hope you have a good weekend & keep your focus! Try to relax a bit & don't overdo.

Greetings to Mick, blondie, YahYah, Det, pauly, PQ & everyone!
        Have a great AF Friday!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

af day Friday 30 August

MAE ALL...

Sorry for MIA yesterday, it was my first solo day on the job and although it was hectic it was rewarding.
          Really looking forward to the long weekend and will try not to think of work.
          Next week will be very busy with the start of a new year at the centre so if I'm hit and miss with posting it's because I'm "thunked out".

Cindi...middle finger you say

Saw this and thought of Mick...

Do you see a word?

Have a great AF Friday all and all to come....PPQP

Comment

af day Friday 30 August

MAE Abbers,

PPQP, Liar, liar, pants on fire!!

Lav, I remember when your husband started abandoning you. It was shortly after you got sober. At first it was very rough on you but you plowed ahead. Today, I feel like you would have a really hard time taking him back full time. Nature abhors a vacuum and you filled yours up with many positive things. You truly are one of my role models here.

Bear, Boots and warm jackets are a favorite of mine, too. Thinking LL Bean here but they are so pricey.

TT, your situation with your partner sounds exactly like mine. He has used my drinking as the cause of all issues and suddenly does not have that to fall back on anymore. Any change is an adjustment. I cannot call him passive/agressive, though, that is more me, he is just simply aggressive. :-)

SF, Your sponsor doesn't seem to have the spirit of AA. AA is a spiritual program rather than a religious one. We get that hammered into our heads here. Talk of hell and damnation doesn't enter the discussions. Odd you are running into it. I would look for a new sponsor, tbh.

I had my middle finger "operated" on this week to remove a cyst. At the same time I had clumsily cut another finger with a potato peeler. After I got back from the doctor, I was cutting veges with a mandolin and sliced a big slice of the same finger that had been operated on. It has not been my week for fingers. All cuts are healing well, though. I think I am going to toss the mandolin and buy one that has a better finger guard.

Hubby has helped me with resume and I am going to do the final edit today. I have a call scheduled with a hiring manager at a bank. It would be in NC, which is not ideal for me, but we are in some serious financial straits here. If necessary, I will take that position and commute home as I can. I am not sure how I will handle mom, though, if that happens. I will probably have to move her there. But, AA has taught me not to think too far ahead. I will take this one day at a time, I have no idea if I will be offered a position at this point. All is very preliminary. At the end of the day, I moved here for my husband's career and his time at work is coming to an end. He is nearing retirement age. There is no work here for me in my specific skill set, so it may be my turn to decide where we live until I retire.

Waves to all Abbers. Today is Friday and we are heading into a three day weekend for most. I had an old boss who used to say that every day is a one smile day, pay days are a two smile day and three day weekends on pay day are a three smile day.

Cindi is smiling here.
            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

af day Friday 30 August

Aw Cindi - a mandolin slicer
              A few years ago I bought a brand new slicer & the very first time I used it I sliced off the tip on my pinkie finger - ouch! After several hours of bleeding like a stuck pig I called my MIA spouse to leave work & drive me to the ER. There was no one else around & I was afraid of passing out or something while driving. They didn't do anything for it really & the tip of my finger has since filled in/grown back - believe it or not :H
              I hope you are OK & heal quickly.
              Good luck with the job search

PQ - what is the word??
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

af day Friday 30 August

hiya all...quick jump in..nearly finished tho its the fiddly bits that are being a pain in the ass...hope you all had a good day...got the rabbit hutch today..it is hooge!!!got a bit of work to do on it, but certainly saves me the job of building the carcass for it..at the mo I am doing mitre joints on the conservatory step..Julie is away with some friends from work ,so in time honoured fashion..there are a few "f"s and "b"s getting chucked about as per the manual for workmen!!!back tomorrow all fine and dandy ..take care folks
                af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

af day Friday 30 August

Hi guys - I hope I did not overly misrepresent my partner - as although he has been passive-aggressive - he has also been very supportive of my quit - including a huge amount of humor - he can bring tears to my eyes through ---- wait for it ----- laughter. I will never forget one day last year when he put on a private comic act about the Evil Poison to remind me of what it does to people - and also to distract me when I was having cravings. It was so funny (and sad).

He genuinely has a kind soul too and is a wonderful Dad.
                  He also has his own mental health issues with mood swings and depression.

Folks are complicated.

Comment

af day Friday 30 August

Yep ~ they are TT!
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09

Comment

af day Friday 30 August

aloha Friday ABenators!

Cindi, so good to hear your happy vibes

SunFlower, personally I wouldn't have a sponsor (or friend) that acted in that juvenile manner, but if sh'es helping you, you have to weigh that in of course.

hey cats and kitties... how about some icecream that is actually beneficial to your body?

yay! here tis: Recipe: Creamy Coconut “Get Some” Ice Cream (Paleo friendly)

now I need to get an icecream machine.... look out!

well, I have a dinner with an important regional sales manager tonight....no idea if he drinks or not but I'm feeling good and strong.

be well loves
                      nosce te ipsum
                      (Know Thyself)

Comment

af day Friday 30 August

Cinders...I want to say good luck with the interview then thought if you get it life for you is going to change. But what a great attitude you have. You're exactly right taking it one day at a time. BTW...you win the prize.

Lav...didn't pick up on Cindi's post eh? The word is liar. Dr's don't like it when you slice the tips of your fingers off. That's where all the nerves are. :H

Mick...it's always the fiddly bits. Now I know why you and Julie go on so many holis. It's the only way she can get you to relax.

TT...folks are complicated even more so if they're family.

Det...Oh No...not the icecream machine! Hope your dinner goes well and you definitely sound strong.

Had a very busy day and I have a feeling the &#^@^$* thread is going to have some visits by me if the accountant doesn't move to her own office soon. Must remember that Monday is a holiday and not show up at work. :H

Have a good evening all and I'll catch you in the morning...PPQP

Comment

af day Friday 30 August

Evening here in ol Virginny
                          had lots of fun weed eating today. The person that invented that damn thing was evil. I've gotten to the point where I can only do 2 tankfuls any more. Set posts an ready to string wire tomorrow. In the meantime looks like our fridge is needing replacing, every dang faucet in the house leaks and every day I gots the blues.

Actually, all in all a good day. Fun to get things done.

Lav, you got locust boards?... I'm envious. We used to have a sawmill next door, but my neighbor drinks too much and he hasn't run it in years.

hope everyone has a great weekend.

Sam
                          Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

af day Friday 30 August

Still hoping to get those locust boards to build the raised garden beds Sam
                            The Amish guy who runs the sawmill claims to be busy (since Spring) cutting oak. I guess we have to threaten him with a visit from the Amish mafia :H
                            Even though I've lived in this area for 10 years now I'm still not used to the s.l.o.w.n.e.s.s........
                            I lived the first 49 1/2 years of my life in a suburb of Philly. The pace was much, much quicker!! I wanted to slow down a little but geez :H
                            Maybe you can take over your neighbor's sawmill & get my locust boards cut!
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

af day Friday 30 August

Lav or Sam
                              can you please explain what locust boards are for? I assume locusts - but when do you expect them?
                              I guess I could Google...

Comment

Working...
                              X