Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TOPAMAX and blood pressure

Hi All,

is anyone aware of how TOPAMAX affects Blood Pressure? I had a quick look at the site to order it and there were some statements around having your BP in a speific range - mine is on the high side and I am a little nervous/concerned about the Doctor thing having had some 'ordinary experiences' to date: confused:

All Love,

Abhaya

abhaya;121139 wrote: Hi All,

is anyone aware of how TOPAMAX affects Blood Pressure? I had a quick look at the site to order it and there were some statements around having your BP in a speific range - mine is on the high side and I am a little nervous/concerned about the Doctor thing having had some 'ordinary experiences' to date: confused:

All Love,

Abhaya
    I've been wondering about this as well. I'm on BP meds which keep it down where it should be...I've been looking for info and haven't found a lot yet but when I ordered my Topamax from Aclesa I did notice that they made me promise to check my BP regularly so based on that I am assuming there is SOME kind of issue.
    :boxer:Failure is NOT an option! :boxer:

Comment

Guys, this is one of the reasons I had to stop taking topa, It was lowering my blood pressure with 25-50 mg dose I had a resting heart rate in the low 30's; 50's after an hour of running. .If I had ever hit 200 mg I'd be dead. I take verapamil for my blood pressure. So My doctor 1st suggested maybe getting rid of the verapamil and seeing if topa could control my blood pressure. That wasn't an option,being a girl it was messing up my monthly cycle. But lowering of heart rate B/P is one of the side effects
      Smiles
      Mary

Comment

simeybear;121210 wrote: Guys, this is one of the reasons I had to stop taking topa, It was lowering my blood pressure with 25-50 mg dose I had a resting heart rate in the low 30's; 50's after an hour of running. .If I had ever hit 200 mg I'd be dead. I take verapamil for my blood pressure. So My doctor 1st suggested maybe getting rid of the verapamil and seeing if topa could control my blood pressure. That wasn't an option,being a girl it was messing up my monthly cycle. But lowering of heart rate B/P is one of the side effects
        Smiles
        Mary
        Interesting...the indications on the Aclepsa site led me to believe that it might possibly RAISE my BP...Once I start I'll just have to watch closely...i.e. check my BP daily to see what might be happening...if TOPA lowers it further perhaps as you mention using TOPA to lower the BP until one can wean off the TOPA might be a good solution....
        :boxer:Failure is NOT an option! :boxer:

Comment

Hey Simeybear,

Do you mind if I ask how you are going without the Topa? And what sort of things you are doing to cope :-)

Abhaya.

Comment

Abhaya, sorry I didn't see your question sooner. with Topa I lasted less than 2 1/2 weeks. The L-Glut and evening oil of primrose seem to work for me. I also added chromium picolinate 1000mg daily. It helps to control blood sugar. I just had blood work done 2 weeks ago came back 100% sound. Thank God. I will add if my urges are really bad I up the L- glut. Hope this helps
            Mary

Comment

"Guys, this is one of the reasons I had to stop taking topa, It was lowering my blood pressure with 25-50 mg dose I had a resting heart rate in the low 30's; 50's after an hour of running. .If I had ever hit 200 mg I'd be dead. I take verapamil for my blood pressure. So My doctor 1st suggested maybe getting rid of the verapamil and seeing if topa could control my blood pressure. That wasn't an option,being a girl it was messing up my monthly cycle. But lowering of heart rate B/P is one of the side effects
              Smiles
              Mary"

Re the blood pressure issue and Topamax. About 1% of patients will experience bradycardia (the lowering of your blood pressure) and 1 to 2% of patients will experiece hypertension (elevation of blood pressure).
              As a note of interest our internet pharmacy has a number of patients from your site so thought I would join and be available to comment on posts where my knowledge and experience might help. I personally stopped drinking a number of years ago with the help of a 12 step program so well aware of the potential problems and cravings that go along witht the drinking problem.
              RPH
              Registered Pharmacist
              Riverpharmacy.com

Comment

Thank You RPH, I am very medication sensitive that dosen't surprise me I am in the 1% area. I also am allergic to nexium. face swells like a baloon. My doctor is amazed' he has a huge practice and says I'm the only patient he has that can't take it.
                Thanks Again
                mary

Comment

Working...
                X