Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

af Saturday 7 September

MAE Boys and Girls
    That was quick wasn?t it. Another day already. Tea and coffee here. I am all set for a busy day doing this and that ? partly with my lovely daughter. We have to travel almost to the end of the earth for her to have her fringe trimmed! I suggested why not an overall hair trim while we are there ? no, its not time yet. :H

Lav ? I bet you had a super day at Longwood. Yes, I now know pretty clearly about how I used to drink at or through things. That's such a big theme of my decades long addiction pattern ? and most of us here.

YahYah ? hope you are enjoying your time alone. I used to love dancing (I didn't do ballroom type dancing though) ? but stopped quite a bit when I hooked up with my partner (I think you can guess why). I enjoy watching dance and have been known to still boogie around the kitchen.

Pauly ? hope you are surviving the Vegas heat and you sound a bit more chirpy. Don?t be surprised if the grief comes back from time to time.

Blondie ? its sunny as anything over here. Probably still night where you are. How is the studying going?

Mick ? usual plans for the weekend? Build another house, plant a forest, save climate change? :H

PPQP ? how was your working week? As cheerful as mine ? I hope not.

SF ? are you enjoying the end of summer or does it never end where you live? Hope your boys are doing well.

Bear - weekend time. This seems to be a tricky time for you so be vigilent and don't overdo things. Post here, rant here - remember Mick's advice about being fore-warned.

Det ? my daughter loves archery. She is a calm, quiet sort of person who can fiercely concentrate when motivated ? so it suits her well. (I make her sound like the Terminator !)

Samstone ? how are you doing mate? Must be Autumn where you are.

Cinders ? hope your weekend is less wild than last weekend and that you don't have to work too hard. Fingers crossed about the interview.

Thanks for the support guys because I needed it last night. My partner was not Mr Grumpy just Mr Apathy ? comes home, I ask him about his day and tell him I am not so good, so he goes tut-tut and immediately sits down, puts on his headphones, plays games on the computer and waits for dinner. Then watches TV ? all evening. In the old AL fuelled days I would have argued and cried for attention ? but last night I just served dinner and did my own thing. Not great is it ? but there you are. My birthday is coming up this week ? and I do not expect any surprises or much attention ? just a question (the day before) as to what I want. Of course I want bells and whistles and a big fuss - but wild elephants with Vikings doing the hula on them will descend upon this place before that happens. :H:H

Had a ghastly drinking dream ? but it just a dream. Word to the newbies (of which you all are not) ? be ever vigilent.

Hope you all have a lovely weekend so if you are not posting I won't wonder why (as you are all so busy or having too much fun) but you can still post even if you are busy or chasing Vikings on elephants (sober Vikings that is)

af Saturday 7 September

MAE - now - later in the day since my first post and all is well - no need for me to go chasing Vikings on elephants.
    I had a lovely day with my daughter - spoiled her a bit shopping and it was lots of fun.

Comment

af Saturday 7 September

mae all ..and how are we today?gee whizz not many posted since yesterday! all ok?..apart from some mad woman from upside down land going on about elephants and Vikings!!!oh hello TT..is that you?You obviously didnt study history at skool....the Vikings never used elephants as transport..they used longships and hordes...dont know what a horde is but everybook I read about Vikings ..it says they came in their hordes..must be some kind of a bus or summat!!!:H Glad your day turned out better than you thought ...as for a pressie when he asks ........da da I have a cunning plan..tell him you want SFI......now that could stand for some fkn interest ...or some Friday interest..also for next Friday get some speech cards made up ... "yes hello I am here ", do you want to know what kind of day I have had? please tick one of the following to identify your day ...crap good really good really crap ....or just loadsa things..see if that makes him realise that he is Fridays funchild!!!

well Lav.....how did your other residence look today?did you enjoy yourself?its a while since you have been there isnt it?hope you enjoyed yourself..Is the weekend taken care of..or is it wait and see time?

hiya Pauly..how are you doing today?..good I hope..any plans for the weekend?

hiya Det ...how are you today? ok I hope .wow that chicken sure sounds nice..so you are off hiking and shooting this weekend?hmm you be careful, because from what I hear thats just exactly what President Obama wants!!make sure you stick to trees ,hills and greenery....if you hit sand, dont understand the lingo and there is lotsa shooty gunny noises ,you know you have taken the wrong track!!!!

right peeps must go..Australia is looking for a Prime Minister, Greece is skint,Obama is trying to persuade America to intervene in Syria,Radiation levels spike in Japan ,Putin says Britain is just an island and everyone here is getting upset!!(it is an island!)
      Car bomb explodes in Cairo..Chinese river clogged up with poisoned fish...and Ive got a rabbit hutch to finish ..have a good one

how many of us recognise this or similar?

Not here tomorrow ...up in Yorkshire ...very early doors!!

An Englishman, a Frenchman, a Spaniard, and a German are watching a man do some juggling on the street. The juggler notices that the men can't see very well, and stands on some boxes. "Can you all see me now?" He calls "Yes." "Oui." "S?." "Ja."

Every year we spend more on coffee than we do on educating our children

how do we sleep at night?

A guy met this girl in a bar and asked, "May I buy you a drink?".
      Looking back unimpressed at the man she replies, "Okay, but it won't do you any good."
      A little later, he asks, "May I buy you another drink?"
      "Okay, but it still won't do you any good."
      He invites her up to his apartment and she replies, "Okay, but it won't do you any good."
      They get to his apartment and he says, "You are the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. I want you for my wife."
      She says, "Oh, that's different. Send her in."

A man is in bed with his wife when there is a rat-a-tat-tat on the door. He rolls over and looks at his clock, and it's half past three in the morning. "I'm not getting out of bed at this time," he thinks, and rolls over. Then, a louder knock follows.
      "Aren't you going to answer that?" says his wife. So he drags himself out of bed and goes downstairs. He opens the door and there is a man standing at the door. It didn't take the homeowner long to realize the man was drunk.
      "Hi there," slurs the stranger. "Can you give me a push??" "No, get lost. It's half past three. I was in bed," says the man and slams the door. He goes back up to bed and tells his wife what happened and she says, "Dave, that wasn't very nice of you. Remember that night we broke down in the pouring rain on the way to pick the kids up from the baby sitter and you had to knock on that man's house to get us started again? What would have happened if he'd told us to get lost??"
      "But the guy was drunk," says the husband.
      "It doesn't matter," says the wife. "He needs our help and it would be the right thing to help him." So the husband gets out of bed again, gets dressed and goes downstairs. He opens the door, and not being able to see the stranger anywhere he shouts, "Hey, do you still want a push??" And he hears a voice cry out, "Yeah, please."
      So, still being unable to see the stranger he shouts, "Where are you?" And the stranger replies, "I'm over here, on your swing.

t's like what the mussel said to the clam.

?I wouldn't wish that on an anemone!"
      af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

af Saturday 7 September

Morning all - up ready for wedding and long drive - hair dye on head,half packed,not showered - leaving in 45 minutes,will get there!Friends came over last night unexpectedly after spa day so we had curry,they had lots of beer - I had diet cherryade and a fake cigarette.I had disturbed night's sleep due to friend staying with us coming back at 2.30am - not very considerate,so set alarm an hour later so I could get some decent sleep LARGE coffee - have 5 hour drive ahead of me!

I'm feeling good about not drinking,I am going to focus on not having the first one - and tell myself that I am free to drink if I want to - and if I want the consequences!
        If anyone asks - it's to keep me off the cigs,not telling anyone though.

Have a great day - got to book taxis,charge mobile,print hotel booking etc!
        one day at a time

Comment

af Saturday 7 September

kia ora! late check-in today. thundery weather here, so had the fire on all day. Saw dolphins in the river (was driving, so no photo!). Voted early - looking like we're getting a new PM.

Safe travels Bear and enjoy your wedding (and if I had a visitor out till 230 - they'd still be outside :H)

Mick - enjoy your trip to Yorkshire - I'll have some Kendal Mint Cake and Moffat toffees (and then some new teeth!) Meant to ask was the flooring in your conservatory wood? We're looking at doing similar and wondered how easy it'd be to DIY. Though as partner likes to micro-manage and I don't listen, it's probably not a good idea!

TT - glad to hear your trip out with daughter went well. Is haircut part 2 next week?! We'll have an extra large party on here for your birthday; Lav can rustle up the cake (perhaps not Thomas the Tank Engine though?!) and... well we'll work out who's good at what for the rest (I won't be singing though )

Had BBQ today and discovered I'd left the toaster out in all the rain (it's only a new one but buggered now!!) It set off the smoke alarm, so I put it outside to cool down then, poof!, forgot all about it!! Oh dear, do they do insurance for dottery old farts?!

Have a great day everyone. Will leave you with a Harry Lauder joke (no, not trying to usurp Mick). Why was the Scotsman running down the street with his mouth open? He heard there was a nip in the air.

Comment

af Saturday 7 September

MAE Abbers,

TT, Your week and your sharing is a very good example of how valuable this thread is. Some of us tend to think that you long term AFers are breezing through everything so easily. It is good to be reminded that we will always need to stay vigilant.

Jealous about the day with your girl. It has been so long since I had any money to spend on my girl and she has three children, so even the time alone is rare. I would love a day out with her doing frivolous things and just being mom and daughter. Her hubby grumps when she leaves him alone with the children just to go grocery shopping.

I think I will chat with him when he comes over to watch a football game today about letting her and me have an afternoon together before I move. (If I move, that is.)

Blondie, Hubby installed our flooring in this house. Three of the rooms are done in that "fake" wood stuff. It is very easy to install, according to him. Laminate flooring it is called, I think. The tile was not so easy and unfortunately a couple of small earthquakes have created cracks. The tile will need to be taken back up and something else installed. Huge effort.

Personally, if you can install real wood floors, go for it. My daughter's house is all wood flooring. After it was installed the previous owner had it coated in several coats of protection and 15 years later the floors still look beautiful. That despite seven kids and a dog!! Wood also looks so warm and comfy. If I replace my floors, it will be with real wood. Just my opinion, though.

Det, Please keep updating us with your culinary adventures. I have been casting about for substitutes for rice, potatoes, bread, etc, with cooking. Serving over shredded lettuce was a great idea. Lots of fiber, few carbs and yet giving the "bulk" needed to make sauces, etc, filling.

PPQP, How are you doing up there in Canada? Is your weather staring to turn towards Fall? We have finally had some no rain days. Yesterday was a typical southern hot and humid day but I think we have some mild cool fronts heading our way. The south is very uncomfortable in the late summers, usually, but our Springs and Falls are gorgeous. Cool and dry with vivid colors from plants and foliage. Winters are so so. Your winters are deadly. :-)

Lav, Did you enjoy your jaunt? One thing I am determined to do is start getting out for more jaunts, myself. Hubby is a home body and loves to DIY like Mick. Weekends are always spent working on the property. We have a plethora of sites to visit in this area and I hope the same holds for NC if I move there. The book Living Sober talks about changing routines and adding new hobbies, etc. As I near six months, I am starting to feel mentally good enough to take on these things. But, as the authors also say, easy does it. Small changes, small steps. Keep it simple.

Bear, Read above. Don't take everything on all at once. You do need some quiet time for yourself and small goals. If Rome or the pyramids had to be built in a week, they wouldn't be here. :-) Enjoy the wedding. I think you will have so much more fun with friends than if you were getting sloshed. Let us know.

SF, Mended and better yet? Family has several sick members. I mentioned that you can tell school started again. Sept always brings in the new "bugs."

Y@H, Hugs. I am so glad you drop in here and chat. It is wonderful to see you doing so well.

Pauly, Thinking of you. Hopefully you and hubby are getting through this sad time okay.

Mick, Your pictures cracked me up. Thanks for a great start to the weekend.

Waves to all Abbers. I hate it when I overlook someone. :-(

Messy house to clean up today, daughter and family coming over to watch a football game tonight. Chaos will reign.

Job fair was very small and, as I thought, not much use. One guy actually sneered at me when I gave him my resume. I bit my tongue and smiled. He was ignorant about my skill set and I realized that, so just let is go.

Well, two cups of coffee in my tummy already and really want another one. Off to watch the birds and enjoy the quiet before hubby gets up and turns on the news and starts ranting about politics and the state of the world.

Have a great weekend, friends.

Love,
            Cindi
            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

af Saturday 7 September

Good morning Abbers,

Sunny & a bit chilly this morning ~ nice

Had a nice visit to Longwood with my girls yesterday. Lots & lots of outside walking, good for the soul!

TT, what kind of birthday cake do you like? I think I'll try to find Stella's party hat too :H
              Glad you had a good day with your daughter & hope you two will be friends forever!

Witness protection program Mick? :H Good one!!!
              Don't know exactly what's going on today, we shall see. Don't work too hard, OK?

bear, I hope you enjoy yourself & stay safe today!

blondie, my short term memory is so poor these days. I can completely see myself leaving the toaster out in the rain too :H This getting old stuff is not for sissies!!!

Wishing everyone a wonderful AF Saturday!
              Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

af Saturday 7 September

Hi Cindi - cross post
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

af Saturday 7 September

mae everybody,mick the guy needing a push was funny! had a bit of a breakdown going through grammas boxes of things from the care center,clothes,cards,letters,probly best to put that off for a bit,sounds like everyone has had a good weekend so far,lots of fun doings,i myself am just gonna take it easy,have a good one
                  I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                  Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

af Saturday 7 September

MAE ALL...

Finally the end of a very busy week. Sorry for not posting but did pop in and out to read all of which I can't remember now. :H

Friday was a very physically busy day. Huge wedding setup in the hall, baby shower setup in second hall and two staff members on holidays. And of course deadline for publication and day to day required tasks. Was looking forward to vegging on the sofa....

Got a call at 7pm from the wedding party that the baby shower people had set off the fire alarm so back to work I go. It was nothing, they hadn't turned the fan on in the small kitchen and the sensors went off. Just had to wait till the fire department reset the alarm.

Needless to say I decided to sleep in this morning. It's going to rain all day today so it'll be an indoor visit with Dad.

When I'm back on my sofa I'll read back properly but for now I hope all are well and here's some :angel:"PPP":angel: for Pauly........PPQP

Comment

af Saturday 7 September

holy snot! lookie what I found hiking today:

I offered it a dollar to go away
                      nosce te ipsum
                      (Know Thyself)

Comment

af Saturday 7 September

Now that's just damn creepy Det :H :H
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09